Allen Outlet Mall Massacre

4 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Hand grenades?   

Vucic said that approximately half of the arms collected since last week had been held illegally, while the other half were registered weapons that citizens nonetheless decided to part with.

Half of the items were illegal (assuming the grenades and full auto referenced).  wow. 

Former Yugo was embattled in a civil war for most of the 90s. Serbia were the assholes of that war. I imagine there are/were a shitton of "illegal" shit people still had in possession from that war.

2 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Former Yugo was embattled in a civil war for most of the 90s. Serbia were the assholes of that war. I imagine there are/were a shitton of "illegal" shit people still had in possession from that war.

Yeah, I got that.  But was just surprised at the 50%.   Seems like some of them would have got drunk and let some of those grenades fly at some point.  And maybe they did.  Obviously back to back school shootings in a place where it never happens spurred this, just crazy to think 7k+ autos and grenades were floating around.  Maybe I'm naïve, but I wouldn't imagine there's 7k grenades being stored across the US. 

Uh, there's way more 7k grenades in circulation in the U.S.  I can tell you where tens of thousands are located illegally right now.  That more aren't used in crimes, to your point, is fucking weird and I'm not sure why they haven't been employed more often.  I think we have a gun fetish but something about bright lights and loud noises weirds us out.

3 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Or avoiding discussing the crime stats in Belgrade. 

Lol you cunt. We should most definitely talk about any place in the US where gun violence is a problem.

But then we’d have to actually agree that gun violence is a problem. But it won’t be for you until your kids’ blood is shed.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Lol you cunt. We should most definitely talk about any place in the US where gun violence is a problem.

But then we’d have to actually agree that gun violence is a problem. But it won’t be for you until your kids’ blood is shed.

Lol, figured you'd enjoy that. 

We do have a problem.  Let's figure out how to solve it.  I have a great idea, and it could go into effect tomorrow.  Let's enforce our existing gun laws.  OK, now, what's next. 

Just now, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

I know I KNOW! We'll wait for GOP representatives to bring forth common sense gun reform policies!

Oof.  Well might have to wait a minute.  I bet they'll come right after anything of common sense comes from across the aisle. 

29 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Shark Tank Writing GIF

35 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Uh, there's way more 7k grenades in circulation in the U.S.  I can tell you where tens of thousands are located illegally right now.  That more aren't used in crimes, to your point, is fucking weird and I'm not sure why they haven't been employed more often.  I think we have a gun fetish but something about bright lights and loud noises weirds us out.

steve carrell anchorman GIF by FirstAndMonday

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

...meanwhile, this is America.

r00omwoa3zza1.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

"Jesus took the five rifles and two handguns and looked up to heaven, blessing them. Then he gave the guns to the disciples, who in turn gave them to the crowds of people. They all shot and were satisfied, and the disciples picked up twelve baskets full of spent shell casings."

Edited by Deej
  • Haha 5

4 hours ago, Deej said:

"Jesus took the five rifles and two handguns and looked up to heaven, blessing them. Then he gave the guns to the disciples, who in turn gave them to the crowds of people. They all shot and were satisfied, and the disciples picked up twelve baskets full of spent shell casings."

image.png.e65eba6540c660b0487567e879353742.png

10 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

Ethnic cleansers are turning in guns, but here...nah

this is a sarcastic, but valid point.  Literal genocidal maniacs voluntarily surrendered arms knowing full well the families of the people they murdered en masse may one day come for revenge.  Nobody is asking any American to surrender any legally owned firearms, maybe that we just stop giving military grade weapons to young men with too many chromosomes on credit.  With the idea they quit hunting minorities and small children.  But apparently that has a 100% correlation to how you defend your home? 

How you say "Da Fuh?" in Serbian?    

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Lat22 said:

He went straight from flirting with a mom to killing a mass murderer.  Pretty impressive transition.

yeah, that was a good job by the officer.  just a second or two to process the sounds and decide they were in fact gunfire, went straight into action.  

(*aside, but it makes me think of uvalde again.  this guy was all alone doing this.  uvalde had hundreds of folks. the power of mass suggestion.  someone decided to be a coward in uvalde and it just spread to everyone.  no one had the ability to break through.  here, there was no one to tell this guy what he was doing was crazy, so he just went for it.)

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Crazy we’ve decided this is the society we want to live in.

That is a poignant statement. Unfortunately, I've no clue how the situation can be fixed.

My father was a gunsmith and self-professed gun nut. He enjoyed hunting, but more than anything else, he loved--absolutely adored--target shooting and match competition.

Even today, his brain riddled with dementia and with but a few neurons intact, he'll ask me, "When was the last time you shot?"

Thing is, I never shared his love--or lunacy--for firearms. They are tools to me.

I own a deer rifle (Brno Mauser action paired with a .308 Israeli barrel--my father's sense of irony), two shotguns (one side-by-side break-action; the other a completely pointless muzzleloading blackpowder), and two pistols (M1911 and a Makarov chambered in .380, both relics of a bygone era).

I very, very rarely use any of them.

The 1911 accompanies me, carried openly, on trips into bear country (even though .45 ACP is absolutely not an ideal round for that purpose), and once every couple of years I might bust some clay pigeons with friends. (I keep buying combination licenses with the intent of hunting grouse or pheasant but, nearly 20 years of living in Idaho, I've yet to do so. Maybe one day.)

I don't attend matches or gun shows. I also don't conceal carry.

So it's safe to categorize me as a casual gun owner. Super casual, probably.

Yet if a federal or state government made it illegal for me to possess firearms and demanded that I surrender them, I would dig a hole in the basement or open up a wall and hide them. I would never voluntarily give them up.

This isn't an example of a dual-AK-flaunting, lifetime-NRA-membership-having, dress-up-in-tacti--cool-gear-and-play-pretend-warrior-every-weekend kind of zealot. This is a centrist who seldom uses any of his firearms and thinks the above are insane and the gun abolitionists ignorant and naive.

So I don't know how we roll things back. Whatever middle ground existed seems to have eroded away. We're left with two disparate groups--one that believes the common man has the right to be outfitted as if he were a soldier going to war, and the other that stares at you cross-eyed for owning a water pistol.

leo-shrug.gif

Anyway, I applaud that officer for his courage in neutralizing the mall shooter and for trying to mack on a mom who was obviously way out of his league.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, NoRagrets said:

Cop is a hero. He saved a ton of lives. We need more guys like this in the world, and less incel db’s armed with assault rifles.

And tomorrow morning, this state will find a way to make it harder for police to do their job, and make it easier for young men to own military grade firepower on layaway.

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, NoRagrets said:

Cop is a hero. He saved a ton of lives. We need more guys like this in the world, and less incel db’s armed with assault rifles.

That last minute, as those gun shots were LOUD, and walking into that willingly, to help people. It is nothing short of heroic. And it's nothing short of being a civilian soldier in a war setting. It's pretty crazy to see that, impressed with this officer and left me very, very sad.

Watching that video, I’m struck by how it started: A cop talking to a group of little kids about the importance of taking a safety measure to protect themselves.

The backdrop of “hey kids stay safe out there” within a society armed to the teeth with some 450 million guns designed to kill humans is just sad.

22 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

That is a poignant statement. Unfortunately, I've no clue how the situation can be fixed.

My father was a gunsmith and self-professed gun nut. He enjoyed hunting, but more than anything else, he loved--absolutely adored--target shooting and match competition.

Even today, his brain riddled with dementia and with but a few neurons intact, he'll ask me, "When was the last time you shot?"

Thing is, I never shared his love--or lunacy--for firearms. They are tools to me.

I own a deer rifle (Brno Mauser action paired with a .308 Israeli barrel--my father's sense of irony), two shotguns (one side-by-side break-action; the other a completely pointless muzzleloading blackpowder), and two pistols (M1911 and a Makarov chambered in .380, both relics of a bygone era).

I very, very rarely use any of them.

The 1911 accompanies me, carried openly, on trips into bear country (even though .45 ACP is absolutely not an ideal round for that purpose), and once every couple of years I might bust some clay pigeons with friends. (I keep buying combination licenses with the intent of hunting grouse or pheasant but, nearly 20 years of living in Idaho, I've yet to do so. Maybe one day.)

I don't attend matches or gun shows. I also don't conceal carry.

So it's safe to categorize me as a casual gun owner. Super casual, probably.

Yet if a federal or state government made it illegal for me to possess firearms and demanded that I surrender them, I would dig a hole in the basement or open up a wall and hide them. I would never voluntarily give them up.

This isn't an example of a dual-AK-flaunting, lifetime-NRA-membership-having, dress-up-in-tacti--cool-gear-and-play-pretend-warrior-every-weekend kind of zealot. This is a centrist who seldom uses any of his firearms and thinks the above are insane and the gun abolitionists ignorant and naive.

So I don't know how we roll things back. Whatever middle ground existed seems to have eroded away. We're left with two disparate groups--one that believes the common man has the right to be outfitted as if he were a soldier going to war, and the other that stares at you cross-eyed for owning a water pistol.

leo-shrug.gif

Anyway, I applaud that officer for his courage in neutralizing the mall shooter and for trying to mack on a mom who was obviously way out of his league.

I think there is middle ground on this issue though.  The vast majority of people are fine with gun ownership but draw the line at anyone being able to stockpile "weapons of war."

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

I think there is middle ground on this issue though.  The vast majority of people are fine with gun ownership but draw the line at anyone being able to stockpile "weapons of war."

Get the fuck out of here with that.

There are only 2 opinions allowed.

• Haha 1

We arrive at middle ground compromises every single day in this country with regard to things/actions that are either inherently dangerous, or could be if used/done improperly.  

Not sure why this one is so different.  I'm more of a constructionist still to this day, but I have to forgive the framers for not codifying rights around motorized vehicles, prescription drugs, and civilian owned aircraft.  I can't drive a Formula 1 car in a school zone, get all the xanax I can carry, and fly an Apache helicopter around ABIA.  Why? Because they're not covered by an amendment?  Yeah, that must be it.  Or did we agree that those things shouldn't be allowed at all in order to protect a much greater number of people's rights than just mine?  In exchange for me being sensible, I can still own a fast Porsche, get 24 pills a month, and one day own a twin prop to fly under FAA rules.  But you can't change an amendment in the Bill of Rights, that's why they're called 'amendments', Latin for "the End of Mentioning this"  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Accidentally? Good chance. Looks like she can’t find her Oldsmobile.

BTW, is there a more perfect brand name for a car?

Heh, I bought a new 2000 Alero V-6 Coupe for Mrs. Brat. Pretty nice with leather seats, sun roof, etc. 
Drove it for only six years before it started falling apart.

She likes her ‘17 Honda Accord EX though.