2023 MLB thread

shadow_operative2.0

Shoulder surgery at his age rarely ends well.

Los Angeles Dodgers starter Clayton Kershaw announced on Instagram that he underwent surgery on his throwing shoulder but hopes to return next summer.

He posted: "This morning I underwent a surgical procedure to repair the gleno-humeral ligaments and capsule of my left shoulder. I am thankful for the expertise of Dr. ElAttrache who performed the surgery. I am hopeful to return to play at some point next summer. Thanks for your prayers!"

There had been uncertainty as to whether Kershaw would be returning. He played his 16th season on a one-year, $20 million deal and is an unrestricted free agent.

Kershaw, 35, has battled back issues and other injuries in recent years, but he was effective over 24 starts this season. He went 13-5 with a 2.46 ERA and 137 strikeouts in 131⅔ innings.

My insider sources told me where Ohtani ends up. 

Boston a possible place for Ohtani!

https://nesn.com/2023/11/espn-lists-red-sox-among-potential-suitors-for-shohei-ohtani/amp/

Seattle a possible place for Ohtani!

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/mariners/why-shohei-ohtani-joining-the-mariners-would-make-even-more-sense-now/

Los Angeles a possible place for Ohtani!

https://amp.foxsports.com/stories/mlb/shohei-ohtani-free-agency-los-angeles-dodgers-the-favorites

Houston a possible place for Ohtani!

https://www.si.com/mlb/astros/news/houston-astros-darkhorse-land-shohei-ohtani-mlb-free-agency

Rangers a possible place for Ohtani!

https://www.si.com/mlb/angels/news/angels-al-west-rival-reportedly-among-shohei-ohtanis-preferred-landing-spots-rks97

Cubs a possible place for Ohtani!

https://www.si.com/mlb/cubs/news/chicago-cubs-listed-among-favorites-pursue-shoehei-ohtani-mlb-free-agency

St Louis a possible place for Ohtani!

https://www.si.com/mlb/cardinals/news/mlb-insider-makes-surprise-suggestion-about-cardinals-could-st-louis-make-shocking-move-pat3

Atlanta a possible place for Ohtani!

https://housethathankbuilt.com/posts/how-ohtani-s-injury-could-give-atlanta-braves-a-chance-to-sign-him-in-2024-01hay71cc3xv

Toronto a possible place for Ohtani!

https://jaysjournal.com/posts/blue-jays-insider-sparks-shohei-ohtani-blue-jays-rumors-we-are-ready-to-be-hurt-again

Mets a possible place for Ohtani!

https://www.si.com/mlb/angels/news/shohei-ohtani-rumors-mets-could-be-all-in-on-former-angels-star-cn2002

Yankees a possible place for Ohtani!

https://hudsonreporter.com/sports/yankees-eye-superstar-shohei-ohtani/

San Diego as possible place for Ohtani!

https://www.si.com/mlb/padres/news/shohei-ohtani-rumors-insider-says-padres-have-second-best-odds-to-land-two-way-sensation-cn2002

Baltimore as possible place for Ohtani!

https://fansided.com/posts/mlb-rumors-3-new-teams-afford-shohei-ohtani

Giants as a possible place for Ohtani!

https://www.si.com/mlb/giants/rumors/sf-giants-rumors-shohei-ohtani

Twins a possible place for Ohtani!

https://zonecoverage.com/2023/mn-twins-news/what-if-the-twins-went-for-broke-and-signed-shohei-ohtani/

Phillies as possible place for Ohtani!

https://www.si.com/mlb/phillies/news/philadelphia-phillies-among-top-teams-expected-pursue-shohei-ohtani

Nationals as a possible place for Ohtani!

https://theathletic.com/4845514/2023/09/08/ohtani-free-agency-contract-mlb-teams/?amp=1

Pittsburgh as a possible place for Ohtani!

https://amp.marca.com/en/mlb/pittsburgh-pirates/2023/08/17/64de6f8122601d466b8b45ac.html

Angels as a possible place for Ohtani!

https://clutchpoints.com/angels-news-mike-trout-bold-prediction-shohei-ohtani-free-agency

You heard it here first, folks!

• Haha 3

Gotdam, could Geddy Lee be any cooler?

Speaking on the phone from his home office, Geddy Lee asks if he can take a second to grab one particular baseball. He knows its story by heart but wants to get it exactly right, in its own words. Of the hundreds of baseballs Lee has collected, this ball is among the least valuable. There are items in his collection worth well over $100,000. They are signed by U.S. presidents and baseball Hall of Famers; they have been thrown in no-hitters and hit for milestone home runs.

ADVERTISEMENT

But Lee has reached for a ball signed by Bert Shepard, a left-handed pitcher who pitched exactly one game in the major leagues before fading into obscurity. When Shepard signed the ball, he found room between the seams to write his life’s story.

“I lost my right leg being shot down over Germany in World War II,” Lee says, reading from the ink. “I got a new leg and pitched for the Washington Senators.”

At this, Lee starts laughing, but it’s an emotional laugh, as if the smile is helping him choke back something more. Lee’s parents were Holocaust survivors.

“And then on August 14, 1945,” Lee continues, “gave up one run and three hits in five and one-third innings.”

It is a box score brought to vivid, handwritten life, and when the bulk of Lee’s memorabilia goes to auction next month, that ball will not be among the items for sale. How could anyone put a price on something like that?

“To me, it’s kind of just a miraculous thing,” Lee said.

If there is such a thing as wholesome indulgence, this is it. Lee, 70, is the singer and renowned bass player of the Canadian rock band Rush. He is in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, his signature literally etched into its walls. He is a rock star in every sense of the word.

But Lee is also a meticulous curator of the American pastime. Over many decades, Lee has filled his office with baseball treasures. He has a a 1917 Chicago White Sox ball signed by Shoeless Joe Jackson, a 1942 Negro Leagues ball signed by Josh Gibson, and a Mickey Mantle bat that’s been traced back to the 1960 World Series. He also has a ball signed by The Beatles and four signed by John F. Kennedy. It is a collection of Rock and Roll excess, but also of passion and stewardship.

Some 300 items from Lee’s collection will be auctioned by Christie’s on December 6. It is being billed as “Selections from The Collection of Geddy Lee,” and the auction house has estimated The Beatles ball alone to be worth upwards of $300,000. Same for the Mantle bat and a ball signed by Rube Waddell. One of the Kennedy autographs could fetch $100,000. It’s a lot of money.

ADVERTISEMENT

“If you really look at it from an abstract point of view, it’s greed,” Lee said. “You want to own the game. You want to own a piece of every great player, to hold in your hand a ball that was signed by Lou Gehrig. It just became a magnificent obsession for me.”

What’s telling, though, are the pieces Lee has decided to keep, and the unmistakable care with which he accumulated so many artifacts in the first place.

“Baseballs, nobody owns them,” Lee said. “They’re like houses. You take care of them for a while, and then they move on to the next person, the next custodian.”

Lee always liked baseball, even if he was never ticketed for the major leagues. As a kid in Toronto, he tried out for a local team but didn’t make it. He grew up listening to American League broadcasts from Buffalo and fell in love with Norm Cash, Al Kaline and the potent Tigers teams of the 1960s. Toronto had a Triple A team in those days — the Blue Jays wouldn’t arrive for more than a decade — and Lee took a streetcar to see the pros play. He can still picture the wooden bleachers.

By the 1970s, though, Lee was a musician. Playing the game had been replaced by playing on stage, and so he toured the U.S. and Canada, sleeping in hotel rooms past noon, eating breakfast at 1 p.m., and searching the television for something worth watching in the middle of the day. What he found were Cubs games on WGN and eventually Braves games on TBS. His passion was rekindled, and Lee was wired for obsession.

ADVERTISEMENT

When the broadcasts mentioned players from bygone eras, Lee thumbed through The Baseball Encyclopedia and thrilled at the colorful nicknames of the past. He read Hoopla by Harry Stein and The Southpaw by Mark Harris. He discovered the writings of Roger Angell and Roger Kahn. In 1979, he returned home from tour and contacted the Blue Jays — in their third year of existence and on their way to a third-straight 100-loss season — and purchased season tickets, which he shared with his brother.

“We would ride our bikes down to the old Exhibition Stadium and watch game after game,” Lee said. “As many as I could when I wasn’t on the road.”

Rush already had three albums certified gold. In a little more than a year, the band would begin recording its iconic, five-times-platinum Moving Pictures. For that summer, though, Lee was just a 25-year-old kid riding his bike to baseball games with his brother.

Play: Video

Perhaps he’s being coy, but Lee says he “inherited” the ball signed by every member of the 3,000-hit club. It came to him with more than 20 signatures — Ty Cobb, Eddie Collins, Tris Speaker, Stan Musial — and through various connections in the game, Lee’s been able to keep it up to date. Ichiro Suzuki. Miguel Cabrera. Albert Pujols.

“It’s a big job to keep adding to it,” Lee said. “And I’m running out of space, too!”

Lee was hesitant at first to ask for autographs. His bandmate Neil Peart was notoriously leery of the celebrity spotlight, and Lee didn’t like the idea of hassling ballplayers on the field or in the clubhouse. He came into autograph collecting by chance. His blossoming obsession led to a Blue Jays front-office connection who gifted Lee and his brother a set of baseballs signed by various American League players. With those tucked away at home, Lee was on tour in Kansas City when he stumbled upon a memorabilia shop and purchased a signed photo of Satchel Paige and another of Bobby Thomson’s “shot heard round the world.”

Soon after, he called that Kansas City shop looking for advice on obtaining a specific item.

ADVERTISEMENT

“I got in my head — and I think this is how every collector starts — wouldn’t it be cool to have a baseball signed by Babe Ruth?” Lee said.

The shop owner became a dear friend and mentor who eventually got him a Ruth ball. When Lee acquired the 3,000-hit ball, it was the shop owner who encouraged him to keep adding signatures; to not just admire a piece of history but to maintain it and enhance it.

The rock star talked for a half hour without swearing until he was asked whether he’s still in the fantasy baseball league he joined in the 1980s.

“Oh, f— yeah I am!” Lee said.

In the wake of the Moving Pictures album, when Rush was bigger than ever, Lee immersed himself in rotisserie baseball at a time when the hobby required a daily check of newspaper box scores. His league has grown notoriously complex and competitive, with minor-league players, long-term keepers and defensive statistics to make lineup building as realistic as possible. Lee sounded almost embarrassed to admit he hadn’t won it since 2019. Four whole years without a trophy, when his Blue Jays are just starting their fourth decade without one.

This season, Lee said, was something of a moral victory. He got off to such a bad start that, “I actually pondered whether I was getting too old for it.” But he traded for Pablo López, picked up Kodai Senga and Elly De La Cruz, and got a strong second half from Triston Casas. He finished in a respectable fourth place.

“When the season ends,” he said. “My God, I miss the box scores so much.”

Play: Video

Truth is, Lee has his own place in baseball history. It’s a footnote in the grand scheme of things, but it exists. Rush songs have been used as walk-up music, and former Padres play-by-play man Matt Vasgersian once called a home run by singing the chorus to Fly By Night on the air. Lee threw the ceremonial first pitch for the Blue Jays’ home opener in 2013, and he sang the Canadian national anthem for the All-Star Game in 1993. With no pitch pipe and no accompaniment, Lee walked up the microphone and sang a cappella  — but not before someone from the TV network told him he would be “happy to know” 80 million people were watching from home, which did little to calm his nerves.

ADVERTISEMENT

“The whole thing wound up being a very marvelous experience for me and very memorable,” Lee said. “But it’s one of those things: Once you do it once, why would you do it again?”

Lee’s brother-in-law took a picture of him from the stands, and 30 years later, that picture is still framed in Lee’s office. He also added to his baseball collection that day, though he didn’t mean to. Marlins closer Bryan Harvey, whom Lee didn’t know, gave him a baseball before the first pitch.

“And he just said, ‘This is for your son,’” Lee said. “I mean, how sweet is that?”

Lee is a collector by nature and a student of history by choice. He has collected art and wine, he wrote a book about his collection of bass guitars and he’s recently begun collecting watches. The baseball collection, he said, has given him a greater understanding of American history. He has a 1946 Montreal Royals baseball with Jackie Robinson’s signature on the sweet spot.

“As a Canadian, that’s a marvelous piece,” Lee said.

As a collector, though, Lee has come to believe that “collections need to be tended, and they need to be fed.” And in recent years, Lee realized he’d stopped feeding his baseball collection. In 2008, he purchased more than 200 baseballs signed by Negro League players and immediately donated the entire set to the Negro Leagues Baseball Museum. He’s made enough connections that people in the game still gift him artifacts, but he won’t sell any of the gifts. They’re priceless in their own way.

“I kept a lot of personal things, and a lot of things that I felt my grandson perhaps would be interested to take over eventually in time,” Lee said.

ADVERTISEMENT

Lee will sell the many baseballs in his collection that are signed by U.S. Presidents (an obsession back when he was still aggressively adding). He has Kennedy, Harry Truman, Franklin D. Roosevelt, and Lyndon B. Johnson, and some of the signatures are on actual ceremonial first-pitch baseballs. He will also sell the final-out balls from both of Johnny Vander Meer’s back-to-back no-hitters, themselves historical artifacts from a different angle.

Packing his office for the sale, Lee said, was an emotional experience. Each item had a history and a story, and some of them Lee had acquired in especially memorable ways. They meant something beyond their hefty price tags. But when Lee was finished packing, he dug into his archive to better display the items he was not ready or willing to let go.

“Within three days, my wife came into the office and said, ‘I thought you sold your baseballs!’” Lee said. “I said, ‘Well, yeah, some!’”

Some stories, and some baseballs, just aren’t for sale.

“Those are symbolic of the life of a person, to me,” Lee said. “I sit in the stands as a fan, and I marvel about the beauty of the sport and the grace with which it’s played. In almost every game something happens that you’ve never seen before. I mean, what sport can really boast that? That’s baseball to me.

“The items I collected over these years, I collected with passion, I collected with love, and I just have too much! It’s time to share with the world again. And that’s fine.”

It’s kind of just a miraculous thing.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

I think Counsell is a good manager, but that's a ridiculous number for him.  And it's a slap in the face to Ross.

Agreed. Making him the highest paid  manager when he has zero World Series appearances to his credit and a .368 playoff winning percentage(7-12) in 9 seasons is laughable. Ricketts lucked into his fortune through the genetic lottery, so I guess what does he care. 

5 hours ago, Blotto said:

Agreed. Making him the highest paid  manager when he has zero World Series appearances to his credit and a .368 playoff winning percentage(7-12) in 9 seasons is laughable. Ricketts lucked into his fortune through the genetic lottery, so I guess what does he care. 

I don't know, I was skeptical at first but all of the tv experts are loving this move, and if the Cubs open back up the purse now then things get interesting. Cubs have a good farm again and said to be very interested in a Juan Soto trade. No clue as to what happens, but the Cubs are going to be fun again in the offseason.

I'm going to watch this a couple more times but you can skip forward to the 6:45 mark, but this Brewers Show learning on the air is the single best thing to happen to the Cubs since August.

• Haha 4

39 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

For almost 30 years now shitty teams have been guaranteed to make a deep playoff run or win it all within a couple years of firing Buck Showalter. Not sure why he's still unemployed.

Because he was awesome on 'Seinfeld'     It boggles my mind that he was almost a decade younger than I am now when he was on that episode.  What in the fuck?  Baseball is just fucking weird.

Hate it for Oakland but that stadium is a nuisance. Vegas has too much money, they can build whatever stadium they want for any amount without taxing the locals. Owners are asking too much from taxpayers elsewhere in my opinion. I mentioned this in the NBA thread, OKC is being asked to fund $900 million for a new arena, the billionaire owners are pitching in $50 million. They have that laying around their couch cushions. Might be fun seeing them play in a minor league park for a while. I assume the Vegas AAA team will be relocated?

Edited by 'stache

On 11/16/2023 at 9:04 AM, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

Las Vegas A's are official.

MLB let fisher run everything into the ground. The team value probably increased 50% with the move to LV. He has zero incentive to field a competitive mlb team, the opposing teams fans will fill the stands for 82 games a year. MLB min salary cap should be within 15% of the max

• Hook 'Em 1

Just one of the coolest guys ever:

TOKYO — As many MLB teams scramble to find more pitching this offseason, Yoshinobu Yamamoto, Shota Imanaga, and Yuki Matsui are the names from Japan receiving attention.

Somehow, though, perhaps Japan’s most impressive arm has gone overlooked. There is a righty who just tallied his fourth consecutive complete-game victory, striking out at least nine batters in each outing. With another shutout before nearly 10,000 fans at the Tokyo Dome on Nov. 21, he lowered his earned run average to 0.25. And in this age of two-way players from Japan, he also has 4,367 hits in his combined career between the two countries.

ADVERTISEMENT

The right arm, and conviction, belong to Ichiro Suzuki.

Forget that the former Seattle Mariners star just turned 50 last month or that his fastball tops out at 86 miles per hour. For the fourth year since he retired from Major League Baseball in 2019, Suzuki has been the starting pitcher for a team of his own creation, playing against an amateur challenger.

Teamed with two former pro players, an insurance salesman, a company president, a kendo hobbyist, and a variety of others, Suzuki’s squad held a rematch against Japan’s national girls select high school baseball team earlier this week in an effort to promote girls’ baseball in the country.

The inspiration for creating his own team came to him by serendipity. While training over the winter nearly five years ago for what would become his final season with Seattle, he happened to attend a regional high school baseball tournament in Kobe, where he played during his time in Japan.

One of the participants was Chiben Wakayama, an esteemed program from Wakayama Prefecture south of Osaka that would win Japan’s summer national boys high school title in 2021. But it was something besides just their baseball that moved him.

“It was the brass band and the cheering section,” Suzuki explained, laughing at the unique style of student support common in Japanese high school baseball. “The fervor of these students was different than usual. I wondered what produced that passion. Even though they weren’t on the field, they were part of the team and their passion for being involved came straight from the heart. It was palpable and baseball was the inspiration for this unwavering dedication. I was overcome.”

ADVERTISEMENT

The experience sent him on a mission to try and recapture that feeling. He decided he would create a team with his friends and acquaintances. No prior baseball experience at any level was necessary. The only requirements were a passion for baseball and a dedication to being a part of a team in a way that matched the culture at Chiben Wakayama. In a nod to the school that inspired him, he named his team Kobe Chiben.

“Even though I retired as a professional, I wasn’t ready to give up the game I love,” Suzuki said. “The game brought a special joy to me as a kid and I craved to recapture that feeling. Don’t get me wrong, I had a completely fulfilling career. But let’s face it, the world of professional baseball is not enjoyable in the same way. It’s filled with pressure and responsibility.

“Your livelihood depends on performance. It’s dog eat dog and you’re fighting for your life every day because the threat of being benched or released or whatever is real. But it was a love for the game that inspired you from a young age to get there. I gave my best for 28 years as a pro. Now I want to go back and rediscover the purity of the joy this wonderful game can provide.”

As a known purveyor of fashion and style, he even designed the uniform himself. Clean white tops and pants with no stripes or piping. CHIBEN, written in capital royal blue letters across the chest, is outlined in navy blue. Kobe appears in Japanese characters on the left sleeve.

The white cap has a matching blue bill along with the team’s logo — a stylized “C” that, upon first glance, might appear similar to that of the Cincinnati Reds, but actually mimics the traditional red one of Chiben Wakayama. Kobe Chiben’s is royal blue and, to distinguish Suzuki’s design further from the high school, at the mouth of the “C”, he added a stylized hiragana character for “su,” the first sound in his last name.

ADVERTISEMENT

True to their leader’s desires, Kobe Chiben is an eclectic collection of characters from varied walks of life with athletic skills ranging from soon-to-be Hall of Famer to “Bad News Bears” level questionable. The tie that bonds them is a passion for coming together as a baseball team. The oldest player turns 62 this year; the average age is close to Suzuki’s 50.

“I had the thrill of playing with some of the all-time greats throughout my career,” Suzuki said. “But in retirement, now I’m in search of a different joy, the joy of playing with people who simply want to be the best they can, regardless of their athletic level. I don’t demand that they be good, I demand that they be dedicated. The joy derived from playing baseball with people who share a dedication to it is genuine.”

The timing was ripe for challenging the high school girls. Koshien Stadium near Kobe will celebrate 100 years of hosting the boys’ national high school baseball tournament next summer. Three seasons ago, it began hosting the girls’ national championship. As the girls craved more ways to grow their game and improve their play, Suzuki recognized an opportunity to help.

A game against Suzuki as the opposing pitcher — as well as former Boston Red Sox and Seibu Lions pitcher Daisuke Matsuzaka, who played shortstop — is sure to create a buzz for Japanese girls’ baseball, as clips from the recent contest began circulating around the world shortly afterward.

Therein lies another crucial key to understanding Suzuki’s current mission. He wants to inspire amateurs to discover the joy he has found through baseball, but in his own unique way which is heavy on example and light on talk.

“I believe that for me to have an impact on the youth, it’s imperative that I maintain the ability to play with them,” Suzuki explained. “The believability of my message is in my ability to move like a real player. Once I lose that, I think the effectiveness of my message diminishes. I’m a firm believer in the power of learning through observation rather than verbal instruction.”

No young player has likely witnessed that more firsthand than Mariners star outfielder Julio Rodríguez. Suzuki maintains his fitness and baseball skills by serving as an unofficial coach for the Mariners in his role as Special Assistant to the Chairman. He can be seen shagging fly balls in the outfield or pitching to hitters who want extra swings daily during spring training in Peoria, Ariz., and before every regular-season home game in Seattle.

Rodríguez and Suzuki after the ceremonial first pitch on opening day in Seattle in 2022. (Steph Chambers / Getty Images)
He’s also Rodríguez’s chosen throwing partner. The daily spectacle of 50-year-old Suzuki airing it out from the right field line to 22-year-old Rodríguez in left-center field is delightful. It has the endearing quality of a father-son catch, albeit at an uber-elite level, but here, the son figure always listens. Rodríguez often praises Suzuki for positively influencing his development as an all-around player, but Suzuki benefits, too. He said Rodríguez gave him one of his most joyful moments as an instructor.

ADVERTISEMENT

The young outfielder was struggling for an answer to why his throws from the outfield would sometimes veer from the target this past summer. He happened to be working on his throws to third base before a game one day when no player was around to join him. A 10-time Gold Glove outfielder, Suzuki jumped in as an extra participant, unaware of Rodríguez’s fret. An instant later, the young outfielder experienced a eureka moment.

“It was in the transfer of the ball from glove to hand,” Suzuki recalls. “This was the first time we had ever fielded grounders together so it’s not something he would observe just by playing catch. A light went off for him as soon as he observed the way I moved my glove hand in the transfer. He was happy, but that moment also gave me great satisfaction. I didn’t have to say anything, but because I can still play with him, I was able to impact him. It was such a happy moment for me, too.”

Clearly, he had a similar effect on the girls at the Tokyo Dome the other night. Throwing the same ball Rawlings makes for MLB games, Suzuki efficiently used 116 pitches to scatter five singles and get a double play and nine strikeouts when he needed them. His fastball hit 86 mph several times, 2 mph faster than what he’s reached in previous games.

However, his most inspiring performance was inducing the final 12 outs after tweaking his right leg sprinting out of the batter’s box on a fifth-inning double. His leg was clearly hurting the rest of the night, but he refused to give in, completing the game and offering a prime lesson in how to compete even when compromised.

With Suzuki finding such fulfillment in his unofficial capacities leading young players, could this perhaps lead to a full-time gig as a coach or manager at the pro level in America or Japan or even the World Baseball Classic?

“There are many qualified people to fill those roles,” Suzuki said. “I’ve always been motivated by doing unique things and I think I’m the only one who can do this. This is my calling.”

• Hook 'Em 3

lonestarball has a post up on cody bellinger.  evidently the fangraphs median contract for him is 6 years 144MM.  that could very well be an overpay by about 144MM.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/2024-top-50-mlb-free-agents/

i can't imagine a more stressful signing.  whatever gm gets him will know from day 1 that if it goes sideways, there were plenty of signs beforehand that everyone will be pointing to.

• 1 month later...

He’s turbo fucked …..
https://twitter.com/ortizkicks/status/1691288656730800128?s=46&t=cH-LvFrUDSIxqTdoyXUTxg

According to this report, the attorney general’s office in the Dominican Republic reports that there has been a complaint filed by a minor against Wander Franco. This girl is not the one linked to him through the previous viral social media videos.

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/rays-star-wander-franco-not-found-home-raids-investigation-alleged-relationship-minor-repor.amp

Authorities in the Dominican Republic reportedly conducted two home raids in search of Tampa Bay Rays star Wander Franco, but he was not found in either.

I'm sure he's.... wandering... around somewhere.