Week 5, 2023: Kansas at Texas

Wulaw Horn

46 minutes ago, OU Sucks said:

Should plaster photos of the opposing team giving the horns down from the past few years.  Plenty of material to choose from.  Everywhere in the locker room, our players will have to see punchable faces like this all week.

image.thumb.jpeg.e1b1f693001cb9f744568891328e4f80.jpeg

This was the Jalon Daniels breakout game, and the game that set the KU program as a whole on a positive trajectory. Time for us to mudhole them and send their asses back towards the cellar where they belong. 

• Rage+1 1

46 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

1) did all the uniforms only say Jayhawk?

2) wwIi vet?

Maybe the "s" key wasn't working on the jersey designer's computer?  Because the KU website seems to think the patch should be "KU WWII VETS" with an "s", which makes more sense than "vet", making it sound like the player is a WWII vet:

The uniforms have several markings that directly honor World War II veterans, including a patch on the front of the jersey that reads “KU WWII Vets”

https://kuathletics.com/football-kansas-honors-wwii-veterans-with-alternate-uniforms-at-salute-to-service-game-nov-3/

And yes, all of them looked the same:

image.thumb.jpeg.310e5950453bb088341d9507e95eee97.jpeg

Edited by OU Sucks

1 hour ago, OU Sucks said:

Maybe the "s" key wasn't working on the jersey designer's computer?  Because the KU website seems to think the patch should be "KU WWII VETS" with an "s", which makes more sense than "vet", making it sound like the player is a WWII vet:

https://kuathletics.com/football-kansas-honors-wwii-veterans-with-alternate-uniforms-at-salute-to-service-game-nov-3/

And yes, all of them looked the same:

image.thumb.jpeg.310e5950453bb088341d9507e95eee97.jpeg

It’s like Geese or Sheep etc. doesn’t have an “s” for multiple Jayhawk

12 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

This game is tricky and it scares me more than any other. I think KU is a better team than OU or anyone else on our schedule other than maybe KSU, and matchup wise KSU doesn’t scare me as much as KU because they don’t do anything as well as KU does offense. 

I like you as a poster, but this is such a horrible take. Kansas isn’t all that good, and they’re definitely worse than Oklahoma. Oklahoma is top 10 in basically any team efficiency metric you look at. Kansas isn’t even top 50. 

And we’re a 19 point favorite over Kansas this week and the money line has us at over -1,000. That should put our implied win probability above 90%. This is not going to be the toughest matchup we have all year.  

• Hook 'Em 1

I think it'll be the first game that our defense won't make the other team look completely out of place just by showing up.  But I also think Quinn and Co have every opportunity to put up big numbers.

The week before OU is historically a letdown.  Let's make sure we argue a lot about how focused the coaches and players are this week.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

This offense has yet to break 40 points. They won’t do it this weekend either. I’m thinking 27-13 type shit 

I think this is the worst defense they will have played- and i don’t know that the ku offense is great at possessing the ball so the posessions shouldn’t be suppressed by style of play. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

This offense has yet to break 40 points. They won’t do it this weekend either. I’m thinking 27-13 type shit 

This defense is as bad or worse than any we’ve seen so far. Offense easily would’ve broke 40 yesterday without special teams going special needs. Could see it.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Sgt Hulk said:

The Kansas defense is on par or worse than Rice and Baylor. 

Also, we could have easily scored 40 on Baylor if Sark wanted to. I'll bet you any amount of money Texas scores more than 27 against this Kansas defense combined with the fact Kansas won't be trying nearly as much to control TOP like other teams we've played. 

16 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

i can't remember a smoking crater on special teams like we had last night

unfortunately, auburn is not clutch, great kid, wish he had the dawserxtuckmojo

maybe we should have dedicated kick fielders?

JeffWardMojo would be preferable for Texas placekickers.

The kids on this board thinks Ward is just a podcast/talk-radio host. Lulz.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Sal said:

I’ve been hard on Ewers, but his footwork is showing signs of improvement. You can see it when he hits the deep balls – stands in the pocket calmly, moves forward, and then launches a bomb

His throw to Johntay last week was a thing of beauty. He climbed the pocket in rhythm and then launched his best ball of the year right down the pipe. If Johntay doesn’t stub his toe on the turf after he caught it he would still be running.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

I like you as a poster, but this is such a horrible take. Kansas isn’t all that good, and they’re definitely worse than Oklahoma. Oklahoma is top 10 in basically any team efficiency metric you look at. Kansas isn’t even top 50. 

And we’re a 19 point favorite over Kansas this week and the money line has us at over -1,000. That should put our implied win probability above 90%. This is not going to be the toughest matchup we have all year.  

Oklahoma has inflated numbers in pretty much every category due to their absurd schedule. Oklahoma does not scare me this year. Kansas does not scare me this year, we are too deep at the LOS. KSU will be a quality opponent, but still not super concerned.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Vertigo said:

Oklahoma has inflated numbers in pretty much every category due to their absurd schedule. Oklahoma does not scare me this year. Kansas does not scare me this year, we are too deep at the LOS. KSU will be a quality opponent, but still not super concerned.

Pretty much the case for both teams. 

Strength of schedule per ESPN: OU #80 and Kansas #121. Both have just been beating really bad teams. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Fuck it- bought 2 tix for the wife and I. I try to go to at least one game every year if I can. 

Good news- we haven’t lost when I’ve been in attendance at DKR since 2015 (Cal/Heard game w/ N Rose XP debacle)

Fuck Kansas! I feel like this is the game we put it together in all phases- I expect STs to step up in a big way accounting for some points on the board other than FGs/XPs. We’ll see.

P.S. Make your goddamn FGs, Bert.

Edited by Wilcox Cummingtonite
  • Hook 'Em 5

tldr: grow a pair

Are some of you really mewling and sweating over Kansas? 
It's Kansas.
How sad our ptsd has made us over the last decade. Yes, they beat Charlie. Yes, they beat Sark on the 2 pt conversion when we had no line, walk-on LBs,  and safeties who didn't want to hit anymore .
So I hear that Daniels is good. He lit the slow Mormons up for 130 yards last week. And they were slooooow. Good job, dude.
We aren't slow. 
Yes. He's going to hit a deep shot. Maybe two. Blind squirrel and what not. But most of his day will be running in fear. 
In case you didn't notice, in addition to a beastly running game (see also Brooks, J.) and the usual receiving corps that has been putting up "who you going to cover" numbers,  i.e. Worthy, Whittington, Mitchell, and Sanders, we're starting to add Cook. And Mr. C.J. Baxter isn't going to waste his opportunies when he's getting them.
Let's not forget that a major, major ass chewing on special teams took place this week, so expect something special to happen in that arena.
Yes. They might get two lucky bombs from sleepy blown coverages, but history has been restored. Twenty something guys made tackles for us last weekend. We're so fucking sickly deep. It's Kansas, y'all. Enjoy another beat down. In our place.
btw... want to sell your ticket???
cheap?  

“I am very tough and strong.

And poor.”

7 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Cool. 
did you watch OU play SMU and Cincy?  They suck man. 
Kansas gonna best that ass. We gonna overwhelm them. Kansas offense is the best unit we play the rest of the regular season. That adds an element of risk to the game not there for OU or KSU who just aren’t going to score on us. 
Maybe I’m wrong. 
I think KSU will beat KU btw and probably is a better team but they have nothing for us- imo. 

You know it's been a rough decade and a half when we're approaching a home game vs Kansas almost a pessimistically as our game at Alabama fucking Crimson Tide.

"But... but... Sark is an offensive genius that knows Saban and Bama!!"

Yeah, well Saban knows Sark, too. I've heard Saban might know a thing or two about defense. That shit works both ways.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

The Kansas defense is on par or worse than Rice and Baylor. 

Also, we could have easily scored 40 on Baylor if Sark wanted to. I'll bet you any amount of money Texas scores more than 27 against this Kansas defense combined with the fact Kansas won't be trying nearly as much to control TOP like other teams we've played. 

Their defense has actually been better than both Rice and Baylor this year, although obviously not good 

https://www.espn.com/college-football/fpi/_/view/efficiencies/sort/efficiencies.defefficiencyrank/dir/asc

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Fud said:

Their defense has actually been better than both Rice and Baylor this year, although obviously not good 

https://www.espn.com/college-football/fpi/_/view/efficiencies/sort/efficiencies.defefficiencyrank/dir/asc

Yeah, I know what the advanced stats say but they've played absolutely dog-shit offenses and they've had major issues. Based on the same efficiency rankings these are the offenses that Kansas has faced. 

#119 Nevada

#92 BYU

#76 Illinois 

Missouri State (FCS)

Giving up over 20 points a game to these awful offenses is not a good sign. Kansas finished #105 in DFEI last year and I think that's about where they will finish this year. It's just a bad defense that's likely going to get annihilated once they play offenses with a pulse. 

Just now, Rickylovesweed said:

Yeah, I know what the advanced stats say but they've played absolutely dog-shit offenses and they've had major issues. Based on the same efficiency rankings these are the offenses that Kansas has faced. 

#119 Nevada

#92 BYU

#76 Illinois 

Missouri State (FCS)

Giving up over 20 points a game to these awful offenses is not a good sign. Kansas finished #105 in DFEI last year and I think that's about where they will finish this year. It's just a bad defense that's likely going to get annihilated once they play offenses with a pulse. 

That metric is opponent adjusted 

And I agree that the Texas offense should do well against the Kansas defense

13 hours ago, Fud said:

The Texas offense should be able to cut through KU's defense like a hot chainsaw through butter. It mostly needs to avoid shooting itself in the foot

I'm just pointing out that so far this year, Kansas's defense has arguably been better than Rice's and much better than Baylor's

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Fud said:

That metric is opponent adjusted 

I know but we're splitting hairs here when we are arguing who has the worst defense between #90 and #100. 

My guess is Kansas will finish outside the top 100 in DFEI and the efficiency ranking you posted. When you watch how much their defense struggled (at times) with Nevada and BYU it's pretty obvious this is one of the worst defenses in the country. 

4 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I know but we're splitting hairs here when we are arguing who has the worst defense between #90 and #100. 

My guess is Kansas will finish outside the top 100 in DFEI and the efficiency ranking you posted. When you watch how much their defense struggled (at times) with Nevada and BYU it's pretty obvious this is one of the worst defenses in the country. 

I think FEI is similar to SP+ where it includes previous season's data and recruiting rankings+transfers, so that won't necessarily be completely indicative of how they played this year 

It's more useful for gambling/power ranking, less useful for detailing exactly what's happened on the field so far in this specific season 

2 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Cool. 
did you watch OU play SMU and Cincy?  They suck man. 
Kansas gonna best that ass. We gonna overwhelm them. Kansas offense is the best unit we play the rest of the regular season. That adds an element of risk to the game not there for OU or KSU who just aren’t going to score on us. 
Maybe I’m wrong. 
I think KSU will beat KU btw and probably is a better team but they have nothing for us- imo. 

We should spank OU again. They struggled with SMU(who isn't very good this season, they're on a rebuild year) and Cincy. OU's defense only looked good because it's Cincy and Emory Jones sucks. Wait until they play a better offense. Although Cincy's defense is a lot better than I thought. But still, if OU was "as improved" as the so called "experts" say, then they would have blown out Cincy by 4 TDs minimum. They'll get some points on us this year, but I still think we run away with it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, Horn Dogg said:

You must not have been at that home opener against North Carolina State back around 1999 or so.

Bad memories of that game other than the final. I was supposed to go with a buddy of mine. His sister who had great season tickets gave them to him but he became ill and gave them to me and told me to take someone. After the game I found out he passed away around halftime. At least he didn't stick around long enough to see the final score.

• Rage+1 1

Gotta bring it for 4 quarters on Saturday -- KU o-line is better than folks might expect.  Hope the Horns defense can reduce the number of long drives jay hawks offense has.

That damn long 3rd qtr drive that Wyoming had just can't happen this week.  Texas needs to run the ball well Saturday.  🤘

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, BachelorTrek said:

JeffWardMojo would be preferable for Texas placekickers.

The kids on this board thinks Ward is just a podcast/talk-radio host. Lulz.

He was also a professor at UT, and I took his l class back in 2009 or 2010. Literally the only thing that stuck with me from that course was how much Jeff Ward despised meetings. In his mind, nothing was more of a time waste than a meeting, and he reiterated that almost every lecture.

/csb 

24 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

if OU was "as improved" as the so called "experts" say, then they would have blown out Cincy by 4 TDs minimum.

And it wasn’t because dickables didn’t want to run the score up, either. He couldn’t.

Okie isn’t great, KU is worse.

We’ll win, but you can’t sleep on either one of them, nor can you sleep on the rest of the schedule. That’s how you get upset.

That being said, I’m sure the staff will handle things appropriately, and not let them slip. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

He was also a professor at UT, and I took his l class back in 2009 or 2010. Literally the only thing that stuck with me from that course was how much Jeff Ward despised meetings. In his mind, nothing was more of a time waste than a meeting, and he reiterated that almost every lecture.

/csb 

He's right. I would say 95% of meetings I've been in could have been handled in a 50 word email. 

• Hook 'Em 4

K-State is still a head-scratcher, and could give us a tough game.  But no reason we shouldn't win every single home game by at least 2 TD's+ from here on out.  

Crowd may be a little flat this week between the afternoon heat, anticipation of OU, and general expectation that Kansas is rollover opponent.  Would be nice to see a continual improvement in a very balanced and soul-crushing offensive attack.  

All that said, somebody start a Coach Sark press conference thread, starts in less than an hour.  (Supposedly).  And then we need to confirm the kickoff time for OU.  80% says it's 11:00a, but outside shot at 2:30p.  Gotta make travel plans.  Hook 'em.

Good point.  That was a pleasant surprise I predicted last week to see them at #24 this week.  My wife's cousin is coming into town for the game.  He's a KU grad and the campus head priest at their Catholic Center.  After the new rankings came out yesterday, he texted me between masses to ask, "Hey, do you think this means Gameday will be there?"  I responded, "God bless your little heart.  They're saving it for us and OU the following weekend."  He's giddy as hell, until I sent him the forecast for Saturday.  I've taken him to several KU/Texas hoops games over the years, but he's never seen a football game here.  I'm dropping him off at some quaint Kansas Catholic alumni chapter pre-game deal way over in NW campus area  house by Breed & Co.  But then picking him up and bringing him up to the real tailgate scene after that so he can see how we do it properly.  KU has some pretty girls, but poor bastard is gonna have to wear a blindfold under ski googles to avoid the glaring under-butt scene as we stroll around before kickoff.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Longboard Horn said:

We should spank OU again. They struggled with SMU(who isn't very good this season, they're on a rebuild year) and Cincy. OU's defense only looked good because it's Cincy and Emory Jones sucks. Wait until they play a better offense. Although Cincy's defense is a lot better than I thought. But still, if OU was "as improved" as the so called "experts" say, then they would have blown out Cincy by 4 TDs minimum. They'll get some points on us this year, but I still think we run away with it. 

Yeah. Anyone saying they thought zoU’s D looked good against cincy was watching a different game than me. Cincy is incompetent and stopped themselves more than OU having anything to do with it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Quinn's games at Texas ranked by ESPN's QBR metric, an EPA based metric that I think is useful 

2023 Baylor 96.2
2022 Bama 95.9
2022 OU 93.2
2023 Bama 91.9
2022 KSU 85.9
2022 ISU 81.8
2022 ULM 71.8
2022 WASH 68.9
2023 WYO 62.6
2022 KU 59.0
2023 RICE 53.3
2022 BAY 46.2
2022 OKST 40.6
2022 TCU 18.5

• Hook 'Em 1

A week to week QBR rankings of the Big XII and QBs on our schedule

Spoiler

Through one week

3) Dillon Gabriel- OU
4) Emory Jones- CIN
10) Jalen Milroe- ALA
19) John Rhys Plumlee- UCF
25) Jason Bean- KU
35) Andrew Peasley- WYO
43) Blake Shapen- BAY
48) Will Howard- KSU
49) Tyler Shough- TTU
51) Donovan Smith- HOU
57) Chandler Morris- TCU
60) Quinn Ewers- TEX
62) Garrett Greene- WVU
113) Kedon Slovis- BYU
117) Alan Bowman- OKST
122) JT Daniels- Rice

Through two weeks

6) Jalon Daniels- KU
16) Dillon Gabriel- OU
17) Emory Jones- CIN
23) Quinn Ewers- TEX
25) Andrew Peasley- WYO
26) Chandler Morris- TCU
27) Jalen Milroe- ALA
28) Will Howard- KSU
30) John Rhys Plumlee- UCF
39) Blake Shapen- BAY
41) Donovan Smith- HOU
47) JT Daniels- RICE
51) Tyler Shough- TTU
57) Garrett Greene- WVU
70) Kedon Slovis- BYU
82) Rocco Becht- ISU
110) Alan Bowman- OKST
117) Sawyer Robertson- BAY

Through three weeks (I didn't do non-con in this one)

3) Dillon Gabriel OU
22) Jalon Daniels KU
26) John Rhys Plumlee UCF
30) Quinn Ewers TEX
37) Emory Jones CIN
39) Will Howard KSU
41) Chandler Morris TCU
56) Kedon Slovis BYU
58) Tyler Shough TTU
60) Garrett Greene WVU
72) Rocco Becht ISU
86) Donovan Smith HOU