2024 Transfer Thread - The Pedantic Circlejerk

8 hours ago, SamMan said:

Tiny quibble here. Respectfully, Bobby actually did say this very thing. I believe it was one of the morning shows, probably late-March. Something to the effect of “guys, I’m just telling y’all, this team is literally a big time, difference maker at DT away from being a legit championship contender next year. Without it, I’m not sure that they are. That’s the only impediment they have right now.” I remember it because I remember thinking, “that’s a bold statement—the last time I saw that secondary they looked like dog shit, and they are sporting a years long track record of underperformance.” 

The rest of this is long, it is spoilered for space:

Reveal hidden contents

@JFKFC gets it half right when he says what he heard and was told was horseshit. The problem is it isn’t NIL and the big swinging dicks that let him down. His blame is ill-placed. OTF shoulders some of the load here.

That said, I never took Bobby’s hyper fixation on that singular issue too seriously. The man readily admits that he is a compulsive worrier and tends to focus on the negative. This isn’t the first time this sort of thing has happened, either. He spent the entire offseason last year looking under every rock to find a way to get Jake Majors (suggesting either Conner or Hutson take over repeatedly) out of the starting center position he had competently held for two years because he was simply too damn small and had snap infractions. [Ironically, now he has changed course and thinks Cruz should move to guard..because Majors and Robertson are good. I’d rather not discuss Conner’s struggles or why Ian thought Campbell (lefties can’t snap!) lacked the mental acuity to play anywhere on offense, ergo he should be a NT.] Likewise, Gerry has been expertly trained in striking the perfect balance between what his audience wants to hear, and what his audience needs to hear. In my opinion, they bear some responsibility for the schadenfreude going around right now. They pushed narrowly-tailored narratives that fit preconceived notions/outcomes, and those things did not come to pass.

Bobby bitching about the tone and tenor of the secondary discussion turning caustic is amusing to me, considering they (other than Rod) hardly covered it with anything more than cursory explanations as to how and why they will be better (“faster, more athletic”) and platitudes about the coaches (“they didn’t have the guys”). They downplayed or dismissed any and all concerns expressed until after the spring game. It took Brooks (starter, presumed leader) completely blowing a coverage for them to mention a thing about him. Then we learned he showed up overweight (definitely heard about Mitchell’s weight and his illness at the start of camp) and hadn’t been cutting it on the field all spring (definitely dissected Collins, Broughton, and Bryant’s abilities and camp performance extensively in that same period). Suddenly, everybody (including the entire informed class of Texas commentators, apparently) realized the DBs were nowhere close to the competitive standard we were assured existed everywhere but DT…and the criticism was fierce.

Bobby ripped a true freshman for getting beat by another true freshman and a third true freshman making a great throw. A competitive rep. Not a blown coverage. Suddenly, Kobe Black is behind schedule, his move to safety has all but been made for him, and Ryan Wingo is a top ten lock for the 2027 draft. Likewise, a third or fourth string CB matches up against WR1 (more on him in sec) and gets beat on a competitive rep (not a blown coverage) with no pass rush, and Bobby rips him, too. You think his audience isn’t going to take that and run with it? Who coaches the guys he is suddenly criticizing quite harshly? “Terry Joseph wasn’t a punching bag until Brooks hit the portal and the secondary sucked..” No shit, dude. Look in the mirror. You control the conversation. It was hardly discussed until right now.

Back to WR1, the guy who came to Texas claiming to be a first round pick. Why do they feel the need to provide a catalogue of excuses for a veteran receiver having “the yips” or otherwise not being able to catch a perfectly thrown ball? We heard it was “anxiety” or “people in the stands” or Gerry’s latest “he has kinda always dropped the ball early.” What the fuck is that about? If we’re going to say the DBs he was up against were trash, why are we making excuses for his inability to do what he is paid to do? Hold him to a standard in accordance with his own fucking claim.

Thing is, they went from saying:

”Jabbar Muhammad—too short, they like what they’ve got.” 

to “Brooks’ departure was anticipated. They have a plan in place. They are going to prioritize speed and length. The WRs in the SEC are bigger, stronger, faster, better than everybody else. Gotta be able to hang with the X receivers in that league. They are going to go big game hunting. Davis will definitely get on campus for a visit.” [Credit to Rod here. Gerry tried to get him to vibe with this narrative (boundary corner bs), and he pushed back against it.]

to “peep this 5-10 175 lb corner who did nice things against UNLV while at SJSU for a year.”

That’s the issue—not failing to sign a guy, or going after inadequate talent, but leading your audience in one specific direction, toward one specific outcome, and then drastically changing course when that outcome doesn’t happen. When that occurs, blame is often assigned to the wrong parties. It makes the coaches seem incompetent and the money men appear to be gun shy. Look, I like those guys. I’ve followed Bobby and Gerry’s work for over two decades now, and they are two of the best in the industry. But they aren’t infallible.  

Quite frankly, I’m not too worried about either position. There is enough talent available that is capable of stepping up in those rooms, and there is more than enough talent capable of stepping up around them. I like Alex January and Wardell Mack was my favorite prospect in the previous cycle. If anybody is going to step up and start challenging guys for snaps by mid-to-late October, my money would be on those two. I think we’re going to be alright, but I’ve been wrong before. It’ll definitely be entertaining to watch.

I love Bobby. He’s great people. I sponsored his you tube show for 6 months. He’s a prince of a guy. 
there’s also this:

he’s a giant gaping flaming vagina when he talks about UT and is the most conservative dude ever.

Before this year he was like- I love talent level here I think Texas can go 10-2 if everything breaks right. They might have as many as 7 or 8 draft picks on the roster if guys go early  and stuff.  I was like Bobby/ we’ve got a minimum of 8 or 9 draft kids- if guys go pro we’ve got 12-15 (this was before the year and we both thought Barron, Collins and Ewers would leave so it would have been 14) and 10-2 is a floor not a ceiling if this team plays well. 

read that asinine statement you quoted in your Bobby translator as him saying- if we land a disruptive war daddy tackle we won’t have any holes and will be the odds on favorite to rampage through the playoffs and shit all over the big 10 and SEC, while winning the national title by acclimation, and you will have the sense of what he’s saying. 

in other words- read the context and don’t be a literalist dude. 

• Hook 'Em 7

8 hours ago, SamMan said:

Tiny quibble here. Respectfully, Bobby actually did say this very thing. I believe it was one of the morning shows, probably late-March. Something to the effect of “guys, I’m just telling y’all, this team is literally a big time, difference maker at DT away from being a legit championship contender next year. Without it, I’m not sure that they are. That’s the only impediment they have right now.” I remember it because I remember thinking, “that’s a bold statement—the last time I saw that secondary they looked like dog shit, and they are sporting a years long track record of underperformance.” 

The rest of this is long, it is spoilered for space:

Reveal hidden contents

@JFKFC gets it half right when he says what he heard and was told was horseshit. The problem is it isn’t NIL and the big swinging dicks that let him down. His blame is ill-placed. OTF shoulders some of the load here.

That said, I never took Bobby’s hyper fixation on that singular issue too seriously. The man readily admits that he is a compulsive worrier and tends to focus on the negative. This isn’t the first time this sort of thing has happened, either. He spent the entire offseason last year looking under every rock to find a way to get Jake Majors (suggesting either Conner or Hutson take over repeatedly) out of the starting center position he had competently held for two years because he was simply too damn small and had snap infractions. [Ironically, now he has changed course and thinks Cruz should move to guard..because Majors and Robertson are good. I’d rather not discuss Conner’s struggles or why Ian thought Campbell (lefties can’t snap!) lacked the mental acuity to play anywhere on offense, ergo he should be a NT.] Likewise, Gerry has been expertly trained in striking the perfect balance between what his audience wants to hear, and what his audience needs to hear. In my opinion, they bear some responsibility for the schadenfreude going around right now. They pushed narrowly-tailored narratives that fit preconceived notions/outcomes, and those things did not come to pass.

Bobby bitching about the tone and tenor of the secondary discussion turning caustic is amusing to me, considering they (other than Rod) hardly covered it with anything more than cursory explanations as to how and why they will be better (“faster, more athletic”) and platitudes about the coaches (“they didn’t have the guys”). They downplayed or dismissed any and all concerns expressed until after the spring game. It took Brooks (starter, presumed leader) completely blowing a coverage for them to mention a thing about him. Then we learned he showed up overweight (definitely heard about Mitchell’s weight and his illness at the start of camp) and hadn’t been cutting it on the field all spring (definitely dissected Collins, Broughton, and Bryant’s abilities and camp performance extensively in that same period). Suddenly, everybody (including the entire informed class of Texas commentators, apparently) realized the DBs were nowhere close to the competitive standard we were assured existed everywhere but DT…and the criticism was fierce.

Bobby ripped a true freshman for getting beat by another true freshman and a third true freshman making a great throw. A competitive rep. Not a blown coverage. Suddenly, Kobe Black is behind schedule, his move to safety has all but been made for him, and Ryan Wingo is a top ten lock for the 2027 draft. Likewise, a third or fourth string CB matches up against WR1 (more on him in sec) and gets beat on a competitive rep (not a blown coverage) with no pass rush, and Bobby rips him, too. You think his audience isn’t going to take that and run with it? Who coaches the guys he is suddenly criticizing quite harshly? “Terry Joseph wasn’t a punching bag until Brooks hit the portal and the secondary sucked..” No shit, dude. Look in the mirror. You control the conversation. It was hardly discussed until right now.

Back to WR1, the guy who came to Texas claiming to be a first round pick. Why do they feel the need to provide a catalogue of excuses for a veteran receiver having “the yips” or otherwise not being able to catch a perfectly thrown ball? We heard it was “anxiety” or “people in the stands” or Gerry’s latest “he has kinda always dropped the ball early.” What the fuck is that about? If we’re going to say the DBs he was up against were trash, why are we making excuses for his inability to do what he is paid to do? Hold him to a standard in accordance with his own fucking claim.

Thing is, they went from saying:

”Jabbar Muhammad—too short, they like what they’ve got.” 

to “Brooks’ departure was anticipated. They have a plan in place. They are going to prioritize speed and length. The WRs in the SEC are bigger, stronger, faster, better than everybody else. Gotta be able to hang with the X receivers in that league. They are going to go big game hunting. Davis will definitely get on campus for a visit.” [Credit to Rod here. Gerry tried to get him to vibe with this narrative (boundary corner bs), and he pushed back against it.]

to “peep this 5-10 175 lb corner who did nice things against UNLV while at SJSU for a year.”

That’s the issue—not failing to sign a guy, or going after inadequate talent, but leading your audience in one specific direction, toward one specific outcome, and then drastically changing course when that outcome doesn’t happen. When that occurs, blame is often assigned to the wrong parties. It makes the coaches seem incompetent and the money men appear to be gun shy. Look, I like those guys. I’ve followed Bobby and Gerry’s work for over two decades now, and they are two of the best in the industry. But they aren’t infallible.  

Quite frankly, I’m not too worried about either position. There is enough talent available that is capable of stepping up in those rooms, and there is more than enough talent capable of stepping up around them. I like Alex January and Wardell Mack was my favorite prospect in the previous cycle. If anybody is going to step up and start challenging guys for snaps by mid-to-late October, my money would be on those two. I think we’re going to be alright, but I’ve been wrong before. It’ll definitely be entertaining to watch.

I think you quoted Bobby almost verbatim, but he ended the sentence with “etcetera, in my opinion.”

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Funny point on Bond. Oh, the guy who caught the 4th and a mile TD at Auburn got nervous at our spring game?

That's pretty funny anyone actually claimed he was nervous. Dude was used to playing in front of 90k+ in the fucking deep south. A black dude who does that isn't getting nervous by our lilly white spring game fans. If anything, he might have been pressing a bit to show out for the coaches and establish himself as the #1 in a room full of WR talent. He's never completed for snaps with this much talent at WR next him. Alabama's 4 first round pick receivers were gone by the time he got there. 

We play Oklahoma, Arkansas and A&M away from Austin. Those mother fuckers will all treat those as jihad games and make or break their season on the Texas game. There will be plenty of games to be worried about. 

Those games are full of HATE by the opposing fans. We faced Arky in Sarks’ first year and they (UT players) were like deer in the headlights for the first three quarters! Hate is hate and you have to be prepared for it!

Hell, I don’t even like driving to Hot Springs with TX tags on my vehicle.

Hook’em!!!

Why is everyone so worked up about a 1 tech nose tackle? On a team that might have the best QB in the nation next season and will definitely have the best backup QB in the nation. Hell our two deep at QB might be the 2 best QBs in the nation in 2024. 
Is it because Bobby Burton was acting like the team is doomed if they don't get a 1 tech? Come on now...
Chill out and let dudes develop. We aren't completely bare at DT. We might have to adjust our defense a bit against run heavy teams but we have more than enough talent to do it. Alfred Collins is on a contract year and looked quick and powerful early in the spring game in just a few snaps. He could be this year's breakout defensive player. 
I'm far more concerned with the lack of development outside of Muhammad in the secondary. But with this offensive explosive potential the defense needs to be solid. Not exceptional. Make plays when needed. 

I agree. I think last year we were a defense led team bc we had so much experience on that side and we were bringing the offense along. This year will be the opposite, we have a lot of upperclassman experience on offense, it will lead the team and defense just needs to come along and not fuck it up.
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

Secondary is a way bigger issue than DT this year.  If they don’t get more transfers, atleast we get Gideon and Joseph fired after the season on the positive side?  

Well the coaches sure seem to think otherwise, since we flirt with just about every average to above average defensive tackle in the portal.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Yeah.  I have my own issues.  Paddock at f1 miami?  And imma hittin me up for some investment just tonight?  Got my own fish to fry, buddy.  Zero fucks on wimmenz sports or football for that matter.  As Abe Lincoln famously said…If he dies, he dies.  

Lol just been looking for an unrelated reason to drop that one huh?

(that’s sick tho) 

24 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Lol just been looking for an unrelated reason to drop that one huh?

(that’s sick tho) 

Well inside joke if you see my PM w Imma.  No  liquidity lol.  Did cabana.  Banker signed though.  Soon I’ll be able to buy a women’s forward for the hoops team.

5 hours ago, msucolt45 said:

Those games are full of HATE by the opposing fans. We faced Arky in Sarks’ first year and they (UT players) were like deer in the headlights for the first three quarters! Hate is hate and you have to be prepared for it!

Hell, I don’t even like driving to Hot Springs with TX tags on my vehicle.

Hook’em!!!

Ha - My kid is going to pig in the fall and I told him I'm putting a hog sticker on his car because of Texas tags...

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Didn’t want to give CAP a go? 

Graduating top 10% but wants to do supply chain and the Walton School ranked pretty good and they are giving him money. Didn’t want to go CAP route and then risk not get into McC business school… Can get a Masters there in 5 years (actually closer to 4 with all the AP credits he has going in…) A third of the undergrads there are from Texas…

Edited by Grimas
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, mantis toboggan said:

I can’t be the only one that gets uncomfortable when I hear “the juice not worth the squeeze”. 

The standard for “the juice is worth the squeeze” is pretty damn high. 

image.png.0e251992c21b1e65d1c2dd25094d7f23.png

Edited by PTINS
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

oof-disappointed.gif

That was the exact expression I had when my kid asked a few years ago if he should follow my career (and his grandfathers) as a E&P geologist… 😂

Edited by Grimas
  • Haha 1

Graduating top 10% but wants to do supply chain and the Walton School ranked pretty good and they are giving him money. Didn’t want to go CAP route and then risk not get into McC business school… Can get a Masters there in 5 years (actually closer to 4 with all the AP credits he has going in…) A third of the undergrads there are from Texas…

But can he swing a shovel?

Just now, Grimas said:

That was the exact expression I had when my kid asked a few years ago if he should follow my career (and his grandfathers) as a E&P geologist… 😂

Yeah, my first job after getting my MBA was in supply chain management...I didn't last long.

4 hours ago, Grimas said:

Ha - My kid is going to pig in the fall and I told him I'm putting a hog sticker on his car because of Texas tags...

I’ve got a nephew there now and one more on the way in the fall. One from Austin (Austin) and one from Houston(strake). We used to take them canoeing and camping there when they were kids and they fell in love with it. Both were right outside top 6-15%. I can’t wait to go to games there. It’s a great town and good school. 

8 minutes ago, Da Fino said:

I’ve got a nephew there now and one more on the way in the fall. One from Austin (Austin) and one from Houston(strake). We used to take them canoeing and camping there when they were kids and they fell in love with it. Both were right outside top 6-15%. I can’t wait to go to games there. It’s a great town and good school. 

Hopefully the trisomy genes skipped your siblings and it’s only the kiddos

• Hook 'Em 2

Sorry to derail this thread so this will be my last post here and any further ones will be on the Surly kids who didn’t go to UT one…

Yea, never had been to Fayettenam until last year but the old town by campus is great and reminded me of Austin the the 80’s when I attended UT and will probably buy a house there for the kid to live in next year.  

@irishtexan - yea, kid does manual labor as a job now and benches 300# at18 (no ‘roids)  But won’t need to swing a shovel as he can use his trust fund to hire someone to dig a ditch for him if needed…

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, Grimas said:

Sorry to derail this thread so this will be my last post here and any further ones will be on the Surly kids who didn’t go to UT one…

Yea, never had been to Fayettenam until last year but the old town by campus is great and reminded me of Austin the the 80’s when I attended UT and will probably buy a house there for the kid to live in next year.  

@irishtexan - yea, kid does manual labor as a job now and benches 300# at18 (no ‘roids)  But won’t need to swing a shovel as he can use his trust fund to hire someone to dig a ditch for him if needed…

Cool story bro 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Grimas said:

My dad almost killed me when I said I was going into the oilfield.  He was a Drilling Fluids guy for 42 years.

On 5/4/2024 at 2:24 AM, Spider2YBanana said:

OU softball is in trouble it seems. Okie Lite taking the series it looks like, and Texas women are #1. It's our year for the title. Mike Smith finally getting one home for us after making the championship last year. 

I like your confidence, but the softball postseason hasn't even started yet.  And who the fuck is Mike Smith?  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

We are about to get a transfer and this board becomes a little downy. Well, I'm not down with that.

Sometimes as Texas fanatics, we struggle with brokering multiple seemingly opposing thoughts in our brain about Arkansas. Fayetteville is a pretty nice place. Especially if you like the outdoors and golf. The Arkansas football team can go fuck itself and I hope all 85 players simultaneously tear an ACL tomorrow. The school, especially the business school is a pretty good school given the amount of corporate money that has been poured in. The famous alumni and boosters who run that football program can all catch AIDs as far as I’m concerned and die a slow death. And not the good AIDS either that you get when your condom breaks in Mardi Gras. The really nasty kind you get when you share needles in a Baltimore back alley. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, idigTexas said:

I like your confidence, but the softball postseason hasn't even started yet.  And who the fuck is Mike Smith?  

And we made the champ series in 2022, not 2023

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, ATXbronco said:

image.png.7bc973b93dd302eba3ee3f2ab7de2c89.png

Not the same without the GIF motion, but I’ll allow it. 

If that’s Mrs. Grimas, then congratulations Grimas. I’m assuming Grimas Jr. spent a lot of time on the teat (suckling pig?).

And if it’s just some random internet ho with giant tits, I’d like to transfer something to her portal. 

• closetojumping changed the title to 2024 Transfer Thread - The Pedantic Circlejerk