2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.

4 minutes ago, Mr. Drummond said:

And to be clear, im not saying the lines aren't better in the SEC, they clearly are.    But there is no reason to be a bitch about it.

There is a zero percent chance that any of us at any time next year will be saying "Damn if only we hadn't lost Trill Carter!". 

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

We will be playing teams far talented that put out far more NFL players than our current conference. There is a huge difference in having to play 1-3 teams like that a year vs most of your conference schedule being like that. 

We still only have to play one team at a time and one a week, right?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 4

10 minutes ago, cafe society said:

Everybody has their panties in a wad about uber-developer Bo Davis potentially leaving, yet these same everybodies don't seem to consider how far our young DL will have come next fall.  Calm the fuck down, Debbies.

Davis and Choice might be the 2 best position coaches on this staff...we need to do everything we can to retain them.

• Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, Red Five said:

There is a zero percent chance that any of us at any time next year will be saying "Damn if only we hadn't lost Trill Carter!". 

To be fair, I also heard Burton literally say, “If they get Caldwell, it’s not a huge loss.” Adds some meaningful context to the handwringing. 

FWIW - I saw last night that Brandon Harris and JM Jones (Asst Dir of Player Personnel) were following Liberty WR and recent portal entrant CJ Daniels.  Just this morning Taylor Searels (Dir of Recruiting Operations) started following him.  Maybe a visit is in the works?

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/cj-daniels-1.html

• Hook 'Em 5

2 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Give me Gbenda. Blackwell is still a tweener despite the physical gifts.

Hasn’t it been mentioned that Trey Moore could profile some to the Strong side LB spot that Blackwell currently has?

Moore is a Buck

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Hope Kirkland, Goolsby, and Chatman stick around. Cojoe and Stroh might be further down the IOL depth chart 

Well, he said a handful so I’m pretty sure that he meant they were all gone. It is pretty sad really. I had such high hopes.

39 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

We will be playing teams far talented that put out far more NFL players than our current conference. There is a huge difference in having to play 1-3 teams like that a year vs most of your conference schedule being like that. 

But also it's a huge difference not having to play chicken-littles that play jihad-games against you, where you have nothing to win and everything to lose, complete with the cheapshots and intentional injuries like froggie did to JB.

2 hours ago, Atticus said:

I love me some Mo Blackwell, but he's probably best as a core special teamer on this team. Too bad he couldn't put on more weight.

Gbenda is nice if the lightbulb continues to come on for him. He could even be draftable next year if he makes a similar leap from last year.

Gbenda is still limited athletically, and while he has been vastly improved under Choate, I believe the starting linebackers coming out of spring even if Gbenda stays will be Anthony Hill and Liona Lefau. The staff is super high on Lefau. Gbenda's best move would be to follow Choate. He will get exposed in the SEC pretty easily. 

1 hour ago, DZX158 said:

Burton reported Jelani McDonald moved to Safety. 

A starting tandem of Watts (if he stays) and Williams, with Filsaime, McDonald and Rubell as the primary backups, plus Taafe as the glue guy to pair with the younger guys represents an enormous makeover of that room into a suddenly hyper athletic and scary unit. 

28 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Hope Kirkland, Goolsby, and Chatman stick around. Cojoe and Stroh might be further down the IOL depth chart 

I doubt Goosby goes anywhere, he is the heir apparent to the LT spot unless Baker takes it from him. Kirkland is doubtful to leave because of the knee injury, but if he does I can't say it would be impactful at this point. Chatman may be a flight risk along with Cojoe, but Stroh is likely going to be a program guy that maximizes at some point and maybe finds a starting job a couple of years down the line. I can't say that losing either Chatman or Cojoe would be felt. 

• Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Gbenda is still limited athletically, and while he has been vastly improved under Choate, I believe the starting linebackers coming out of spring even if Gbenda stays will be Anthony Hill and Liona Lefau. The staff is super high on Lefau. Gbenda's best move would be to follow Choate. He will get exposed in the SEC pretty easily. 

A starting tandem of Watts (if he stays) and Williams, with Filsaime, McDonald and Rubell as the primary backups, plus Taafe as the glue guy to pair with the younger guys represents an enormous makeover of that room into a suddenly hyper athletic and scary unit. 

I doubt Goosby goes anywhere, he is the heir apparent to the LT spot unless Baker takes it from him. Kirkland is doubtful to leave because of the knee injury, but if he does I can't say it would be impactful at this point. Chatman may be a flight risk along with Cojoe, but Stroh is likely going to be a program guy that maximizes at some point and maybe finds a starting job a couple of years down the line. I can't say that losing either Chatman or Cojoe would be felt. 

Rubbell will be nickel/star

I wonder if they'll kind of use Mukuba like they did with Jahdae but instead of putting him at corner he slides to safety in certain defensive looks. 

Just now, BurntOrange&White said:

Rubbell will be nickel/star

I wonder if they'll kind of use Mukuba like they did with Jahdae but instead of putting him at corner he slides to safety in certain defensive looks. 

I could see that, although Watts at the safety position shouldn't be a liability that is exploited like Thompson and Taafe.

10 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

No one on our defense is getting exposed in the SEC.  Playing defense in the Big 12 is a hell of a lot harder than playing defense in the SEC.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Yo Chin Pubes, what's up?   I never understood (until now) why you are repeatedly called out for being a dumbass.   That, sir, is no longer a mystery.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Bobby said he thinks the staff is willing to go into the spring with the WR room they currently have if they don’t love what is out there. Then look again during the May portal window.

edit: well interesting timing with that tweet

Edited by Hookem2147

56 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

No one on our defense is getting exposed in the SEC.  Playing defense in the Big 12 is a hell of a lot harder than playing defense in the SEC.

This is an out of date take, the Big 12 doesn’t have the same caliber of offenses it did a decade ago, if anything the SEC is more an offense league now than the Big 12. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

FWIW - I saw last night that Brandon Harris and JM Jones (Asst Dir of Player Personnel) were following Liberty WR and recent portal entrant CJ Daniels.  Just this morning Taylor Searels (Dir of Recruiting Operations) started following him.  Maybe a visit is in the works?

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/cj-daniels-1.html

12 minutes ago, Mason Ramsey said:

Yeah he confirmed on the livestream that we're bringing in Caldwell and CJ Daniels for visits. Looks like he could be a solid AD replacement.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/player/gamelog/_/id/4605951/cj-daniels

@Hiphopopotamosgood detective work boss.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Not a Sock said:

This is an out of date take, the Big 12 doesn’t have the same caliber of offenses it did a decade ago, if anything the SEC is more an offense league now than the Big 12. 

Not really.

OFEI

2 LSU

3 Georgia

8 Oklahoma

9 Kansas

10 Kansas State

15 Ole Miss

17 Texas

18 Missouri

20 Alabama

21 TCU

22 Texas A&M

23 Tennessee

25 UCF

26 West Virginia

27 Iowa State

Looks pretty even.

Just now, HtownHorn said:

Not really.

OFEI

2 LSU

3 Georgia

8 Oklahoma

9 Kansas

10 Kansas State

15 Ole Miss

17 Texas

18 Missouri

20 Alabama

21 TCU

22 Texas A&M

23 Tennessee

25 UCF

26 West Virginia

27 Iowa State

Looks pretty even.

Yep.  Looking at the schedule next year, the offenses of Vandy, Kentucky, Miss. State, and Arky shouldn't scare anybody.  Florida is a dumpster fire all around.  Georgia will be good with Beck returning.  Aggy will be on its 3rd QB if Klein runs the QB battering ram offense.  

3 hours ago, tokamak said:

It seems early to me for 2023 OL to be transferring. Especially with a small '24 class behind them. They'll get their shot.

Some of the 2023 guys will leave and no one will be upset about it other than some recruitniks and football board idiots.

2 hours ago, someguy said:

don't underestimate the bolded - it was a real factor with Mitchell.

For sure you and I know this, but I think it gets short shrift here on Surly and with the other forums. If Texas is going to recruit from anywhere north of St. Louis, which I am all for, they should probably expect those guys to need 6 months to acclimate, at least. It didn't help that this past summer was one of the absolute all time scorchers throughout the state.

2 hours ago, 6th Street said:

A lot will need to change for Kirkland to stick. I think the others are well-liked, with some maturity issues for one of them, but if another school is willing to offer significant money to any of this group, it is highly unlikely that Texas can match. Folks really like Goosby and Chatman, I believe.

12 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

CJ Daniels is at Auburn today (obviously a Hugh Freeze connection coming from Liberty) and is supposed to be in Austin on Sunday.

I won't be surprised if Freeze does his thing and shuts this one down today. Hope that doesn't happen, of course.

• Hook 'Em 7

Just now, closetojumping said:

Some of the 2023 guys will leave and no one will be upset about it other than some recruitniks and football board idiots.

For sure you and I know this, but I think it gets short shrift here on Surly and with the other forums. If Texas is going to recruit from anywhere north of St. Louis, which I am all for, they should probably expect those guys to need 6 months to acclimate, at least. It didn't help that this past summer was one of the absolute all time scorchers throughout the state.

A lot will need to change for Kirkland to stick. I think the others are well-liked, with some maturity issues for one of them, but if another school is willing to offer significant money to any of this group, it is highly unlikely that Texas can match. Folks really like Goosby and Chatman, I believe.

Kirkland allegedly had a pretty significant injury to his knee but they say he had fallen behind others in terms development even though he started off stronger.

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I won't be surprised if Freeze does his thing and shuts this one down today. Hope that doesn't happen, of course.

Didn't they fire their Offensive coordinator today? Shades of aggy signing #1 class with no defensive coordinator. 

55 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Not really.

OFEI

2 LSU

3 Georgia

8 Oklahoma

9 Kansas

10 Kansas State

15 Ole Miss

17 Texas

18 Missouri

20 Alabama

21 TCU

22 Texas A&M

23 Tennessee

25 UCF

26 West Virginia

27 Iowa State

Looks pretty even.

Does it? Only 4 of the top 13 teams listed are B12 teams. 

Edited by Vertigo

43 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Bobby also said he heard today that Mo Blackwell signed a lease for a new apartment and is staying 

39 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

"Texas has continued to recruit him(Caldwell) so I think that hurdle has been cleared and not really that concerned about it any further" - Bobby on Caldwell's grades question.

Bobby is fucking griding since he ditched the dead weight at inside texas.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

CJ Daniels should be an interesting recruitment.  We've been told that one of Freeze's biggest selling points to the 2024 class was that this year is a rebuild and that he expects young players opportunity to win jobs for 2024.  He also doesn't have an established starter (worth a damn) at QB.

If it just comes down to money - and Freeze wants him - then ok we move on.

But...

If he's looking at opportunity and situation - Texas has the AD Mitchell role wide open for him to step in to and he'll have a Heisman favorite QB (given time by an established and experienced OL) to throw him a ridiculous amount of TDs.  

• Hook 'Em 2

• closetojumping changed the title to 2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.