Speaking of being offended: cmt pulls Jason aldean video

closetohumping

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Written like someone who has never experienced it being hotter than a hoochie coochie.

I spent my summers mowing lawns in the golden triangle…

and that’s not a terrible song, but it’s not one to launch a genre with

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

He didn't, though. Please edit your post.

1 minute ago, Celery Man said:

It was fine, he was engaging and energetic. His music was dumb and unremarkable but for the thing that it was it seemed like a perfectly fine example. Not a hill I give a shit about dying on though.

Were there lots of trash-ily dressed women in the crowd getting all hot and bothered all around Celery Man?  If so....sounds like a good show.

34 minutes ago, troph said:

He says it’s not racism then he says this:

Warrants …

racist wonder showzen GIF

From the post:

Is the song racist?
That’s the wrong question, because it’s oversimplified.

I have no idea if the person who posted this is a man or a woman, so I'll use the "they" pronoun.

The author didn't say it's not racist. One of the first comments on the post after it went viral was from someone asking why they downplayed the racism of the song. They acknowledged that the song was overtly racist, but basically said it was a more nuanced discussion, and that the post was their perspective as someone from a small town. At the time they had only four followers when they posted it and didn't expect anyone to see it. 

12 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

Also was Alan Jackson the father of bro country? Seems like Way Down Yonder on the Chattahoochee started it all

It's got some of the elements, like Friday night, beer, truck, mud, and a girl, but it's fundamentally very wholesome song about remembering youthful innocence. Thematically it's more like a male version of "Strawberry Wine," except in his story nobody gets laid, which is pretty much par for the course.

I submit that the first bro-country song was Trace Adkins "Honkey Tonk Badonkadonk." 

12 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Were there lots of trash-ily dressed women in the crowd getting all hot and bothered all around Celery Man?  If so....sounds like a good show.

fair point

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I submit that the first bro-country song was Trace Adkins "Honkey Tonk Badonkadonk." 

Jesu Christo.  I had tried to forget about that masterpiece of shit.

I don't know if it was the first bro-country song, or if it was a dead-end branch on the tree of evolution of shitty country music?  Maybe it's the "here's a country song trying to use hip urban/rap-like lingo" branch.  It's a short one...but everything on it is awful.

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Thanks, Ichiro.

Wait till he hears "it's time to piss on the fire and call in the dogs," "useless as tits on a boar hog," "colder than a welldigger's ass," and about 1,000 others I got from my oil patch/ranching part of the family.

In fact...I am now inspired to write a country song using nothing but Texas euphemisms.  I'll be back faster than a scalded dog.

Also was Alan Jackson the father of bro country? Seems like Way Down Yonder on the Chattahoochee started it all

This very well could be correct.

(I have to sheepishly admit to liking one “ding dong country” song — “Drunk on a Plane” by Deirks Bentley. Probably has something to do with my wife and her group of friends listening to it a bunch when we started dating 11 years ago.)

30 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

From the post:

I have no idea if the person who posted this is a man or a woman, so I'll use the "they" pronoun.

The author didn't say it's not racist. One of the first comments on the post after it went viral was from someone asking why they downplayed the racism of the song. They acknowledged that the song was overtly racist, but basically said it was a more nuanced discussion, and that the post was their perspective as someone from a small town. At the time they had only four followers when they posted it and didn't expect anyone to see it. 

that's fair enough if you want to talk about why the song is #1 from a sociology, anthropology and historical perspective. As for what the song does? It incites hatred and violence against others, in this case predominately black and brown people at the hands of rural whites. that's racist.

we can talk about why Nazism gained so much traction in Germany from an academic perspective, but to call it dangerous, evil, and anti-everyone that isn't white "without blemish" isn't an oversimplification.

sometimes simple isn't overly simple, and just because a smart guy with an academic style brain on his shoulders wants to wax poetic about reasons doesn't mean the simple conclusion isn't still dead on accurate.

classic academic failure - making the simple complex.

Edited by troph

33 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

I spent my summers mowing lawns in the golden triangle…

and that’s not a terrible song, but it’s not one to launch a genre with

Same...except the summer before my senior year. I spent that summer building the fencing around the construction site for the "new" Rainbow Bridge. Surprised I didn't die from a combination of malaria, sanguination, and being hungover AF most days. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Sawbonz said:

Either I don't understand bro country, or you don't understand bro country. I'm not sure which.

• Hook 'Em 3

11 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

That's right. I met him in person the night of the infamous El Arroyo jello shots/make-a-wish foundation incident. He seemed like a good guy. 

Wait, he was there for that? I don’t remember him being there, but that might have been the Boone’s Farm erasing that memory. 

1 hour ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

It's got some of the elements, like Friday night, beer, truck, mud, and a girl, but it's fundamentally very wholesome song about remembering youthful innocence. Thematically it's more like a male version of "Strawberry Wine," except in his story nobody gets laid, which is pretty much par for the course.

He got a Beej apparently

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=A burger and a grape snow cone

Edited by Kel Varnsen

submit that the first bro-country song was Trace Adkins "Honkey Tonk Badonkadonk." 

Funny thing about that is it was written by Jamey Johnson before his eschewing of Nashville. 

and Alan Jackson’s catalog says that he is in no way bro country.  Nor does his wardrobe. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, G650 said:

Either I don't understand bro country, or you don't understand bro country. I'm not sure which.

I’m not trying to argue that Alan Jackson is bro country. It is very clear that several of the tropes of bro country are bastard offspring of the themes and lyrics of this song.

"Bro-Country" wasn't a term until 2013 and was more about who was singing and listening than anything to do with lyrics.  Muscle-y, tanned, and tattooed "bros" singing about whatever is bro country...to me.

But if you're going to retroactively apply it, you'd need to look at Toby Keith, not Alan Jackson or Brooks & Dunn

3 minutes ago, Tylerocks said:

"Bro-Country" wasn't a term until 2013 and was more about who was singing and listening than anything to do with lyrics.  Muscle-y, tanned, and tattooed "bros" singing about whatever is bro country...to me.

But if you're going to retroactively apply it, you'd need to look at Toby Keith, not Alan Jackson or Brooks & Dunn

The original bro was Kenny Chesney, who you know what, has had a couple of good songs.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Wait till he hears "it's time to piss on the fire and call in the dogs," "useless as tits on a boar hog," "colder than a welldigger's ass," and about 1,000 others I got from my oil patch/ranching part of the family.

In fact...I am now inspired to write a country song using nothing but Texas euphemisms.  I'll be back faster than a scalded dog.

Poser.

9 minutes ago, Tylerocks said:

Yep.  Dudes who were wearing Ed Hardy shit, with tribal armband tattoos, yelling WHOOOOO! WAY too often during every goddamn bro country song.

5 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

The original bro was Kenny Chesney, who you know what, has had a couple of good songs.

Best KC thing I remember was, years ago, the Dixie Chicks would play bar trivia at one of the bars on W. Sixth.  Just the Chicks, hanging out drinking and playing trivia.  Kenny had opened for them on their last tour, and the name of their team was "Kenny Chesney stuffs his pants."  When a reporter told Kenny, he laughed his ass off and said "hell...at least they're lookin'..."  Respect for any dude who can laugh at himself.

1 minute ago, Macanudo said:

Poser.

Your mouth is writing checks your ass can't cash.  I'll beat you like a redheaded stepchild.

See, this redneck songwriting shit is EASY.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Is he the one who is kind of a Galveston version of Jimmy Buffett?

I’m not sure what that means as I think he’s from Tennessee.  Yes wait I would say that’s a good description.  Little guy who always wears sleeveless shirts.   I don’t like how he comes off but he’s had some great songs

Maybe it goes back to Billy Ray Cyrus. Guess I’m wrong but I think it’s when country segued more into the “pop” genre with a steel guitar maybe. It’s become overly exaggerated but let’s not kid ourselves, Alan Jackson is way closer to Jason Aldean than he is to Merle, Waylon and Willie. (Full disclosure — my knowledge of AJ doesn’t get much further than Chattahoochee so I could be way off.)
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Maybe it goes back to Billy Ray Cyrus. Guess I’m wrong but I think it’s when country segued more into the “pop” genre with a steel guitar maybe. It’s become overly exaggerated but let’s not kid ourselves, Alan Jackson is way closer to Jason Aldean than he is to Merle, Waylon and Willie. (Full disclosure — my knowledge of AJ doesn’t get much further than Chattahoochee so I could be way off.)

You’re way off. He does have some fun, simple songs. But he has more like midnight in Montgomery, remember when, and murder on music row. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Sawbonz said:

Nothing screams America Fuck Yea more that profiteering off of a national tragedy. Nothing sells more than fake christianity, nostalgic racism, and fake patriotism. Nashville built a whole music industry on it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Steel guitar has always been a big part of country music

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Naw man, Alan Jackson typified the slick production values and bullshit we associate with 80s/90's country radio "hat acts", but is much closer to George Straight than Jason Aldean.  Not my cup of tea, but it was country music. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Say what. Way off, man you are in a different solar system.

This song is really what kicked off the bro country popularity. Like all bro country that followed it, it's alcohol, chicks, small town nostalgia, back roads, boots, and pickup trucks, with some incredibly shitty rapping mixed in(his rhymes drop at about 1:45). Pure garbage.

According to The Boot, Aldean's publicist teased about the song, suggesting Aldean listened to "a little Snoop Dogg in his time;" regarding the song, Aldean said he did not consider "Dirt Road Anthem" a rap song. He continued by saying, "...if I was to do anything like that, it's not going to be like Kanye West-style or anything."[3]

"Dirt Road Anthem" has received overall mixed reception from music critics. Matt Bjorke of Roughstock gave "Dirt Road Anthem" a 4.5 star rating, saying, "Jason Aldean knows he’s not a rapper and this isn’t a style of music that he’ll continuously do...but as for a new song with a different sound, it certainly works.

I think a distinction needs to be made between people who have a couple of songs that could be considered bro country and people whose entire body of work is bro country.  While I don’t listen to a lot of newer country music, Florida Georgia Line was the first thing I thought of.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Naw man, Alan Jackson typified the slick production values and bullshit we associate with 80s/90's country radio "hat acts", but is much closer to George Straight than Jason Aldean.  Not my cup of tea, but it was country music. 

agreed.

1 minute ago, conVINCEd said:

I think a distinction needs to be made between people who have a couple of songs that could be considered bro country and people whose entire body of work is bro country.  While I don’t listen to a lot of newer country music, Florida Georgia Line was the first thing I thought of.

Cruise is the only one of those that I'll listen til my ears crack and bleed - but almost exclusively only on a surf boat.

did I just read that C

58 minutes ago, C-Man said:

the steel guitar is associated with pop??  steel guitar has been a mainstay of country for a long ass time. Merle, Waylon and Willie weren't really ever mainstream country. AJ was mainstream but that doesn't make him bro country. AJ was a second waive after Clint Black, George Strait, Randy Travis, etc. He was singing along side Tanya Tucker, Travis Tritt, etc. and none of them were as shitty as this current crop of pop-country shit.

1 minute ago, conVINCEd said:

Nelly or no Nelly?

with Nelly is choice, but either way.

• Like 1

Is he the one that's kind of a Galveston version of Jimmy Buffett?

his sirius/xm station is "no shoes" and they celebrate jimmy buffett second only to the margaritaville station. 

Edited by troph
  • Haha 1