Blastfurnace 2023

Storm the Field

It depends! Texas can grow pretty good Mourvedre, Granache, Temperanillo, Chenin Blanc, decent Cab Franc, and truly excellent Viognier. Terrible Chard, Merlot, and mediocre zin and Cabernet Sauv though. 
Thank you, this shit is correct and the notion "all of our wines suck" kinda irritates me.
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

It depends! Texas can grow pretty good Mourvedre, Granache, Temperanillo, Chenin Blanc, decent Cab Franc, and truly excellent Viognier. Terrible Chard, Merlot, and mediocre zin and Cabernet Sauv though. 

So, good at a bunch of shit no one cares about and suck at the real stuff.  Go figure.

12 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

As far as I know, she still is. She's gotta be pushing retirement age though.

She's been pushing retirement age for a decade.  I don't know why she still does it.  Word from my kids is that she has a ton of investments, just shut it down, Carol.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

So, good at a bunch of shit no one cares about and suck at the real stuff.  Go figure.

If by "no one" you mean everyone except wine moms in Frisco and Cedar Park, sure. 

8 hours ago, We’reTexas said:

Burgundy and Champagne have already begun feeling the pain. 

True. Actually I've been thinking about putting away some high end bottles from good vintages, because in about 10 years good vintage champagne and Burgundy will be pretty hard to come by. Chablis as well. 

6 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Is Carol Nelson still the band director there?

Oh yeah. 

6 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

She's been pushing retirement age for a decade.  I don't know why she still does it.  Word from my kids is that she has a ton of investments, just shut it down, Carol.

This is like her 45th year at McCallum.
66UeoJ.gif

• Haha 1

I was watching some online news outlet when I couldn't sleep earlier this week (insanity to treat insomnia, always a good idea).  And this guy's name is on there, with PhD after it, talking about these record heat waves around the globe.  And his delivery was good, talking about the most recent glaciation periods and maybe this is the start of the other end of that curve on the graph.  And the host asks, "You seem pretty sure of yourself, Dr. soandso."  And turns out he holds a Doctorate from Seminary/Theology and he says, "Well, the data are all there, it's not that complicated.  Any good scientist can break down 6-8,000 years of patterns on our Earth."  

I fucking fell for it.  I listened to somebody for 5 minutes explain a 10-30,000 year old occurrence in a place he 'knows' is only 6-8,000 years old.  I'm sure this asshat will be the next Sec. of Energy, helping to direct policy regarding hydrocarbon extraction efforts on U.S. federal lands.  How do you say with a straight face that some of the "fossil fuels" beneath us are just a few thousands years old.  Those aren't dinosaurs, those are graves.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

thread derail-Years and years ago, I was moderating a panel with folks from very different disciplines.   And I knew this one guy vaguely and he had gotten his PhD in Chemistry or Biology a year or two earlier.  He was up there for some advocacy for STEM or something.  Anyway, I'm going down the line doing the usual intros, "We have with us Bob Smith-an attorney with..., Superintendent Jones of..."  And I get to the guy I know and I said, "Doctor firstname lastname who works with..."  And he stopped me and said, "just, Doctor Richard is fine"  And I just cracked up, thinking he was trying to lighten up the mood since the intros were so boring, I thought nobody's gonna go through a 60-minute informal chat using the name "Doctor Richard", but I looked out and nobody in the audience was laughing. 

So every time we pivoted to him, I had to say "Doctor Richard, your thoughts on xyz." And every time, I thought this was an elaborate ploy to break me.  15-20 years later, I now know dozens of non-MD's that prefer to be called "Doctor FirstName", even in casual settings and sign their emails similarly.  So fucking weird.  /csb 

Unless you're writing out a prescription for me for some really fun drugs, go ahead and leave your letters off your shit.  

• Hook 'Em 1

thread derail-Years and years ago, I was moderating a panel with folks from very different disciplines.   And I knew this one guy vaguely and he had gotten his PhD in Chemistry or Biology a year or two earlier.  He was up there for some advocacy for STEM or something.  Anyway, I'm going down the line doing the usual intros, "We have with us Bob Smith-an attorney with..., Superintendent Jones of..."  And I get to the guy I know and I said, "Doctor firstname lastname who works with..."  And he stopped me and said, "just, Doctor Richard is fine"  And I just cracked up, thinking he was trying to lighten up the mood since the intros were so boring, I thought nobody's gonna go through a 60-minute informal chat using the name "Doctor Richard", but I looked out and nobody in the audience was laughing. 
So every time we pivoted to him, I had to say "Doctor Richard, your thoughts on xyz." And every time, I thought this was an elaborate ploy to break me.  15-20 years later, I now know dozens of non-MD's that prefer to be called "Doctor FirstName", even in casual settings and sign their emails similarly.  So fucking weird.  /csb 
Unless you're writing out a prescription for me for some really fun drugs, go ahead and leave your letters off your shit.  

Your lack of proper respect for Dr Johnny Fever is duly noted.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Yeah, and it turns out Dr. Teeth is a fine keyboardist, but a shitty dentist.  

Again, I'm in awe of friends, family, and colleagues that earned an academic PhD, or Seminary, or Optometry.  And by all means use it on professional correspondence with colleagues, publishing, and marketing materials, etc.  Just don't think you're doing people a brevity favor by saying, "Nah, it's fine-just call me Dr. Jen"  

But I listened to a "Doctor" talk about a geologically proven occurrence that absolutely refutes his base that we're 7,000 years old.  How do you advocate for a fuel source that can't be where/when you claim it to be from your studies of ya' know...Moses?  

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Nothing worse than HR people. E-signatures with 10 acronyms, none of which matter. But then again HR people don't matter as well. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Why is it that the lamest PhD's are the ones to either stick "PhD" after their name or "Dr." before their name in casual correspondence?

Speaking of which, have you ever noticed that Dr. Allison Alter Ph.D, political economy styles herself as a "Harvard Trained Economist?"

• Rage+1 1

I think it's to offset the academic stylings of her husband, who is fucking brilliant and cool as shit (with lotsa degrees).  She's very smart too, but if you called him Dr. Suri or Dr. Jeremy, he'd throw a drink on your face.  But yeah, whenever I see her bio, I think of Kramer, "Juilliard Trained Dermatologist"  

• Haha 1

Good lord, Twitter blue checks might be even worse discussing weather than politics, if that's somehow worse.

Post last night from Houston weatherman saying he's sorry to report a possible all-time record high on Sunday. 

First 3 paid, boosted replies I saw:

Crazy health lady: "Sorry, but this is pathetic. I love the heat. Makes me want to sweat and detox my body."

Crypto bro with NFT profile pic: "Settle down, it's been this hot before, going be ok."

MAGA meme account with Tucker Carlson pic: "Sorry? Are you God and control the weather?"

Bang up job, Elon!

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

I think it's to offset the academic stylings of her husband, who is fucking brilliant and cool as shit (with lotsa degrees).  She's very smart too, but if you called him Dr. Suri or Dr. Jeremy, he'd throw a drink on your face.  But yeah, whenever I see her bio, I think of Kramer, "Juilliard Trained Dermatologist"  

HIs Kissinger book is excellent, if you haven't read it already. 

Good lord, Twitter blue checks might be even worse discussing weather than politics, if that's somehow worse.
Post last night from Houston weatherman saying he's sorry to report a possible all-time record high on Sunday. 
First 3 paid, boosted replies I saw:
Crazy health lady: "Sorry, but this is pathetic. I love the heat. Makes me want to sweat and detox my body."
Crypto bro with NFT profile pic: "Settle down, it's been this hot before, going be ok."
MAGA meme account with Tucker Carlson pic: "Sorry? Are you God and control the weather?"
Bang up job, Elon!

You should see the comments on Space City Weather whenever climate change is so much as mentioned.
We have turned the corner in Denver. Texas can't be more than 3-4 weeks away from hitting highs in the 80's. 

How are you so pessimistic on the football team but so fantastically optimistic on the weather?

3 hours ago, closetohumping said:

I know a tenured professor of science over at UC Irvine.  He’s convinced we are a big part of why this planet is getting warmer.   I guess they let anyone teach these days. 

By best friend and his wife, both PhDs, live in Australia and work in ocean and nature fields. Both are convinced we are the main cause as well. I mean, these are two of the smartest people I know. Can’t believe they fell for that hoax “climate science”

6 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

You should see the comments on Space City Weather whenever climate change is so much as mentioned.
How are you so pessimistic on the football team but so fantastically optimistic on the weather?

Both have had a recent history of sucking.

In Nola and it doesn’t feel nearly as hot as austin, even though wunderground says it’s 96 and feels like 110. I’m by the pool with a beer in the shade and very confident I can hang for a couple of hours at least. Maybe it’s just the mental break of being somewhere else and not having to be trapped inside?

Oh and also not having to worry if I turn down the AC in my room that I’ll wreck the grid. Seriously, that is a completely fucked up thing to have to think in 2023. Unacceptable. 

• Rage+1 1

5 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

In Nola and it doesn’t feel nearly as hot as austin, even though wunderground says it’s 96 and feels like 110. I’m by the pool with a beer in the shade and very confident I can hang for a couple of hours at least. Maybe it’s just the mental break of being somewhere else and not having to be trapped inside?

Oh and also not having to worry if I turn down the AC in my room that I’ll wreck the grid. Seriously, that is a completely fucked up thing to have to think in 2023. Unacceptable. 

I’m 6 miles away across the river, and it is 98° here and going to get to 101°.

101° is the high tomorrow also.  Enjoy the shade in the beer, my brother.  I just got done mowing my lawn. No Bueno.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Speaking of which, have you ever noticed that Dr. Allison Alter Ph.D, political economy styles herself as a "Harvard Trained Economist?"

Wonder if, while at Harvard, she knew City Councilwoman Mackenzie Kelly, Disaster, Scientist

Maybe she has a matching shirt like her:

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, UTGrad98 said:

A balmy 111 in flower mound right now. One last kick in the nuts. Hottest day of the year I think. 

anybody wanna tell him? 

Maybe it's slightly different in the Metroplex, but tomorrow most of Texas is heading for yet another record.  Tuesday might actually be a noticeable dropoff.  At least in Central Texas.  10 degrees 'cooler' with decent chance of some small precip.  Our grandchildren will read about this summer one day, but for the fact that all the paper will be torched.  

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Wonder if, while at Harvard, she knew City Councilwoman Mackenzie Kelly, Disaster, Scientist

Maybe she has a matching shirt like her:

"Downtown is not safe for anybody." 

30 seconds later, "It's ok to be here, regardless of what happened."

How hammered is she?  And where are her "friends"?

5 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

I kinda dig the Harvard Annex shirt and slurred speech.  /calnaughtonjr

It says, "I'm wanna be learning, but I'm here to party too."

The annex part was added, it’s not on the shirt. Unless you are saying it SHOULD be a shirt 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

We had 45 in a row.  Plus 4 after it the streak ended, and it's for sure hitting that tomorrow, so that's 50.  What I can't find accurately is we had some before the streak started as well, but how many?  We gotta be at least around 55.  

Another sick fact is I bet we've got to be setting most days at 105+.  Not that 100 is a picnic, but I'm looking at 2011 and too lazy to break it down, but it really did just hit 101 and fucking stay there.  This bullshit we're living through now has been 101 as a baseline with dozens and dozens of days baked in at 105, 106, 108...

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, UTGrad98 said:

A balmy 111 in flower mound right now. One last kick in the nuts. Hottest day of the year I think. 

The biggest trick the devil ever pulled, was getting people to think September might be cooler...

f9gby.jpg?a470280