Tourist Trip to Titanic Terribly Turns Tragic

MrBig

2 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

What if the submersible was sunk when it hit an uncharted iceberg?
That would be the ultimate irony, and I think I found a photo of the guilty berg.

Hide contents

The phallic iceberg in Newfoundland’s Conception Bay.

[Helobious] untrue. while that may look like an iceberg, its actually been proven that its a ham sandwich. [/Helobious]

• Haha 9

38 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

I’m not a materials engineer but it seems to me that if you hear carbon fiber cracking or popping 2.5 miles underwater you might as well just have this be the alarm:

Ralph Wiggum Danger GIF

I’m not a materials engineer but at that depth I don’t think you’d hear carbon fiber cracking or popping for long before the intense pressure crushed the vehicle and it’s occupants. The sound they detected was reportedly a knocking that was repeated over some length of time so presumably the submariners are alive and signaling to rescuers.

The tiktok video I saw was a former navy guy that seems pretty knowledgeable on other stuff. The vid was basically him commenting on that NBC news tour of the sub. Someone in the comment section said the hatch being bolted shut thing was false. Seemed way more believable than the alternative. If it ends up being true you’ll all look pretty dumb for making so much fun of me about it.

7 minutes ago, Grade of D as in David said:

Y'all I've been on TikTok for the last hour researching this and all I've come across are big tittied chicks

If you get yourself a black Wal-Mart t-shirt and a silver chain off of Amazon, those chicks would love you. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Helobious said:

The tiktok video I saw was a former navy guy that seems pretty knowledgeable on other stuff. The vid was basically him commenting on that NBC news tour of the sub. Someone in the comment section said the hatch being bolted shut thing was false. Seemed way more believable than the alternative. If it ends up being true you’ll all look pretty dumb for making so much fun of me about it.

Link please.

9 minutes ago, Helobious said:

As I mentioned upthread, the original Mercury capsule was fitted with exploding bolts because of this very issue and was “bolt from outside.” They only added the exploding bolts because astronauts demanded them. 

Engineering a custom hatch with a wheel and locking mechanism they can be open inside or outside is expensive and this submarine was done cheaply.  It’s easier to have the crew outside bolt you in than have this bolt from inside and you have to carry a torque wrench with you. 

They probably decided that it was also more likely that in an emergency surface, its more likely that the crew and passengers are disabled and can’t open the hatch than the vessel can’t be found. Or if the boat surfaced but was taking on water, it’s also easier and safer to get in from outside. 

Very little about this entire operation makes sense although it’s easy to see how they ended up with this “solution.” 

• Hook 'Em 3

I’m sure this has been addressed but what country/government oversees the Titanic wreckage? Just curious which country? I had read it’s considered under US control but who knows. Thought at least trips down to see the wreckage would have to get permission and honestly can’t understand why any country would approve this shit? Also which country handles the rescue efforts? I know countries are helping with this just wondering if there are legal answers for any of that. Also that tweet above isn’t encouraging at all if people are holding out hope for the Titan 5.

IMG_6675.jpeg

• Haha 4

11 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

As I mentioned upthread, the original Mercury capsule was fitted with exploding bolts because of this very issue and was “bolt from outside.” They only added the exploding bolts because astronauts demanded them. 

Engineering a custom hatch with a wheel and locking mechanism they can be open inside or outside is expensive and this submarine was done cheaply.  It’s easier to have the crew outside bolt you in than have this bolt from inside and you have to carry a torque wrench with you. 

They probably decided that it was also more likely that in an emergency surface, its more likely that the crew and passengers are disabled and can’t open the hatch than the vessel can’t be found. Or if the boat surfaced but was taking on water, it’s also easier and safer to get in from outside. 

Very little about this entire operation makes sense although it’s easy to see how they ended up with this “solution.” 

Also, given the fact that these "employees" along for the ride don't have any real experience, maybe not ideal to have a readily available mechanism for opening the hatch from the inside.  "What does this handle do?" or "I gotta get outta here!  I gotta get outta here!" 

Still, they should have had something.  I won't attempt to post the Nintendo cheat code again for fear the Mario squad will chide me repeatedly.  But something like that with an "are you sure, click to proceed fail safe" and maybe something to assure that they aren't below the surface (toilet tank float switch from camping world).

The odd number of bolts on a circular hatch is messing with me as well.

Edited by dcbc

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

What external factors? You guessed it, Hunter Biden's dong.

Which, conveniently, could be dangled over the side of a surface vessel and probably reach a submersible sitting on bottom.

Of course, that's just insult to injury - you're sitting on the bottom of ocean, running out of air, realizing you are in your last moments on this earth....and Hunter Biden slaps his mushroom stamp on the porthole.

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

I’m sure this has been addressed but what country/government oversees the Titanic wreckage? Just curious which country? I had read it’s considered under US control but who knows. Thought at least trips down to see the wreckage would have to get permission and honestly can’t understand why any country would approve this shit? Also which country handles the rescue efforts? I know countries are helping with this just wondering if there are legal answers for any of that. Also that tweet above isn’t encouraging at all if people are holding out hope for the Titan 5.

IMG_6675.jpeg

The wreckage is owned by an American company. It's in Canadian waters and is registered in Britain...  So e'erbody I guess

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, OU Sucks said:

So your source is Daniel Hubbs, random Tik Tok user who couldn't manage to write a proper sentence and who gives conflicting information to the guy you say seems pretty knowledgeable? 🤔

image.png.eaa90086685008919e3313858941e4e1.png

Yeah that actually is the one. For whatever reason I thought it had 100s of likes and that everyone was agreeing with him

whoops

3 minutes ago, dcbc said:

Also, given the fact that these "employees" along for the ride don't have any real experience, maybe not ideal to have a readily available mechanism for opening the hatch from the inside.  Still, they should have had something.  I won't attempt to post the Nintendo cheat code again for fear the Mario squad will chide me again.  But something like that with an "are you sure, click to proceed fail safe" and maybe something to assure that they aren't below the surface (toilet bowl float switch from camping world).

The odd number of bolts on a circular hatch is messing with me as well.

All of the potential solutions (extra hatch, idiot-proof system) add more complexity and money and more things to fail. 

I am not defending this company, I’m just saying that I can see the logic once they committed themselves to a particular type of bad decision making. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Which, conveniently, could be dangled over the side of a surface vessel and probably reach a submersible sitting on bottom.
Of course, that's just insult to injury - you're sitting on the bottom of ocean, running out of air, realizing you are in your last moments on this earth....and Hunter Biden slaps his mushroom stamp on the porthole.
What's long, hard, and full of sea men?
  • Haha 1

Could it have sprung a leak before it got to crush depth which made it impossible to ascend? Then it slowly filled with water as it went deeper and deeper, toward its ultimate spot beside the great Olympic class liner at rest in the frigid abyss?

17 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

So maybe not dead yet? Or they at least didn’t implode? 

A CANADIAN AIRCRAFT searching for the missing Titan submersible, which failed to return Sunday from an expedition to the wreckage of the Titanic, detected “banging” in 30-minute intervals coming from the area the divers disappeared, according to internal e-mail updates sent to Department of Homeland Security leadership and obtained by Rolling Stone. 

“RCC Halifax launched a P8, Poseidon, which has underwater detection capabilities from the air,” the DHS e-mails read. “The P8 deployed sonobuoys, which reported a contact in a position close to the distress position. The P8 heard banging sounds in the area every 30 minutes. Four hours later additional sonar was deployed and banging was still heard.” The announcement did not state what time the banging was heard, or what was thought to have caused it.

The announcement also stated that “the Joint Rescue Coordination Centre is working to find an underwater remote-operated vehicle through partner organizations to possibly assist.” Previous reports on the search for the missing submersible have stated that the Navy’s manned rescue craft can only descend about 2,000 feet underwater, and that if the divers were discovered closer to the approximate 13,000 foot depth of the Titanic wreckage, an underwater drone, or remote-operated vehicle, would be necessary to reach them.

I’m hearing the banging that’s been reported sounded eerily like “GET ME THE FUCK OUT OF HERE!”

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

All of the potential solutions (extra hatch, idiot-proof system) add more complexity and money and more things to fail. 

I am not defending this company, I’m just saying that I can see the logic once they committed themselves to a particular type of bad decision making. 

To quote the CEO loosely, "Safety is waste."

Having the other end bolted from the inside and mounting a lug wrench to the other side of the partition with a life raft of some sort seems like it might not be the most expensive thing they could have done.  But I'm in the camp of "that thing is nowhere near the surface so it doesn't really matter on Ver. 1.0.

1 minute ago, MAUFRAIS said:

Could it have sprung a leak before it got to crush depth which made it impossible to ascend? Then it slowly filled with water as it went deeper and deeper, toward its ultimate spot beside the great Olympic class liner at rest in the frigid abyss?

They lost communication 1 hr 45 mins into the dive...they'd be nearing the depth of the wreckage if not already at the bottom by that point.  Top theories in my head are:

1. Lost communication as has happened in the past, then got trapped/snagged by the wreckage and unable to free the vehicle (which has happened in the past as well, but only for an hour or so).  If they had a power failure, there were multiple ways for it to surface, even if the occupants were incapacitated, which is why I'd lean toward the trapped/snagged theory.
  2. Catastrophic hull failure, and the banging noises were unrelated.
  3. Aliens.

4 minutes ago, MrBig said:

All these billionaire entrepreneur innovator geniuses and nobody thought to bang SOS in Morse Code? 

Maybe one of them is banging out the location of Hillary's lost emails or where they are hiding the Aliens in morse code in their final hours, got nothing to lose at this point so why not.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, OU Sucks said:

They lost communication 1 hr 45 mins into the dive...they'd be nearing the depth of the wreckage if not already at the bottom by that point.  Top theories in my head are:

1. Lost communication as has happened in the past, then got trapped/snagged by the wreckage and unable to free the vehicle (which has happened in the past as well, but only for an hour or so).  If they had a power failure, there were multiple ways for it to surface, even if the occupants were incapacitated, which is why I'd lean toward the trapped/snagged theory.
  2. Catastrophic hull failure, and the banging noises were unrelated.
  3. Aliens.

4. Aggy navy engineering. 

13 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Yeah - those pesky white males over 50 that have decades of experience and have risen to the top of their chosen fields!

You being an Ian Miles Cheong fanboy is the least surprising thing I’ve learned today

Edited by Helobious
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1