2023 Texas @ Alabama - 6pm on ESPN

Pancho

And it was just a small pep squad band. When we played in Columbus in 2005 we took a large band (though not the entire LHB). Wish we had taken more to Tuscaloser

The ESPN crew stated that they were “mic’d up” from the upper deck. They sounded better on TV than Bama’s band. Of course the team gave us more reasons to hear them, but it is what it is! A band in the upper regions sounding better on TV tells you something.

Hook’em!!!
  • Hook 'Em 3

JT Sanders’ problem is blocking in space. You can tell that he was never asked to do that in HS.
When he’s lined up tight, by a tackle, he blocks just fine, with his strength and big frame. While he’s in the open field, say trying to block a CB/DB, I truly think it’s a feet/balance issue. Just my opinion of watching him.

Hook’em!!!

He also got obliterated by Dallas Turner lined up by tackle on 4th and short.

10 hours ago, msucolt45 said:

The ESPN crew stated that they were “mic’d up” from the upper deck. They sounded better on TV than Bama’s band. Of course the team gave us more reasons to hear them, but it is what it is! A band in the upper regions sounding better on TV tells you something.

Hook’em!!!

Also doesn't hurt that they only send upperclassmen and section leaders to the OOC away games. When it's a smaller (and better on average) ensemble, it's easier to mic and they usually sound a bit cleaner.

Also, it doesn't hurt that LHB fuckin rules 🤘

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, TexasMan said:

Does anyone know if there is a full game upload on YouTube, but of the Pat McAfee feed? I wasn't going to watch it live but I'm curious to re-watch it that way. 

The McAfee broadcast is getting a replay on ESPNU either today or tomorrow.  Can't recall which - I just scheduled it to record.

On 9/12/2023 at 8:40 AM, Zeus said:

Nah man if Sanders didn't whiff on that block he's dancing in the endzone. You have to rely on guys making blocks you can't hesitate and wait around to see if a guy is going to miss a block then change your running lane accordingly. The running lane is built into the play assuming people make their blocks - which they all did - except poor Sanders. Not a great blocker yet but he can tighten that up and be a 2nd or 3rd rounder maybe next year.

Rewatching the game again and one of my thoughts is that (overall) the WR blocking (and play design on swing passes and “screens” to the flat for WRs) is light years better from what I remember from late Mack on through Strong and the Herman.

yes, Mitchel struggles and Sanders has missed a few in space, but overall there seems to be (I’m not literally going through and writing down each play for deep analysis) much more consistent success and much much more EFFORT from blockers on the outside than I’m used to seeing. (I’ll caveat that in 2018 we had some really willing blockers at WR).

This is a continuation from last season, IIRC.

Nice to see.

16 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

Rewatching the game again and one of my thoughts is that (overall) the WR blocking (and play design on swing passes and “screens” to the flat for WRs) is light years better from what I remember from late Mack on through Strong and the Herman.

yes, Mitchel struggles and Sanders has missed a few in space, but overall there seems to be (I’m not literally going through and writing down each play for deep analysis) much more consistent success and much much more EFFORT from blockers on the outside than I’m used to seeing. (I’ll caveat that in 2018 we had some really willing blockers at WR).

This is a continuation from last season, IIRC.

Nice to see.

Fundamentals were hardly fundamental under Mack and Strong was completely out over his skis in Austin from Day 1.

Sanders is more of a hybrid WR/TE (heavy on the WR) than true TE. I don't expect him to be a plus blocker most of the time -- and we shouldn't care if he's going to be ripping off 50+ yard gainers against defenses like Bama's. I watched the main replay last night and I was glad he didn't called for a hold on the third-down run in the first sequence of plays when we got the ball back with 7 mins left in the fourth. I know they didn't call holding all night but that looked like one that could've been called by a tighter group of officials. We got the first and Saban burned all his TO's and then we basically sealed with Brooks' third-and-7 run up the middle for another first down.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, sith_horn said:

I was pleased the Longhorn band came through loud and clear during the game.

That's something I've always enjoyed about ESPN's presentation of college football.  They always do a very good job of micing up the bands.  And since that is a large part of what makes the college atmosphere different from the NFL, I've always appreciated that.

By comparison, Fox seems to actively avoid mixing the bands into the sound on its broadcasts.  I don't know if Colorado and Nebraska have gotten rid of their bands, but you might be forgiven for thinking so based on the Fox broadcast.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Fundamentals were hardly fundamental under Mack and Strong was completely out over his skis in Austin from Day 1.

Sanders is more of a hybrid WR/TE (heavy on the WR) than true TE. I don't expect him to be a plus blocker most of the time -- and we shouldn't care if he's going to be ripping off 50+ yard gainers against defenses like Bama's. I watched the main replay last night and I was glad he didn't called for a hold on the third-down run in the first sequence of plays when we got the ball back with 7 mins left in the fourth. I know they didn't call holding all night but that looked like one that could've been called by a tighter group of officials. We got the first and Saban burned all his TO's and then we basically sealed with Brooks' third-and-7 run up the middle for another first down.

I’m not there yet. I’m on 3rd drive of 3rd Q by Texas offense. 

This drive (the one with the fumble and advancement by Brooks and then the ball swatted back to Ewers) and the previous one (the one where the Bama DB was pulling Worthy’s jersey from the 5 on into the endzone on the deep ball) the officials were egregiously bad against Texas.

On the swatted ball, Ewers crosses the sidelines about 1/2 between the Bama 48 and 49, maybe 3/4 as he’s angled forward going OOB.IMG_3304.thumb.jpeg.ef9eddc701d099d7176a8e73f1535942.jpeg

IMG_3305.thumb.jpeg.5bfa0a4b78bb6a9e2ac2cb68b29c7b20.jpeg
the official spots it back at the Bama 48

IMG_3307.thumb.jpeg.f677467fa880ebb7adcfd06a72e0c846.jpeg
IMG_3312.thumb.jpeg.9fdfab2ddc8afbf6addee9c0999b902f.jpeg

Brooks is stopped 2 plays later by less than 1/2 a yard on 4th and 2.

I didnt realize this until listening to the radio this morning.  12 straight running plays with 7+ minutes remaining to end the game AT their house.  No way that has happened before to them.

1st & 10 at TEX 30
(7:08 - 4th) CJ Baxter run for 3 yds to the TEX 33
2nd & 7 at TEX 33
(6:14 - 4th) Jonathon Brooks run for 5 yds to the TEX 38
3rd & 2 at TEX 38
(5:27 - 4th) Jonathon Brooks run for 3 yds to the TEX 41 for a 1ST down
(5:19 - 4th) Timeout Alabama, clock 05:19
1st & 10 at TEX 41
(5:14 - 4th) Jonathon Brooks run for 2 yds to the TEX 43
(5:14 - 4th) Timeout Alabama, clock 05:14
2nd & 8 at TEX 43
(5:09 - 4th) Jonathon Brooks run for 1 yd to the TEX 44
(5:09 - 4th) Timeout Alabama, clock 05:09
3rd & 7 at TEX 44
(5:03 - 4th) Jonathon Brooks run for 14 yds to the ALA 42 for a 1ST down
1st & 10 at ALA 42
(4:18 - 4th) Keilan Robinson run for 3 yds to the ALA 39
2nd & 7 at ALA 39
(3:36 - 4th) Jonathon Brooks run for no gain to the ALA 39
(2:53 - 4th) Timeout Texas, clock 02:53
3rd & 7 at ALA 39
(2:48 - 4th) Jonathon Brooks run for 4 yds to the ALA 35
4th & 3 at ALA 35
(2:09 - 4th) Alabama Penalty, Defensive Offside (Trezmen Marshall) to the ALA 30 for a 1ST down
1st & 10 at ALA 30
(1:45 - 4th) TEAM run for a loss of 2 yards to the ALA 32
2nd & 12 at ALA 32
(1:01 - 4th) TEAM run for a loss of 2 yards to the ALA 34
3rd & 14 at ALA 34
(0:27 - 4th) TEAM run for a loss of 2 yards to the ALA 36
(0:00 - 4th) End of 4th Quarter

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, markstanco said:

I didnt realize this until listening to the radio this morning.  12 straight running plays with 7+ minutes remaining to end the game AT their house.  No way that has happened before to them.

1st & 10 at TEX 30
2nd & 7 at TEX 33
3rd & 2 at TEX 38
1st & 10 at TEX 41
2nd & 8 at TEX 43
3rd & 7 at TEX 44
1st & 10 at ALA 42
2nd & 7 at ALA 39
3rd & 7 at ALA 39
4th & 3 at ALA 35
(2:09 - 4th) Alabama Penalty, Defensive Offside (Trezmen Marshall) to the ALA 30 for a 1ST down
1st & 10 at ALA 30
2nd & 12 at ALA 32
3rd & 14 at ALA 34

Texas just murdered the clock on that drive.

• Hook 'Em 2

How can anybody watch this Pat McAfee garbage on a regular basis? A half-dozen guys with really bad haircuts who have to look up every single player's name on their roster sheets other than Ewers or Milroe. I've come to grips with him being Corso's heir apparent as GameDay's goofball analyst but this is a waste (other than Texas whipping Bama ass, of course).

EDIT: I did enjoy the black guy calling his shot by saying "touchdown" with the ball barely out of Quinn's hand on the second Mitchell TD.

Edited by C-Man
  • Hook 'Em 5

43 minutes ago, markstanco said:

1st & 10 at TEX 30
2nd & 7 at TEX 33
3rd & 2 at TEX 38
1st & 10 at TEX 41
2nd & 8 at TEX 43
3rd & 7 at TEX 44
1st & 10 at ALA 42
2nd & 7 at ALA 39
3rd & 7 at ALA 39
4th & 3 at ALA 35
1st & 10 at ALA 30
2nd & 12 at ALA 32
3rd & 14 at ALA 34

Borderline  erotic. 

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

I’m not there yet. I’m on 3rd drive of 3rd Q by Texas offense. 

This drive (the one with the fumble and advancement by Brooks and then the ball swatted back to Ewers) and the previous one (the one where the Bama DB was pulling Worthy’s jersey from the 5 on into the endzone on the deep ball) the officials were egregiously bad against Texas.

On the swatted ball, Ewers crosses the sidelines about 1/2 between the Bama 48 and 49, maybe 3/4 as he’s angled forward going OOB.IMG_3304.thumb.jpeg.ef9eddc701d099d7176a8e73f1535942.jpeg

IMG_3305.thumb.jpeg.5bfa0a4b78bb6a9e2ac2cb68b29c7b20.jpeg
the official spots it back at the Bama 48

IMG_3307.thumb.jpeg.f677467fa880ebb7adcfd06a72e0c846.jpeg
IMG_3312.thumb.jpeg.9fdfab2ddc8afbf6addee9c0999b902f.jpeg

Brooks is stopped 2 plays later by less than 1/2 a yard on 4th and 2.

That one really pissed me off. Was yelling at TV. Brooks woulda had a 1st down 2 plays later and probably more points. We saw a lot of B12 refs taking a yard away from Texas or adding a yard to opponent last year. No doubt we'll see more if it this year.

• Hook 'Em 1

I really enjoyed this one and am kind of done reveling in media attention, aggy tears, and in depth play breakdown until the next big w.

Texas was kind of at this point last year too even though there was no w. In many ways last year's defensive performance was better than this year's against a better qb.

A healthy Ewers makes all the difference on offense, but that was not a cure all later in the season.

Teams change and get better, so here's hoping Texas can keep up the intensity.

..and yes, I am pretty fun at parties.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

8 minutes ago, Jiggy-Z said:

I really enjoyed this one and am kind of done reveling in media attention, aggy tears, and in depth play breakdown until the next big w.

Texas was kind of at this point last year too even though there was no w. In many ways last year's defensive performance was better than this year's against a better qb.

A healthy Ewers makes all the difference on offense, but that was not a cure all later in the season.

That’s where I am. I have hope though. IMHO, the OL played better yesterday than last years Bama game.

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, Jiggy-Z said:

The big piece you are ignoring is that both lines are significantly improved over this time last year. The OL is a year wiser and the DL is getting pressure even without blitzes.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

The big piece you are ignoring is that both lines are significantly improved over this time last year. The OL is a year wiser and the DL is getting pressure even without blitzes.

Yes there are reasons to be very optimistic. But in a two game sample I have seen mediocre oline play in one and a defensive performance against Alabama that was arguably marginally worse than last year.

I'm not saying that the light hasn't switched on, but it's two games and we we were kind of "here" last year after this game and OU.

• Hook 'Em 1

It was orgasmic. When we needed 3 first downs to run out the game, Brooks bulldozed his way for 2 of them and then we absolutely fooled Alabama into giving us the game ending one. 
Been a long fucking time that we got the first down(s) we needed to seal a game.  No turtling, just straight up mauled them for 5 minutes and then took a couple knees.

We did this against Baylor last year. Something like 20+ runs to end the game
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Yes, I can see how losing to Alabama at home, however well the defense played, is “here” compared to beating Alabama’s ass in every phase of the game at their own place to the point they were lucky it wasn’t a 21+ point whipping. 

IMG_3852.jpeg

Finally, somebody who gets it!!!

• Like 1

Sanders is more of a hybrid WR/TE (heavy on the WR) than true TE. I don't expect him to be a plus blocker most of the time -- and we shouldn't care if he's going to be ripping off 50+ yard gainers against defenses like Bama's.

This is the correct outlook in an offense like Sarks and in the NFL. Travis Kelce, Mark Andrews, Darren Waller, Kyle Pitts… these guys aren’t coveted for their blocking. Kittle and Hockenson, sure, but that’s Iowa for you lol.

Sanders is fine as a blocker. He gives effort and isn’t a liability. You’ll take that with his receiving talent. He also did a really nice job sealing a bigger DE on Brooks’s TD run.
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, C-Man said:

How can anybody watch this Pat McAfee garbage on a regular basis? A half-dozen guys with really bad haircuts who have to look up every single player's name on their roster sheets other than Ewers or Milroe. I've come to grips with him being Corso's heir apparent as GameDay's goofball analyst but this is a waste (other than Texas whipping Bama ass, of course).

EDIT: I did enjoy the black guy calling his shot by saying "touchdown" with the ball barely out of Quinn's hand on the second Mitchell TD.

Yes Thank You GIFs | Tenor

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

No idea if this has been talked about - but jeff Howe mentioned on the Longhorn Blitz podcast that he was able to ask Hayden Conner about the offsides that sealed the game.  Conner admitted that the hand flex that induced the offsides was something he had been thinking/working on.

Hand open:

image.png.38215b5a4d06546a488dae31ca20dac7.png

Closed:

image.png.99b9a83fa65bf5b23ab59420b3183292.png

It looks like our offensive line watched the Edelman/Kelce brothers podcast when they talked about using gloves that are the color or close to of the opponents jerseys so you don't get called for holding. Noticed Christian Jones/DJ Campbell were also wearing same color gloves too.

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Prime said:

I'm not a fan of galindo lol, but this was pretty cool and watching those highlights against a team that's pretty stacked athletically gives me more hope than I've had since 2009 that we are on track. We took their shots, their face masks, their holding, their fans saying awful racist shit, and we fuckin won. We also won playing a ton of guys who have never been in an environment quite like that, the red river game is hostile but when we start beating blOwU they don't generally turn into pieces of shit cockroach shit hook dirt bags. I saw mulitple face masks that weren't called on worthy and mitchell that were brutal, last year they tried to kill whittington and ewers. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Modessit said:
2 hours ago, Huckleberry said:
Great work by the video team. But we can now confirm that Hill was not throwing the Horns down back at them. He was telling them we own Tuscaloosa now, pointing down and probably yelling at them "this is our house now" or something similar.
image.thumb.png.b0c0335aaba9327b4e26b117e016d69c.png

'Suck my dick!'

Sincerely,

@Sgt Hulk

• Haha 1