2024 Texas Baseball

Hookem2147

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

Walk-on it sounds like. Was super highly touted coming out of HS but has struggled to throw strikes. Walked almost a batter per inning at McLennan while striking out over a batter per inning.

Let's get him a subscription to the Victoria's Secret catalog. 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Walk-on it sounds like. Was super highly touted coming out of HS but has struggled to throw strikes. Walked almost a batter per inning at McLennan while striking out over a batter per inning.

Seems like a little pet project for DP. I could see  Pierce developing him into a set up man/late inning bullpen dude. Pierce has done a pretty good job getting the most out of pitchers in his time here

9 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

I think Pierce definitely has a type from a pitching perspective. He likes arms that are really raw but you can see the projectable stuff. 

LBJ is a prime example. 

2 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I think Pierce definitely has a type from a pitching perspective. He likes arms that are really raw but you can see the projectable stuff. 

LBJ is a prime example. 

What he did with Bocchi was fucking incredible 

• Hook 'Em 1

Miss St boards had mentioned this the past 2 weeks.    Besides NIL,  the link was Chuck Box, aggy Director of Player Development and former renown high school coach in Mississipi, who apparently had an excellent relationship with Montgomery.

Edited by torre

On 7/20/2023 at 12:35 PM, Rickylovesweed said:

I would bet one of those teams "offering above performance" is aggy. I said this a couple of pages back but they've done nothing substantial on the transfer market and didn't return any of the borderline players that were a draft risk. 

Then Pagiarini (their best transfer addition) signed with a MLB team. They almost certainly have a lot of NIL sitting around because they haven't done much of anything. 

The Montgomery news isn't terribly surprising. 

I knew they had to have some NIL available because they had done nothing in the portal and in terms of keeping potential returning players from the draft. 

I thought 48 players was a high number, but LSU has 46.    From google search:

NCAA Division I baseball programs will continue with increased roster size and scholarship limits for the 2023-24 academic year in a somewhat similar manner to the way they have been impacted for the past three years.

The reasons for these increased limits include:

Many athletes still having an additional year of eligibility available as the result of the NCAA rulings related to the pandemic.

Major League Baseball reducing the size of the MLB Draft from 40 rounds to 20 rounds.

The decrease in the number of minor league teams from 162 to 120.

There will be a 40-man limit on roster size for Division I programs during the 2024 baseball season.

Up to 32 student-athletes will be allowed to receive a baseball scholarship – an increase from the normal limit of 27 in Division I.

The additional “counters” (scholarship athletes counting against the team scholarship limit) must be included in the maximum team limit of 11.7 scholarships and must be provided the minimum scholarship value of 25%.

NCAA Division I Baseball Roster and Scholarship Limits for the 2023-24 School Year - Informed Athlete

• Like 1

Title IX gets a bad rap on some stuff and other instances, it's ridiculous.  Most adamantly supportive folks of it acknowledge the variance for football because you need all those bodies to run practices and account for injuries.  Stuff like swimming, tennis, rowing...yes injuries occur but there's really no subbing or need for massive amounts of bodies to practice.  So the 1:1 balance, or even over-weighted to women's sports is fine.  We've moved along with it for decades.  

But to me, college baseball is unique in one regard compared to almost all other sports.  Pitching.  You don't even need to be 2-deep at every position except catcher.  You can field a competitive team with 5 scholarship outfielders, 6 scholarship infielders, and 2-3 catchers.  But the real issue, IMHO, is the pitching staff.   There should be a separate carve-out for pitchers because you need so many of them and you don't to beat the shit outta their arms.  Yeah, it's not MLB...but these staffs are throwing 35-45 innings per week for four months.  You can't do that with 5 scholarships to spread over ~18 pitchers.  We're fortunate at Texas our #4 & spot starters and back of the bullpen guys are good enough to go as long as called upon. But most Div. 1 & all Div. II programs, after maybe 2-3 guys tops...the rest of those 15 guys who get $250 each for books have to tear up their arms because they come in so early and pitch so frequently because the staffs are so top heavy.  I dunno, not explaining it well (as usual), but there should be a carve out for pitchers with some sorta caveat for 2-way players that you gotta throw at least 10 innings per season (barring injury) to qualify.  There's already resentment between guys on 50-100% scholarship packages from guys just getting  book money.  We can level that at UT with NIL money but for 75% of the programs in the country where the NIL deal is free pizza near Youngstown State or whatever, help out the pitching staffs.  I'd like it expanded more to the whole baseball programs, but baby steps.  

2 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Title IX gets a bad rap on some stuff and other instances, it's ridiculous.  Most adamantly supportive folks of it acknowledge the variance for football because you need all those bodies to run practices and account for injuries.  Stuff like swimming, tennis, rowing...yes injuries occur but there's really no subbing or need for massive amounts of bodies to practice.  So the 1:1 balance, or even over-weighted to women's sports is fine.  We've moved along with it for decades.  

But to me, college baseball is unique in one regard compared to almost all other sports.  Pitching.  You don't even need to be 2-deep at every position except catcher.  You can field a competitive team with 5 scholarship outfielders, 6 scholarship infielders, and 2-3 catchers.  But the real issue, IMHO, is the pitching staff.   There should be a separate carve-out for pitchers because you need so many of them and you don't to beat the shit outta their arms.  Yeah, it's not MLB...but these staffs are throwing 35-45 innings per week for four months.  You can't do that with 5 scholarships to spread over ~18 pitchers.  We're fortunate at Texas our #4 & spot starters and back of the bullpen guys are good enough to go as long as called upon. But most Div. 1 & all Div. II programs, after maybe 2-3 guys tops...the rest of those 15 guys who get $250 each for books have to tear up their arms because they come in so early and pitch so frequently because the staffs are so top heavy.  I dunno, not explaining it well (as usual), but there should be a carve out for pitchers with some sorta caveat for 2-way players that you gotta throw at least 10 innings per season (barring injury) to qualify.  There's already resentment between guys on 50-100% scholarship packages from guys just getting  book money.  We can level that at UT with NIL money but for 75% of the programs in the country where the NIL deal is free pizza near Youngstown State or whatever, help out the pitching staffs.  I'd like it expanded more to the whole baseball programs, but baby steps.  

Under this thought process you could do 12 scholarships for position players and 8 just for pitchers.

4 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Not to drive this conversation off a cliff but the 1:1 scholarship match not taking football's colossal roster and central position in most athletic departments into account absolutely fucks over men's Olympic sports.

Edited by texifornia

So there's a Storm coming?  

Also, I know he's a big guy...but how the fuck do you get hit by 30 pitches in 113 games?  

Also, he was mainly 1b in 2022, with just a bit of DH and RF peppered in.  Where did they have him last year?  Doesn't say in his player bio, but judging by his fielding stats, he was somewhere not 1b a great deal of the time.

Edited by YGIFS

56 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Also, I know he's a big guy...but how the fuck do you get hit by 30 pitches in 113 games?  

Also, he was mainly 1b in 2022, with just a bit of DH and RF peppered in.  Where did they have him last year?  Doesn't say in his player bio, but judging by his fielding stats, he was somewhere not 1b a great deal of the time.

He played 1B in their postseason games.

2 hours ago, YGIFS said:

He's going to be behind the eight ball coming in so late. My guess is he'll get mainly DH at bats early as they work him in and then go from there. 

On 8/25/2023 at 1:47 PM, cochamps said:

Another issue with Title IX that affects UT is that we don't have to give women 50% of our total scholarships.  We have to give the % of total women's enrollment, and that percentage is closer to 60%.

That's true for most universities these days isn't it?

Edited by WBT

• 2 weeks later...

Lineup is going to be amazing.  Position player bench will be deep.  Both on par with Omaha teams of the past.

Starting pitching has a lot of risk.  They are gonna be very dependent on Witt and LBJ.  I don’t see another surefire weekend starter on that roster.  They’ll be fine during the week and they should be able to lean on the bullpen quite a bit.  But if Witt or LBJ don’t live up to their ceiling I have a hard time seeing this team winning it all.

On 9/15/2023 at 1:22 PM, YGIFS said:

Got excited, thought maybe Fall Ball/FWS dates were announed.  Soon though, right?  

Give it two more weeks.

Last year they announced fall ball games on October 6th. Playing Houston and San Jac a single game on Sunday (14 innings), the last two weekends in October. The Orange/White Fall World Series followed the first weekend in November (3 games Th, Fri, Sat).

• Hook 'Em 1

A few baseball nuggets from OB

* Based on what OB has heard, there is a real possibility that Sophomore Jared Thomas will be in line to take over the CF position vacated by super senior Eric Kennedy.

* Freshman catcher Nik Sanders has stood out among the freshman and is certainly in the mix to receive playing time at catcher as he has been a standout so far. Defensively, he still needs work but is in line to get early playing time.

* Coach David Pierce, Jack O’Dowd, Jared Thomas and Lebarron Johnson Jr will speak to the media on Friday, we will have a post with updates from that availability.

* Predicting the lineup for the start of Fall:

LF - Porter Brown
CF - Jared Thomas
RF - Will Gasparino
3B - Peyton Powell
SS - Jalin Flores
2B - Jack O’Dowd
1B - TBD - expectation is that Luke Storm will take over when he arrives on campus in January
C - Nik Sanders / Rylan Galvan

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1