Tourist Trip to Titanic Terribly Turns Tragic

MrBig

2 hours ago, MrBig said:

I doubt they even had 96 hours of oxygen in there. They just tell people that to make them feel better.

Journalist who had been on the sub said they had carbonmonoxide scrubbers, like on space flights.  Then a backup system, which is more Carbon monoxide scrubbers, which they would hang from the ceiling like fly paper.  Then there was a third backup which I can't recall, but the key takeaway is that the 96 hour thing had never been tested.  They just added up the hours that each scrubber said it worked for.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I mean, they're most certainly dead, right? it's been more than 72 hours, has it not? if they didn't die from being crushed instantly they had to have suffocated by now., it would seem to reason

Was the 96 hours based on 5 people alive for the entire time?

I suppose there’s that tiny chance 1-2 people could kill the other 3-4 people and buy themselves more time. Even if that did happen, it’s highly unlikely that more time, even double the time, would amount to being rescued. Plus, they would become murderers in the final hours of their lives.

I mean, they're most certainly dead, right? it's been more than 72 hours, has it not? if they didn't die from being crushed instantly they had to have suffocated by now., it would seem to reason

I suppose there’s that tiny chance 1-2 people could kill the other 3-4 people and buy themselves more time. Even if that did happen, it’s highly unlikely that more time, even double the time, would amount to being rescued. Plus, they would become murderers in the final hours of their lives.

13 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

96 hr mark is 10 am tomorrow morning....

The whole 96 hrs was pretty much best case scenario as I saw a report (believe the journalist that had been on it, and his trip had electrical issues) stated that was a total time that they thought they had per the CEO after he did a dive when first testing. But he was by himself with no one else on board. These four days have looking have been to appease the masses. It switches to a recovery come sometime tomorrow. And that will eventually fade away too. They are gonna have to be on the ship itself or tangled within, otherwise a 22' (?) submersible isn't being found. It took years ( and tons of money) to find the Titanic plus the WW2 ships that have been found.

Edited by BillyGoatHill

6 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

It doesn't matter if they don't have enough water.

I mean I guess they could drink the other's blood.

16 minutes ago, Wade said:

Journalist who had been on the sub said they had carbonmonoxide scrubbers, like on space flights.  Then a backup system, which is more Carbon monoxide scrubbers, which they would hang from the ceiling like fly paper.  Then there was a third backup which I can't recall, but the key takeaway is that the 96 hour thing had never been tested.  They just added up the hours that each scrubber said it worked for.

You mean like, plants?  And carbon dioxide?

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, BillyGoatHill said:

The whole 96 hrs was pretty much best case scenario as I saw a report (believe the journalist that had been on it, and his trip had electrical issues) stated that was a total time that they thought they had per the CEO after he did a dive when first testing. But he was by himself with no one else on board. These four days have looking have been to appease the masses. It switches to a recovery come sometime tomorrow. And that will eventually fade away too. They are gonna have to be on the ship itself or tangled within, otherwise a 22' (?) submersible isn't being found. It took years ( and tons of money) to find the Titanic plus the WW2 ships that have been found.

So they're obviously all dead. Is what you're saying. 

22 minutes ago, twosheds said:

Get A Life was a terrible show. Even in the early 90’s. I still watched it.

Your mind is demented for remembering this.

Is it too much to ask if somehow msnbc or some other news network can get Chris Elliott on as an expert submarine builder?  

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

This whole thing feels like the flat earth rocket man, Elizabeth Holmes, and the Fyre Festival team got together to plan an underwater business venture.

All managed and owned by Elon Musk.

14 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

How do they know who’s killing who if it’s pitch black in there?

If it's not you, do you really care?

11 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

You mean like, plants?

This thread is just bringing it hard.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

Not surprised reading about this. ^^^^

Thanks to that article you posted, I just spent 2.5 hours traveling across Wikipedia and various Titanic fansites reading about Straus and his wife's death and how they only found his body and Col. Archibald Gracie IV and him dying 8 months later after writing a book about surviving the Titanic, and the neighborhood he lived in, and some Queen Anne house his relatives were associated with (and his grandfather built the Gracie House or whatever back in 1800 or so that the current NYC mayor lives in) and then it sent me on a leap to a Queen Anne house that Peter Norton (North Computing) restored and then had rebuilt after a fire, and then reading about all of the stuff he did in the 80s and 90s with his computer company and Symantec, and then reading about his divorce, and then remarrying and the house he restored, and then fucking realizing he's a double for Rick Steves, and have we seen the two of them in a room, and then somehow I ended up reading about Pamela Smart's court ruling earlier this year leading her to spending the rest of her life in jail.

That was my evening - reading about rich people dying on the Titanic in 1912 because rich people are once again dying on the Titanic, to Queen Anne-style houses, Peter Norton and all of his DOS and Windows utilities, to Pamela Smart finally being told it's life behind bars for her.

Season 9 Thank You GIF by The Office

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Drool 1

1 minute ago, Horn Dogg said:

Time for Surly night crew to start monitoring this guy trying to guess what all the ships are doing.  

On it. Why are ships meeting? Need to exchange flags. 

Sitting here with a Canadian buddy and we are laughing a bit. Loved the comment that the Canadian vessel did not have the crew on board to run their submersible, so they are going to trust the company that just lost one. 

3 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

On it. Why are ships meeting? Need to exchange flags. 

Sitting here with a Canadian buddy and we are laughing a bit. Loved the comment that the Canadian vessel did not have the crew on board to run their submersible, so they are going to trust the company that just lost one. 

Maybe they are handing off some fresh Timbits and coffee?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

29 minutes ago, Auto Driller said:

Who knew that the only thing that could unite our bitterly divided society was a bunch of rich people sinking to the bottom of the ocean. I’m a little confused, to be honest.

well everybody pretty much came together last year realizing Amber Heard was total psycho and Johnny was lucky to escape that relationship alive.

in these troubled times, it's the important little things that bring us together ❤️ 🇺🇸

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

17 hours ago, Captainant said:

Pretty solid overview video from a 20yr USN nuclear sub sonar operator

Not many lulz, but super informative for the ins and outs and whathaveyous for design, construction, and safety of this boondoggle. 

Sidenote, this has gotta be a point for the "we're in a simulation" crowd right? The fucking company is named "OceanGate" like some goddamn easy bake news headline

In vegas playing poker so just now catching up on this thread.

This is a great video and he has many of the same questions I did.

And yes, he is strait out of central casting for a sonar operator. Looks just like our entire sonar room.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, blacklab said:

In vegas playing poker so just now catching up on this thread.

This is a great video and he has many of the same questions I did.

And yes, he is strait out of central casting for a sonar operator. Looks just like our entire sonar room.

Jesus.

That sub was doomed from the start.

Some great comments attached to that video from other submariners, too.

• Hook 'Em 1