45 indicated

Cairn Horn88

7 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

Not only is this hypothesis contradicting known facts, it fails against Occam's Razor for the facts it does attempt to explain.

Trump thought he'd win. He thought he'd get away with it, yet again. He doesn't know a good attorney from a bad one, except that they're willing to do whatever he wants them to. He failed.

I really don't understand why so many of you are determined to give this idiot more credit than he's earned. He's not going to regain power because of his brilliant scheming; if he regains power, it will be because of the stupidity of those who give it to him.

I'm not trying to tell you any of what he did was smart, quite the contrary.  I am trying to say that in his feeble mind how he perceives this as some sort of victory.  He's wrong.  His pattern is increasingly clear, complete narcissism (nothing new there), compounded now with delusion with (again my opinion) a strong assist to cognitive decline.  He isn't going to do any better in any of the criminal trials either, we will see the same pattern repeated; absolute implosion.  In his mind though, he thinks he's somehow winning, he isn't.  

4 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

I'm not trying to tell you any of what he did was smart, quite the contrary.  I am trying to say that in his feeble mind how he perceives this as some sort of victory.  He's wrong.  His pattern is increasingly clear, complete narcissism (nothing new there), compounded now with delusion with (again my opinion) a strong assist to cognitive decline.  He isn't going to do any better in any of the criminal trials either, we will see the same pattern repeated; absolute implosion.  In his mind though, he thinks he's somehow winning, he isn't.  

He doesn't see this as a victory, though. Based on every comment I've seen from him since... and comments he made in earshot of reporters...

That, right there, is THE fact that you hypothesis ignores. Not the only one, but it's a doozy.

Edited by Rimbo

Here's what I think is going on with Trump.  When confronted with a new factual or legal situation, I think he looks at it pretty much like anyone else in terms of this is good for me or this is bad for me.

As things turn bad for him in an objective way, his genius/madness is the ability to turn that negative into a positive by his relentless flood of bullshit.  At the outset, I think he knows it's bullshit, too.

Where it starts to get weird is that he, like his followers, begins to believe the bullshit.  And probably also that things that are actually bad for him are maybe actually good for him.

The thing is, the stuff that's happening to him now is worse than anything that's happened to him to date.  He can't escape the possibility of conviction and jail time, or liquidation of his NY entities.  In his prior legal entanglements, in the end it was always just money, and, no matter how stiff the judgment, thought he could negotiate and settle for less and then brag about it if anyone questioned him.  Not so much now.

I'm guessing the stress of it is cooking his brain and helps account for his apparently accelerating dementia.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

16 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

No fucking way I'm signing up for a Truth Social (or whatever the fuck it's called) account.

Nobody has ever had to sign up or be a user to see a post

16 hours ago, TexasHooch said:

Infuriating? Get over yourself.

When I posted the tweet, it had only just begun to circulate, and hadn't yet been debunked in any posts or replies that I could find at the time. As I don't have an account on Truth to verify the source, I went with it.  

Infuriating... What the fuck ever.

No you go fuck yourself. You don’t need an account. “I don’t have time to do that 5 second thing when I’m on the internet”

By the numbers: Truth Social's parent company, Trump Media & Technology Group, generated a total of $3.38 million in revenue for the first nine months of 2023.

• It reports a $49 million net loss during the same period, including around $26 million in Q3.

17 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

No fucking way I'm signing up for a Truth Social (or whatever the fuck it's called) account.

There are some bots on twitter or X or whatever Elon's wet dream is to call it that just reposts Trumps 'Truths' so you don't have to.

@trumpDailyposts

@truthtrumpposts

@trumptruthposts

etc.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Here's what I think is going on with Trump.  When confronted with a new factual or legal situation, I think he looks at it pretty much like anyone else in terms of this is good for me or this is bad for me.

As things turn bad for him in an objective way, his genius/madness is the ability to turn that negative into a positive by his relentless flood of bullshit.  At the outset, I think he knows it's bullshit, too.

Where it starts to get weird is that he, like his followers, begins to believe the bullshit.  And probably also that things that are actually bad for him are maybe actually good for him.

The thing is, the stuff that's happening to him now is worse than anything that's happened to him to date.  He can't escape the possibility of conviction and jail time, or liquidation of his NY entities.  In his prior legal entanglements, in the end it was always just money, and, no matter how stiff the judgment, thought he could negotiate and settle for less and then brag about it if anyone questioned him.  Not so much now.

I'm guessing the stress of it is cooking his brain and helps account for his apparently accelerating dementia.

Pretty good explanation of it. He grew up I think in the Unitarian Church with all that power of positive thinking crap that he just takes to the extreme. 
What I don’t understand is how his flock thinks of him as a strong man when he is constantly portraying himself as a victim of others who are logically stronger and more powerful than him.  Have you ever seen a public figure who is more victimized than him according to his own response to every situation?  Everything is always “unfair”. 

16 minutes ago, CTC2 said:

Have you ever seen a public figure who is more victimized than him according to his own response to every situation?  Everything is always “unfair”. 

4 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

That's just fascism. That's how every fascist strongman acts and it's the source of his appeal to other fascists. 

Yeah this is just historically consistent fascism in action. Hitler and mussolini both LOVED to play the victim about how the media and establishment were so unfair to them during their rise to power - it's how they motivated their street fighters (brown shirts) to go take the streets.

43 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

Nobody has ever had to sign up or be a user to see a post

No you go fuck yourself. You don’t need an account. “I don’t have time to do that 5 second thing when I’m on the internet”

By the numbers: Truth Social's parent company, Trump Media & Technology Group, generated a total of $3.38 million in revenue for the first nine months of 2023.

• It reports a $49 million net loss during the same period, including around $26 million in Q3.

Uh Oh, I've infuriated him again.

Edited by TexasHooch
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I love how he's forgotten, and his base has forgotten, that he could have had a jury trial but didin't becuase his lawyer didn't file the paperwork. Then he was denied a jury. THE JUDGE ALREADY DECIDED. Ok bud. 

His base didn't forget - they were never told that his lawyer screwed up and/or flat out denied that they had the opportunity. 

Fox et al just don't tell their audience the truth and parrot whatever Trump wants them to say.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, The Dog said:

His base didn't forget - they were never told that his lawyer screwed up and/or flat out denied that they had the opportunity. 

Yup.  Unrelated, but the other day I posted on an old HS classmate's Facebook page the chart of border arrests since 1990 that show they're at an all-time high.  He was "smart" enough not to take the bait, but some wingnut friend of his asked for an explanation.  I explained it:  more arrests than in (at least 34) years.  

She said "nope, I don't believe it, not from this administration."  Government data.  Deep state, I guess.  Fucking fact-free morons, all of them.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 3

7 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Government data.  Deep state, I guess.

FaKe DaTa

To pull from the 2016 "unemployment figures were cooked and not the 'real numbers'," but faked to help Hillary

1 hour ago, The Dog said:

Fox et al just don't tell their audience the truth and parrot whatever Trump wants them to say.

Weirdly enough, Engoron seemed to cover for them by indicating that no jury was permitted.  But I don't think that's established and the only way to have found out was to have demanded one, which they failed to do.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, BamaATL said:

The same guy that touts to never admit when you're wrong and continue saying the lie until they believe it, will also not admit to defeat.  The person that won't admit to losing because that's for dogs, and soldiers, apparently, has painted himself into a corner.  But then again he always does this and his sycophants bail him out. Grab 'em by the pussy out front should have shown us.  

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

sooo, guessing he already knows how Engoron is going to rule. I mean, can no one else read his tells at this point? he's clearly trying to get ahead of the next failure

Amazing how evidence works.  So the no camera's part was the next goal, so he could reinterpret the scene from Birth of a Nation.  And for those still thinking Trump's not racist, that's how the portrait the film Birth of a Nation portrayed black congressmen.  Trump is blowing on his dog whistle again.  

"Some opponents of Reconstruction tried to erase black officials from the historical record altogether. In Georgia, after the Democrats regained control of Georgia’s government, Alexander Abrams, who compiled the legislative manual each year, announced that he was going to omit black lawmakers from the biographical sketches. He wrote, “I am not going to include these Black legislators because it would be absurd to record the lives of men who were but yesterday our slaves and whose past careers embrace such occupations as boot blacking, shaving, table waiting, and the like.” A quote like this reveals the combination of racism and class prejudice that went into the opposition to Reconstruction. It wasn’t just that these men were black, but that they were poor, that seemed to mark them as being somehow ineligible to be part of the public world.

Historical accounts echoed these charges. They were also perpetuated in cultural representations. In the film Birth of a Nation, for example, there is a scene in the South Carolina Legislature with black members taking off their shoes and putting their bare feet up on the table to show how ridiculous and incompetent they supposedly were. Gone with the Wind has similar scenes."

Edited by Mdhorn

On 1/29/2024 at 6:38 AM, TwiceHorn said:

The only thing stopping him from jumping off a highway bridge into an 18 wheeler is the support and reinforcement of his cult. When faced with the crushing reality of failure and inevitable consequences the main narcissist in my life did just that. 

• Rage+1 1

12 minutes ago, TexasEd said:

The only thing stopping him from jumping off a highway bridge into an 18 wheeler is the support and reinforcement of his cult. When faced with the crushing reality of failure and inevitable consequences the main narcissist in my life did just that. 

Hope Please GIF by Mac-Nutrition

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Remember how upthread I mentioned that the absence of actual losses beyond "systemic" losses might be a factor on appeal (or before) in whether to order dissolution of Trump's businesses in the NY AG case?

More on that.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/taking-trumps-business-empire-stand-new-york-fraud-106754158

An Associated Press analysis of nearly 70 years of civil cases under the law showed that such a penalty has only been imposed a dozen previous times, and Trump’s case stands apart in a significant way: It’s the only big business found that was threatened with a shutdown without a showing of obvious victims and major losses.

ETA:  One thing the article says is that James actually didn't ask for dissolution remedies, but Engoron seemed to impose them on summary judgment.  Normally, I'd chalk that up to poor reporting, but this article seems thorough and accurate.

ETAA:  According to the article:

In a footnote in a 94-page summary document filed earlier this month, Letitia James suggested a compromise decision for Engoron: Appoint an independent monitor to oversee Trump’s operations for five years, after which the court could decide whether to revoke his business certificates and possibly put him out of business.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Remember how upthread I mentioned that the absence of actual losses beyond "systemic" losses might be a factor on appeal (or before) in whether to order dissolution of Trump's businesses in the NY AG case?

More on that.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/taking-trumps-business-empire-stand-new-york-fraud-106754158

ETA:  One thing the article says is that James actually didn't ask for dissolution remedies, but Engoron seemed to impose them on summary judgment.  Normally, I'd chalk that up to poor reporting, but this article seems thorough and accurate.

ETAA:  According to the article:

I’m assuming this means Engoron overplayed his hand and you think nothing of consequence will come of this.

• Hook 'Em 1

49 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

I’m assuming this means Engoron overplayed his hand and you think nothing of consequence will come of this.

Not that I think that, but it's a possibility.  And not nothing.  There is going to be a significant monetary penalty and maybe something short of total destruction of the Trump "empire" in NY.  The monitor thing mentioned above sounds super-plausible.

7 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Not that I think that, but it's a possibility.  And not nothing.  There is going to be a significant monetary penalty and maybe something short of total destruction of the Trump "empire" in NY.  The monitor thing mentioned above sounds super-plausible.

And the monitor's name will be Hillary Clinton.  

C'mon.  The sim must be entertained.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Habba’s newest claim of a conflict of interest because the judge and Carroll’s lawyer worked at the same firm a couple decades ago is the kind of thing that MAGA base eats up and normal lawyers roll their eyes. She can’t even cite the judicial code relevantly. 

Also, if they didn’t know the complete history of the judge and opposing counsel long ago, they’re even worse at this law thing than it appears. My guess is they already knew the history, knew they’d get their ass kicked, and then could act like this is “relationship” is new information they learned is a conflict the base would bleed on about. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, dcbc said:

And the monitor's name will be Hillary Clinton.  

C'mon.  The sim must be entertained.

I hate Hillary but this would be funny.

2 minutes ago, gernblansten said:

Habba’s newest claim of a conflict of interest because the judge and Carroll’s lawyer worked at the same firm a couple decades ago is the kind of thing that MAGA base eats up and normal lawyers roll their eyes. She can’t even cite the judicial code relevantly. 

Also, if they didn’t know the complete history of the judge and opposing counsel long ago, they’re even worse at this law thing than it appears. My guess is they already knew the history, knew they’d get their ass kicked, and then could act like this is “relationship” is new information they learned is a conflict the base would bleed on about. 

Because she isn't being paid to be a lawyer but to be a performance artist for an audience of one.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Not killing Trump's business, but having someone else over it is in my mind the best option because IMO:

1.) It'll make his blood boil to have someone else looking over his shoulder while he runs his eponymous company.

2.) Likelier we see some of his illegal and shady practices exposed as they can't help themselves / it's the only thing he and the fam knows

3.) Trying to run it on the up-and-up will cause it to fail as it's just one big scheme thereby only prolonging the misery

4.) His martyrdom is diminished somewhat as he can't say the libs shut him down.

Edited by Dnaguy
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

On 1/29/2024 at 7:38 AM, TwiceHorn said:

image.png.40608655b29e4fc8a5e2ed9225922f33.png

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Dnaguy said:

Not killing Trump's business, but having someone else over it is in my mind the best option because IMO:

1.) It'll make his blood boil to have someone else looking over his shoulder why he runs his eponymous company

2.) Likelier we see some of his illegal and shady practices exposed as they can't help themselves / it's the only thing he and the fam knows

3.) Trying to run it on the up-and-up will cause it to fail as it's just one big scheme thereby only prolonging the misery

4.) His martyrdom is diminished somewhat as he can't say the libs shut him down.

I think I tend to agree.  Also a monitor might have some discretion to free up money to pay judgments like to Carroll.

I'm not saying I want this to happen.  I just have a pretty good spidey-sense as to how things will go a lot of the time and that article echos a lot of my thoughts on it.

17 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Serious question that I ask with some snark: Why would it take longer than oh 30 seconds? 

Best guess is a judge that likes to sniff his/her own farts is writing a long and completely unnecessary concurrence.