Israel-Hamas war thread

Brisketexan

1 hour ago, Boss Hogg said:

So I’m curious how the Israeli strategy evolves. An account from a vet that I won’t link said this would be a nightmare for ground troops to try to clear. Not sure how you go about it all. 

Fallujah Part 2: Hamas Boogaloo.

Edited by MissingInAction
I can't spell. Apologize for any disrespect to the soldiers who fought and died there.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

When I was a freshman in high school, one of our English class assignments was to "write a book."  The point being that the teacher wanted you to try to write a couple of chapters of something.  Being a 14 yr old who had gobbled up everything Clancy had written to date, as well as anything remotely like it, I decided to write a story with the following premise: POTUS visits San Antonio.  Terrorists in old -school surplus Hueys intercept the motorcade on an elevated highway; land on either end, with a gunship taking out Secret Service.  They snatch POTUS, and take him to......THE ALAMO, to make a real publicity splash.  

My written product never got past that point.  Which trust me, is very much for the best.  Even as I wrote it, I kept thinking "this sounded a lot cooler in my head, now that I'm writing it, it's shit."

And like that, "Action Novelist" ended up on the list of "careers that Brisket won't be able to pull off," right next to "skinny male fashion model" and "successful fishing guide who can actually catch fish."

I did something similar but plagiarized Red Dawn and switched my name with C. Thomas Howell's character.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

A story with a good reminder

I don’t want to talk about this, but considering current events, I’ll share something I saw in 2006 in Iraq. Understand that I hate discussing this. Not a single day goes by that I don’t think about it. One night our PL walks in the enlisted tent inside BIAP around 2300 and asks for volunteers. Being the crazy bastard I am, I immediately got up and began to put my armor on without saying a word. I grabbed the M249, a few extra belts, and some extra hand grenades and followed the LT to the motor pool where our M113 was waiting. We performed all our radio checks, fueled up, called in to HQ, and left the front gate. It was dark. Really dark. The air had an awful stench of burning trash and the water in the canals smelled of feces. A dead dog laid on the side of the road under a dimly lit street light outside the gate. It was very quiet. Like the world was dead. Perhaps it was in that moment. We proceeded to our objective. A small home with a humble adobe brick wall outside its perimeter with some very dim lights barely lighting up the courtyard. Out came a middle aged man, carrying a little girl who was screaming bloody murder. We brought her in the M113 where our medic immediately began to stabilize the wound on her right hand. Two of her fingers were missing just above the knuckle. She calmed down considerably once our medics took possession of her. We proceeded to take her back to BIAP to receiver proper treatment with the father riding along with us. I was pulling security with the M249 but I would occasionally glance back at the little girl who had a look of sorrow and desperation on her face. It felt routine but in some ways something wasn’t right. The following day, about a dozen 60mm mortars landed very close to our tents. Luckily nobody was hurt. We later learned that the father purposely cut his daughter’s fingers off so he could gain access to the FOB and collect intelligence. Not a single day goes by that I don’t see that little girls face. Not a day goes by that I don’t realize what that look was on the ride back. Not a single day goes by that I don’t wonder if she is still alive. Point is…never underestimate the lengths your enemy is willing to go to in order to destroy you. Never forget the innocents who are caught in the middle.

Am I the only one who thought your PL was going to have you help him load the dead dog and throw it into the adobe house later finding out said PL was Jewish? Glad I read all of it, war is truly hell on earth.
  • Fuck You 6

Can you upvote viper's post without making it look like you endorse what happened?  Because that is about the most fucked up thing I've ever read. JFC.

So very vivid in basically telling us the world is full of hate! Thank you Viper, for your service.

The world is truly a F’d up place, meant to harm one another for no apparent reason, but being different. It’s a shame we all share this Blue Marble of a world!

Hook’em!!!

11 minutes ago, Boss Hogg said:

Shit show

The book Rise and Shoot First addressed this. There is talk that Israel went our way for intelligence gathering. Instead of having a contact in the room the relied on tech. Sometimes the best sources are those no one anticipates. The dude with the food stand next door to HQ. 

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Best hope now is that they learn enough from it to stop it from ever happening again. 

They touched on this on the War on the Rocks podcast yesterday but there isn’t any “never happening again”.  One of the unfortunate consequences of choosing to live there is coming to terms with an uncertain security arrangement.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, blacklab said:

once again, let's keep this about news, not your hot takes, not others hot takes, not your opinions on other's hot takes, not discussion of what goes here or CR.

If you want to discuss if it belongs here or is or is not political start a thread in the board discussion.

If in doubt weather or not it's political it is political and post it in the CR thread. 

Do not argue about if it's CR or not in this thread. Please report posts that are political or off topic.

Yes Sir, but the big question is can you start a Carrier? 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Viper said:

A story with a good reminder

I don’t want to talk about this, but considering current events, I’ll share something I saw in 2006 in Iraq. Understand that I hate discussing this. Not a single day goes by that I don’t think about it. One night our PL walks in the enlisted tent inside BIAP around 2300 and asks for volunteers. Being the crazy bastard I am, I immediately got up and began to put my armor on without saying a word. I grabbed the M249, a few extra belts, and some extra hand grenades and followed the LT to the motor pool where our M113 was waiting. We performed all our radio checks, fueled up, called in to HQ, and left the front gate. It was dark. Really dark. The air had an awful stench of burning trash and the water in the canals smelled of feces. A dead dog laid on the side of the road under a dimly lit street light outside the gate. It was very quiet. Like the world was dead. Perhaps it was in that moment. We proceeded to our objective. A small home with a humble adobe brick wall outside its perimeter with some very dim lights barely lighting up the courtyard. Out came a middle aged man, carrying a little girl who was screaming bloody murder. We brought her in the M113 where our medic immediately began to stabilize the wound on her right hand. Two of her fingers were missing just above the knuckle. She calmed down considerably once our medics took possession of her. We proceeded to take her back to BIAP to receiver proper treatment with the father riding along with us. I was pulling security with the M249 but I would occasionally glance back at the little girl who had a look of sorrow and desperation on her face. It felt routine but in some ways something wasn’t right. The following day, about a dozen 60mm mortars landed very close to our tents. Luckily nobody was hurt. We later learned that the father purposely cut his daughter’s fingers off so he could gain access to the FOB and collect intelligence. Not a single day goes by that I don’t see that little girls face. Not a day goes by that I don’t realize what that look was on the ride back. Not a single day goes by that I don’t wonder if she is still alive. Point is…never underestimate the lengths your enemy is willing to go to in order to destroy you. Never forget the innocents who are caught in the middle.

That piece of shit “father” about 2 days ago:

https://reddit.com/r/CombatFootage/s/frUJnZjUx1

Edited by B00M
Bad joke AND I was late to post it, Fuck. Delete post, ban user
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, blacklab said:

once again, let's keep this about news, not your hot takes, not others hot takes, not your opinions on other's hot takes, not discussion of what goes here or CR.

If you want to discuss if it belongs here or is or is not political start a thread in the board discussion.

If in doubt weather or not it's political it is political and post it in the CR thread. 

Do not argue about if it's CR or not in this thread. Please report posts that are political or off topic.

Jesus Christ dad, we're just rough housing a little bit, there's no reason to flex on us

This makes sense to me 

That is total unmitigated fabricated bullshit.

Oh. Gee. We just wanted a seaport! Let’s hanglide into a music festival and give a few wedgies, grab a couple of people and take them on a joyride and see if we can make that happen wooooohoooeeee!
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

That is total unmitigated fabricated bullshit.

Oh. Gee. We just wanted a seaport! Let’s hanglide into a music festival and give a few wedgies, grab a couple of people and take them on a joyride and see if we can make that happen wooooohoooeeee!

I actually think there could be something to the fact that Hamas didn’t think they’d be NEARLY this “successful.” They wanted to kill and sow chaos. I doubt they thought they’d have free rein to maraud and kill/rape/kidnap for a day.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1