2023 Tropical Storm and Hurricane thread

HiggyBaby

Guns ain't gonna stop 155 mph winds.

image.png.d0db68bdd71ce247e4b9dc3c10a3b27a.png

Looking at the satellite, it's not that impressive to be honest. Feel like normally at that speed these things are monsters with well-formed eyes.

image.png.82f85e8b710e1434c0f82971952f1405.png

Looking at the satellite, it's not that impressive to be honest. Feel like normally at that speed these things are monsters with well-formed eyes.

The eye was very apparent earlier this morning. However, when it goes through an eyewall regeneration the eye looks "closed off".

For a cat 5 ,the size isn't like Michael but each hurricane is different I suppose. Wind vice rain hurricanes.

1 hour ago, InkaUtexas said:

If you come for my TV, fuck it take it. If you come into my bedroom, then we have an issue. There are other tools in the house if things are that bad, but the shotgun is my go to for simple shit. 

I did not sell weapons, but I have been around a lot and in some interesting places. correct, every location and situation requires adjustment. San Salvador or Kabul? Yep, different weapons. A nice part of a pretty safe Texas town? Nah, don't need an RPK or an M-4. I would love to have an MP-5 though. 

For pigs I preferred an AK over an M-4. 

• Haha 2

On 9/8/2023 at 12:57 PM, FirstTimeCaller said:

The trade winds and Gulf Stream will.   Things gonna limp to Newfoundland or drift to sea.  

29 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Oh lord, if it hits the NE, we'll never hear the end of it.

SUPERSTORM LEE!  GREATEST HURRICANE EVER IN ALL OF HISTORY!  SIX FOOT TWENTY!  KILLING FOR FUCKING FUN!

ho lee crap this!    Hurricane Tropical depression Sandy:  <Joosey accent> "You don't understand how devastating it was! Youse ain't seen nuffin like this"</Joosey accent>

53 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

SUPERSTORM LEE!  GREATEST HURRICANE EVER IN ALL OF HISTORY!  SIX FOOT TWENTY!  KILLING FOR FUCKING FUN!

19 minutes ago, locodos said:

ho lee crap this!    Hurricane Tropical depression Sandy:  <Joosey accent> "You don't understand how devastating it was! Youse ain't seen nuffin like this"</Joosey accent>

But THERE WAS WATER IN THE SUBWAYS!!!!!!!!! 

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Yeah, stupid pussy storm. It only did $70 billion in damage, twice the amount of Ike and three times Rita.

For a place that doesn't get storms like that very often, it's a big deal. 

6 hours ago, locodos said:

Best source IMHO, even though he is a Nole.

It's all about the distance of travel over next couple days.  Your guy above basically matches what Ryan Hall Y'all said in video post earlier.  

If Lee slows in travel distance for awhile, and does a left hook late to the NW, then NH down to Cape Cod area will definitely suffer more damage,  especially if the tides are at the wrong level when it arrives...  

Edited by LTtxfan

Just watched a couple videos... wind shear from west has weakened Lee, so worst case for NE states is most likely off table.

Unless things change significantly, Lee may just continue to north well off East coastline, and only be a Cat 1 at strongest during landfall Saturday night in Maine/Nova Scotia.

NE states may just get 50-60 mph winds along coastal areas (except for Maine) as the western side of Lee skirts by their coastlines...

Edited by LTtxfan

On 9/13/2023 at 5:00 PM, FirstTimeCaller said:

Yeah, stupid pussy storm. It only did $70 billion in damage, twice the amount of Ike and three times Rita.

For a place that doesn't get storms like that very often, it's a big deal. 

“You shut down for a little ice storm hoy hoy hoy.”  Fuck them.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, UT_OB1 said:

“You shut down for a little ice storm hoy hoy hoy.”  Fuck them.

Yeah well, you have to understand their ignorance. They're complately unframiliar with a difficult to fathom concept like an electrical grid with no protections against the cold, and a state government with zero interest in protecting it's electrical grid. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Yeah well, you have to understand their ignorance. They're complately unframiliar with a difficult to fathom concept like an electrical grid with no protections against the cold, and a state government with zero interest in protecting it's electrical grid. 

You have to understand I have in laws from PA to NY, and I have been hearing this for 15+ years. So fuck em. 

• 1 month later...

This special advisory is being issued to update the current and
forecast intensity of Otis. Satellite images show that the very
rapid intensification observed earlier today has continued, and the
latest data support an initial intensity of 125 kt. The intensity
forecast peak is updated to 140 kt, category 5 strength, since the
environment isn't forecast to change much before landfall, and there
are no signs of this explosive intensification stopping. This is
an extremely dangerous situation, and all preparations for Otis
should be rushed to completion.

Not often you see a category 5 forecast from the NHC

• Rage+1 1

54 minutes ago, Zonahorn said:

Not often you see a category 5 forecast from the NHC

At 10am they thought it was going to be a Cat 1 at landfall. By 4pm they realized the models, and they, we're way off. Expected to be a Cat 4 at landfall. By 7pm, they released a special advisory stating they were still to low on their forecast.

Forecast models are having a hard time guessing strengths of hurricanes that are candidates for rapid intensification. The models have never seen this kind of RI before. The NHC is going to have to learn a lot from this hurricane season.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, boknowstecmo said:

At 10am they thought it was going to be a Cat 1 at landfall. By 4pm they realized the models, and they, we're way off. Expected to be a Cat 4 at landfall. By 7pm, they released a special advisory stating they were still to low on their forecast.

Forecast models are having a hard time guessing strengths of hurricanes that are candidates for rapid intensification. The models have never seen this kind of RI before. The NHC is going to have to learn a lot from this hurricane season.

Models were unusable. 

• Rage+1 1

18 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

Damn they are about to get fucked up. I have a coworker that lives in Colima and we flew him and his family to Dallas but he is freaking out about his family that is still there

They have like 12 hours to get to safety or get prepared for a category 5. All kinds of pants shitting is ongoing