The Sound of Freedom

Celery Man

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I went and saw "The Shift" this past weekend with my kids, thinking it was a sci-fi dystopian thriller.

Well, its gateway evangelical entertainment made by the same people who made Sound of Freedom.  It was not wholly bad.  It had good production values and decent action, but as it goes on, it becomes more and more apparent its goal isn't to entertain you, its to give you a sermon and win you over to a cause.  At the end of the movie, the protagonist is on screen and tells you that if you want to do your part to help the world be a better place, you should buy a ticket to this movie for someone else, maybe someone who can't afford it themselves, and pay it forward.  Then a QR code pops up and he tells you its ok to take your phone out now and scan the QR code for more ways to make the world a better place.  I didn't scan it.

Kind of pissed me off.  If I want a sermon, I'll go to church.  Even my kids were like, "Why is he begging people to buy extra tickets to his movie?"

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Goredho said:

I went and saw "The Shift" this past weekend with my kids, thinking it was a sci-fi dystopian thriller.

Well, its gateway evangelical entertainment made by the same people who made Sound of Freedom.  It was not wholly bad.  It had good production values and decent action, but as it goes on, it becomes more and more apparent its goal isn't to entertain you, its to give you a sermon and win you over to a cause.  At the end of the movie, the protagonist is on screen and tells you that if you want to do your part to help the world be a better place, you should buy a ticket to this movie for someone else, maybe someone who can't afford it themselves, and pay it forward.  Then a QR code pops up and he tells you its ok to take your phone out now and scan the QR code for more ways to make the world a better place.  I didn't scan it.

Kind of pissed me off.  If I want a sermon, I'll go to church.  Even my kids were like, "Why is he begging people to buy extra tickets to his movie?"

This is such weird and sick propaganda and grift.  I assume we will just continue to see more of it from the right.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Biff Tannen said:

This is such weird and sick propaganda and grift.  I assume we will just continue to see more of it from the right.

There's an audience for it, and so yeah, we'll see more.  What I don't appreciate is the bait and switch marketing.  Don't sell me a thriller but put a bible in the bag.

Just now, Goredho said:

There’s a major push of alt right propaganda masquerading as feature films.

I posted on another thread about Nefarious, which is just preachy rightwing nonsense marketed as a horror / thriller. It’s a garbage movie regardless. We stumbled onto it by accident, but it turns out my mom’s priest had recommended it as part of his homily. Which is fucking insane. 

If you want to dissolve your last remaining shred of faith in humanity, read the audience reviews. Many viewers felt this story of a demon-possessed death row convict convincing an atheist that abortion is bad was “the most realistic portrayal of evil.” 

Mass media propaganda isn’t really new. It was circulating in novel form going back to the Left Behind series and, before that, The Turner Diaries. The bottom line is that much of the rightwing beliefs are based on completely fabricated fiction. I would even argue that a defining characteristic of rightwing thought is the enthusiastic incorporation of fictional narratives into one’s internal model of reality. Alex Jones is an exemplar of this particular flavor of idiocy in action: the dude constantly cites to sci-fi movies as evidence of the truth behind whatever (exaggerated or fabricated) news story he’s talking about that day. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

There’s a major push of alt right propaganda masquerading as feature films.

I posted on another thread about Nefarious, which is just preachy rightwing nonsense marketed as a horror / thriller. It’s a garbage movie regardless. We stumbled onto it by accident, but it turns out my mom’s priest had recommended it as part of his homily. Which is fucking insane. 

If you want to dissolve your last remaining shred of faith in humanity, read the audience reviews. Many viewers felt this story of a demon-possessed death row convict convincing an atheist that abortion is bad was “the most realistic portrayal of evil.” 

Mass media propaganda isn’t really new. It was circulating in novel form going back to the Left Behind series and, before that, The Turner Diaries. The bottom line is that much of the rightwing beliefs are based on completely fabricated fiction. I would even argue that a defining characteristic of rightwing thought is the enthusiastic incorporation of fictional narratives into one’s internal model of reality. Alex Jones is an exemplar of this particular flavor of idiocy in action: the dude constantly cites to sci-fi movies as evidence of the truth behind whatever (exaggerated or fabricated) news story he’s talking about that day. 

Riefenstahl!

• Hook 'Em 3

30 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Oh yeah, I forgot that in addition to the “pay it forward” (i.e., buy more tickets than you’ll actually use so we can make more money), Angel also crowdfunds some of the production costs, while of course giving the crowd funders a disproportionately small share of the profits compared to their investment.  Not fraudulently, though.  In fairness, they’ve discovered they can openly state all of this and get people to voluntarily agree to being fleeced, so they don’t even have to rob them.

You’d contribute, too, if you were a true patriot fighting against the global cabal of liberal reptilian trans pedophile vampire elites who actually run the world. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Did anyone really think cults would stop their brainwashing at pulpits, leaflets and town squares? They use any means necessary. 

Having to be concerned about this when taking my kids to a movie at a mainstream family theater is wholly new to me.

2 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

2 hours ago, Goredho said:

There's an audience for it, and so yeah, we'll see more.  What I don't appreciate is the bait and switch marketing.  Don't sell me a thriller but put a bible in the bag.

There will be a lot more, especially with AI helping production along, but also because visual FX/CGI are easy to do on a cheap budget (even if they don't always look good) and can be farmed out overseas.

It's just like Lady Ballers - another shit movie, this time mimicking Dodgeball or whatever.

2 hours ago, miguelito said:

Another money making scheme we missed out on.

Angry Season 3 GIF by The Lonely Island

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Did anyone really think cults would stop their brainwashing at pulpits, leaflets and town squares? They use any means necessary. 

the grift never ends 

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

I’m still always astounded by the audacity of the grift, even though I shouldn’t be.  I didn’t think the Jim Bakker apocalypse prepped slop buckets would be topped, but “Donate to Christian charity … by purchasing extra tickets to the movies made by this for profit company’s movie studio” takes the cake.  Fucking shameless.

new idea - survival man straw : you piss into one end of a magic straw device and you drink purified piss out the other end to survive 

Edited by tx 3 putt

smart marketing to play on people's emotions about the benefit of others watching the film. Either by saving their soul or opening their eyes to some make believe evil in the world.

Then grandpa buys tickets for the entire family, or even a CEO of a small company buys tickets for their employees.

EDIT: The guy, who I assume plays the devil in the movie, has recently been making the rounds saying that Hollywood has boycotted him because he's a Christian.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

It’s more diabolical than buying tickets for the whole family or employees.  They ask you to buy tickets to this “pay it forward” campaign where other anonymous people with accounts can then use the tickets.  And if the tickets remain unused by anyone?  Haha sucker, you don’t get your money back.

pretty much every political book written by someone running for office. straight up grift

8 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Oh yeah, I forgot that in addition to the “pay it forward” (i.e., buy more tickets than you’ll actually use so we can make more money), Angel also crowdfunds some of the production costs, while of course giving the crowd funders a disproportionately small share of the profits compared to their investment.  Not fraudulently, though.  In fairness, they’ve discovered they can openly state all of this and get people to voluntarily agree to being fleeced, so they don’t even have to rob them.

Ah yes. The BBQ food truck business model. 

Edited by Anastasis
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Goredho said:

Having to be concerned about this when taking my kids to a movie at a mainstream family theater is wholly new to me.

If you voluntarily chose to see a movie like this, that's on you.  Plot and cast should have warned you away without even knowing the religious angle and who made the film.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Goredho said:

It was not wholly bad.  It had good production values and decent action, but as it goes on, it becomes more and more apparent its goal isn't to entertain you, its to give you a sermon and win you over to a cause

This is not in any way a phenomena unique to the right. This describes all modern media. It’s all propaganda. But certainly support the posters here getting to the bottom of the underlying financing.  

8 hours ago, Anastasis said:

This is not in any way a phenomena unique to the right. This describes all modern media. It’s all propaganda. But certainly support the posters here getting to the bottom of the underlying financing.  

I’m sorry you took your kids to see Brokeback Mountain.

• Haha 4

45 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Clearly, the Fast and the Furious franchise is propaganda pushing to replace the traditional family structure with a fake “family” led by a bald actor, which will tear apart the fabric of our great nation. Duh.

Wait until the Fritos and Farts franchise with an Austin based lawyer and his sidekick lawyer from Dallas who get together every now and then to talk about how much OU sucks.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

TIL that there are actually people that think there are not entire genres of modern media devoted to evangelizing liberal and progressive perspectives. What a weird response.  

What a bloviating way to admit you’re full of shit.

Cite the examples, Annie.

Edited by BrickHorn

Just now, BrickHorn said:

What a bloviating way to admit you’re full of shit.

Cite the examples, Annie.

Why, so we can get into an argument over the particulars of the moralizing and which we align with and find acceptable? Yeah, not really interested in that particular exchange.   

5 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Why, so we can get into an argument over the particulars of the moralizing and which we align with and find acceptable? Yeah, not really interested in that particular exchange.   

You made an absurdly sweeping bothsideser claim. You can’t back it up. Which, of course, is completely unsurprising to any of us. 

Edited by BrickHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, elfenix said:

image.jpeg.f26d8912de251c098c22337b58cae9d7.jpeg

That's a separate parsing of my post than what Brick is asking for, at least as I interpreted his request. It's certainly a more interesting discussion though.  All modern media (with few exceptions granted) is social propaganda.  

Edited by Anastasis

1.  Make provocative and demonstrably untrue statement.

2. Receive pushback.

3. Refuse to provide detailed support for provocative and demonstrably untrue statement, because "uninterested".

4. Deflect any further pushback with bloated verbiage that means nothing to anyone, then sit back and smugly know you owned the libs.

5.  Lather, rinse, repeat.

What a life of the party.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

What a life of the party.

I know, but I have yet to take my kids to a movie after watching the trailer just to run swiftly to surly to complain about my poor life decisions. Amazing that some of yall made it through childhood with the talking buckets of popcorn and hot tamales trying to sell you things. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I know, but I have yet to take my kids to a movie after watching the trailer just to run swiftly to surly to complain about my poor life decisions. Amazing that some of yall made it through childhood with the talking buckets of popcorn and hot tamales trying to sell you things. 

Lol.  You’re pretty effective at being a cunt.  I get it, it’s your fetish.

Anyway, I’ll say it again.  PSA:  the Shift will sell you on it being something like Blade Runner, but it’s a Jesus pamphlet. Go watch if you want the sermon.  Spend your money elsewhere if you don’t.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Anyone else concerned that, one of these times, your eyes are going to get stuck to the roof of your eyelids after reading another Anastasis post?

Just me?

I have him on ignore.  So when you guys quote him I end up reading the post, like it or not. 

And they are so douchey:  "All propaganda is solely for the purpose of convince people of something.  It's a story as old as time." 

He's like an ABD philosophy grad student that'll never see that Phd.

Edited by Bullneck
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1