Ozark- Netflix

Sbbruin

Yeah, definitely odd to not get back to the car wreck before the conclusion of the half season. Most people will totally forget about that, understandably, considering everything that has gone down since.

Still an entertaining show. I knew Darlene was gonna get pinched at some point soon with her shoot first, ask questions later style. Good riddance, because the Darlene/Wyatt deal was just off.

Was/am expecting Wendy to get killed as well because she was pretty off the handle this season and Navarro clearly seems to be more connected with her than Marty.

Do we have any idea when the final episodes will released?

5 hours ago, LonghornSean said:

Yeah, definitely odd to not get back to the car wreck before the conclusion of the half season. Most people will totally forget about that, understandably, considering everything that has gone down since.

Still an entertaining show. I knew Darlene was gonna get pinched at some point soon with her shoot first, ask questions later style. Good riddance, because the Darlene/Wyatt deal was just off.

Was/am expecting Wendy to get killed as well because she was pretty off the handle this season and Navarro clearly seems to be more connected with her than Marty.

The car wreck scene is not to dissimilar to the opening of the last season of Breaking Bad where Walt met the dude in the diner and bought the machine gun. That didn't resolve until the last episode of the entire series.

The car wreck scene is not to dissimilar to the opening of the last season of Breaking Bad where Walt met the dude in the diner and bought the machine gun. That didn't resolve until the last episode of the entire series.

They are pretty different in my opinion. The Ozark scene had little context (maybe something in their conversation, but by the end of the episode I could t remember it). The breaking bad scene, the gun dealer was an established character. Everyone pretty much knew if we saw him, it meant Walt was buying a gun or explosives.

55 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

They are pretty different in my opinion. The Ozark scene had little context (maybe something in their conversation, but by the end of the episode I could t remember it). The breaking bad scene, the gun dealer was an established character. Everyone pretty much knew if we saw him, it meant Walt was buying a gun or explosives.

Well yeah but my point was they never referenced it again until the season finale, which is probably what will happen with the car wreck.

Edited by Nole-4-Life

10 hours ago, LonghornSean said:

The fact that the Cosgroves even considered working with Darlene instead of offing her after she shot off the boy’s dick made no sense to me.

• Hook 'Em 2

Wife(no pic) and I finished first half of Season 4 last night along with with a couple of bottles of good Malbec.  One of our favorite series to watch.  Very interesting characters and happy for Darlene.  Wyatt, not so much.  He could have easily gone on a nice boat ride with Ruth.

8 hours ago, GTX Horn said:

The fact that the Cosgroves even considered working with Darlene instead of offing her after she shot off the boy’s dick made no sense to me.

I always thought that was a strange move for the KC Mob boss.  I think it was kinda like how he backed down from Marty earlier in the series.  Marty could obviously be strong-armed, or easily killed by the Cosgrove crew in a heartbeat.  They could even concoct a plan to take over some of Marty's operations.  but the Cosgrove crew is mainly Irish Mob, not Italian. 

Because of this fact, they actually have a modicum of reasoning unlike their Italian counterparts.  So deep down inside, Frank knows what Marty said was true...a hair on Marty's head is harmed by anyone but the Cartel...everyone in K.C. will be picked off one by one and nobody will know anything about it until it's all over.  And a few of them will die in a particularly gruesome fashion.  Frank knew that when Marty said, "next time you see your son, he'll be hanging from a bridge in Juarez"...that wasn't Marty being hot-headed...that was Marty telling him exactly what would happen...precisely.  I think they gave Darlene a wide berth because they over-assumed her connection to the new operations in the area.  I haven't watched any of the new season, just reading this thread trying to convince myself "it can't be that bad, can it?"  But that's how I read the shit between KC and Darlene/Byrdes/Cartel anyway, what's left of the mob in the Midwest trying to tag-along for a game of checkers for scraps from the drug trade because pilfering copper from job sites and strong-arming pipe-fitter contracts doesn't pay what it used to.  Deep down, Frank knows the cartel can move in a half-dozen guys in one night and murder all of them where they sleep.  And unlike antiquated mob rules, they'll murder their families and make them watch before they die themselves.  Frank's trying to look out for the long-term which ain't long.  

I sort of agree with everyone's sentiments. The show is ridiculous but still better than most of the crap out there. I bailed originally during season two because it got so ridiculous, but I re-started because rona. I guess it is too lifelike as there really are no good characters, no one to cheer for.

Spoiler

Agent Miller was the only likable character, but after her little stunt not sure anymore. And it was a little hard to buy her silly "living in a unfurnished dump in Jeff City" routine. I mean she's not making cartel money, but with federal FBI experience she could afford a decent place.

And of course it is pretty unbelievable how magically the Byrde's seem to navigate and escape situations that have killed better smarter, more clever, more connected people. They uniquely can survive the cartel, the Langmores, the Snells, the FBI, local law enforcement, the KC mob? And kind of hard to buy-into how the bad guys suddenly act in uncharacteristic ways to save them. Felt like the writers just threw everything in the blender.

Spoiler

The weird storyline about the foundation and the senator seemed anachronistically silly post-Jan. 6. #noCR Not sure it's acceptable these days for TV shows to tout fraudulent election conspiracies.

I sort of agree with everyone's sentiments. The show is ridiculous but still better than most of the crap out there. I bailed originally during season two because it got so ridiculous, but I re-started because rona. I guess it is too lifelike as there really are no good characters, no one to cheer for.
Spoiler

Agent Miller was the only likable character, but after her little stunt not sure anymore. And it was a little hard to buy her silly "living in a unfurnished dump in Jeff City" routine. I mean she's not making cartel money, but with federal FBI experience she could afford a decent place.

And of course it is pretty unbelievable how magically the Byrde's seem to navigate and escape situations that have killed better smarter, more clever, more connected people. They uniquely can survive the cartel, the Langmores, the Snells, the FBI, local law enforcement, the KC mob? And kind of hard to buy-into how the bad guys suddenly act in uncharacteristic ways to save them. Felt like the writers just threw everything in the blender.
Spoiler

The weird storyline about the foundation and the senator seemed anachronistically silly post-Jan. 6. #noCR Not sure it's acceptable these days for TV shows to tout fraudulent election conspiracies.

I’m thinking the end will be like the Seinfeld finale. The whole Byrde clan is called to a sit down and is confronted by the cartel, Darlene, the FBI, the DEA, the KC mob, and everyone else with a reason to kill them and they all unload a few clips into the entire family.
  • Haha 1

can anyone explain exactly what/how the deal b/t the nephew and the FBI is supposed to work? that whole thing just felt like a bunch of jump cuts from here to here to here and suddenly tada! the nephew has a deal too! to do...what, exactly? 🤔 the uncle's at least sorta made sense, he legit wanted out and was willing to sellout his nephew for the sake of his children. the nephew...i lost the plot somewhere in there...😜

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Lulz.

Ruth:  Do you ever just lose your keys or does everything have to be Defcon 5?

Marty: (something about Defcon 1 being a bigger deal)

Ruth: Why the fuck would they make Defcon 1 more serious than Defcon 5?

I read this in Ruth's voice

Edited by EvilCaseMcCoy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Lulz.

Ruth:  Do you ever just lose your keys or does everything have to be Defcon 5?

Marty: (something about Defcon 1 being a bigger deal)

Ruth: Why the fuck would they make Defcon 1 more serious than Defcon 5?

I always thought 5 was the worst level. I mean there was a movie in the 80s called Def Con 4 which was set in a post-nuclear war.  Wasn't it also referenced in War Games?

• Haha 1

On 1/25/2022 at 12:34 PM, CooterBrown said:

I'll guess that Wendy offs Marty in the finale and ends up with the cartel boss. They haven't been setting up that relationship for nothing.

Navarro just wants to fuck and likes her when she gets shit done.  He is also good at getting in people's heads to get them to do what he wants. He flirted with her while fixing his hand which motivated her more to come up with a new plan to the FBI.  

I hate Wendy, but even she n't that dumb considering what happens to a cartel boss' girlfriends.   

Edited by utxmike05

1 hour ago, Pokoloco said:

The brother isn't really dead.  He's getting help, will be part of the finale where he, Ruth ( they'll raise baby Zeke) and the Byrdes all live happily ever after. The van wreck will be used to fake their deaths.

I'm probably wrong on all of it.

If anything, at least maybe they get a better vehicle if they survive.  Everyone drives such old ass, shitty rides in the show....like you don't have to be flashy saying "hey look at me I work with a cartel".  But cmon maybe a Tacoma, F-150, Tahoe, 4runner?

17 hours ago, mchookem said:

can anyone explain exactly what/how the deal b/t the nephew and the FBI is supposed to work? that whole thing just felt like a bunch of jump cuts from here to here to here and suddenly tada! the nephew has a deal too! to do...what, exactly? 🤔 the uncle's at least sorta made sense, he legit wanted out and was willing to sellout his nephew for the sake of his children. the nephew...i lost the plot somewhere in there...😜

i don't know what really happened, but here's a possibility:

they keep the deal with the uncle and the deal they made with the nephew is fake and used as bait, and omar is fucking him.  then with the nephew out of the way (prison?), omar can run shit for 5 years then ride off into the sunset, honoring the original plan.

the other possibility is omar gets extradited back to mexico (the fbi's way of making good on their offer), then bribes his way out of trouble and disappears, while the nephew has to be an fbi informant for 10 years while running the cartel.  having to give up that many shipments probably gets him killed at some point.

either way, it was sloppy storytelling and there's really no way to reconcile agent miller's actions.  all it did was create yet another moment the byrdes have a gun to their collective head - right as they were about to get away clean.

i feel like this whole season was wendy being an asshole and then once everybody leaves the room, marty is like "what the fuck is wrong with you?"  that and my buddy doing his best mia wallace impression then falling down the stairs. 

• Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

Since Wyatt and Darlene got married before they departed, does this mean that Ruth/Three will now own the poppy farm?  Or do we get some "long-lost" hillbilly relatives to step in?

it's all setting up the new spinoff, "keeping up with the langmores".

either that or i don't know shit about fuck.

• Haha 4

Just finished the new season.

The amount of bullshit that would never happen seems even higher than usual this season. 

Spoiler

Let's see, Frank Jr does business with the woman who shot his dick off and Ruth does business with Frank Jr who beat her into the hospital.  The each just let that shit go, no problem.  The suspicious lady sheriff who asks so many questions finds Marty deep cleaning the house of a missing woman and just, ya know, mentions it then drops it.  Maya the FBI agent with a newborn at home allows herself to be blindfolded and taken to meet a cartel boss by her fucking self.  And Maya offers Marty a temporary badge, because sure.  And how exactly did Maya get a dozen carloads of FBI agents to help her arrest Navarro without any orders from superiors, since they were off making deals?  Every agent has access to the entire FBI budget at all times?  I could go on, but suffice it to say that it's an awfully high suspension-of-disbelief requirement.

The show still works because of the characters and the acting, but it's never had the level of writing of Breaking Bad, The Wire, or The Americans.  Fun show with some good moments and no one will watch it 20 years from now.

Edited by TexArcher
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

I was getting burned out on the constant absurdity of this show back in season 3. Based on the comments here, it only gets worse and I should probably pass on season 4.

It's pretty silly. The cartel guys who ruthless kill law enforcement for no reason and long-time associates somehow give the Byrde's nine lives for no apparent reason other than Wendy's angry twat and Marty's indecisive vagina.

• Hook 'Em 1

I love this show, and agree that it's better than a lot of what's out there.

That being said, there's no nuance for any of these characters. It's like a band that has a great album, then a good follow up, and then the third is just a rehash of the melodies/themes that the first two covered.

It's just a few catch-phrases from being an ABC sit-com,  in many ways.

• Hook 'Em 1

The whole deal with Darlene didn't make sense. She had no muscle backing her, she was just a crazy old lady with a shotgun.  Not sure what took so long to take her out.

This. Made no sense, should have been first one dead.

Agent Miller decision to go blindfolded was just funny how stupid it was.

Marty and Ruth carry the show. Charlotte is solid also. The son is turning into a caricature.

9 hours ago, Harrison Bergeron said:

It's pretty silly. The cartel guys who ruthless kill law enforcement for no reason and long-time associates somehow give the Byrde's nine lives for no apparent reason other than Wendy's angry twat and Marty's indecisive vagina.

I don't have as much of a problem with the plot as most.  As has been stated, it's better than most of the crap that gets foisted on us these days.

But, yes.  Navarro's nephew solved the Darlene problem by shooting a sheriff that has been an ally of the family?  Why not avoid the scrutiny that comes with killing an elected, law enforcement official and just off the redneck?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

I don't have as much of a problem with the plot as most.  As has been stated, it's better than most of the crap that gets foisted on us these days.

But, yes.  Navarro's nephew solved the Darlene problem by shooting a sheriff that has been an ally of the family?  Why not avoid the scrutiny that comes with killing an elected, law enforcement official and just off the redneck?

iirc, he didn't shoot the sheriff to solve the darlene problem.  he knew there was a darlene problem, but i think this was coincidental.  he shot the sheriff because he saw him snooping around helen's house and knew she was dead and figured he didn't want that getting around.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, henrygandorf said:

iirc, he didn't shoot the sheriff to solve the darlene problem.  he knew there was a darlene problem, but i think this was coincidental.  he shot the sheriff because he saw him snooping around helen's house and knew she was dead and figured he didn't want that getting around.

This. Javi is playing checkers.

4 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

Got it.  I was just going off what he said to Marty afterwords when he told him he solved the "Darlene problem". 

On 1/24/2022 at 9:42 AM, zman13 said:

I wish I lived in the Ozark universe. Every time a character talks with with someone, they tell them key information, even if it's not in their best interest. 

Everyone seems to dislike the PI but they keep talking to him. There's no reason to talk to him.

This conversation is a perfect example: 

Hide contents

in episode 7, Javi is reviewing the financials for Shaw. He sees they made production and didn't need his heroin. He calls up Shaw's CEO.

(from memory):

Javi - you made your numbers. Congratulations. Where did you get your supply?

Shaw CEO - from the Byrds. They supplied it.

Why would the Shaw CEO tell a supplier, who is not supplying Shaw on purpose and is a dangerous drug cartel leader, where they were getting another source of the product? That makes no sense. 

How the conversation would have gone in real life:

Javi - you made your numbers. Congratulations. Where did you get your supply?

Shaw CEO - Fuck you. You cut off our supply. *Click*

1.  Because if conversations in any type of story telling, but especially in fiction didn't give the reader/listener/watcher some type of insight, whether into plot, character, or timing, then it would be a worthless conversation.  So, you want to watch a bunch of worthless conversations because of your interpretation of realism?  I guess and I'm not saying you're necessarily wrong in regard to this specific show, but that would be some boring shit.

2.  Spoiler -- if you haven't watched by now, then don't read.  Because Claire Shaw (isn't that a terrible name) only has a temporary fix from Marty and still needs the Mexican product to continue offsetting expenditures to help her books.  It does her no good to piss off an obviously very volatile personality in Javi so she gives him some information but not all of it.  She can't risk permanent shutdown.  She gives him enough to stay trustworthy enough but still gives the Byrds an opportunity to create or tweak a narrative they'll need to keep Javi supplying.  And lastly, she's a little intimated by Javi and that was hinted at in the scene where she tells Wendy about meeting him in the garage.

I went back and watched the opening car wreck scene and I’m calling my shot.

The episode title is “The Beginning of the End”.

Sam Cooke’s “Bring It On Home To Me” is playing in the car.

(If you ever change your mind
About leaving, leaving me behind
Baby, bring it to me
Bring your sweet loving
Bring it on home to me
Yeah (yeah) yeah (yeah) yeah (yeah)
I know I laughed when you left
But now I know I only hurt myself
Baby, bring it to me
Bring your sweet loving
Bring it on home to me
I'll give you jewellery and money, too
That ain't all, that ain't all I'll do for you
Oh, if you bring it to me
Bring your sweet loving
Bring it on home to me
You know I'll always be your slave
'Til I'm buried, buried in my grave
Oh honey, bring it to me
Bring your sweet loving
Bring it on home to me
One more thing
I tried to treat you right
But you stayed out, stayed out at night
But I forgive you, bring it to me
Bring your sweet loving
Bring it on home to me
Yeah (yeah) yeah)

Wendy says she loves his voice and Marty turns up the volume.

Wendy repeatedly keeps looking back at Jonah and Marty for interaction and engagement and Jonah won’t make eye contact and Marty won’t return her smiles.

Marty mentions they’re “all set for the FBI tomorrow” Wendy sarcastically replies “Oh joy!”.

Wendy asks what is the FBI’s temperature and Marty says it’s never above chilly. Wendy says that they’ll be there though and Marty agrees.

Wendy says “48 more hours” and then turns to Jonah and tells him she’s calling the moving company that afternoon.

Charlotte says she and Jonah are packed and Jonah says nothing and still won’t make eye contact with Wendy. Wendy turns back around and looks uneasy.

Charlotte says “Too soon?” and Marty says very much. But Charlotte is very smiley.

Charlotte says she and Jonah found an old stack of money from The Blue Cat wall and says they left it for someone to find.

Jonah says they put it in the Bibles. Wendy, again, turns to Jonah and grins and jokes that the money won’t be found for a long time. Jonah continues to ignore her and Marty gives her a “Give a rest, you crazy” look.

Wendy asks “How’s the top of Belle looking?”. Marty says great and they doubled the tables for all the RSVPs.

Wendy, again, trying to engage Jonah, turns to him and tells him he doesn’t have to go. Jonah looks at her for the first time and Marty turns to give Wendy another “Give it a rest” look and takes his eyes off the road.

That’s when we hear a big rig horn and see an 18 wheeler in their lane coming at them head on.

Charlotte screams and they run off the side of the road and flip over.

The lyrics come back to the forefront with the lyrics “But I forgive you”.

Also, the scene of Jonah and Charlotte in the tomb from episode seven. Jonah asks if she thinks about what would happen to them if their parents die. They agree they would go on the run together and everything would work out.

Something has happened to make Jonah even be in that car and seemingly agreeing to move away with the family. They’re still doing something with the foundation (the event mentioned at The Belle for the next night) and they’re still mucking around with the FBI.

Marty didn’t accidentally swerve into the wrong lane; the 18 wheeler was in their lane and wasn’t passing another car. And it’s a car transport truck.

Navarro tells Marty that the inevitable betrayal always comes from someone on the inside.

I don’t know how and I don’t know if Marty is involved but that car “accident” is going to turn out to be no accident.

Watch this trailer. “No ending is reached by accident”.

I’ve now officially put more thought into this show than the writers.
  • Hook 'Em 3