Happy LGBTQ+ Pride Month 2023!

TexLonghorn

Happy Pride Month!

Today's business for anti-gay repugs to boycott is Apple.  "Apple releases a new Pride band each year and continues to support and bring awareness to LGBTQ+ advocacy organizations around the world."  Right-wing patriots out there should stop using, or just outright destroy, their Apple phones, watches, tablets, and laptops today.  Teach this woke company who's boss!

image.png.68cf195021701091278d77395aa2377f.png

And today's moment of joy for everybody else:

• Hook 'Em 4

7 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Happy Pride. I’m still not drinking Bud Light.

Gay men drink vodka all night long, lesbians drink craft beer but only 1-2 of them then we fall asleep before the clock hits 9pm. Ain’t no one got room for BL.

• Hook 'Em 4

30 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Disney isn't backing down to DeSantis. F the bullies. Hit them in the mouth.

this is how fucked things are. here we are, rooting for possibly the most evil corporation ever against a more oppresssive government. in what world is disney ever actually the good guy? well done republicans

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

this is how fucked things are. here we are, rooting for possibly the most evil corporation ever against a more oppresssive government. in what world is disney ever actually the good guy? well done republicans

I dunno, my brother. I'd argue someone like Monsanto or Halliburton would be the most evil corporation ever vs. an entertainment company. Yeah, I get there's a lot of bad shit that Disney has done in the past but it's not like they're manufacturing chemical weapons. But yes, your point still stands. 

As far as LGBTQ+ and Disney, I think Disney has long been at the forefront of the culture wars. Back in the 1990s, they were facing boycotts from Southern Baptists for not cancelling Gay Days. They were one of the first places where it wasn't frowned upon for LGBTQ+ to be themselves without fear of reprisal. I'm a huge Disney guy but even I got annoyed that they seemed to just worry about profiting off of Pride Month and not actually doing more for LGBTQ+ than that. That was back when Chapek was hedging on speaking out for his LGBTQ+ employees in Florida. But Iger isn't backing down on this and Disney is actually putting their money where their mouth is with things like hosting Pride Night events at Disneyland and a one of the largest LGBTQ+ conferences at WDW in September. Disneyland is allowing cast members to dress in whatever attire suits their identity. There's a whole sad outrage online right now over a cast member with a moustache wearing a dress and working at the Princess boutique where they do makeovers for boys and girls. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, safe sex said:

Take about twenty percent off the top there, Squirrelly Dan.

6 minutes ago, mdmost said:

I dunno, my brother. I'd argue someone like Monsanto or Halliburton would be the most evil corporation ever vs. an entertainment company. Yeah, I get there's a lot of bad shit that Disney has done in the past but it's not like they're manufacturing chemical weapons. But yes, your point still stands. 

As far as LGBTQ+ and Disney, I think Disney has long been at the forefront of the culture wars. Back in the 1990s, they were facing boycotts from Southern Baptists for not cancelling Gay Days. They were one of the first places where it wasn't frowned upon for LGBTQ+ to be themselves without fear of reprisal. I'm a huge Disney guy but even I got annoyed that they seemed to just worry about profiting off of Pride Month and not actually doing more for LGBTQ+ than that. That was back when Chapek was hedging on speaking out for his LGBTQ+ employees in Florida. But Iger isn't backing down on this and Disney is actually putting their money where their mouth is with things like hosting Pride Night events at Disneyland and a one of the largest LGBTQ+ conferences at WDW in September. 

good points good points good points

but a still fuck disney twice for making me appreciate their corporate culture for something resembling a heart

• Hook 'Em 2

Disneyland administrators have quietly reversed a 28-year-old policy that prohibited partners of the same sex from dancing together in the Magic Kingdom.

“The decision is years late, but let’s applaud it,” Morris Kight, a leading gay-rights activist, said Tuesday. “It’s a gentle victory, one that shows Disneyland is finally paying attention to the world around them.”

Disneyland spokesman Al Flores said the prohibition against same-sex dancing was dropped in mid-July in response to requests from patrons of Videopolis, a teen dance club that opened June 22 next to the family ride It’s a Small World.

“We try to be responsive to feedback we get from our guests,” Flores said. “Videopolis brings in a lot of teen-aged kids, and we see a lot of situations where two girls come together and want to dance and ask to. We have always said no, but we changed our minds.”

Flores said the change was not in response to a May, 1984, Superior Court ruling that struck down Disneyland’s ban on same-sex dancing as it applied to two gay men who were evicted from the Anaheim theme park in 1980.

“Although we lost that, we only lost on removing those two men from the dancing area,” Flores said. “We continued to enforce the policy until about a month ago.”

The ban on same-sex dancers was part of the original dance regulations adopted by the park in 1957, when it first allowed dancing. Flores said the prohibition was adopted “as a crowd-control measure” to ensure the safety of women on the dance floor and because some patrons might have found dance partners of the same sex offensive.

“We always try to avoid every kind of situation that would cause a disturbance,” Flores said. “We don’t serve alcohol. We enforce a dress code. It’s the reason most of our policies were created: to maintain a peaceful, happy atmosphere that won’t offend any of our guests.

“We didn’t want to have two women dancing and have some guy go out and hassle them,” he said. “We always said that before they even got out on the dance floor they had to have a partner of the opposite sex.”

But in September, 1980, two gay men arrived together at a Disneyland Date Night to “have a good time and see if we could change the policy,” said Andrew R. Exler. Exler, then 19, and Shawn Elliot, then 17, went on Space Mountain and the Matterhorn and then went to the Tomorrowland dance floor.

“It only took three minutes, and two security guards came and gave us the lecture about not dancing together,” Exler said Tuesday. “When we continued to dance, they physically removed us from the dance floor.”

Ten days later, Exler and Elliot sued the park, asking Orange County Superior Court to force Disneyland to allow dancing with members of the same sex.

Ronald Talmo, their attorney, said at the time that Exler and Elliot were protected under the so-called Unruh Civil Rights Act, which guarantees the rights of anyone, regardless of sex, to use business facilities.

In November, 1980, the court decided otherwise. Exler appealed the decision and a 4-year legal battle ensued. Finally, in May, 1984, Orange County Superior Court Judge James R. Ross struck down Disneyland’s ban on same-sex dancing as it applied to Exler and Elliot.

At the time of the decision, William M. Bitting, Disneyland’s trial lawyer, said, “We’ll abide by the order, but it doesn’t apply to others. If two (other) men show up tomorrow night to dance, Disneyland won’t let them on the dance floor.”

The amusement park still is in the process of appealing the decision, and Flores refused to comment on the case.

Which is why Exler was so surprised upon hearing that the park had quietly changed its policy and decided to allow men to dance with men and women to dance with women on the Videopolis floor, which can hold up to 3,000 dancers.

“I think it’s fantastic . . . but I’m extremely surprised,” he said. “I think the decision was definitely made in response to our winning our lawsuit. That and the international attention this case has received definitely had an impact on their decision.”

“I think Disneyland is finally waking up to the fact that people won’t put up with their discriminatory policies,” Exler said. Since the park opened in 1955 and adopted dress codes and other policies affecting guests, he added, “they have discriminated against thousands of people, and people are now speaking out about it.”

The change in policy was definitely noticeable at Videopolis on Saturday night as several thousand teen-agers danced under flashing, multicolored spotlights to the Top 40 sounds of the Disneyland house band, Donna McDaniel & Network.

McDaniel bounced and strutted on stage in a skintight black leotard and yellow-and-black patterned jacket, belting out: “You’re hungry. Take a bite of me. Ole, ole, oh . . . I think I’d like ta show ya. . . .”

Although most couples were male and female, others were not.

Dominique Hitchcock, a 15-year-old sophomore at Brea Olinda High School, and four other female friends had come to Videopolis to have a good time. Hitchcock, who spent most of the night dancing with her girlfriends, was unaware of Disneyland’s old rule.

“It’s just as fun to dance with your friends as it is with a guy,” Hitchcock said. “We go dancing together a lot. There’s nothing wrong with it.”

To Cliff Eveland, 19, a San Jose State University student who danced Saturday primarily with his friend, Gregg Consentino, 20, Disneyland’s previous prohibitions on same sex-dancing are “pretty stupid.”

“It’s just to have fun,” Eveland said, wiping perspiration from his brow after a strenuous number. “Sometimes you’re afraid to ask a girl to dance. I mean, it’s pretty bad to get rejected.”

From The LA Times in 1985 - Disneyland Drops Policy Prohibiting Same-Sex Dancing

Additional context here:

Stg I'm not a Disney weirdo. I just like theme parks in general and their history

Edited by safe sex
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

but a still fuck disney twice for making me appreciate their corporate culture for something resembling a heart

I think the Pulse Nightclub shooting in their backyard sparked a big change in the corporate culture. 

The Mavs Twitter should block everyone of those who reply with hate. 

46 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

Have you heard of Nestle?  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, troph said:

Gay men drink vodka all night long, lesbians drink craft beer but only 1-2 of them then we fall asleep before the clock hits 9pm. Ain’t no one got room for BL.

I guess I really am a lesbian in a man's body. (sorry dumb joke from my 15-year-old unenlightened self)

38 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

I mean, a lot of it I think was self interest going back decades. Disney makes money by employing thousands of artists, actors, musicians, and other creatives, many of whom are gay or are allies based on the people they work with. The corporate folks may not have given a shit except they know who makes them money and we should be nice. As said above, I'm not sure what makes Disney particularly evil other than being a conglomerate with a problematic founder, but lots of Fortune 50 companies can be similarly defined.

Edited by 'stache

3 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Cancel UT! One of the reasons I said Texas will fit in fine with the SEC is because of the replies to this post. Our “fanbase” isn’t any different than those of current SEC members.

i know that i, for one, am on fucking pins and needles wondering what 69floppycock69's take is on gay love.

34 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Cancel UT! One of the reasons I said Texas will fit in fine with the SEC is because of the replies to this post. Our “fanbase” isn’t any different than those of current SEC members

No dobut, but are we not part of the fanbase as well? 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Disco Strangler said:

I have been a shitty ally, and too quick to use gayness as an insult among buddies.  I am done sitting on my hands when others are voicing anti-LGBTQ shit.  

I appreciate the effort, but who still uses sexuality as an insult? Anyone who does that or uses a slur would no longer be my friend. I cringe every time I see one of the memes (we all know which ones) posted on this site. 

1 hour ago, Pancho said:

Cancel UT! One of the reasons I said Texas will fit in fine with the SEC is because of the replies to this post. Our “fanbase” isn’t any different than those of current SEC members.

So much effort for no reason from those people.  

2 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

Napalm and The Dow Chemical Company

FROM THE COLLECTION: VIETNAM WAR

The U.S. military's use of napalm in Vietnam triggered widespread student protests, some aimed at the manufacturer, The Dow Chemical Company.

A Small Chemical Company
Napalm had been used before, most notably in the incendiary bombs that devastated large swaths of Japanese cities during World War II, including some 60 percent of Tokyo. What distinguished Napalm B, the variant employed in Vietnam, was how easily it could be made. Simple "bathtub chemistry" was used to mix together a concoction of gasoline, benzene, and polystyrene. In 1965 the Pentagon requested bids from the 17 U.S. companies that made polystyrene; one of the winning bids was from a small company based in Midland, Michigan, called Dow Chemical. Dow was only ranked 75th on a 1967 list of military contractors; before getting into the napalm business, it was best known as the maker of Saran Wrap. But Dow soon became the military's sole supplier of napalm, which meant that when its use in the Vietnam War became controversial, Dow was the only corporate target.

Liquid Fire
For such a simple thing to make, napalm had horrific human consequences. A bit of liquid fire, a sort of jellied gasoline, napalm clung to human skin on contact and melted off the flesh. Witnesses to napalm's impact described eyelids so burned they could not be shut and flesh that looked like "swollen, raw meat." In Vietnam, the first televised war, viewers began to see images of the civilian casualties caused by napalm bombs, and a January 1967 article in Ramparts magazine presented color photographs of mutilated Vietnamese children. The pictures helped Martin Luther King Jr. decide to go public with his opposition to the war. And at colleges across America, students brandished the photographs as they began protesting Dow recruiters. The first demonstrations occurred in October 1966 at the Berkeley campus of the University of California and Wayne State University in Michigan, and over the next year, more than a hundred other protests would take place. The two key student demonstrations at the University of Wisconsin, in February and October 1967, were both triggered by Dow recruitment on campus.

Courtesy: NARA

The Company Response
Dow's senior management did not even know about the initial napalm contract, it was considered such a minor matter. And even at the height of production, only a few handfuls of employees worked on making napalm out of a total workforce of 35,000. But napalm soon became a defining issue for Dow. The company's initial response, which essentially sought to get the Pentagon to take responsibility for the use of napalm and thereby absolve Dow management, did nothing to stem the protests. In 1967 the Dow board discussed whether to stop producing napalm; although there were dissenters, the board voted to stay the course. Meanwhile, Dow recruiters found themselves trapped in interview rooms, spat on, forced to hustle out of back exits, and called "baby killers."

Dow's Image
Company visibility soared; 88% of those polled in one survey had heard of Dow, a figure comparable to America's largest corporations. But Dow was known almost exclusively for making napalm. The company began distributing a "Napalm News" to employees and embarked on an aggressive public relations campaign to improve Dow's image. It also continued to recruit on campuses. But even after the company stopped making napalm in 1969, the protests continued. Not all the consequences of student demonstrations were negative, though. According to director of public relations Ned Brandt, "you could not have gotten... better advertising" than student protests; on many campuses, it became a "badge of honor" to be interviewed by Dow, and the number of interviews increased. What no one suspected at the time was that the product that would prove most costly to Dow had not generated any protests; the company also manufactured the defoliant Agent Orange. Its use would be linked to cancer and other illnesses among Vietnam veterans for years to come.

2 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Google and Apple coming out strong today for Pride Month.  Wonder how MAGA nation will respond without search engines and iPhones.  

Most of MAGA nation are on 3 generations old Android phones they got free with their Boost Mobile prepay plan. 

• Haha 4

I had a customer request some Pride art, so I decided to paint up a bunch of cartoon Pride flags using a blockprint that I usually fill in as various national flags. Steady seller, even better value than the stone-henge prop.

Well, turns out there are at least 15 versions. I chose to do the classic 6-striper because it's a classic and I like the design. But I know I run the risk of leaving someone out. We shall see.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, troph said:

Hmm.  I guess I'm drinking with the lesbians.  They'll just need to stagger them in so I can keep drinking with lesbians. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Woof - Day 1 was tough for the conservative crowd, who I'm sure will be consistent in their principles and start boycotting all of the companies listed here.  Of course, a lot are not seeing this, as the Apple boycott should have forced many of them to stop using their iPhones, iPads, and Apple laptops to even access this thread.  For the conservatives remaining on here, we've already reinforced the Disney boycott and also added Google, the Dallas Mavericks, the Texas Longhorns, HEB, and Looney Tunes, as well as NASCAR on another thread.  There was even a pretty festive looking snek up there, so boycott sneks, too.

Oh, and add Microsoft.  "Feeling safe is Pride. LGBTQIA+ people at Microsoft share the simple truths about their lives and invite everyone to make Pride and expand LGBTQIAA+ equity and equality around the world."  Conservatives really need to boycott using Microsoft programs, products, and Windows, for their computing activities.

image.png.74c3c0bec5834c3a4f65be5fca164953.png

Everyone else, have a great day, kittens! It's time for karaoke!

• Hook 'Em 1