We might be headed to the SEC but we can never embrace the SEC

Thatguy

It don't make a fuck.

It will be nice to be in a legit conference, but then again, I think we had that in old big 12.

Big 10 would have been nice with the fall weather but would have sucked for the winter. Some cool venues in AnnArbor, Madison, Minneapolis, Chicago but some real hell holes in Columbus, East Lansing, and State College.

In SEC Vandy and Knoxville are cool but everything else is just the south.

Although one could argue almost anyplace would be better than Austin in September.

Whatever. It's  a conference and we will be in it and put more into it than we take out.  We will teach some things and learn some things.

Notre Dame, BYU, and Randolph Field are not in it, so I think we will do just fine.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Another thing I forgot to mention about Saturday night. While we were walking back after the game, at one point this 5'7" frat guy was begging me to say something while he was screaming in my face about my wife being a bitch and me apparently being a gay hippie liberal, with 4 of his other stunted friends waiting to jump in behind him, an early-30's Bama fan started me up in a conversation as a distraction. It was helpful. I'm fairly certain those assholes eventually beat the shit out of someone because they were cowards in numbers looking for a fight. 

Anyway, we started talking about Bama and the season. I thought the guy was a nice enough fella and then he starts walking through the reasons while they'll finish 11-1, playing UGA for the SEC title and so forth. "This is a non-conference game that doesn't mean anything anyway." So on and so forth.

At some point, the guy says "by conference play, the Asian QB will be in there running the Notre Dame guy's offense and we'll be fine." I said, "I don't remember reading about an Asian QB recruit." And he said, "well, the ol'boy from Notre Dame. he looks like a Jap. I just figure he is." "Oh." 

He just kept on going and ultimately talked himself into the playoffs, it appeared, as we were heading different ways at an intersection. "yeah, that Jap'll get in there at some point." Cool cool cool.

Googles "Tyler Buchner"

giphy.gif

• Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Not sure where to post this, but here's a breakdown of my personal experience with their miserable fucking fans this past weekend. I've spoilered it for the TL;DR crowd.

Hide contents

I've been to Tuscaloosa for a game before. Our buddies hosted @SydneyCarton, myself and the guy that made the Greg Davis 3rd and 5 graphic for the Alabama/UF game in 2014. Our friends gave us Bama gear and we were good sports and wore it. I bought a grey hat with the crimson elephant logo on it, which I still have and think is pretty cool unto itself. We went to tailgates and bars and the fans were nice, if rowdy. So, I figured I knew what to expect. 

This time around, I just went with my wife. We landed in Birmingham and drove in to town and stayed on Friday night. That evening, while on the wait at Chuck's Fish (which is excellent), we were greeted, and conversed with repeatedly, by well-meaning and very friendly Bama fans. High class folks with their greek children and their friends in tow, all wishing us well and telling us how much they "all like Steve so much". My wife said to me, "wow, these are great fans. they really are shockingly nice hosts."

It was then that I told her she might a) be misreading what was happening and b) to just wait until tomorrow for a better picture. On a), my point was that these folks, who were certainly nice, were doing so because they simply expected to win and viewed us as a novelty. On b), she got to see everything for herself in sharp relief on Saturday, as did I. This time, wearing UT gear, the gameday fans treated us completely differently. 

I've been to the RRS many times. Watched a game in the Rose Bowl versus USC. Been to Morgantown, College Station (many times), UH, JerryWorld, Fayetteville, the Cotton Bowl, and various other bowl match-ups. Measured against all of those groups, I don't know that I've ever encountered another group of fans on gameday that were a worse representation of the human species.

The amount of hillbillies and frat and sorority dipshits screaming "horns down!" at the top of their lungs while putting the horns down sign one inch from your face was absurd. I didn't see any longhorns giving a shit other than when one of those rubes touched them with the gesture. "Fuck Texas!!!" "Kill yourself if you're from Texas!!" and other comments along the same lines are not comments I've had thrown in my face repeatedly alongside any other fanbase. These are bottom scraping pieces of human shit. 

After the game, things only got worse. We walked back to our car alone and for the first time in my life as a fan, there were several moments in which I was legitimately concerned that we were about to get jumped. This while just walking and saying nothing. Frat guys, white trash buddies with beers in their hands telling my wife she should come hang out with Bama men, a mixed group of face-tatted likely ex-convicts telling me to get the fuck out of their state, and one guy from Sling Blade who tried to fight me while screaming "FUCK TEXAS!!!" at the top of his lungs and standing 6'5", 400 pounds. 

That entire fanbase is a collection of entitled bitches who can't handle a loss. They're a pathetic group of dipshits best only visited in larger numbers coming and going than just one dude and one female. Note to self and others when we go back in 2025, 2026, or 2027. 

Sounds a lot like Columbus in 05. No one with any sense left the ‘shoe in a group smaller than 20 people. Most of us waited for the stadium to clear out, joined the rest of our fans in the visitors section, and left as one massive group for safety. When my group got back to our hotel, a guy in an Ohio State sweatshirt comes in and removes his sweatshirt to reveal his Texas shirt underneath. Apparently he had driven to the game, and his Ohio State buddy was kind enough to literally give this guy the shirt off his back so no one would throw a brick through the windshield as the Texas fan tried to leave the parking lot. I saw old women accosted and urine thrown on passing fans from frat house front porches. Fuck that fan base in the ass. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Chili dog said:

I will never, and I hope our fan base will never, genuinely participate in the SEC circle jerk. This union is based on the promotion of self-interests, both for us and that conference. But the rest of the teams in the conference and their fans can fuck themselves. 

I think the direction on that is pretty clear.

We're not plastering "SEC" all over everything we have like aggy did.  We'll have it on the field and on the basketball court because I suppose we have to.  But it's not going to be bigger than our own logo on every goddamned t-shirt we sell.  Frankly, I don't think it'll be on any t-shirt we sell.

To the extent you hear anything from our fans or the school about "SEC," it's as a middle finger to the Big 12, which richly deserves it.  

And on the part of the SEC, you saw their "a new era . . ." commercial, which prominently features Texas, three times during the Saturday night broadcast.  The SEC is plainly pretty damned excited to have Texas in a way that it wasn't with aggy.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

3 hours ago, ztejas said:

Texas/OU is mostly civil because there's a lot of respect between the fanbases, as athletic programs we generally have the same best interests in mind, we have to put up with the same annoying bullshit (like aggy, tech, Nebraska etc.), we usually benefit when the other team is also good (there were years in the B12 where we were the only relevant team on each other's schedule) AND in cities like Dallas we all have to work and live with each other. There are also a lot of OU alums that are from Texas. And shit, our greatest coach ever was from Oklahoma. 

I fucking despise OU's football team - but I generally like their fans that live in Texas okay because they just seem to get it. They are generally realistic about both their team and ours - unlike the goobers towards Houston - and they generally aren't insecure to the point where they act childish or nasty. I've had countless convos where it sort of goes "damn, you guys look good this season" "well - we'll see what happens in Dallas" "yep - good luck" etc. I remember after the 2016 game where they played like shit against another awful Strong team and had already dropped 2 games in noncon, everyone filing out was like "man we both kind of fucking suck". That OU team still won 10 games but you could tell they weren't super jazzed about beating a crappy Texas team by 5 points. I didn't have anyone shoving it in my face or anything like that.

I'm sure folks here have anecdotal experiences about terrible OU fans but I'm sure some OU fans have experiences dealing with shithead Texas fans. 

We're just sort of eternally tied to the hip.

TX/OU has been mostly friendly since 09 because that was the end of top 10 battles in the series. Now you add the fact that you can still win the conference if you lose the game, and it’s weakened the significance a lot. I went to fucking jail in 2003 the Friday before the game. Early to mid 2000s games were pretty hostile between fan bases because the game meant so much. There were national title implications. If we get back to that point, the hostility will ramp up. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, closetohumping said:

See I would think the fare would escalate things.  But , my theory is that our series with ou has been so lopsided that they feel bad for us.  Actually I know that first hand as I attended the rrs the last 20 years

I've definitely told a sister fucker to fuck his sister before.  I'm immune to de-escalation.  

8 minutes ago, Chili dog said:

TX/OU has been mostly friendly since 09 because that was the end of top 10 battles in the series. Now you add the fact that you can still win the conference if you lose the game, and it’s weakened the significance a lot. I went to fucking jail in 2003 the Friday before the game. Early to mid 2000s games were pretty hostile between fan bases because the game meant so much. There were national title implications. If we get back to that point, the hostility will ramp up. 

Denzel Washington GIF

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Got damn.  Has anyone been to Bama and tOSU?  I’d love to hear who is worse.  I’d think Columbus would be hard to top as far as mouth breathing fuckstains…

Went to the Shoe in 2005, other than the periodic F-you shouted from the out-of-reach passerby I had a good experience but I think my experience was the exception.  Also went up there for the OSU-Michigan game in 2018, sat in the "big cigar" section and was shocked by how some of them were talking and acting.  They were killing Michigan in the game and the vitriol was flowing ( 50-70 year olds mainly).

35 minutes ago, wood said:

Exactly the way it was the first time we played Nebraska up there. Cool folks at the time, but they didn't know what was coming. As we all know, they got nasty in the years to follow.

I was expecting that the 1998 Nebraska game would be a good parallel for this weekend's Bama crowd.  Nebraska fans were very cordial, even in the loss, telling us how glad they were that we got to come up, etc.  Great experience overall.  That obviously changed dramatically by 2010, where we were greeted less cordially to put it mildly.

BAMA has nothing to prove, they have won 6 titles in 14 years, etc.  Certainly, there were several nice people who welcomed us and were very friendly but many more who were obnoxious and way too proud of shouting "horns down" to every person in burnt orange they could spot.  My 10 YO was with me and at one point as we are walking over by the ESPN Gameday setup a group shouts "HORNS DOWN" to which I reply with a Hook 'em!! while continuing to walk past them.  Then one of them follows with "Hey, Fuck you and your son!"  I gave a quick head turn, found who I thought the culprit was, flashed him a Hook 'em and kept walking.  My son asked, "why would they do that?"  I told him essentially to not worry about what stupid people do or say.  Overall, a good trip and wouldn't hesitate to go back for a game but won't have any faulty expectations of cordiality.

1 hour ago, Hermanator said:

I want to go to an LSU night game but when they're playing aggy. And while I won't spend money on anything with LSU on it I'll be wearing purple.

I'm really curious what the people watching in that coonass environment would be like

Went to Auburn @ LSU in 2013 for a night game, had a great time but was wearing purple and gold.  Will plan to go back when UT plays there, hopefully it won't be too bad.

3 hours ago, ztejas said:

I don't know how racist your fans are but they sure as shit are as obnoxious as the best of them. 

And I think we like LSU fans for the most part. 

Lol, LSU fans are second most racist and violent in the league. Your brief interactions with SEC members obviously has not been an accurate representation of reality. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, orange dream said:

Went to the Shoe in 2005, other than the periodic F-you shouted from the out-of-reach passerby I had a good experience but I think my experience was the exception.  Also went up there for the OSU-Michigan game in 2018, sat in the "big cigar" section and was shocked by how some of them were talking and acting.  They were killing Michigan in the game and the vitriol was flowing ( 50-70 year olds mainly).

I was expecting that the 1998 Nebraska game would be a good parallel for this weekend's Bama crowd.  Nebraska fans were very cordial, even in the loss, telling us how glad they were that we got to come up, etc.  Great experience overall.  That obviously changed dramatically by 2010, where we were greeted less cordially to put it mildly.

BAMA has nothing to prove, they have won 6 titles in 14 years, etc.  Certainly, there were several nice people who welcomed us and were very friendly but many more who were obnoxious and way too proud of shouting "horns down" to every person in burnt orange they could spot.  My 10 YO was with me and at one point as we are walking over by the ESPN Gameday setup a group shouts "HORNS DOWN" to which I reply with a Hook 'em!! while continuing to walk past them.  Then one of them follows with "Hey, Fuck you and your son!"  I gave a quick head turn, found who I thought the culprit was, flashed him a Hook 'em and kept walking.  My son asked, "why would they do that?"  I told him essentially to not worry about what stupid people do or say.  Overall, a good trip and wouldn't hesitate to go back for a game but won't have any faulty expectations of cordiality.

Went to Auburn @ LSU in 2013 for a night game, had a great time but was wearing purple and gold.  Will plan to go back when UT plays there, hopefully it won't be too bad.

My brother was a strength coach at LSU in the late 2000s. He has a ring from 07. I went to many night games. There is a weight room in the north end of the LSU stadium with a secret access door to one of the tunnels that bypasses security. My brother would send us in through that door and we’d sit in the student section. Obviously, I was gracious enough not to wear orange, plus I have always had a strong self-preservation instinct.

One time they were playing Ole Miss in a very down year for Ole Miss. A bunch of equipment managers from Texas went to the game and found their way into the student section not far from me. Texas had a bye that weekend. These guys had bought LSU hats to show they were rooting for LSU, but they wore their school issued Texas jackets, as it was mid November and a little brisk at night. 

These nutria-fucking mouth breathers turn their attention from the game, where their team was struggling with a bad Ole Miss squad, and begin to offer violence to these poor equipment managers, who are clearly rooting for LSU. I really thought an ass-beating was imminent. By the end of the game, I was rooting for Ole Miss, despite LSU being my brother’s employer. I won’t be going to a game there wearing burnt orange. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3
  • Rage+1 1
  • Drool 1

4 hours ago, Hermanator said:

Seeing how people in the US are about their religion, how they've gotten about their politics, and knowing how seriously they take football there will never be a day where I go to an away football game. Whether college or NFL. Anyone stupid enough to go to a state as backwards as Alabama without a small army with them are fortunate if they leave without bodily injury from locals or law enforcement. 

I've been pleasantly surprised at how civilized the Cotton Bowl has been throughout the years but I wouldn't be surprised if even that changes going forward. Enjoy it while it lasts. 

OU is generally tame because a) it is 50/50, b) the people that go are mostly season tix holders(students can get rowdy with other students for sure) from both schools and c) upsets are expected.  the Fair also seems to put people in a good mood.

Bama and tOSU never expect anyone to beat them in their house.  Neb for a while was gracious in defeat until it became a constant and then they ran like bitches.

Texas fans do have other things going on, and other sports to cheer for.  Bama/tOSU got football. it is truly religion and the only religion.  when we lose we are more pissed at our team/coaches than to worry about the other team's fans.

• Hook 'Em 1

Ok guys.  Thanks for all your help.  This was a project of mine.  Out of boredom I decided to take a class at the local JC. Needless to say,  I am many decades older than most of the class.  I'm 20 years older than the professor.  We got in a discussion the other day and I made the comment that regardless of any proven evidence about whatever the topic is,  if it goes against the woke/liberal/PC mindset,  the discussion won't last long before it gets ugly.  First emotion,  then name calling.  The important thing here is the time frame.  My rep went from 205 to 161 in a little more than an hour.  Not much name calling but a lot of middle finger.  Started to go to west mall but I saw this thread and decided why not.  Got the idea from  Raymond,  the episode where Robert gives the fake IQ test.  Anyway,  all is good.  Appreciate you guys. Hookem Horns.  Beat Wyoming.  And fuck baylor.  Enjoy the rest of your day.  

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 25

5 minutes ago, tonedeaf said:

Ok guys.  Thanks for all your help.  This was a project of mine.  Out of boredom I decided to take a class at the local JC. Needless to say,  I am many decades older than most of the class.  I'm 20 years older than the professor.  We got in a discussion the other day and I made the comment that regardless of any proven evidence about whatever the topic is,  if it goes against the woke/liberal/PC mindset,  the discussion won't last long before it gets ugly.  First emotion,  then name calling.  The important thing here is the time frame.  My rep went from 205 to 161 in a little more than an hour.  Not much name calling but a lot of middle finger.  Started to go to west mall but I saw this thread and decided why not.  Got the idea from  Raymond,  the episode where Robert gives the fake IQ test.  Anyway,  all is good.  Appreciate you guys. Hookem Horns.  Beat Wyoming.  And fuck baylor.  Enjoy the rest of your day.  

Edited by Dbeasy

3 minutes ago, tonedeaf said:

2 minutes ago, USNALonghorn said:

youtube name GIF

saturday night live snowflakes GIF by HULU

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Dude, we've been through this. There is never an appropriate time to root for OU. Ever. The rest of your post is fine and your avatar is A+.

Not that it'll ever happen, but I'd have a hard fucking time pulling for aggy over the gooners if we need aggy to lose so we can get to the sec championship game. There has to be at least that exception to the no pulling for ousux rule. 

I know it's a very unlikely scenario aggy will ever sniff the championship game but crazier shit has happened.

I'd pass your admiration of my avatar on to the esposa. On 2nd thought I better not. I'd probably get kicked in the nuts for using the pic. 

• Haha 1

Just now, CfRhTxStBobcats said:

Not that it'll ever happen, but I'd have a hard fucking time pulling for aggy over the gooners if we need aggy to lose so we can get to the sec championship game. There has to be at least that exception to the no pulling for ousux rule. 

I know it's a very unlikely scenario aggy will ever sniff the championship game but crazier shit has happened.

I'd pass your admiration of my avatar on to the esposa. On 2nd thought I better not. I'd probably get kicked in the nuts for using the pic. 

Always wish for the meteor in that scenario.

• Hook 'Em 5

3 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

And it’s never a night game.  People aren’t generally really shitfaced drunk en masse, and there are kids and families everywhere and security in broad daylight.

I’ve never been to an LSU night home game, but I know even other SEC fans get squeamish about that.  I’m guessing that much be like a cross between the NFL fan parking lot bumfight videos and a Mad Max movie, except with everyone smelling of moonshine and corndogs crawfish.  I’m kind of intrigued.

fify

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CfRhTxStBobcats said:

No exceptions. If OU is playing the Taliban, I'm wearing a turban and declaring jihad for 60 minutes of football. I guess if there's a time machine and my choices are questioning the Holocaust or cheering for OU against the Nazis, maybe I'm quietly chanting a little boomer sooner as the panzers probably roll over them on the 50. That's about it.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

17 minutes ago, tonedeaf said:

this is dumber than your understanding of the word 'inferred.'

27 minutes ago, Tomatillo said:

Lol, LSU fans are second most racist and violent in the league. Your brief interactions with SEC members obviously has not been an accurate representation of reality. 

No - we get it. Georgia fans are the best and most well behaved. Unlike those murderous rapists in Baton Rouge.

I'm sure you'll be even more pleasant to interact with with this recent stretch of success. 

21 minutes ago, tonedeaf said:

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, tonedeaf said:

Take it to Cloak Room.   

*PLEASE* take it to Cloak Room, dumbass.

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Chili dog said:

My brother was a strength coach at LSU in the late 2000s. He has a ring from 07. I went to many night games. There is a weight room in the north end of the LSU stadium with a secret access door to one of the tunnels that bypasses security. My brother would send us in through that door and we’d sit in the student section. Obviously, I was gracious enough not to wear orange, plus I have always had a strong self-preservation instinct.

One time they were playing Ole Miss in a very down year for Ole Miss. A bunch of equipment managers from Texas went to the game and found their way into the student section not far from me. Texas had a bye that weekend. These guys had bought LSU hats to show they were rooting for LSU, but they wore their school issued Texas jackets, as it was mid November and a little brisk at night. 

These nutria-fucking mouth breathers turn their attention from the game, where their team was struggling with a bad Ole Miss squad, and begin to offer violence to these poor equipment managers, who are clearly rooting for LSU. I really thought an ass-beating was imminent. By the end of the game, I was rooting for Ole Miss, despite LSU being my brother’s employer. I won’t be going to a game there wearing burnt orange. 

I visited for the Troy game in 2004 (I had friends in BR at the time) and had no issue in full Texas attire, but I've also heard from other SEC school fans it's the worst place to go.

1 hour ago, Wilcox Cummingtonite said:

Y'all (UF) are the exception to the rule imo. Probably because y'all actually play school like us.

Yes Gainsville and Florida is the equivalent in the SEC for sure. Gainsville has grown quite a bit but it's obviously not Austin. Florida has a medical school and decent size system but it's not UT System.

Still, miles and miles from the T-shirt fan dipshits we will run into in Mississippi, Georgia, Alabama, Lousiana... It's nothing but room temperature IQs and drugs/alcohol abuse in the poor areas in those states. 

23 minutes ago, mdmost said:

First off, this is bullshit. You're in no local JC class and there's no discussion about going against the woke mindset. I know this is true because I've seen this exact paragraph written before by other trolls who got their asses handed to them. You came into a thread where there was clear racism thrown at our black players and did the "well, actually" stupid shit. Accept your punishment like a man, you dumb old fuck. 

What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I'll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I've been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I'm the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You're fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that's just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little "clever" comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn't, you didn't, and now you're paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You're fucking dead, kiddo.

• Haha 2
  • Drool 1

23 minutes ago, ztejas said:

No - we get it. Georgia fans are the best and most well behaved. Unlike those murderous rapists in Baton Rouge.

I'm sure you'll be even more pleasant to interact with with this recent stretch of success. 

You seem confused between obnoxious and violent/racist. 

“obnoxious” is typically used to describe fans of another team who cheer while the other two are a little worse. 

23 minutes ago, ztejas said:

You seem confused between obnoxious and violent/racist. 

“obnoxious” is typically used to describe fans of another team who cheer while the other two are a little worse. 

30 minutes ago, JBJ said:

I visited for the Troy game in 2004 (I had friends in BR at the time) and had no issue in full Texas attire, but I've also heard from other SEC school fans it's the worst place to go.

1) Were you in the student section? My experience may have been tainted because of my seats. 

2) Was it a night game?

3) Was the stadium full? Their fans, especially the students, give no shits about non-con doormat games. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Yeah, Starkville and Baton Rouge have never been in my plans. I had to work on a project in BR for about a year and ended up having to lay the whole team off at the end of it. They're not a deep-thinking collective and the city itself is a shithole. Starkville just seems like a dump and I've been to a few of those in Mississippi, so that box has been checked.

We'll go back to Tuscaloosa in larger numbers. It's a fun place outside of the before and after of the game. Oxford, Nashville, Knoxville, and Athens are trips we'll also take. Have a friend that played for UK, so we'll be with friendlies there, same for Fayetteville. No interest in Mizzou, Gainesville, College Station, or Colombia. Auburn is apparently interesting, so that's the only other consideration.

Agree with all except Tusca being a fun place. 

And will also submit Tiger Stadium is a fantastic place to see a game. Just stay away from the students. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Gut Wagon said:

Texas native and UT alum here. Also a transplant to Georgia for the past 39 years. Wife's family are all big UGA fans. So I guess  I've seen the belly of the beast.

Get ready for more of what CTJ unfortunately experienced,

I'm not a big college football road dawg, but I have been to a game at Sanford (Athens).  Peyton Manning UTenn vs Georgia.  Holy shit, that place was nuts, but I wasn't the enemy, so I didn't get any flack.  My buddy was in vet school there, so I was full on rooting for UGA.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Not sure where to post this, but here's a breakdown of my personal experience with their miserable fucking fans this past weekend. I've spoilered it for the TL;DR crowd.

Reveal hidden contents

I've been to Tuscaloosa for a game before. Our buddies hosted @SydneyCarton, myself and the guy that made the Greg Davis 3rd and 5 graphic for the Alabama/UF game in 2014. Our friends gave us Bama gear and we were good sports and wore it. I bought a grey hat with the crimson elephant logo on it, which I still have and think is pretty cool unto itself. We went to tailgates and bars and the fans were nice, if rowdy. So, I figured I knew what to expect. 

This time around, I just went with my wife. We landed in Birmingham and drove in to town and stayed on Friday night. That evening, while on the wait at Chuck's Fish (which is excellent), we were greeted, and conversed with repeatedly, by well-meaning and very friendly Bama fans. High class folks with their greek children and their friends in tow, all wishing us well and telling us how much they "all like Steve so much". My wife said to me, "wow, these are great fans. they really are shockingly nice hosts."

It was then that I told her she might a) be misreading what was happening and b) to just wait until tomorrow for a better picture. On a), my point was that these folks, who were certainly nice, were doing so because they simply expected to win and viewed us as a novelty. On b), she got to see everything for herself in sharp relief on Saturday, as did I. This time, wearing UT gear, the gameday fans treated us completely differently. 

I've been to the RRS many times. Watched a game in the Rose Bowl versus USC. Been to Morgantown, College Station (many times), UH, JerryWorld, Fayetteville, the Cotton Bowl, and various other bowl match-ups. Measured against all of those groups, I don't know that I've ever encountered another group of fans on gameday that were a worse representation of the human species.

The amount of hillbillies and frat and sorority dipshits screaming "horns down!" at the top of their lungs while putting the horns down sign one inch from your face was absurd. I didn't see any longhorns giving a shit other than when one of those rubes touched them with the gesture. "Fuck Texas!!!" "Kill yourself if you're from Texas!!" and other comments along the same lines are not comments I've had thrown in my face repeatedly alongside any other fanbase. These are bottom scraping pieces of human shit. 

After the game, things only got worse. We walked back to our car alone and for the first time in my life as a fan, there were several moments in which I was legitimately concerned that we were about to get jumped. This while just walking and saying nothing. Frat guys, white trash buddies with beers in their hands telling my wife she should come hang out with Bama men, a mixed group of face-tatted likely ex-convicts telling me to get the fuck out of their state, and one guy from Sling Blade who tried to fight me while screaming "FUCK TEXAS!!!" at the top of his lungs and standing 6'5", 400 pounds. 

That entire fanbase is a collection of entitled bitches who can't handle a loss. They're a pathetic group of dipshits best only visited in larger numbers coming and going than just one dude and one female. Note to self and others when we go back in 2025, 2026, or 2027. 

Did you go to Columbus in 05?  If not, I'd like to hear from anyone who did and also attended this last weekend.  Curious on the comparison because I find it hard to believe anything could be worse than Columbus.  The comment about being just with the wife and not with a large group made me think of that 05 game.  One thing I noticed with those buckeye morons and I bet it applied with the bama yokels as well, was that they usually didn't say anything to you if you were a huge dude or 6'0"+.  Pussies usually operate that way, especially in large groups.

2 hours ago, Jiggy-Z said:

It don't make a fuck.

It will be nice to be in a legit conference, but then again, I think we had that in old big 12.

Big 10 would have been nice with the fall weather but would have sucked for the winter. Some cool venues in AnnArbor, Madison, Minneapolis, Chicago but some real hell holes in Columbus, East Lansing, and State College.

In SEC Vandy and Knoxville are cool but everything else is just the south.

Although one could argue almost anyplace would be better than Austin in September.

Whatever. It's  a conference and we will be in it and put more into it than we take out.  We will teach some things and learn some things.

Notre Dame, BYU, and Randolph Field are not in it, so I think we will do just fine.

Lol, you couldn’t be more wrong. Knox isn’t the south? Have you been to fla? Or Mizzou? Even UK is northern compared to Knox lmfao. 

You couldn’t be more off on all of that. 

7 hours ago, The Original Greaser Bob said:

Yes, there a racists everywhere, but I'm comfortable with us always remaining apart from the rest of the close-minded SEC mindset.

Yes, there a racists everywhere, but I'm comfortable with us always remaining apart from the rest of the close-minded SEC mindset.

I'll admit that I've always been a homer deep down for whatever conference Texas was in.  But I'm going to be rooting for every other non-SEC team to beat every SEC team from here on in.

Well, you’re assuming the SEC is all like Alabama, which couldn’t be further from the truth.

Doesn’t that make you “close minded”? 

21 minutes ago, Tomatillo said:

Agree with all except Tusca being a fun place. 

And will also submit Tiger Stadium is a fantastic place to see a game. Just stay away from the students. 

My thoughts on Tuscaloosa are more from the tourist/traveler in me than the football fan. They've got good restaurants, the bars are fun, and it's a scenic area. It helps that we have friends there. I wouldn't go out of my way to visit there if it wasn't for football every now and then. Still, the lesson on my end has been learned and our next trip will include anywhere between 3 and 6 couples. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Hide contents

They are the worst. No one else is anywhere near that. 

This published story in AL.com is another version of your story- https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/2021/10/people-of-alabama-please-stop-shooting-each-other-over-football.html