2023 Fall Camp Thread of Dominance

USMCHorn

3 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

One way to attack it may be with our elite WR/TE corps, and see just how good the other team’s run-stuffing 4th and 5th DB’s are in coverage. 

The TE/H is critical here, and it looks like we've got at least one really good one. The entire receiver corps looks dangerous, and if they (and the QB) can read the opposing D accurately we should score plenty.  

• Hook 'Em 2

You can shred these defenses if you’re efficient, and I think Texas is potentially very efficient with three strong chain moving options in Sanders, Mitchell, and Whitt, along with potential game breakers in Worthy and Neyor. The higher efficiency should give more opportunities for explosive passes to those

Quinn showed considerable process in the bowl game at spraying the ball around in the short and intermediate passing game

My top concern is cashing in the redzone. What’s our money play there? 

• Hook 'Em 8

18 minutes ago, Fud said:

You can shred these defenses if you’re efficient, and I think Texas is potentially very efficient with three strong chain moving options in Sanders, Mitchell, and Whitt, along with potential game breakers in Worthy and Neyor. The higher efficiency should give more opportunities for explosive passes to those

Quinn showed considerable process in the bowl game at spraying the ball around in the short and intermediate passing game

Finally being able to spread teams out with 4 legit targets and letting our o-line go to work.

8 hours ago, LateAughtsHorn said:

No excuses. Sark has checked all the boxes off the field, but if we don't win the conference this year, doubts about Sark having the ability to be the guy on gameday are going to skyrocket. 

This is basically how I see it, except that CFB is strange and unpredictable. Our 2008 team was the best team in the country, but one fluke road game kept us from winning it all. Shit happens sometimes.

If we don't at least win the conference this year, then I'll be pissed, but I'll want to know what happened. Was it scheme or play calling?Or did we have bad luck with injuries and get jobbed by refs? The former would be on Sark, but the latter, not necessarily so.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, Fud said:

Mitchell appears to be very good at making contested catches.  Back shoulder fade.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Fud said:

Mitchell’s one of the best red zone threats in the country, and we should be able to get a lot of push in the run game behind Campbell and Jones, assuming Campbell wins the RG spot. 

• Hook 'Em 3

7 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Finally being able to spread teams out with 4 legit targets and letting our o-line go to work.

The effectiveness of the interior OL in the running game is still a question to me, which is why I think spreading out to short/intermediate pass vs those defenses is what we major in. If we try to run down their throats, odds are drives will become tougher due to too many negative plays

1 minute ago, Fud said:

The effectiveness of the interior OL in the running game is still a question to me, which is why I think spreading out to short/intermediate pass vs those defenses is what we major in. If we try to run down their throats, odds are drives will become tougher due to too many negative plays

In that case you're relying on a very high completion percentage, because an incompletion or a sack is usually worse than a bad run. 

The run game has to perform to compete for championships. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Slacks said:

In that case you're relying on a very high completion percentage, because an incompletion or a sack is usually worse than a bad run. 

The run game has to perform to compete for championships. 

EPA on early down passes to Sanders/Mitchell/Sanders/Whitt should be considerably higher for us than running 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Vito Andolini said:

Some notes from IT trickling in from the scrimmage include Worthy in a green jersey, but no biggie, Alfred Collins got some work at DT AND edge, Arch Manning ran for a 50 yard TD (presumably legit not touched, or they would have blew the whistle) and Maalik Murphy was picked off by Manny Muhammad.

Arch with the Cooper twitchy-ness/speed with the Manning arm/brain. Gruntled. Hopefully we have Andrew Luck 2.0 on our hands. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

Mitchell’s one of the best red zone threats in the country, and we should be able to get a lot of push in the run game behind Campbell and Jones, assuming Campbell wins the RG spot. 

Very good point, having your best two run blockers next to each other is often enough. That’s why I think Campbell will win the job. Also Sanders should be a red zone weapon.

9 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

It’ll go 1 of 2 ways: 

1) We pull Saban’s pants down and it’s the emperor has no clothes game.

or 

2) Bama breaks our hearts on some last minute drive while the refs eat their flags.

Hoping for the first scenario. 

I think you’re forgetting option 3

Few notes from 247

Spoiler

— We didn’t get full story, but Xavier Worthy didn’t participate today. He was in a green non-contact jersey. For what it’s worth, there has been a stomach bug going around the locker room.

— Quinn Ewers had great day aside from an interception he threw to Jerrin Thompson. Ewers threw touchdowns to Johntay Cook and Adonai Mitchell and also ran one in himself. Ewers seemed the most confident throwing the ball to Mitchell.

— When asked who was the best defender on the dat, the answer was Alfred Collins. He started with Byron Murphy. T’Vondre Sweat would sub in to replace Ethan Burke to match personnel.

— DJ Campbell was the No. 1 right guard on the first-team offense’s opening series. A source said he had the better day between he and Cole Hutson and they think he’s going to win the job, in their opinion. The rest of the starting offensive line didn’t change (Kelvin Banks Jr., Hayden Conner, Jake Majors and Christian Jones).

— Liona Lefau forced a fumble against Ja’Tavion Sanders that got a big reaction. It was one of the more impressive days from a freshman per source.

— We asked for best day among the running backs. “[Jonathon] Brooks had the best overall day but [CJ] Baxter had his moments, including an explosive play.”

— The defense got much more pressure on the quarterback than one source was expecting.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

I got invited to a "BBQ" in Wisconsin one time. 
The "BBQ" turned out to be ground beef Sloppy Joe's made with BBQ sauce and served out of a crock-pot.  At least there was plenty of cold beer being that it was Wisconsin and all, so that was nice.
If I get invited to a BBQ there better be some gotdam BBQ there.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Whittington left with a minor arm injury per Gerry.

9 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Also said that Cojoe went down with an ankle injury but returned 

They're big humans running into each other at speed--classic application of the impulse-momentum formula. You can't bubble-wrap 'em; some of the above has to be expected. All we can hope for is that it's kept to a minimum and that truly key personnel are spared. 

Just now, ousux said:
11 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:
I got invited to a "BBQ" in Wisconsin one time. 
The "BBQ" turned out to be ground beef Sloppy Joe's made with BBQ sauce and served out of a crock-pot.  At least there was plenty of cold beer being that it was Wisconsin and all, so that was nice.

If I get invited to a BBQ there better be some gotdam BBQ there.

Had Rees Bros today

IMG_2918.thumb.jpeg.74d38be60ab890c352eb7004ca3e01e5.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Drool 2

2 hours ago, Vito Andolini said:

Some notes from IT trickling in from the scrimmage include Worthy in a green jersey, but no biggie, Alfred Collins got some work at DT AND edge, Arch Manning ran for a 50 yard TD (presumably legit not touched, or they would have blew the whistle) and Maalik Murphy was picked off by Manny Muhammad.

Edited to add Ant Hill was apparently a bad ass, all over the field, Billy Walton had at least two tackles for loss and Collins was very good today, which has been a running theme all camp

Thanks. I so want to believe in Collins. Best part of this was what you didn’t say  (still healthy)

• Hook 'Em 2