Ozark- Netflix

Sbbruin

On 2/8/2022 at 2:39 PM, Scraps said:

For as predictable as most of this show is, I thought that Wendy was going to go positively ID him(even though it wasn't him) that way they could sweep his whole death/disappearance away.  When pops was there it threw that theory out the window.  

i think pops being there was the only reason wendy even went.

This is very far down the list of silly departures from reality in this show, but I often find myself musing over how we have so many different factions of ne'er-do-wells all over this tiny tourist trap town in rural Missouri, and yet they're not constantly running into each other while just going about their daily lives. Like where does the errantic Kingpin nephew hang out when he's not menacing people? And the Byrds lawyer - what's he doing whenever he's not on screen? 

Also, I acknowledge that I don't know any Escobar-level drug lords, so I'm kind of talking out of my ass here, but why are they so often written as utterly incapable of restraint, planning, contemplation, strategy, making small concessions in order to play the long game, etc.? I get that having a rabid dog who kills at the slightest provocation and who has no regard for law enforcement or the criminal justice system makes for entertaining television, but I don't think any of those dudes got to where they are by being impetuous and shortsighted, nor do I think they would tolerate such qualities in their trusted underlings. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Wrapped up season 4A over the weekend. I'm getting to the point that any non-Ruth storyline bores me.

Spoiler

Darlene just casually murdering people left and right got to be old. I get that story arcs need to proceed, but it's a bit too much suspension of disbelief that so many of the characters are involved in a violent business but do not have protection around them.

I keep hoping Jonah shoots her in the head. 

Jonah will probably shoot her in the gut just before her brother emerges from hiding, who then shoots Jonah. Ruth takes care of the rest. I think she has some kind of Atlantis submerged pod at the bottom of the lake where she retreats to manage the legal opium poppy bidness like a ghost.

1 hour ago, Lurch said:

I’ve decided this show is just one big allusion to my work email inbox. Solve one fucking issue and two more instantly appear as a direct result. Fuck you, pay me, Bateman

Spoiler

In the last episode, I liked the flashback scenes where Marty’s dead partner was asking him if he was happy and why he didn’t enjoy life more. I was wondering if that was going to lead him to leaving Wendy. It’s impossible for the show to end with those 2 still together. 

Spoiler

In the last episode, I liked the flashback scenes where Marty’s dead partner was asking him if he was happy and why he didn’t enjoy life more. I was wondering if that was going to lead him to leaving Wendy. It’s impossible for the show to end with those 2 still together. 

They should both die but will the writers leave them together with a shred of possibility of another series in a few years? I’m with you on both needing to either be dead or split, but these writers will fuck us all
  • Haha 1

i'm pot committed, so i'll finish it out.

on my list of people who needed to get got, Darlene was at the top.  she's gone.

next is Javi, then Mel.  Wendy and Jonah round out the list.

Mel has to be there for more than just a fucking "signature" from Helen, right?  still can't figure out his angle.

Wendy acting like Ben was missing was so stupid.  Wendy's politics angle is uninteresting.

Ruth's overacting when she went to see the Byrdes was cringe-worthy.

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:

Yep, Mel is definitely not there trying to get her signature on a divorce, but I can't figure out why he's really there, either.

I saw something on Reddit that was interesting.  Some were speculating that Mel is related to Agent Roy Petty, who was investigating Marty and was killed a few seasons ago.  They do look alike.  But is a stretch.  That would be a weird callback.

Harner.jpg

ozark-season-4-new-characters.jpg?w=790&

• Hook 'Em 2

He looks more like a drunken G. Love than an Agent Petty.  

But yeah, could be an interesting plot-twist which wouldn't be that batshit insane given what else is happening on the show.  Despite the waterboarding scene last season, maybe she did leave a few clues around and husband said some shit to a relative who was ex-LEO and he said something to FBI so Petty goes down there.  

On 2/17/2022 at 3:24 PM, UT_OB1 said:

I don’t get the Jonah hate. To me the kids, Ruth, and sort of Marty are the enjoyable characters. 

Unpopular opinions thread is that way ------->

Seriously though, I think they whiffed on the kid as a child actor, I don't see how he can make an acting career going forward. He was already questionable, then he hit puberty and his acting skills are fucking terrible. The character sucks bad too.

• Like 4

On 2/16/2022 at 5:44 PM, Jive Turkey said:

I saw something on Reddit that was interesting.  Some were speculating that Mel is related to Agent Roy Petty, who was investigating Marty and was killed a few seasons ago.  They do look alike.  But is a stretch.  That would be a weird callback.

I think that could make a lot of sense.  I'm going with that for now.

• 1 month later...
52 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

I have no idea who Skylar is, but I agree.

Yeah, if you don't know who Sklyer is, then do yourself a favor and get to BB asap.  And strap it on, you are in for one fun ride. 

The more I know, the more I wish I knew less so I could go back and watch it with virgin eyes.

It looked to me like she definitely shot him but we don't know if he dies or not.  I could see how her shooting him isn't a plot line they have to protect.  It was a gut shot.  His recovery will be the big question and everything will hang on that.  There will be other cliffhangers we don't know about yet.

And I don't mind annoying characters.  Wendy and Skyler both fit the bill but you need that.  It's part of what makes you love the other characters; that empathy for them having to put up with her shit.  

Yeah, if you don't know who Sklyer is, then do yourself a favor and get to BB asap.  And strap it on, you are in for one fun ride. 
The more I know, the more I wish I knew less so I could go back and watch it with virgin eyes.

After BB move to Better Call Saul. It’s more but different. I enjoy it more than BB, but BB is great but more intense.

Caught up on Saturday AM.  This show simultaneously entertains me and drives absolutely fucking bonkers with it's gaping plot holes and general implausibility.  A few thoughts:

-I don't think the trailer is throwing misdirection.  My guess is Ruth kills Javi pretty quickly and they move on to a final central conflict between Ruth and the Byrdes.  My guess is her and Frank Jr. team up, maybe with the Byrde kids.

-I think the Byrde children flip on their parents and fight alongside Ruth.  Wendy's absolutely a bad guy and there is no way they let her really win.  If she does, it will be in the way that Walter White "wins" in Breaking Bad.

-Probably some layer of FBI corruption comes to light after Javi's death, and they try to stop everyone.  Maybe Omar is assisting them?

-I was excited to see Darlene blown away.  I hate the irrational stupidity of these bad guys.  Javi dying will be satisfying for the same reason.  I felt a little bad for Wyatt, but I'm glad I don't have to see them make out again.

-Javi, Wendy and Marty lose.  Ruth, Frank Jr, the Byrd kids, and Omar "win".

Caught up on Saturday AM.  This show simultaneously entertains me and drives absolutely fucking bonkers with it's gaping plot holes and general implausibility.  A few thoughts:
-I don't think the trailer is throwing misdirection.  My guess is Ruth kills Javi pretty quickly and they move on to a final central conflict between Ruth and the Byrdes.  My guess is her and Frank Jr. team up, maybe with the Byrde kids.
-I think the Byrde children flip on their parents and fight alongside Ruth.  Wendy's absolutely a bad guy and there is no way they let her really win.  If she does, it will be in the way that Walter White "wins" in Breaking Bad.
-Probably some layer of FBI corruption comes to light after Javi's death, and they try to stop everyone.  Maybe Omar is assisting them?
-I was excited to see Darlene blown away.  I hate the irrational stupidity of these bad guys.  Javi dying will be satisfying for the same reason.  I felt a little bad for Wyatt, but I'm glad I don't have to see them make out again.
-Javi, Wendy and Marty lose.  Ruth, Frank Jr, the Byrd kids, and Omar "win".

The Byrde kids are criminals. It could be Wendy ends up running the Cartel and becomes a Senator. Or the family gets a reality show.

So I think Ruth finally wins and all the Byrdes get murderdeathkilled and she leaves as the sole survivor. Maybe to become a Missouri version of Joe Kennedy to legitimize her illgotten gains to become a powerhouse.

If Javi dies and leaves a power vacuum in the cartel something else has to fill it.