Caught going 50mph in a 30mph zone. Ticketed for $129,544 fine.

SL Xpress

COPENHAGEN, Denmark (AP) — A wealthy driver has been fined 121,000 euros ($129,544) for speeding in Finland, where such penalties are calculated on the basis of an offender’s income.

“I really regret the matter,” the main newspaper for the Aaland Islands, an autonomous region of Finland in the Baltic Sea, quoted Anders Wiklöf as saying in an article published Monday.

Wiklöf was driving 82 kilometers per hour (51 miles per hour) in a 50 kilometer per hour (31 miles per hour) zone when police stopped and ticketed him Saturday. Along with getting the fine, he had his driver’s license suspended for 10 days, the Nya Aaland newspaper said.

It wasn’t the first time Wiklöf was caught driving too fast. In 2018, he was fined 63,680 euros ($ 68,176), and he had to cough up 95,000 euros ($102,000) five years earlier.

A native of Aaland, Wiklöf is chairman of a holding company that includes businesses in the logistics, helicopter services, real estate, trade and tourism sectors.

The archipelago sits at entrance to the Gulf of Bothnia, between the Finnish city of Turku, on mainland Finland’s west coast, and Sweden’s capital of Stockholm.

Nothing about being able to take a defensive driving course or hire an attorney to receive deferred adjudication. 

• Hook 'Em 2

googling that archipelago led to me an article about a tiny rocky outcropping to the west.  the outcropping is 350 meters long by 150 meters wide, and the international border between finland and sweden passes right through the middle north/south on the shorter axis.  but...

There is a lighthouse on the Finnish side of the current border, which has been unmanned and automated since 1979. When it was built by the Grand Duchy of Finland (then part of the Russian Empire) in 1885, the island was considered a no-man's land, so the lighthouse was simply built upon the highest point of the island.[5] However, the location selected was within the Swedish portion of the island. Though the lighthouse was formally on the Swedish side of the border, it was never considered Swedish, or administrated from Sweden.

As a result, the border was adjusted in 1985 so that the lighthouse is now located on Finnish territory.[8] The adjustment was carried out such that no net transfer of territory occurred, and the ownership of the coastline was unchanged so as not to interfere with each country's fishing rights.

This resulted in an unusual shape for the international border to satisfy both Finnish and Swedish interests. The adjusted border takes the form of an inverted 'S', and the lighthouse is connected to the rest of Finland only by a short stretch of land. The border on the island is around 480 metres (1,570 ft) long.

undefined
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3
  • Drool 1

13 minutes ago, elfenix said:

googling that archipelago led to me an article about a tiny rocky outcropping to the west.  the outcropping is 350 meters long by 150 meters wide, and the international border between finland and sweden passes right through the middle north/south on the shorter axis.  but...

undefined

Europe always trys to act like they're smarter and more sophisticated than the US and yet their history is plagued with ridiculous shit like this. 

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

You can't tell me that a fair number of well-off people don't worry about parking or speed tickets as they either pay them, or send down a lawyer to contest. Make the ticket hurt a bit financially and their behavior would change.

I'm not sure that the rich want to get their car booted.

I like the idea of tying the size of the fine to the ability to pay.  In the US, huge corporations get away with polluting air and water because the fines are less than the cost to treat, so they chose to pay the fines.  Meanwhile a small town with problems at their wastewater plant can be hit with the same size fine, with far, far less ability to pay it.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, po elvis said:

what else does it say?

COPENHAGEN, Denmark (AP) — A wealthy driver has been fined 121,000 euros ($129,544) for speeding in Finland, where such penalties are calculated on the basis of an offender’s income.

“I really regret the matter,” the main newspaper for the Aaland Islands, an autonomous region of Finland in the Baltic Sea, quoted Anders Wiklöf as saying in an article published Monday.

Wiklöf was driving 82 kilometers per hour (51 miles per hour) in a 50 kilometer per hour (31 miles per hour) zone when police stopped and ticketed him Saturday. Along with getting the fine, he had his driver’s license suspended for 10 days, the Nya Aaland newspaper said.

It wasn’t the first time Wiklöf was caught driving too fast. In 2018, he was fined 63,680 euros ($ 68,176), and he had to cough up 95,000 euros ($102,000) five years earlier.

A native of Aaland, Wiklöf is chairman of a holding company that includes businesses in the logistics, helicopter services, real estate, trade and tourism sectors.

The archipelago sits at entrance to the Gulf of Bothnia, between the Finnish city of Turku, on mainland Finland’s west coast, and Sweden’s capital of Stockholm.

Just now, tx 3 putt said:

$50 to a lawyer in Houston, and it’s gone !

When I was 16 I got a bunch of tickets (5, maybe 6, can’t remember) very shortly after getting my license.  I hired the guy who advertised in the TV guide and he made them go away for $200.

On 6/6/2023 at 9:53 AM, Scheiss Meister said:

I like the idea of tying the size of the fine to the ability to pay.  In the US, huge corporations get away with polluting air and water because the fines are less than the cost to treat, so they chose to pay the fines.  Meanwhile a small town with problems at their wastewater plant can be hit with the same size fine, with far, far less ability to pay it.

UPS takes this approach with parking tickets. Drivers get told to park right out front, right in a lane if necessary, and turn in all your parking tickets at the end of the shift. Paying all those parking fines is cheaper than slowing down the operation.