Texas Basketball 2023-24

MuellerHorn

40 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

You guys aren't psyched to check out Wyoming in person?!?!?!?

I was gonna sell some plasma to get tickets to the UNC-Greensboro game, but I see that's the same day as we're making the Liberty Bowl in football.  

I got a weird feeling this is either gonna the most epic athletic season for UT's marquee sports in 20 years or a stunning under-achievement.  I'm not happy about going to the SEC, but the decision's been made and just the Longhorn Network, the biggest budget in NCAA athletics, an advocative Tower, and all the NIL opportunities a city like Austin and our international alumni base can provide---we'll probably find a way to fuck it up.  But the good news?  Rodney Terry is a great coach.  the portal brought in some gems.  We have a good shot at winning the last league title of what has been the best basketball conference in the country for the better part of the last decade.  And I've been watching hours of tape of Houston Christian and Delaware State and I think we have an outside shot at beating both of them.  

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Yeah, this is not criticism toward RT, but that is the most uninspiring home non-con schedule I can remember. Probably going to hurt the team's computer metrics. Oh, well.

The computer metrics will like a road win at Marquette or neutral site win over Uconn or Indiana more than they would if the game was played in Austin. 

• Hook 'Em 1

In Beard’s first year the schedule was actually worse than this. We had that game at Gonzaga but other than that it was literal garbage. We entered conference play with 2 losses and that was seen as a failure.

Marquette and Uconn (if we draw them at MSG) will both be preseason top 10 teams. Indiana will also be solid. LSU will probably be meh but I do like we are playing that in Houston.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

For football, our BMDs appreciated the fun away trip to the mountains.

Wait, so our BMDs liked a road trip to the mountains--a trip they have enough money to take if they wanted to at any point in the year--so much they decided to put that university on the home schedule for a pay day for a few years? 

I'm not saying you're wrong because you have more connections than I do, but that really seems like poor logic. 

30 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Wait, so our BMDs liked a road trip to the mountains--a trip they have enough money to take if they wanted to at any point in the year--so much they decided to put that university on the home schedule for a pay day for a few years? 

I'm not saying you're wrong because you have more connections than I do, but that really seems like poor logic. 

I believe it was @closetojumping that mentioned that one - I'll let him correct me if I misinterpreted it.

12 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

The computer metrics will like a road win at Marquette or neutral site win over Uconn or Indiana more than they would if the game was played in Austin. 

We don't really need non-con computer metrics anyway. We play in the B12.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, BigOrange1 said:

he got crowdsourced last year for talking shit about Isaiah Neyor right after he got injured.

Oh, guess I missed all that. Didn't even know how Neyor is, but I now see he's a Wyoming transfer. Guess TheVirginian took it too personally and showed his ass. Shame as he'd been posting here and TOS for many years.

Just now, BurntOrange&White said:

Texas shouldn't be going on road trips to g6 teams. 

It's bizarre that I have been warped into a basketball thread talking about football scheduling. That said, there are multiple G6 locations that many folks would find attractive for a road trip if a 2 for 1 were scheduled. Wyoming, Colorado State, Tulane, Army, Navy, Air Force, UMass, Hawaii, SDSU, UNLV and Stanford all come to mind. I vehemently detest the idea of playing a FCS program, but if Montana State (Bozeman) or Maine were added, I'd use that as an excuse to visit those places and make my peace with it.

That all considered, outside of Rice, the last I heard was that there weren't any 2 for 1s with G6 programs being contemplated any time soon.

• Hook 'Em 1

By playing 32 games.  Glad to see they did what we thought they'd do.  They want a UCONN/TEXAS title game on Monday night.  Should obviously happen.  We won't get any RPI/SOS points with the Cardinals.  But it does take me back to that 1997 Big Dance game with 'em in the Elite 8.  Didn't realize until this morning that who we play once versus twice (fee times a madie!) in league rotation will have a damn serious effect on our computer stats considering our non-conf. schedule is UCONN, Marquette, and 11 teams that I'm not sure have active basketball programs.  

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

By playing 32 games.  Glad to see they did what we thought they'd do.  They want a UCONN/TEXAS title game on Monday night.  Should obviously happen.  We won't get any RPI/SOS points with the Cardinals.  But it does take me back to that 1997 Big Dance game with 'em in the Elite 8.  Didn't realize until this morning that who we play once versus twice (fee times a madie!) in league rotation will have a damn serious effect on our computer stats considering our non-conf. schedule is UCONN, Marquette, and 11 teams that I'm not sure have active basketball programs.  

This is a bit of a stretch. UCONN/Indiana has more of a pull on name alone than UCONN/Texas, especially at MSG and since they are both blue bloods. My guess is they wanted to guarantee a UCONN/Indiana game and didn't want to chance it with one of them winning and the other not or something worse--them both losing in the semis game. 

So no, I wouldn't say our non-con will automatically have UCONN on it rather it's a high possibility. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Most NYC MSG games are probably corporate seats aside from the university sections. Even though there were no seats “available” last year, you could probably get a lower level seat for $20 or less the day of. I tried listing one extra for 50 percent of face and couldn’t get a bite (even with Duke being one of the teams) - ended up just giving it away to a friend.

17 minutes ago, KingBobo81 said:

Most NYC MSG games are probably corporate seats aside from the university sections. Even though there were no seats “available” last year, you could probably get a lower level seat for $20 or less the day of. I tried listing one extra for 50 percent of face and couldn’t get a bite (even with Duke being one of the teams) - ended up just giving it away to a friend.

Yeah I used to go to that tournament every year and just buy the tickets for like $15 day-of. For the less marquee early game, I'd usually be one of the few people there - even got picked for the halftime on-court dizzy bat at Texas-Cal.

• Hook 'Em 1