Tourist Trip to Titanic Terribly Turns Tragic

MrBig

In the 1990s Jon Krakaeur wrote Into Thin Air which was a massive bestseller and turned into a story about how the already well-underway commercialization of climbing Everest was dangerous and bad. That book and tragedy just inspired and sped up the industry. I’ll bet that right now there are lots of people planning to start up their own deep sea tourism companies and a lot of rich people thinking they’d like to go. 

• Hook 'Em 3

There's a guy named Mauro Prosperi who competed in an 150mi ultramarathon across the Moroccan desert.  On day 4 he got lost, and tried to eke out a survival waiting for rescue efforts.  When all hope vanished, he tried to cut himself with a pocket knife to accelerate his death.  His blood clotted at the wound and the attempt was unsuccessful.  Eventually, after 9 days of being missing, he was found and rescued.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mauro_Prosperi

Anyway, these people down there stuck in a tiny vessel, with now no water, no food, no oxygen, and probably no means with which to kill themselves...thats fucking horrors beyond imagination

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

12 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

One of the earlier reports said they had 70 and not 96 but we have to keep the thread going. We gotta do our part. 

"CAPCOM - GOLD
- Ah, yeah, Jim. Could you check your CO2 gauge for us?

JIM LOVELL - Yeah, Houston. We were just looking at that. Our CO2 measurement has jumped four notches in the last hour.

FRED HAISE - That can't be right. I went over those numbers three times.

CAPCOM - GOLD - Jim, that sounds about right. We were expecting that.

JIM LOVELL  - Well, that's very comforting to know, Houston. What do we do about it?

CAPCOM - GOLD - Jim, we're working on a procedure down here for you... Do you copy?

FRED HAISE
- Oh, Christ.

JIM LOVELL - All right, Houston. We're standing by for those procedures.

FRED HAISE - Christ, I know why my numbers are wrong. I only figured it for two people.

JACK SWIGERT - Maybe I should just hold my breath."

Seems like I read that the 96 hours was for 4 people. There are 5 lucky winners today.

image.png

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

In the 1990s Jon Krakaeur wrote Into Thin Air which was a massive bestseller and turned into a story about how the already well-underway commercialization of climbing Everest was dangerous and bad. That book and tragedy just inspired and sped up the industry. I’ll bet that right now there are lots of people planning to start up their own deep sea tourism companies and a lot of rich people thinking they’d like to go. 

If less of these stupid rich people make it back to the surface, is it a bad thing?

10 hours ago, BillyGoatHill said:

96 hr mark is 10 am tomorrow morning....

The whole 96 hrs was pretty much best case scenario as I saw a report (believe the journalist that had been on it, and his trip had electrical issues) stated that was a total time that they thought they had per the CEO after he did a dive when first testing. But he was by himself with no one else on board. These four days have looking have been to appease the masses. It switches to a recovery come sometime tomorrow. And that will eventually fade away too. They are gonna have to be on the ship itself or tangled within, otherwise a 22' (?) submersible isn't being found. It took years ( and tons of money) to find the Titanic plus the WW2 ships that have been found.

they gone 

4 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

I think the one thing we can all take away from this is…

never go down in a sub with no chicks. 

That last gasp orgy has to suck. 

Man that would have been a real awkward time for them to be found, first thing the ROV camera sees thru the porthole is a man train.... NTTAWWT

12 hours ago, freyguy said:

I think I remember in one of the Tom Clamcy books, he described what happens to the crew of a submarine when there's a hull rupture.  First everything is incinerated due to the rapid rise in air pressure.  Then you get pulverized by the seawater...

The ideal gas law ... is the equation of state of a hypothetical ideal gas. I know, ... no math.

PV=nRT, 

where P, V & T, the variables, are the Pressure, Volume and Temperature respectively, and the "n" and "R" are constants, (PV=T);

So, if the volume is fixed, for any increase in pressure there will be a proportional increase in temperature. 

Basically, if the pressure increases from atmospheric pressure (14.7 #/in2) to ~ 6,000 #/in2, there is a 400+ fold increase in pressure, which results in a proportional increase in temperature, the "heat of compression."

Spoiler. Don't read any more.

Eyeballing the pictures, the volume of air in the capsule would compress from the actual internal space to a volume a little bigger than a 5 gallon bucket. Envision a syringe the size of the capsule being instantaneously injected into a 5 gallon bucket, and in the process momentarily jumping to ~ 4,000  ° F (???), ...   or, don't.

• Hook 'Em 2

We all died in a crappy submarine
Crappy submarine, Crappy submarine
We all died in a crappy submarine
Crappy submarine, Crappy submarine

And our friends were all aboard
Many more of them stayed ashore
And the band began to play
  • Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, PTINS said:

The ideal gas law ... is the equation of state of a hypothetical ideal gas. I know, ... no math.

PV=nRT, 

where P, V & T, the variables, are the Pressure, Volume and Temperature respectively, and the "n" and "R" are constants, (PV=T);

So, if the volume is fixed, for any increase in pressure there will be a proportional increase in temperature. 

Basically, if the pressure increases from atmospheric pressure (14.7 #/in2) to ~ 6,000 #/in2, there is a 400+ fold increase in pressure, which results in a proportional increase in temperature, the "heat of compression."

Eyeballing the pictures, the volume of air in the capsule would compress from the actual internal space to a volume a little bigger than a 5 gallon bucket. Envision a syringe the size of the capsule being instantaneously injected into a 5 gallon bucket, and in the process momentarily jumping to ~ 4,000  ° F (???), ...   or, don't.

So it's like when I'm sitting in the air conditioning and walk outside in Texas today?

10 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

:families frantically looked at exclusion language in insurance policies: 

Ha! good point.  As an insurance man, I would think submarine hobby at 13K ft is an exclusion, unless they bought something like hole in one insurance as a one off policy.

1 minute ago, jdhorn92 said:

Ha! good point.  As an insurance man, I would think submarine hobby at 13K ft is an exclusion, unless they bought something like hole in one insurance as a one off policy.

My guess is that thing had the equivalent of a 30/60/25 high deductible policy from the general.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, PTINS said:

PV=nRT, 

TL:DR - they got diesel'd

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, PTINS said:

PV=nRT, 

Pressure goes up but volume goes down, so the temp does not have to rise dramatically.  Depends on the proportion of each. 

Well I seen it, the darkest of the Titanic submarine memes. I'm not even comfortable posting it here. Let's just say it involves a picture of George Floyd. I think you get the gist. Goddamn, the internet is a brutal place. I literally hate myself for chuckling a bit.

Edited by 'stache

So the wife this morning asked me when I think they will find this.  My response was never.  I then indicated that this would be like finding a tic tac in our garage that has been crushed, in the dark, while probing with some twine from our roof.  

Scientists, is my basic premise apt?  

• Haha 3

So the wife this morning asked me when I think they will find this.  My response was never.  I then indicated that this would be like finding a tic tac in our garage that has been crushed, in the dark, while probing with some twine from our roof.  
Scientists, is my basic premise apt?  

The "garage"? Hey fellas, the "garage"! Well, ooh la di da, Mr. French Man.
  • Haha 2
  • Drool 1