Week 2, 2023: Texas @ Alabama

Wulaw Horn

51 minutes ago, NoName said:

Nash Talks Texas video: Quinn was better than you think

spoilering the video

Hide contents

I'm not going to insult my intelligence by watching that whole thing. What kind of idiot thinks that other QB's don't have dropped balls, WR's run wrong routes, teammate knock the ball out, OL miss blocks??? If you ADJUST every QB then Quinn will fall right where he is, 59th in the country in QBR. One can argue the QBR is flawed, but then it's flawed for all.

The only thing I will give the kool-aid drinkers is the PI's. It's obvious a Texas WR will have to get gang raped on the field for a PI to be called. But that still doesn't change it to a completion. Quinn was #50 in QBR last season, and that's what he is until he starts improving that number.

Texas will not win this game.  Unfortunately the game will be stopped midway through the 3rd quarter when Texas scores a touchdown to go up 42-3 causing Saban to die from a heart attack on the sideline.  SEC officials will call the game at that point only to retroactively give Bama the win because of their pain and suffering from the loss of their god.

• Fuck You 1

9 minutes ago, Hard Times said:

I'm not going to insult my intelligence by watching that whole thing. What kind of idiot thinks that other QB's don't have dropped balls, WR's run wrong routes, teammate knock the ball out, OL miss blocks??? If you ADJUST every QB then Quinn will fall right where he is, 59th in the country in QBR. One can argue the QBR is flawed, but then it's flawed for all.

The only thing I will give the kool-aid drinkers is the PI's. It's obvious a Texas WR will have to get gang raped on the field for a PI to be called. But that still doesn't change it to a completion. Quinn was #50 in QBR last season, and that's what he is until he starts improving that number.

The level of koolaid one needs to drink in order to call QE's performance against Rice 'excellent' requires Narcan.

• Haha 3

55 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

A lot of discussion about the OL/DL in this Alabama game - here is how the units graded out in Week1:

OL:

image.png.7341855b042e1624b7e64afd87fdfa64.png

DL:

image.png.0fbb72ee8af9c8aecd4c7f9622c14e85.png

Those grades for most of Bama's interior DL (Oatis, Smith, Payne) are interesting, and maybe not a good interesting if you are a Bama fan. 

Edited by Hookem2147

There's a lot to analyze with this game.  Lotta ins, lotta outs, lotta what-have-yous, etc.

But, I think it might actually be this simple: 1.5 Alabama turnovers.

Over, Texas wins.  Under, Bama wins.

Edited by TexArcher
And I do think we're gonna get a couple of picks...
  • Hook 'Em 4

4 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

IT team notes

Reveal hidden contents

Inside Texas was able to get a couple of sources on the phone before the massive game against Alabama this Saturday night. The goal was to not only gain the latest info but to also objectively gauge team readiness ahead of the tall order of beating Nick Saban and Alabama on the road.

How was the week of practice, noticeably intense and focused?

Like pretty much everything he says in press conferences Steve Sarkisian‘s words about the week of prep rang true with sources. Players and coaches feel prepared for every variable they can think of (Bama resorting to a different quarterback?). They feel prepared to attack on offense and defend Alabama’s relatively straight forward offense.

In short, there’s a lot of confidence in the game plans. “Lots more in the bag on both sides of the ball.”  

Did the week of prep go as well as last year when the team came out breathing fire?

Preparedness and confidence levels are similar to last year as the team exits the practice portion of the week and gets ready to travel. The team respects Alabama but doesn’t fear Alabama.

Will we see tempo on offense?

Don’t be surprised by some tempo. Quinn Ewers responds well to it and it’s a good way to keep Bama’s big D-line on the field.

As a source put it, Sark has a lot of options going into this game. It’ll be interesting to see which direction he goes. “Last week was a warmup as far as play calling for Sark. Now he has a game under his belt.” 

A huge question is, who are the guards going to be?

IT expects the same starters as last week — Hayden Conner and DJ Campbell — but we’ll also see Cole Hutson and Neto Umeozulu. Campbell and Hutson split reps at right guard most of the week. Sark has said both will play. Umeozulu is learning, growing, and pushing Conner at left guard but we’re not sure he’s going to overtake him for this game.

As a source acknowledged, this game could come down to Texas interior offensive line play or Sark’s ability to scheme around them. It would be a stretch to say this group made some large leap in just a week.

iOL remains a clear point of concern.

Will we see more Isaiah Neyor this week?

A source reminded how Sark likes to play a shorter bench at receiver, especially with timing and cohesion an issue between Ewers and the receivers. “Neyor is definitely ready to play, though.” 

Jalen Catalon had a quiet game against Rice.

Every safety had a quiet game. Rice couldn’t get to the second level in the run game or throw down the field. A lot of safeties played so there weren’t a ton of snaps to go around.

As the source continued to talk it sounds like Catalon will have the chance for a big game this week.

How has Quinn Ewers looked this week?

“Focused, doesn’t let anything get in his head. He wants to relax and have fun. It was a good week for him.”

It sounds like CJ Baxter will play this week.

“He will for sure.” This could be big for blitz pickup and helping to bolster the interior line play. 

How concerned are they about Jalen Milroe running the ball?

They spent a lot of time working on ways to corral a running quarterback. Disciplined rush lanes are important as are crashing help defenders.

This is another one where the more sources talked the better IT feels about their ability to disrupt the Bama run game.

Adonai Mitchell had issues blocking last week?

Sources say that was uncharacteristic. He’s been a good, willing blocker in practice.  

How much will the rotation be tightened up? We saw a lot of players last week.

There will definitely be a shorter rotation this week. Last week was a test for the younger guys. The coaches wanted as much tape on them as possible. ‘Ones’ that are playing well this week will stay in at certain positions. It’ll be a much more strict rotation this week.

Parting shots:

There’s confidence that if the O-line plays even Texas will come out on top. “The best team will win and they (Texas) have a good game plan to be the best team. Scheme and preparation are there. Now it comes down to execution.”

This reminded me of the Livestream this AM.  Some idiot on3 poster said he understood GH and JW couldn't reveal their sources but asked if they could list the person's position or title.  They didn't have to name them.

Fucktard.

55 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

There's a lot to analyze with this game.  Lotta ins, lotta outs, lotta what-have-yous, etc.

But, I think it might actually be this simple: 1.5 Alabama turnovers.

Over, Texas wins.  Under, Bama wins.

This may just be the case. On interesting thing to note is for all of the discussion of Ewers's faults and his reputation as a gunslinger-type, he does actually take pretty good care of the ball. Sub-2% career INT rate and half of those were in one game (OSU). He has just 2 turnovers in his last 6 games, 1 INT against TCU and that stupid fumble vs Baylor. I don't recall a bad decision against Rice (some bad throws, yes).

Of course I probably just guaranteed a 3 INT game by typing this.

8 minutes ago, BachelorTrek said:

Imagine living in that Shithole and then blowing $200 or more on a TEXAS flag just to orient it KIND OF "upside-down" on the roof of said Shithole.  Lulz.

(Dude standing in the street behind that house)

"Hey, a Texas flag, in Tuscaloosa. Must be big fans."

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, BachelorTrek said:

Imagine living in that Shithole and then blowing $200 or more on a TEXAS flag just to orient it KIND OF "upside-down" on the roof of said Shithole.  Lulz.

Even idiot fan bases panic when they realize they are about to actually have competition year in and year out.  Same thing aggy, tech, ou, etc. do to us.  Bama fans are freaking out right now about the prospect of if not playing us every year then at least having to best us for a shot at a conference title.  

29 minutes ago, ermahgerdhorn said:

Even idiot fan bases panic when they realize they are about to actually have competition year in and year out.  Same thing aggy, tech, ou, etc. do to us.  Bama fans are freaking out right now about the prospect of if not playing us every year then at least having to best us for a shot at a conference title.  

sorry man, but we're only a scary giant in our own minds. Bama isn't freaking out about anything other than Saban retiring.

• Hook 'Em 3

33 minutes ago, ermahgerdhorn said:

Futurama Squinting GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

SP+ projection: Bama by 12.8 | FPI projection: Bama by 13.8

This is about how I’ve seen the final spread working out since watching us play Rice

4 hours ago, Pancho said:

But after watching Taker I am ready to run all the way to Tuscaloosa and cover kickoffs. Horns by 100!