2023 Fall Camp Thread of Dominance

USMCHorn

26 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I will say, more than I can remember since ever, guys I trust who now their shit normally are raving about the physical makeovers on the team. I mean, not Tvondre Sweat or anything, but the rest of them. 

Great! If we suck, at least the team can get roles on "Baywatch."

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

I will say, more than I can remember since ever, guys I trust who now their shit normally are raving about the physical makeovers on the team. I mean, not Tvondre Sweat or anything, but the rest of them. 

Damn what did Tvondre do to you! Seriously though this is good to hear.

So taking it as a given that our RBs this year will have drop off, even if the scheme generates similar production, and that the focus will shift towards the passing game by running more 11 personnel instead of 12, which would make sense given how much better our 3rd wr is vs our 2nd TE, then it seems the success of the upcoming amazing season really depends on Ewers executing. All the parts of the car are there, what’s left is whether he can drive it.

Also, I don’t think it gets enough credit, but I think having a steady staff and not over reacting by firing PK or other assistants is really paying off. When the coaching is consistent it creates the ability to really get deeper in what you are doing. I’m hoping that l really pays off in our money downs this year.

Ewers executing and Worthy adjusting and catching everything thrown his direction …

1 minute ago, Ghost of Shag said:

Death, taxes, preseason strength and conditioning kool-aid.

But this time it's not just kool-aid.....we've recruited guys that have different bodies out of high school and from the portal than we have recruited under previous staffs. So once they get the college S&C they're going to look a lot different than teams from 2-3 years ago regardless.

45 minutes ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

So taking it as a given that our RBs this year will have drop off, even if the scheme generates similar production, and that the focus will shift towards the passing game by running more 11 personnel instead of 12, which would make sense given how much better our 3rd wr is vs our 2nd TE, then it seems the success of the upcoming amazing season really depends on Ewers executing. All the parts of the car are there, what’s left is whether he can drive it.

Also, I don’t think it gets enough credit, but I think having a steady staff and not over reacting by firing PK or other assistants is really paying off. When the coaching is consistent it creates the ability to really get deeper in what you are doing. I’m hoping that l really pays off in our money downs this year.

Agree with all this. We should be able to win this conference with good QB play and a competent defense.

Beyond that, I'd really like to see us getting back to out athlete-ing our opponents and taking advantage of the depth this team supposedly has. There were a lot of games in the Mack Brown era where Texas would separate from the competition with big special teams plays or turnovers that were the direct result of just being bigger and faster than our opponents. All of those things make the game easier for everybody. We need to get back to that.

• Hook 'Em 8

1 hour ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

Ewers' performance in the bowl game was promising in regard. He regularly hit chain moving timing passes that he struggled with or passed up earlier in the season. He did miss a couple of deep balls, but he also had two dropped by Worth and another broken up by a ref not calling a defensive hold 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Fud said:

Ewers' performance in the bowl game was promising in regard. He regularly hit chain moving timing passes that he struggled with or passed up earlier in the season. He did miss a couple of deep balls, but he also had two dropped by Worth and another broken up by a ref not calling a defensive hold 

IMO the passing game should open up the run game quite a bit more this year. Teams aren't going to stack the box like they seemed to do last year when we essentially only had Worthy as a deep threat.

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

IMO the passing game should open up the run game quite a bit more this year. Teams aren't going to stack the box like they seemed to do last year when we essentially only had Worthy as a deep threat.

I'm assuming teams are going to sit in two or three deep safety shells and dare us to march down the field through execution, while counting on a negative play derailing the drive, usually via attacking our interior OL through simulated pressures/games (our interior is the weak link). I think Texas has several great reliable chain movers (Sanders, Whittington, Mitchell) if Ewers can find them accurately who can eventually force defenses to change their strategy

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Fud said:

I'm assuming teams are going to sit in two or three deep safety shells and dare us to march down the field through execution, while counting on a negative play derailing the drive, usually via attacking our interior OL through simulated pressures/games (our interior is the weak link). I think Texas has several great reliable chain movers (Sanders, Whittington, Mitchell) if Ewers can find them accurately who can eventually force defenses to change their strategy

That was basically Oklahoma's strategy last year. How did that work out for them?

2 minutes ago, Fud said:

My hope is that Sark took whatever Georgia did against the flyover in the championship game and implements the shit out of it this year. They went through it like wet paper, and it wasn't just because they ran it down their throats. They were bombs away all night. 

3 minutes ago, TotallyLegit said:

That was basically Oklahoma's strategy last year. How did that work out for them?

It's what much of the Big XII does. It's also what much of the NFL does (two deep safety shells, not so much three safety). 

4 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

My hope is that Sark took whatever Georgia did against the flyover in the championship game and implements the shit out of it this year. They went through it like wet paper, and it wasn't just because they ran it down their throats. They were bombs away all night. 

I think TCU's defense was just physically overmatched, and Georgia executed (no pun intended) 

It helps when you have Brock Bowers and Darnell Washington 

1 minute ago, Fud said:

I think TCU's defense was just physically overmatched, and Georgia executed (no pun intended) 

It helps when you have Brock Bowers and Darnell Washington 

They were, but schematically TCU was running around completely lost. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Sure, but that's because the entire defense was in conflict due to Georgia's running/short game (which was also schematically out-flanking TCU), which they weren't going to be able to hold up to. Our interior OL and 2nd TE aren't quite there yet

26 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

17 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Sark’s had years to figure out that defense and he still can’t, so I wouldn’t expect the title game to change anything. It’s not like last year was the first time he realized his offense struggled against it. 

49 minutes ago, Fud said:

Had Worthy caught the balls he dropped, Ewers would have thrown for about 450 yards with 3 TDs and 0 INTs. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

16 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Sark’s had years to figure out that defense and he still can’t, so I wouldn’t expect the title game to change anything. It’s not like last year was the first time he realized his offense struggled against it. 

I think Sark hit 2 out of 3 vs this defense.  Sark made some nice adjustments vs ISU and KSU (unbalanced line opened up the running game). TCU game was just a mess. Ewers was terrible. Worthy and Sanders arguably played their worst games. OL was dominated. That said I dont think Sark had a great game plan. Not to bring up old wounds, but Texas probably should have relied a little more on the Greg Davis game plan. Screen game hurt TCU (JWHitt in particular). The WRs got owned by the CBs in that game. (Mitchell won a one on one for a TD). Georgia found room between the LBs and Safeties. TCU made some coverage busts vs Georgia, but I dont think attacking their 2 NFL CBs was the right move for Texas. Sanders vs the LBs probably should have been a bigger emphasis, though he did have several drops. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Sark’s had years to figure out how to win 10 games that defense and he still can’t, so I wouldn’t expect the title game to change anything. It’s not like last year was the first time he realized his offense struggled against it. 

Sadly FIFY.

But I'm sure this is the year it all changes!

Not completely terribly to start the game. Texas didn’t really get rolling until the second quarter.

Their defense was bound to break given what they were working with on offense. And of course their defensive personnel weren’t any good. I will always remember that day but it’s a mistake to read anything more into it than it was - a beat down of a brutally overmatched opponent.

Teams with actual offenses and defensive talent have employed that strategy against Sark’s Texas teams and had success. It’s probably how would attack Texas as a DC this year. The stud RB’s are gone and the OL was not a particularly good run blocking unit. For all the pass catching talent on the roster Ewers hasn’t shown consistency. Play the run with 5-6 in the box, keep the passing game in front of you and make Texas do something it hasn’t been able to do with Sark - execute consistently. Bijan and RoJo aren’t walking through that door to hero ball it.

Of course if Ewers takes that step or the OL becomes a true force then that becomes problematic for defenses. You start running out of options at that point.
  • Hook 'Em 1