45 indicated

Cairn Horn88

6 minutes ago, The Dog said:

Read somewhere else that she was motivated to take a deal due to the Dominion lawsuit. She was scheduled to give a deposition for that and was worried she'd incriminate herself in this one. Something along those lines. 

I can see every reason in the world for her to take a misdemeanor plea.  Simple risk/reward there.

I can't see every reason in the world for Willis to give her one. 

What she had to offer must have been good. Chesebrough is, at least publicly, a lower-value target as between them.  He might be higher-value in the way that I mentioned.

15 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Here's maybe what I think may be going on with Powell.

As far as I remember, she was dismissed from the Trump clown car as too crazy by December 2020 at about the latest.  Her role was mostly confined to attempting to "prove" the election was stolen, whereas the key events in the federal criminal case really take place after that had become a lost cause.

So. I don't think she was really around for 1/6 or the predecessor events in the false elector scheme.

• Hook 'Em 4

10 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Then maybe she has more dirt on Trump than I thought/remembered.

Chesebrough has been more publicly associated with the false-elector scheme than she has, by far.

ETA:  So, I was right that she was dismissed earlier when the Kraken suits failed.  But it is correct that she was brought back, and this timeframe apparently was the crazy screaming meeting where Flynn advocated seizing the voting machines ant Trump contemplated appointing her Special Counsel.https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/fired-attorney-sidney-powell-back-advising-trump-chart/story?id=74823842

The fact that she was dismissed as crazy and then brought back may well factor into the "advice of counsel" defense and good faith reliance thereon.

It seems to me that there are three key facets to proving the conspiracy in the federal case, in order of importance:

• The false elector scheme and Trump's knowledge and endorsement thereof
  • The 1/6 speech, which was the culmination of bringing the false elector scheme to reality
  • The prior efforts to legally/judicially oveturn the results, ranging from fairly legit recount petitions and the like, to outre shit like the Kraken

It seems to me that proof of any one alone won't sustain a criminal conviction, it has to be sort of the continuum of events making a conspiracy out of it.

Edited by TwiceHorn

3 hours ago, SubliminalHorn said:

They’ve always held the line. They’ve always been the spine and heart of the country. They’ve just never been recognized for it. And really the Black community in general, when they had/have every reason to say “fuck you”

3 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

image.png.2301201af17d4bbf742b6f64429ec203.png

Truth Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

40 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

With Powell pleading and Jordan crashing, I’ll file today under gruntled.. 

Fox News is making sure people know she flipped on Trump.  I will enjoy the fact that she’s about to find out that MAGA is the proverbial tiger that they think they have by the tail, but instead it’s really this:

tiger-attack-joe-exotic.gif

or this

Uqdx.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

Trump posted again about the clerk in his real estate case violating his gag order. The judge has informed both sides it will be addressed on Friday in court. Let's hope he spends some time in a cell.

Donald Trump refused to take down a post attacking the law clerk of the judge overseeing his bank fraud trial in New York—blatantly violating the court’s gag order—and lawyers on both sides have just been notified that hell is nigh.

The New York Attorney General’s Office and the former president’s defense lawyers were told late Thursday that the issue will come up Friday morning in court, according to a source with knowledge of those discussions.

At issue is the way that Trump, who’s been visibly seething in court for weeks now over the prospect of losing his real estate empire, keeps ramping up his aggression toward Justice Arthur F. Engoron and his clerk, attorney Allison Greenfield.

On just his second day of trial, Trump took an unprecedented move that would get any other defendant thrown into a cell: He targeted the judge’s own staff by spreading a lie—and directing his MAGA battalion to her personal Instagram page.

He posted the same note on his political website and his Truth Social network, sharing a MAGA-aligned Twitter user’s post asking, “Why is Judge Engoron’s Principal Law Clerk, Allison R. Greenfield, palling around with Chuck Schumer?” But Trump went further, linking to Greenfield’s social media photos and drawing the attention of his huge fan base against her.

That very same day, the judge—clearly disturbed by the maneuver—spoke in a solemn tone as he warned Trump to never do it again. He also ordered the real estate tycoon to take down the spiteful attack.

‘Screaming’ Court Staffer Arrested, Trump Told to Simmer Down in Dramatic NY Trial

While Trump’s team immediately deleted the Truth Social post, they never bothered to take down the one on the former president’s website, DonaldJTrump.com. The court apparently didn’t notice that until Ron Filipkowski at the liberal website MeidasTouch wrote about it on Thursday, sparking a notification to attorneys on both sides.

A spokeswoman for the AG’s office declined to provide a comment. Trump’s lead attorney, Alina Habba, did not respond to a request for comment. The post was taken down late Thursday night. The webpage is now blank with a 404 error on display that reads, “The page you were looking for does not exist.”

Engoron has already warned Trump’s lawyers that “failure to abide” by his gag order “will result in serious sanctions.” Friday morning could be that showdown.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Here's maybe what I think may be going on with Powell.

As far as I remember, she was dismissed from the Trump clown car as too crazy by December 2020 at about the latest.  Her role was mostly confined to attempting to "prove" the election was stolen, whereas the key events in the federal criminal case really take place after that had become a lost cause.

So. I don't think she was really around for 1/6 or the predecessor events in the false elector scheme.  She certainly can testify as to Trump's state of mind and knowledge up until her dismissal, though.

By most accounts, Chesebrough was involved in those things, and heavily.

So Cephalopod Sid flips on Cheeseman, and Trump to an extent, and applies great pressure to Cheeseman to flip on the federal level.

she’s still fighting the dominion suit too

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, The Dog said:

Damnint!!!!

BN3UAPP63VNGRMPBRCMMSCXFXU.jpg

‘The Architect of the Whole Plan’: Harvard Law Graduate Ken Chesebro’s Path to Jan. 6

On Jan. 6, Kenneth J. Chesebro was seen outside the Capitol wearing a red “Trump 2020” hat as rioters amassed around the building, according to CNN. But two decades earlier, in Bush v. Gore, Chesebro worked extensively under liberal legal scholar Laurence H. Tribe to craft a legal justification to recount votes in Florida.

He won't be the only Harvard grad on his cell wing for long.  Guess what? ANOTHER black woman will be pulling his degree.  Say "hello" to Claudine Gray, Harvard University President:

121422_Claudine_Gay_2-1-1-1024x683-1-768

image.jpeg.30fcb5f42b42b8b794c65d5c0099954e.jpeg

Edited by Bullneck
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, safe sex said:

Literally any other person would be locked up, right?

Not necessarily no.  A single violation of a gag order -- and tbh this really isn't a separate violation -- probably gets you a fine and a warning that the next one may put you in jail for a few days.

Sometimes, something resembling a gag order is part of your bail/pretrial release conditions.  Yeah, violate that and you may get sent back to the pokey, especially in the federal system.

But when the gag order is separate from bail/release conditions, the order of punishment is usually as follows:  fine, bigger fine, jail.

Also, some federal judges, but not all of them, do not suffer fools and are more likely to do something harsh first time out of the box.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Biff Tannen said:

I think this is actually what he wants at this point.  Spend a night in a cell and get his base all riled up.  He paints himself as a victim and the right froths.

He doesn't want to go to jail. He does this shit because he thinks he can get away with it and fundraise.

He fucked up and is finding out.

• Hook 'Em 8

6 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I think this is actually what he wants at this point.  Spend a night in a cell and get his base all riled up.  He paints himself as a victim and the right froths.

Honestly, I hope that Engoron doesn't do it.

I might guess here's what happens:  Trump will claim it was inadvertent and it will be difficult to prove otherwise.  If he's jailed for any length of time, he may seek a writ of habeas corpus and that might be granted on the ground that it's not a "new" violation of the order and in any case not purposeful.  And then he will claim vindication and Engoron hopelessly biased etc.

Seemingly, there will be other opportunities for Trump to get his tit in the wringer for more clear cut violations.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I might guess here's what happens:  Trump will claim it was inadvertent and it will be difficult to prove otherwise.  If he's jailed for any length of time, he may seek a writ of habeas corpus and that might be granted on the ground that it's not a "new" violation of the order and in any case not purposeful.  And then he will claim vindication and Engoron hopelessly biased etc.

Seemingly, there will be other opportunities for Trump to get his tit in the wringer for more clear cut violations.

I think it really was inadvertent and he and his lawyers didn't even know it was there.

The problem is he's lost any benefit of the doubt. 

• Hook 'Em 2

21 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

dfccc094-ffb1-4b6e-8790-3d7c0447a928_tex

• Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Counter point...  he goes to jail and the same loud 1% just make noise and nothing happens.  Either way it's the jail that suffers.

38 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I don't want him going to jail for this because then I'll be all ...

jizz-jizzed-in-my-pants.gif

I'm trying to last until he actually gets put away forreals.

• Haha 6

2 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Interdasting.

Really hope they're giving up the goods, bigtime, bro.

If, as many suspect, this was the RICO strategery all along, it seems to be working.

I know some pleas are pursued/accepted by the prosecution because even they might believe their case is weak. While maybe that's possible here, I presume that Chesebro and Powell didn't believe that. They don't seem like the type to back down easily. 

“Stepping back, we can see that the commitment to actual facts is the reason why Powell’s plea and Willis’s entire case — along with that of Special Counsel Jack Smith’s — matter so much. Avalanches occur when the bonds between layers of snow are weak. So too, in successful prosecutions of collaborators, the pace of guilty pleas quickens after the first bonds that tie co-conspirators together give way under the weight of evidence.” https://themessenger.com/opinion/sidney-powell-guilty-plea-deal-georgia-fani-willis-trump-giuliani-prosecution

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Hopefully he gets some time.

5 years probation, $5K, letter, community service.  And he's filing his plea as a first time offender so at the end of his probation, he can legally claim that he was never convicted.

However I would assume that state bars will have an issue with a felony. Or is that not a big deal. non-lawyer here.

2 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

HE absolutely does not want to go to jail at any point.  He'll bluster and bluff, but jail is the last thing this douche wants.  

17 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

5 years probation, $5K, letter, community service.  And he's filing his plea as a first time offender so at the end of his probation, he can legally claim that he was never convicted.

However I would assume that state bars will have an issue with a felony. Or is that not a big deal. non-lawyer here.

Oof the felony is conspiracy to file false documents.

Texas almost automatically suspends (in the case of a non-conviction, deferred arrangement like this) or disbars (straight-up conviction by plea or trial) those with felony convictions.  I imagine most states are similar (in fact, know they are with some variation, at least as of about 20 years ago).

There is a slight bit of wiggle room in Texas in the event the felony is not one of moral turpitude, which generally means directly impacts one's fitness to practice law.  But filing false documents is most likely not going to be one of those offenses.

Of course, AFAIK he's not licensed in Texas, but I think the licensing/discipline schemes are pretty similar nationwide.

So, this plea highly likely jeopardizes his law license.  He must have been quite fearful of a conviction.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Drool 1