2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.

29 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

It's seems really odd what's going on with Deboer. I get that the situations are different, but he didn't gut UW. He won with primarily with Peterson's guys plus a few key portal adds (Penix, the RB from MSU, Muhammed, etc.). I know a good portion of this is due to forces out of his control, but he seems content watching it burn to the ground. 

What makes you say that?  I don't know what he could do to stop it other than be Saban or offer a bunch of NIL he doesn't have.

I'm still bullish on DeBoer but without the NIL budget of Texas and Georgia, he'll hit a ceiling.

• Like 1

This may have been discussed, but just saw this in an article on the Athletic

Spoiler

Let’s say you’re a backup safety at Georgia or a backup receiver at Texas who thought about transferring during the prescribed window but decided you liked your chances at earning playing time. Then you see a new starter parachute in, and you know that, barring injury or something else unforeseen, you’re probably a backup again. Well, your deadline has passed. There is no 30-day window that kicks in for you.

Yes, there is the post-spring transfer window. But if you’re at Georgia, Texas or any SEC school, that would be too late to transfer to another SEC school and be eligible this fall. Not a problem if you’re content going somewhere else. But unfortunate for those who would’ve preferred that

I didn’t realize players transferring from an SEC school in the spring window aren’t eligible immediately if they move in-conference. Makes it even tougher for Alabama to offset these losses, they can’t really look at SEC players once the portal reopens for them 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

Reveal hidden contents

Let’s say you’re a backup safety at Georgia or a backup receiver at Texas who thought about transferring during the prescribed window but decided you liked your chances at earning playing time. Then you see a new starter parachute in, and you know that, barring injury or something else unforeseen, you’re probably a backup again. Well, your deadline has passed. There is no 30-day window that kicks in for you.

Yes, there is the post-spring transfer window. But if you’re at Georgia, Texas or any SEC school, that would be too late to transfer to another SEC school and be eligible this fall. Not a problem if you’re content going somewhere else. But unfortunate for those who would’ve preferred that

I didn’t realize players transferring from an SEC school in the spring window aren’t eligible immediately if they move in-conference. Makes it even tougher for Alabama to offset these losses, they can’t really look at SEC players once the portal reopens for them 

Don’t worry, they can still raid the MAC and get an A+ portal grade from TexAgs.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Vermin said:

Don’t worry, they can still raid the MAC and get an A+ portal grade from TexAgs.

How much offseason time will Elko spend  prepping the new transfers to play on Saturdays rather than Wednesdays?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Deboer is tearing Alabama down to the studs in order to rebuild something that didn’t need to be rebuilt. Folks still employed there are fucking dumbfounded. 

I guess this is the way Deboer did it at his other stops, so it’s got to be this way in Tuscaloosa? I’m enjoying it, I know that. 

One can only hope….

IMG_5646.gif

• Rage+1 2

1 hour ago, RichUT said:

That exact strategy has been de rigueur in European Soccer transfer negotiations for the last decade plus. Come to think of it, the combination of NIL and the transfer portal is pushing college football squarely into a transfer market operating model, except that teams are getting no financial upside when star players move on. 

Plus, teams like aggy regularly relegate themselves. I guess Bama is currently in that same process.

What's the scouting report on Niblack? How are his blocking and his hands?

I watched a highlight video and he looks faster than Sanders but also looks a little unnatural catching the ball. Of course they don't show drops on a highlight vid though so idk.

7 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

I watched a highlight video and he looks faster than Sanders but also looks a little unnatural catching the ball. Of course they don't show drops on a highlight vid though so idk.

I did read his blocking could use some work - his appearance in the game for Bama usually meant a pass play. 

46 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

I don't know if this is a joke, or staged, or whatever, but it's one of the funniest things I've seen in a while.  

So much to unpack.  Why is the dad wearing a blonde wig?  And a shirt that is clearly a few sizes too small. 

33 minutes ago, Laga4 said:

I'm with you wondering if it's real?

Anyone know who it is?

AYKM.gif.0371c0c8e961d36ef6b75c6500c22b45.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 7
  • Rage+1 1

30 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

Hide contents

Dont we officially not join the SEC until July?

19 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

He's a shit blocker who is the fastest TE in college football. He'll require a lot of work to be even disguisable on all 3 downs. 

• Hook 'Em 9

2 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

He gave lip service to Saban being allowed say in everything and always being welcome so I was wondering if this is ego and his way of trying to show that "when I win here it will be my success not Saban's" or something ridiculous like that. 

Perhaps he did consult Saban and Saban said, "I don't give a shit.  This is no longer my circus."

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

He's a shit blocker who is the fastest TE in college football. He'll require a lot of work to be even disguisable on all 3 downs. 

I'm pumped.  I don't want to figure shit out presnap, if Niblack is in we're gunnin, Helm we're runnin.  12 personnel is a fun wheel spin. 

Edited by murphysbackup

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

This was the fascinating thing about the DeBoer hire. From strictly a coaching standpoint, he might be the best football coach in the country. He’s won everywhere he’s been with elite offenses, well-coached defenses, and routinely overcome talent disadvantages. The guy’s 101-9 for his career if you take out the Covid year with Fresno State, and he’s 34-6 his last 3 years at a D1 without coaching stacked programs. 

But his recruiting abilities and program management are massive question marks. He’s never shown he can operate a D1 program successfully long term. UW was in for a huge step back next year, and he didn’t do a good job of restocking the cupboard for Year 3 before he left.

Now he’s tearing down one of the best rosters in the country so he can restart it the same way he did at 4-8 Fresno State and 4-8 UW. Maybe it will work because he’s a great coach, but he’s essentially lighting on fire every advantage that came with taking the Bama job after Saban.

Whether or not he wins there, I’m all for DeBoer turning Bama into a well-coached but less talented team, a la Oklahoma State with Gundy. Maybe we should send him some nice OAN fishing shirts while we’re at it. 

Just spitballing here but maybe that's the thought process.  He knows he's borked from an NIL perspective so why not turn the roster over early in his tenure and try to instill the culture he knows how to win with?  It's been said repeatedly that 80-90% of the Alabama roster was there because of Saban and took less money in the process because they knew they'd have a genuine shot at the league.  Subtract Saban, $$, and add Deboer and you get a completely different dynamic.   He's obviously won with this approach before.

Or maybe he's dumb as fuck.  Who knows.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Texas is being mentioned as a negotiating tactic.

Expect Texas to be mentioned in every high profile portal situation, but don’t take anything seriously unless a player actually visits. 

Screenshot_20240119_113402_Chrome.jpg

ESPN already noting Texas. They specifically mention Ohio State, USC, UCLA. Sleeper teams: Texas, UCF. Biggest need and ideal fit and won't happen: Clemson.

Here's the Texas blurb:

Spoiler

Sleeper team: Texas Longhorns

This might sound wild with Quinn Ewers returning and former five-star Arch Manning waiting in the wings, but if Texas calls and lays out a plan to increase depth, compete immediately after a redshirt and couples that with Steve Sarkisian's offense and track record of success, you have to listen to that pitch. Quinn Ewers moves on a year from now, Arch Manning would be a redshirt junior and Sayin would be a redshirt freshman.

Sayin should be attracted to Sarkisian's scheme because perhaps no offense in the country does more to set up its playmakers than the Longhorns. Shifts, motions, personnel groupings, a new wrinkle every week, you name it, Texas has it so the QB is set up to succeed if he can handle the moving parts and identify the matchups. Texas has also added several top transfers and former Alabama players since Saban's departure.

Edited by TheBryMan81
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, GlenFromTheMailRoom said:

Just spitballing here but maybe that's the thought process.  He knows he's borked from an NIL perspective so why not turn the roster over early in his tenure and try to instill the culture he knows how to win with?  It's been said repeatedly that 80-90% of the Alabama roster was there because of Saban and took less money in the process because they knew they'd have a genuine shot at the league.  Subtract Saban, $$, and add Deboer and you get a completely different dynamic.   He's obviously won with this approach before.

Or maybe he's dumb as fuck.  Who knows.

He's a very good coach. The question is whether rabid fans and donors at Alabama will give him the time and grace to build the program his way in a wholly singular coaching transition amidst a sea change in CFB? I'll be watching.

e6f

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, TheBryMan81 said:

ESPN already noting Texas. They specifically mention Ohio State, USC, UCLA. Sleeper teams: Texas, UCF. Biggest need and ideal fit and won't happen: Clemson.

Here's the Texas blurb:

Hide contents

This might sound wild with Quinn Ewers returning and former five-star Arch Manning waiting in the wings, but if Texas calls and lays out a plan to increase depth, compete immediately after a redshirt and couples that with Steve Sarkisian's offense and track record of success, you have to listen to that pitch. Quinn Ewers moves on a year from now, Arch Manning would be a redshirt junior and Sayin would be a redshirt freshman.

Sayin should be attracted to Sarkisian's scheme because perhaps no offense in the country does more to set up its playmakers than the Longhorns. Shifts, motions, personnel groupings, a new wrinkle every week, you name it, Texas has it so the QB is set up to succeed if he can handle the moving parts and identify the matchups. Texas has also added several top transfers and former Alabama players since Saban's departure.

What a bunch of idiots. Can’t even get Arch’s classification right. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, LCHorn said:

I like how this thread keeps trying to stay on track and then there’s someone bringing up Lamborghini ownership costs again every 10 posts, like moving on would represent some kind of character defect.  

Also “Lambo” is just as bad as “Natty”.  

Oh shut up 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, TheBryMan81 said:

Here's the Texas blurb:

Hide contents

I don't claim to be a talent scout, but I saw this kid play last year. Only HS game I went to, and  I went specifically to watch him.   Holy moly he's good. 

18 minutes ago, TheBryMan81 said:

I actually remember this one a little from before he committed to Bama-he appeared pro-Texas before Arch’s commitment and the threat of sitting behind him for a couple of years appeared likely.  I don’t see what might be different now, in fact it’s probably worse with Ewers coming back.  

5 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

I actually remember this one a little from before he committed to Bama-he appeared pro-Texas before Arch’s commitment and the threat of sitting behind him for a couple of years appeared likely.  I don’t see what might be different now, in fact it’s probably worse with Ewers coming back.  

I agree, I don't think the Texas depth chart is attractive for him. Just adding to the point above that we're likely going to be mentioned for every high profile transfer from now on.

If he wants to start immediately then cross Texas off the list.

3 hours ago, Noozak said:

A Georgia booster friend of mine just told me that Ohio State and Texas are throwing "unprecedented" money at Caleb Downs. Sounds like bullshit to me, but he was right about AD Mitchell leaving and coming to Texas well before the news became public. Figured I would ask before I would tell him his source sucks.

Well hopefully your Georgia booster friends knows more than the Alabama fans booster friend. lol

• closetojumping changed the title to 2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.