2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.

13 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I was admonished recently for suggesting that we would encourage Ewers to enter the draft if we thought Manning would bolt. No way we'd risk losing him, heading into the SEC.

My view is that Quinn likely gives us a better chance to win next year but Arch is obviously a longer term guy. Hopefully they both stay but I wouldn't be surprised if either left. Sounds like 1 redshirt year was always in the plan for Arch but 2 on the bench probably wasn't. Then again, hard to guarantee he'd start anywhere else big next year coming in cold and behind the incumbents.

1 minute ago, Tex-19 said:

My view is that Quinn likely gives us a better chance to win next year but Arch is obviously a longer term guy. Hopefully they both stay but I wouldn't be surprised if either left. Sounds like 1 redshirt year was always in the plan for Arch but 2 on the bench probably wasn't. Then again, hard to guarantee he'd start anywhere else big next year coming in cold and behind the incumbents.

FWIW - Quinn has missed multiple games in each of his last 3 seasons played including his last year of high school.  I think whoever the back up is - he's going to start a couple games next season.

• Hook 'Em 4

• closetojumping changed the title to 2024 Transfer Thread - Watching BO&W Repeatedly Step On Rakes
52 minutes ago, TexEx15 said:

Look at this fucking guy again. Shocked face I tell you. The article is even worse than the headline.

Regardless, it appears as though Manning is running out of patience sitting on the bench as the third-team quarterback and it appears to be a longshot that Manning returns to the Longhorns.”

Farrell is an asshole who always seems to work against us.

Arch's parents went to a lot of trouble to travel all the way to Ames, IA and sit in 38 degree weather for 4 hours for parents of a kid who is transferring soon. They seemed to be enjoying the camaraderie of the other parents, too.

But sure, anything is possible.

• Hook 'Em 7

1 hour ago, Sbbruin said:

He was beyond shitty.  Seriously.  He couldn't have possibly played worse.

The funny part in all of this is that the reverberating effect of his flip caused Baylor to lose their most important recruit, a guy they could have used at various points this season. It looked like a hell of a steal for Kelly at the time. It’s a shame things didn’t work out. I’m curious, how did his season compare to DTR’s first year? I know that was a rough one.

1 hour ago, Sbbruin said:

He was beyond shitty.  Seriously.  He couldn't have possibly played worse.

The pick sixes were incomprehensible. Completely tanked any chance of beating Utah or Oregon St. He got absolutely killed by play calling and CK's years-long disregard of HS O-line recruiting, but showed next to nothing against P5 opponents. To the point where I don't really expect him to succeed at his next team.  

• Hook 'Em 2

17 minutes ago, Jimmy Two Times said:

The pick sixes were incomprehensible. Completely tanked any chance of beating Utah or Oregon St. He got absolutely killed by play calling and CK's years-long disregard of HS O-line recruiting, but showed next to nothing against P5 opponents. To the point where I don't really expect him to succeed at his next team.  

You can say that again Jimmy Two Times.

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, SamMan said:

The funny part in all of this is that the reverberating effect of his flip caused Baylor to lose their most important recruit, a guy they could have used at various points this season. It looked like a hell of a steal for Kelly at the time. It’s a shame things didn’t work out. I’m curious, how did his season compare to DTR’s first year? I know that was a rough one.

Amazingly Dante was worse.  Much worse.  And that's saying something.  Dante has zero mobility.  He stands like a statue in the pocket.

10 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Amazingly Dante was worse.  Much worse.  And that's saying something.  Dante has zero mobility.  He stands like a statue in the pocket.

I was shocked when i realized he wasn't a dual threat guy. I just assumed he was when he flipped to play for Chip Kelly

10 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Cal folks were commenting on that today.  “He just stood there, feel not moving while Reese was running right at him.  That happened like 5 times”

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Zhorn96 said:

Cal folks were commenting on that today.  “He just stood there, feel not moving while Reese was running right at him.  That happened like 5 times”

It was baffling.  He has no ability to read progressions, or to sense pressure.

• Hook 'Em 2

38 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

It was baffling.  He has no ability to read progressions, or to sense pressure.

I mean, were you expecting a true freshman starting for a shitty team to have good pocket awareness and the ability to go through progressions? He may not end up being a good QB but Jesus fucking Christ what a thing to say about a true freshman. 

Edited by Newy25
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

I mean, were you expecting a true freshman starting for a shitty team to have good pocket awareness and the ability to go through progressions? He may not end up being a good QB but Jesus fucking Christ what a thing to say about a true freshman. 

I've seen plenty of true freshman play.  If you watched him, you'd understand.  He was just complete deer in the headlights.  

4 hours ago, Duane Moore said:

Seems like Remington Strickland should have a IV or V after his name. 

image.png.63a5df7e6b7b07a5aef7cd6c6d24a90a.png

He looks the part.

2 hours ago, Tex-19 said:

Is it just me or does this Portal cycle seem crazier than last year considering it hasn't even officially opened yet..

I find it depressing, but we can't tell what it all means yet. At least, I don't think we can.

I'm wondering if all of these starting players leaving their schools are doing so based on what guys like them got paid last year in the portal. I don't think there was a glut last year. This year appears to be providing a look at what happens when the market is flooded with good players.

I gather from @closetojumping that Texas, a big-money player, is pressed to meet the payroll at current prices. Perhaps the current flood of players drives NIL payments down thus deterring so many players valuabe to their current teams from entering.

I'm not happy seeing medium size schools getting gutted. I'm not sure I like the feeling of picking over the free-agent market with NFL attitudes. But who cares, right? They were all mercenaries to start with. That or we've created a self-fulfilling prophecy.

36 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I think he had some conduct issues at OU, but I may be mistaken.

He had 5 TDs in 2022, 0 TDs this year. Also got 3 of his TDs against a 1-11 Colorado in 2022.

Not a great blocker even at 270 lbs, not the most athletic guy. Pretty jaggy imo.

Edited by Atticus
  • Hook 'Em 1

• closetojumping changed the title to 2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.