Caitlin Clark …. Seriously

MirrOlure

On 2/20/2024 at 2:44 PM, closetohumping said:

Per Sheryl swoopes she’s already played 8 years.  That’s the only way she broke scoring record

Well, she's not wrong.  I feel the same way about NFL records from when the season was 12 games being broken when they now play 17 games.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/22/2024 at 9:35 AM, HtownHorn said:

Swoopes is so jealous that a white, Catholic, straight woman going to do more for the WNBA than her 4 chamopionships every did.

Allegedly it's one of the worst kept secrets in Iowa City that the McCaffery kid is a beard.  I couldn't give any less of a shit, but I wouldn't be surprised if that's true.

On 2/23/2024 at 11:00 PM, DixonHur said:

Well, she's not wrong.  I feel the same way about NFL records from when the season was 12 games being broken when they now play 17 games.

Clark is in her 4th year.

• Like 2

I think it's great, a record is a record. All sports have a discussion about how the game has changed, more games played, and basketball in particular is skewed by the introduction of the three point line. She has done it in four years so there's no covid extension to pump the numbers. 

I think Clark is a badass and congrats to her on the all time scoring record for women. I think advertising that she took the men's record from Pistol Pete, like that has any relevance to women's college basketball, is dumb. They arent even the same sport (different balls, rules, and levels of competition) and it is just attention whoring from the media. 

But she might end up being the best female basketball player ever before it is all said and done. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

I wish that when people break records that we didn't trip all over ourselves to find reasons not to be impressed by it. 

14 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Her court vision and passing get overshadowed by her scoring.  

This is how I feel too. The stuff she does as a playmaker is what makes her special special.

50 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

I think Clark is a badass and congrats to her on the all time scoring record for women. I think advertising that she took the men's record from Pistol Pete, like that has any relevance to women's college basketball, is dumb. They arent even the same sport (different balls, rules, and levels of competition) and it is just attention whoring from the media. 

But she might end up being the best female basketball player ever before it is all said and done. 

This. But also throw in that Pistol Pete did it without a three-point line and in only three years since back in the day the NCAA forced all freshman to play JV basketball.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 'stache said:

I think it's great, a record is a record. All sports have a discussion about how the game has changed, more games played, and basketball in particular is skewed by the introduction of the three point line. She has done it in four years so there's no covid extension to pump the numbers. 

Agreed. This whole her v Maravich, women v men thang is overplayed. My only beef in that area is I'm old enough to remember the Battle of the Sexes at the Astrodome and it seems like the facts that Bobbie Riggs was old enough to be Billie Jean King's father, was a hustler and not a professional tennis player and King got to use the doubles court while the old man was stuck with the singles lines gets swept under the rug too often when we celebrate Billie Jean's special accomplishment. Yay equality

3 minutes ago, mr. sunshine said:

Agreed. This whole her v Maravich, women v men thang is overplayed. My only beef in that area is I'm old enough to remember the Battle of the Sexes at the Astrodome and it seems like the facts that Bobbie Riggs was old enough to be Billie Jean King's father, was a hustler and not a professional tennis player and King got to use the doubles court while the old man was stuck with the singles lines gets swept under the rug too often when we celebrate Billie Jean's special accomplishment. Yay equality

Also, it was a staged event with the intention of promoting women's tennis. Riggs was not the sexist he was portraying, at least, not in that context.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Also, it was a staged event with the intention of promoting women's tennis. Riggs was not the sexist he was portraying, at least, not in that context.

image.thumb.jpeg.d74c456f001c1e6739840f3ddc77c31c.jpeg

Billie Jean King was carried like Cleopatra into the Astrodome in Houston.  And Riggs popping 415 vitamins/day before that match was muy unhealthy.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Pancho said:

Doug is getting roasted in the comments, and rightfully so…

"Fix"? The only reason to change is if you think she won't be able to get her shot off. I don't think that will be a problem.

Lol, I can't see replies on x anymore, but I assume it's in relation to his horrible shooting as a player. Great at generating offense and assists, horrible jump shooter. Also, the NBA has plenty of players with unorthodox shots (Shawn Marion comes to mind), if it works it works. Nevertheless, I watched a little Caitlin Clark, and her shot seems sound, and should work just fine in the WNBA.

Steph Curry, Reggie Miller, and Dame Lillard have "unorthodox" shots. How's that working out for them? Her release point is high, and she gets to it quickly. Ain't nothing else matter.

Just now, aggie08 said:

Steph Curry, Reggie Miller, and Dame Lillard have "unorthodox" shots. How's that working out for them? Her release point is high, and she gets to it quickly. Ain't nothing else matter.

Well one other thing matters. It goes in. 

Just now, ztejas said:

Lillard has pretty flawless form. Definitely wouldn't call it unorthodox.

He's a palm shooter, which is a pretty big no-no when you're learning.

Lil' Dribblers starting kids so young on regulation size courts, even with lowered baskets messes with their mechanics, I think.  Having to heave the ball from the free throw line at 8 or 10 is a lot different than at 16 and up.  Looks to me like her shot is a mixture of that young heave and adaption as she grew up.

2 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Yup. Steph changed his release point after college from chin to forehead. That’s the only piece that really matters.

KD has one of the strangest ball paths ever and it seems to go in.

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

Ah. TIL. Obviously not something you  notice on TV.

Well we’ve seen your “jumper”.

just fucking with you lol

33 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Well we’ve seen your “jumper”.

My biggest faux pas are I point my right elbow out and slightly use my left thumb to shoot.

8 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Masterclass in generating interactions. And it only cost him any basketball cred he had remaining. 

So it cost him nothing? Masterful gambit, Doug!

Clark is a specimen. I wish her nothing but the best going forward. She's been nothing but a class act her entire career, and I believe she'll be generational in the WNBA, too. My hats off to her an her incredible work ethic, and a great human being. 

Watched as many of her games as I could this season just because she was the only one worth watching (outside of Maddy, Rori, and the Texas women's team). 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Sgt Hulk said:

I’m sure I’ll draw hate. But I do think she could contribute in the nba. Shes wrecking shop tonight 

Not hate, but maybe some laughs at your ignorance. She--and any female pro--would struggle at the elite boys high school level.

Edited by Braff Zacklin

51 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Not hate, but maybe some laughs at your ignorance. She--and any female pro--would struggle at the elite boys high school level.

I see a lot of dumb shit posted on this site (its kind of our specialty), but every now and again you see something so galactically stupid, you have to applaud.

wowS.gif.c2bcaa6ceb4484c9575414838645b57f.gif

• Haha 1

Yeah no I'm sure she could play in the NBA.

Clark got off to a quick start in the sold-out game in College Park Center, drilling her first three-point attempt deep for her first bucket as a professional. The NCAA Division I’s all-time leading scorer wasn’t finished there, scoring a 28-foot three pointer shortly after as part of her three first-quarters buckets from deep.

Clark led all scorers at the end of the first half with 16 points, going 5 of 9 from the field and 4-for-8 from beyond the arc, along with two rebounds and an assist.

However, she struggled in the second half, dealing with foul trouble that kept her off the floor for a good portion of the third quarter. After returning with under six minutes left in the fourth, she failed to get back into rhythm, making one of her six attempts from the field, and finishing with a game-high five turnovers.

The Rock Eye Roll GIF by WWE

I'll give her credit - she has people interested in WNBA preseason. 

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

Yeah no I'm sure she could play in the NBA.

The Rock Eye Roll GIF by WWE

I'll give her credit - she has people interested in WNBA preseason. 

It’s really interesting how the WNBA just needed a generic white girl who is really good with media (and is good at ball) to shine a light on women’s basketball for people to get interested.

It’s crazy to think this wouldn’t have happened without NIL, not just the financial piece, but her personal brand was able to be developed and is honestly dwarfing the entire WNBA brand by itself. It wouldn’t surprise me if her next 5 years of earning exceed that of the entire league value for last season without her. 

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, immamac said:

It’s really interesting how the WNBA just needed a generic white girl who is really good with media (and is good at ball) to shine a light on women’s basketball for people to get interested.

It’s crazy to think this wouldn’t have happened without NIL, not just the financial piece, but her personal brand was able to be developed and is honestly dwarfing the entire WNBA brand by itself. It wouldn’t surprise me if her next 5 years of earning exceed that of the entire league value for last season without her. 

The college game has been growing for awhile. Women's college hoops was the 3rd biggest NCAA sport before CC even showed up. She's just kind of pushed things over the top with a combination of - like you said - being a hometown American girl that's easy to root for and also being a bad ass bitch on the court.

She reminds me of Bird more than any male player since Bird has - and I think people love her for the same reason they loved Larry. She's an aw-shucks white girl from flyover America going out there and whipping everyone's ass.

Also - I've already said it in this thread - but they play some good-ass ball in the WNBA. She's going to do for the WNBA what Bird and Magic did for the NBA - assuming she pans out. 

Cameron Brink sexy-ass also gonna help move the needle.

Edited by ztejas

I’m sure I’ll draw hate. But I do think she could contribute in the nba. Shes wrecking shop tonight 

I don’t know about that, I’m sure they have professionals making their sandwiches.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, Sgt Hulk said:

It always amazes me when people fail to grasp the monumental difference in athleticism between elite men and women athletes.  I ran track at UT in the early 90s. I was not very good, barely making the team.  There wasn't a woman in the world at any level who could beat me at the time.  It isn't speculation, my time was literally better than any time a woman in the entire world ran that year.  And again, I wasn't very good. 

In high school, I was on an "ok" freshman basketball team and we would scrimmage our very good women's varsity team. It was an absolute bloodbath.  My sister at the time was all-region and I (two years younger) could beat her 21-2 in a game of 21, and that was when she was fully mature and I was a skinny 15 year old.

I eventually was all-district in basketball as a senior, and when I got to UT I would play pickup.  The difference in skill from the "good" court at the rec center where the UT players played (Albert Burditt, Terrence Rencher, etc.) to the court next to it where I would play was staggering.  Those players could have beaten me 21-2 in 21.  And the difference between those players and NBA players is also huge.

You could put the worst defender in the NBA on her and he would shut her down to an embarrassing degree.  She would never even touch the ball. She doesn't have anywhere close to the speed needed to get separation from anyone at that level.  And if she did get the ball, they would block her shot every time because they could play right up in her face (because she doesn't have close to the quickness to get by them off the dribble).

• Hook 'Em 5

Posted (edited)

If you want a comparison, read this article from The Atlantic from January. Women’s teams sometimes practice against men. The guy who guarded Clark was a grad student whose peak athletic achievement was making the squad one year at something called Dordt University.  

https://theathletic.com/5190331/2024/01/30/caitlin-clark-kamilla-cardoso-juju-watkins-practice-players/

They have to tell the guys to hold back. 

Edited by Rudiger

Why does this always happen?  Of course men are bigger, faster, and stronger.  Does that mean the women's game is any less fun to watch?  Some people like them for different reasons but every time a great woman comes along, we hear how she can't play in the men's league.  No shit.

My GF during my freshman and sophomore year in college was all state basketball in HS.  Almost 6'0" and a lean 145-150 lbs.  I'm 6'0", too.  Same height.  We'd occasionally play some hoop at the rec center or whatever.  I'd always easily win.  We'd then go back and have a fuck and suck.  Why does any of this matter?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Why does this always happen?  Of course men are bigger, faster, and stronger.  Does that mean the women's game is any less fun to watch?  Some people like them for different reasons but every time a great woman comes along, we hear how she can't play in the men's league.  No shit.

My GF during my freshman and sophomore year in college was all state basketball in HS.  Almost 6'0" and a lean 145-150 lbs.  I'm 6'0", too.  Same height.  We'd occasionally play some hoop at the rec center or whatever.  I'd always easily win.  We'd then go back and have a fuck and suck.  Why does any of this matter?

If a message board poster feels like opining on the board that somebody could play in the nba, it’s a reasonable assumption that they are inviting conversation on the topic.  This isn’t shitting on the player, it’s shitting on the poster’s opinion. 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Jim Carrey Yes GIF

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

19 hours ago, Pancho said:

Oh No GIF by BBC Three

This.  I used to play pick-up at the Rec Center when I was an undergrad and every once in a while, a few of the stars from Jody's Elite 8 teams would come in to play...mind you I'm 5'9" and probably weighed a Buck-Fifty back then, so naturally I would be asked to guard the women....I had zero problems scoring on or defending against them.  And that's definitely not a brag.... I was a mid-tier player at best.

2 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Her range and quick trigger are exciting to watch. It’s like watching Phelps swim in his prime. Hero or villain, people will tune in for the spectacular.

It is something the WNBA has never been able to offer. 

Spoken by someone that has never watched the wnba.