2023 Fall Camp Thread of Dominance

USMCHorn

3 minutes ago, UnhappilyMarried said:

Judging by the embedded date, you're pointing at UDub's performance nadir, worse than Colorado, right? I was referring to money and resources pre-NIL. Sark took them from losing all their games to only losing about half, and didn't progress much beyond that. He was fired at SC partly for being an embarrassing drunk, but partly for continuing to be no more than an average coach. I think he was doing the same thing at SC that he's done here - being both HC and OC and calling plays himself. Didn't work then, and hasn't worked here, so far. Maybe we now have enough talent on both sides of the ball, along with a winning staff. 

Praise Jebus, we're only a few weeks away from postpreoffseason.

• Hook 'Em 2

54 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

A guy that played for years in the NFL was at practice yesterday. His takeaway was that if this team isn’t a playoff contender and conference winner, it took effort to fuck it up on gameday. 

Wonder if that’s the guy that Gerry kept mentioning….said he has play “A LOT of football” or something of that nature. 

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

A guy that played for years in the NFL was at practice yesterday. His takeaway was that if this team isn’t a playoff contender and conference winner, it took effort to fuck it up on gameday. 

I will never fall for the banana in the tailpipe ever again.  Fair Park Ewers.  Oklahoma State Ewers.

Here's a litmus test: every ball thrown against Rice is perfectly flighted with the right touch, arc and velocity.

and Zero drops.

Zero.

Point.

Zero.

52-0, 500 yards in the first half, 158 QB rating, and negative yards for Rice.  Sacks and turnovers from the defense would be great.  Just no yards at all.  Negative yards.

Show me fucking perfection heading to bammer.

If we are 6-0 at 6pm on October 7th, then we can talk playoffs.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

That was definitely a terrible game.  So was Oklahoma State.  Sark doesn’t adjust pretty much ever and just goes down with the ship when something isn’t working.  But the initial problem where the passing game isn’t working should happen less frequently than it did last year.

how about not at all?

fair park ewers

zero drops

every play

every game

39 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

I will never fall for the banana in the tailpipe ever again.  Fair Park Ewers.  Oklahoma State Ewers.

Here's a litmus test: every ball thrown against Rice is perfectly flighted with the right touch, arc and velocity.

and Zero drops.

Zero.

Point.

Zero.

52-0, 500 yards in the first half, 158 QB rating, and negative yards for Rice.  Sacks and turnovers from the defense would be great.  Just no yards at all.  Negative yards.

Show me fucking perfection heading to bammer.

If we are 6-0 at 6pm on October 7th, then we can talk playoffs.

Remember when UGA almost lost to Mizzou last year? Even great teams have awful games where they just show up sluggish.

3 hours ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

image.thumb.png.2bab34247e3f34153a29999a591022cb.png

Nervous Ted Striker GIF by filmeditor

Not to beat a dead horse, but that assessment from August of 2022 was before we lost Neyor and Angilau, a/k/a our deep threat and experienced IOL. 

Remind me where the offense was weakest last year and ask yourself if 9-3 was really that far off at the time. That’s not even getting into the impact Ewers’ injury had on his season. 

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Nope. This team’s floor is too high for there to be any heat. I’ve said this consistently on here for years - Sarkisian is getting a fourth year. There is too much turnover fatigue. They love the roster work that has happened now and everybody really likes the guy. The staff is solid and the lockerroom isn’t full of a bunch of shitheads.

Sarkisian has done everything right but win big so far and it’s only been two years. Anyone saying Sarkisian could be on the hot seat is an outsider, or knows something we don’t about off the field issues, or they can see the future and know that somehow this team staggers to 7-5 or something. 

Sark is safe... got Arch Manning for 2024

• Hook 'Em 2

29 minutes ago, Park Gothic said:

Not to beat a dead horse, but that assessment from August of 2022 was before we lost Neyor and Angilau, a/k/a our deep threat and experienced IOL. 

Remind me where the offense was weakest last year and ask yourself if 9-3 was really that far off at the time. That’s not even getting into the impact Ewers’ injury had on his season. 

I think the info from last year was good, especially considering that things were extremely murky after 5-7. I just remember the old post and think the phrasing is funny.

I'm hoping that the analogy holds. 8-4 : '22 floor :: conference champs : '23 floor

I buy the kool aid on the roster for the most part. I think in hindsight the 10-win quality team assessment was right last year (Bama and TCU were straight up L’s to good teams; Tech and OSU not so much), there was just a tax to be paid for having Sark out there on game day.

It’s hard to shake the feeling that this year’s 10-11 win quality team doesn’t pay a similar Sark tax and end up at 8-9 wins. I think that’s the crux of it for pretty much anyone who’s bearish on the expectations.
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Drool 1

4 hours ago, closetojumping said:

was this dumb son of a bitch born yesterday?  did he just come out of a 13-year coma?  I don't give a shit about the roster, the Longhorns are more than capable of going 7-6.  every year it's like people have amnesia or are just willfully ignorant.

• Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

I buy the kool aid on the roster for the most part. I think in hindsight the 10-win quality team assessment was right last year (Bama and TCU were straight up L’s to good teams; Tech and OSU not so much), there was just a tax to be paid for having Sark out there on game day.

It’s hard to shake the feeling that this year’s 10-11 win quality team doesn’t pay a similar Sark tax and end up at 8-9 wins. I think that’s the crux of it for pretty much anyone who’s bearish on the expectations.

I wouldn’t classify bama as a straight up L when it felt like 2 v 1 for most of the biggest moments in the game e.g. no safety call. 

• Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, Tex Long said:

Nobody had NIL before NIL. If SC isn't a top dog, nobody is. UDub isn't a top dog, but they aren't the Little Sisters of the Poor, wither. Sark was a drunk back then, and is not a drunk now (allegedly). Time to shine. Or not.

You didn't get the point. When he was at USC there was no such thing as NIL and portal so he couldn't use them to his advantage. Now that he's at an even bigger money school he has those advantages over 99 percent of programs. 

Once NIL and portal started the big name programs got a big advantage and everyone else took a hit. Whatever happened before that is insignificant now. It's a whole new world with new rules. 

• Hook 'Em 2

TIL Brenan Thompson transferred to OU a few months ago. Would have liked to see what a WR with track and field speed could have developed into after a few years in the program, but he would have had to wait his turn given our depth so I understand his decision to transfer to a poverty program like OU where he can play every down right away.

5 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

That’s my optimistic spin on it.  Sark is kind of shockingly up shit creek without a paddle when things don’t go according to plan, but things really should go according to plan a lot more often.  And when things go according to plan, it’s good.  Not like the Greg Davis version of going according to plan where he actually intends to throw 4 yard curls and score in the 20s.

This. Sark's offense appears to be catered towards maximizing top-end talent. The problem is, this is predicated on the presence of elite talent to begin with. He's not a chicken salad out of chickenshit kind of guy. Good news is, he appears to be fixing the talent problem.

I'm not completely sold on Sark as the guy to finally get things done in the W-L column; but I'm so tired of the endless cycle of coaching changes, combined with 13 years of shit on-field production causing me to reassess priorities in my life, that I'm good with him getting several more years at this point.

There's no sure thing hire out there, and at the very least, I feel like Sark will leave the roster in better condition than he found it. Whether he's leaving 10-15 years from now with a statue, or a few years from now for too many 5 loss seasons. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, gmr548 said:

If last year's team was a "10-win quality team" then this one is at least 12.

7 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

TIL Brenan Thompson transferred to OU a few months ago. Would have liked to see what a WR with track and field speed could have developed into after a few years in the program, but he would have had to wait his turn given our depth so I understand his decision to transfer to a poverty program like OU where he can play every down right away.

"a poverty program like OU" Ain't it wonderful to say that? Goddam!

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

7 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

How would you see that when he skipped spring ball for track? Can't develop if you aren't practicing football. That loss is a good loss....he's a track guy that plays football.

• Hook 'Em 4

12 hours ago, immamac said:

The problem last year was Sark. He ran the ball 13times against TCU. 

eh it was like 17, but probably the single worst game of Bijan's career. 12 carries for 29 yards + 0 TD and 0 catches.

image.png.71b7bfc2bc4f79ed990517652a753489.png

by EPA they were literally in the 1st percentile in rushing in that game. somehow TCU was even worse in the 0th percentile. 44 carries for 159 yards and if you take out the long Miller run they averaged under 2.0 YPC.

using Bill C's adv box score (below) 54% of Texas rushes went for 0 or fewer yards

god, what a shitshow that game was

Spoiler

Fhi6EZ1WIAE7jTG?format=jpg&name=4096x409

image.png.3d76215be00dce335a6447f4341566d4.png

image.png.011e6c0eb3df63f34ee1370f0c2457f5.png

there is opportunities for coaching to be better in games like that. has potential to do better on that front.

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, NoName said:

eh it was like 17, but probably the single worst game of Bijan's career. 12 carries for 29 yards + 0 TD and 0 catches.

by EPA they were literally in the 1st percentile in rushing in that game. somehow TCU was even worse in the 0th percentile. 44 carries for 159 yards and if you take out the long Miller run they averaged under 2.0 YPC.

using Bill C's adv box score (below) 54% of Texas rushes went for 0 or fewer yards

Reveal hidden contents

Fhi6EZ1WIAE7jTG?format=jpg&name=4096x409

there is opportunities for coaching to be better in games like that. has potential to do better on that front.

Against TCU our OL got the shit whipped out of them.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

That was definitely a terrible game.  So was Oklahoma State.  Sark doesn’t adjust pretty much ever and just goes down with the ship when something isn’t working.  But the initial problem where the passing game isn’t working should happen less frequently than it did last year.

Interesting take. He completely abandoned the passing game on multiple occasions last year (Kansas/Baylor). He abandoned the run vs TCU and eventually went spread in the 4Q of TCU to move the ball. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

It's crazy to believe that Andre Cojoe was 16 when he enrolled at Texas this spring....he's 17 years old at 6'6 355 

He was the youngest player in our class by like six months. Also he has really long arms, iirc 

Spoiler

Fhi6EZ1WIAE7jTG?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

Man I’m obviously as down on Sark as anyone but the “he should have run more against TCU” trope is annoying. TCU very obviously sold out to stifle the Texas run game, betting Texas couldn’t consistently execute in the passing game to make them pay for it. They were right. Texas could have run the ball 50 times and still had nothing to show for it.

I’m sure you can take issues with play calling within the pivot to emphasizing the pass - I’d have to go back and watch for that level of detail and I’m not about to - but run first was not going to work that night.
  • Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, nunna yo bizness said:

I don't know how good we'll be this year, but the incessant declarations that Sark is incapable of producing a playoff team because he hasn't yet is a lazy basis.  Remember when Clemsoning under Swinney was a thing?  Right up until it wasn't anymore.

If Ed O can do it, Sark can too.

• Hook 'Em 3

30 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Man I’m obviously as down on Sark as anyone but the “he should have run more against TCU” trope is annoying. TCU very obviously sold out to stifle the Texas run game, betting Texas couldn’t consistently execute in the passing game to make them pay for it. They were right. Texas could have run the ball 50 times and still had nothing to show for it.

I’m sure you can take issues with play calling within the pivot to emphasizing the pass - I’d have to go back and watch for that level of detail and I’m not about to - but run first was not going to work that night.

That has been the right call vs Texas, since Sark showed up. Lot of that has to do with the QBs being unable to put the offense on their back. Stop the run and watch Texas flounder around. TCU has 2 NFL CBs. They focused on the run and did not give much help outside in the passing game. Sark should have run more screen game and looked to feature Sanders more. Whit probably had 40-50 yards on a couple screen passes (Texas had 200 total yards of total offense). Worthy vs Tomlinson was not an advantage for Texas. Sanders vs the LBs was an advantage for Texas. Just a terrible game. OL was bad. Ewers was bad. I dont think there was a receiver that didnt drop a pass. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, lazygringo said:

Is it just me or have we not really been hearing much about Derek Williams or Tausili Akana in fall camp so far?

Akana likely redshirts due to needing to get stronger/bigger.

Derek Williams has to learn the playbook. Thompson/Catalon as long as he's healthy seem to have locked the top two spots down. Derek Williams appears to be the truth from an athletic standpoint.