Napoleon - Scott, Phoenix (Trailer)

Post Oak

46 minutes ago, mininghorn88 said:

Yep.  I am in.  Let's go!  As odd of a duck that Joaquin is, he always delivers.

it takes an odd duck to disappear into roles.  not sure who else would've been able to do it.  makes you wonder the type of greatness phil hoffman would be delivering if he was still with us.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

13 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

The pompous, snark that comes out in a few of the clips is perfect.  He's gonna kill it

I'm not nearly enough of a scholar on anything Napoleonic but I took the... "The French Revolution and Napoleon" history course at Texas (really enjoyed that professor, I can't remember her name) and seeing Joaquin there I was just transported to her reading some contemporary description of Napoleon as having greasy hair and bad skin and being decidedly un-French. Little greasy fucking dirtball with a Corsican accent.

Surely there's been another film treatment of Napoleon? I wonder how much of his story they'll try and do here.

Off topic - that French Revolution class was great and maybe the single most enjoyable lecture I attended at Texas was one day where the professor had the professor who did the American Revolution course join and it was all about the differences and relationship between the two things.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

I'm not nearly enough of a scholar on anything Napoleonic but I took the... "The French Revolution and Napoleon" history course at Texas (really enjoyed that professor, I can't remember her name) and seeing Joaquin there I was just transported to her reading some contemporary description of Napoleon as having greasy hair and bad skin and being decidedly un-French. Little greasy fucking dirtball with a Corsican accent.

Surely there's been another film treatment of Napoleon? I wonder how much of his story they'll try and do here.

Off topic - that French Revolution class was great and maybe the single most enjoyable lecture I attended at Texas was one day where the professor had the professor who did the American Revolution course join and it was all about the differences and relationship between the two things.

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Celery Man said:

The Napoleonic War was a World War before the term existed so the scope is huge.  It lasted for roughly 20 years.  Then you have one man leading France for 10 years of said war.  Covering all of that well in a single movie is really hard.  That doesn't even consider the cost of depicting multiple important battles.  The ideal way to tell the story of Napoleon is a big budget series that runs for many seasons.  I'll settle for Ridley Scott making a good movie about it for now.

• Hook 'Em 2

17 hours ago, Celery Man said:

In 1970 Rod Steiger played Napoleon in the movie Waterloo. It was done pretty well and from what I have read is reasonably accurate. It's free on YouTube. I enjoy that period of time in world history. The Count of Monte Cristo is set then, so is the show Sharpe's Rifles. It's very interesting stuff.

I think I come by it naturally because around here, western Pennsylvania, there is a ton of history from the French & Indian War, which has been called the true First World War.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

Sharpe's Rifles

if you liked the tv series you'll love the books.  cornwell was thorough in researching the individual battles and timelines.  i wish the series had a larger budget to do the books (and whole war) justice.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/12/2023 at 8:20 AM, Macanudo said:

My only complaint is that in this day and age of Netflix/Prime/Apple, movie biopics just don't do it for me.  This would have been wicked if it had been a mini-series and 3-4 times as long.

You're getting your wish.

So Stanley Kubrick had a massive unmade Napoleon movie that he had spent a helluva lot of time researching and writing.

Steven Spielberg has decided to finish another Kubrick project, and he's bringing Kubrick's Napoleon to HBO as a 7-part mini-series.

https://deadline.com/2023/02/steven-spielberg-stanley-kubricks-napoleon-7-part-series-hbo-1235266372/

One of Stanley Kubrick’s lost projects, a large-scale biopic of Napoleon Bonaparte, has been in the works for HBO for the last seven years.

Steven Spielberg, who has been involved for at least ten years, now says he is “mounting a big production” and the project will become a seven-part series for the premium cable network.

Deadline understands that the project is still in the development stages but it is nearing a series order.

Speaking at the Berlin Film Festival, The Fabelmans director said, “With the co-operation of Christiane Kubrick and Jan Harlan, we’re mounting a large production for HBO on based on Stanley’s original script Napoloeon. We are working on Napoleon as a seven-part limited series,” he said.

Kubrick had originally planned the film after the success of 2001 and did extensive research on the French Revolutionary leader. He had planned to film the movie across Europe, in France, the UK and Romania with around 40,000 soldiers.

At various stages David Hemmings and Jack Nicholson were set to star as the leader, who reigned between 1804 and 1814 with Audrey Hepburn set as his wife Josephine.

However, as a result of the cost of filming the release of Sergei Bondarchuk’s adaptation of War and Peace and the commercial failure of Waterloo, the film was abandoned and much of Kubrick’s work went into his 1975 film Barry Lyndon.

Spielberg has been involved since at least 2013 with the intention of turning it into a miniseries. True Detective’s Cary Joji Fukunaga was set as a director in 2016 with David Auburn, the Verve and Code Entertaiment-repped playwright behind Proof, writing.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Drool 1

On 7/31/2023 at 12:24 PM, atomheartbevo said:

You're getting your wish.

So Stanley Kubrick had a massive unmade Napoleon movie that he had spent a helluva lot of time researching and writing.

Steven Spielberg has decided to finish another Kubrick project, and he's bringing Kubrick's Napoleon to HBO as a 7-part mini-series.

https://deadline.com/2023/02/steven-spielberg-stanley-kubricks-napoleon-7-part-series-hbo-1235266372/

Well shit.  So now we have the movie with Phoenix and then a mini series by Spielberg competing against each other?  Annoying.

• 2 months later...
Ridley is fucking 85 and still doing movies like this.  Unbelievable.

It’s insane. CSB/ I worked with his son Jake on a whiskey commercial and we tried not to bring up his father. After a few days we finally breached the subject and through the chat finally realized how old Ridley was and was shocked he’s still rolling.

On 7/10/2023 at 1:27 PM, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Highly recommend the Age of Napoleon podcast if you want to brush up on your history before the movie.

Thanks for this btw. I’ve been listening and it’s really well done and fascinating. I’m worried though that I want to finish the podcast before the movie but I’m only like halfway theough.

• 4 weeks later...

From the British Broadcast Corp, so you know they're biased against smelly Frenchmen.

With spectacular battle scenes and plenty of pithy vignettes, Ridley Scott's latest – starring Joaquin Phoenix as the French military commander – is 'a proper, old-fashioned historical epic', writes Nicholas Barber.

https://www.bbc.com/culture/article/20231114-napoleon-review-ridley-scotts-biopic-is-an-awe-inspiring-achievement

The French critics do not seem to be fans of this, but then again we probably would not be fans of seeing George Washington or Abe Lincoln played by a French actor while speaking French. 

Don’t really care that it makes anyone in France mad. I have a friend who is from Finland and he still lives there with his wife and child. I remember when I first met him in NYC something about France was mentioned and he says “None of us in Europe like the French either.”

There was a couple of seats left for the 7:30 showing at the Lincoln Square AMC IMAX showing. If I am going to see a full theatre movie it needs to be one like this. I have zero expectations and won’t read what critics think. 

Edited by UpperWestside