2023 World Series: Rangers vs Diamondbacks

Sir Ulrich

10 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

it’s not just this postseason, it’s the last three. going back to his final start of the 2021 postseason max has gone:

18.2 IP, 22 H, 16 ER, 7 HR, 7.71 ERA, 1.020 OPS

last night was actually statistically his best start since 2021, and as mentioned, he got some luck to avoid giving up any runs. he hasn’t been good in the playoffs for some time now.

his playoff performances the past few seasons (and in his career in general) are certainly deserving of some criticism. but to imply the rangers woes at points this season are due to scherzer is idiotic. the reason they sucked ass in august and early sept is because the bullpen sucked shit through a straw, eovaldi was on the DL and the bats disappeared.

the rangers most likely wouldn't be in the playoffs if it wasn't for him. 6 out of 8 quality starts and he was shoving in the TOR game when he got hurt. a game, which by the way, put the rangers back into a playoff spot they wouldn't relinquish.ScreenShot2023-10-31at1_40_18PM.thumb.png.cfb14359f88d7ad600e3827fe9605fbd.png

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, C-Man said:

Scherzer's numbers with the Rangers:

Screenshot2023-10-31at10_45_42AM.thumb.png.47a3c39ad9964a7a02a2baee11c4dc3b.png

4-2, 3.20 ERA in eight starts. 45 IP, allowed 28 hits and struck out 53. ERA+ of 140 and a WHIP of 0.956.

Yes, he's old. Yes, he's injury prone. But when he's healthy, he's still pretty salty.

47 minutes ago, Skipper said:

This.  That was an idiotic fucking post.  Dude hasn't been sharp this post season because he wasn't supposed to be back yet.   And he is only making "rehab starts" in the ALCS and WS because it's the best option we have.  

Are you both full blown REGARDED?

You are looking at his numbers against primarily AMERICAN League teams who had never seen him. 

Look at his numbers while pitching primarily against NATIONAL League teams while with the Mets. 

But the most useful stats are Recent Stats in the Playoffs… because those would be against the best teams  

HE IS PURE TRASH!

Look at the fucking stats!!

He may be very knowledgeable about opposing hitters and can help the staff game plan, so he isn’t completely useless, but the Rangers DO NOT WANT HIM PITCHING!

The Mets are paying him $30M+ next year NOT to pitch for them. They understand… and Bochy must by now as well.

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Napoleon said:

The Rangers were great this year, then they traded for Scherzer, and they sucked ass. Then Scherzer got hurt and they started playing well again.

nonsense.  where'd you get that hot take?  i know it wasn't from actually watching.  during that august and september stretch scherzer was the ONLY pitcher we had we could count on to consistently pitch well late into games.  our offense had died.  our bullpen was a dumpster fire.  this was the ashamedly the time i wished for jose leclerc to be shot into the sun.  every fifth day we breathed a sigh of relief knowing we had a real ace who could staunch the bleeding.  here are his innings and runs allowed for every start he made with us.

6/3, 7/1, 7/0, 3.2/3, 7/2, 6/0, 3/7, 5.1/0.

Citing my work

33cff5b13839c46a12d1f656bbc9bc74.jpg

Edited by gsoda3
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

57 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

nonsense.  where'd you get that hot take?  i know it wasn't from actually watching.  during that august and september stretch scherzer was the ONLY pitcher we had we could count on to consistently pitch well late into games.  our offense had died.  our bullpen was a dumpster fire.  this was the ashamedly the time i wished for jose leclerc to be shot into the sun.  every fifth day we breathed a sigh of relief knowing we had a real ace who could staunch the bleeding.  here are his innings and runs allowed for every start he made with us.

6/3, 7/1, 7/0, 3.2/3, 7/2, 6/0, 3/7, 5.1/0.

Citing my work

33cff5b13839c46a12d1f656bbc9bc74.jpg

I did not watch, nor even follow the Rangers this year until going to some game in August (maybe?)… I think that it was a Sunday and I know that we won. I learned that the pitch clock had made the game watchable again. We also hit home runs. Other than Seager, I didn’t know one player on the Rangers, but I started paying attention to the standings. 

…and we started slumping to the point that it looked like we wouldn’t make the playoffs.

Then Scherzer got hurt and we started winning again. 

He may have been our best pitcher, but he brought bad Mets ju-ju to Arlington.

”Bull Durham” taught the casuals that if you think that you are on a streak because of _________, then you are.

Now his production in the postseason since turning 38 is plain as day. He didn’t give up a run in 3 innings last night, but that was due to luck and luck in the 2nd. 

One of my best friends since grade school, who named his boy after a Rangers Baseball Hall of Famer, and who has lived in DC for 2+ decades absolutely loves Scherzer because back when he was 35 he was nails for the Nationals. 🤷‍♂️

I will go on record to say that “I would LOVE for 35 year-old Scherzer to pitch for the Rangers in this World Series.”

I just don’t want 39 year-old Scherzer to ever see the mound again this year.

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

I did not watch, nor even follow the Rangers this year until going to some game in August (maybe?)… I think that it was a Sunday and I know that we won. I learned that the pitch clock had made the game watchable again. We also hit home runs. Other than Seager, I didn’t know one player on the Rangers, but I started paying attention to the standings. 

…and we started slumping to the point that it looked like we wouldn’t make the playoffs.

”Bull Durham” taught the casuals that if you think that you are on a streak because of _________, then you are.

Now his production in the postseason since turning 38 is plain as day. He didn’t give up a run in 3 innings last night, but that was due to luck and luck in the 2nd. 

One of my best friends since grade school, who named his boy after a Rangers Baseball Hall of Famer, and who has lived in DC for 2+ decades absolutely loves Scherzer because back when he was 35 he was nails for the Nationals. 🤷‍♂️

I will go on record to say that “I would LOVE for 35 year-old Scherzer to pitch for the Rangers in this World Series.”

You should roll yourself back to July mode…

29 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Show me on the schedule where Mad Max has pitched well in the postseason since he has turned 38.

Ok, so let's really break this down. You're basing this off his last four appearances really -- the three he's made this year with the Rangers after coming back when nobody thought he'd be back. He had one postseason start in 2022 and was tagged for seven earned runs to the San Diego Padres in 4.2 innings.

Personally, I'd throw these three starts out because he hadn't pitched since 9/12 in the regular season. He's rusty and isn't able to be stretched out. Maybe this is the beginning of the end but this idea that he's garbage in the playoffs now is dumb. Before this year's injury-shortened campaign, he basically got beaten up the one start before that.

Screenshot2023-10-31at5_18_17PM.png.321900547ecbf42084b2c6a4fd7edbed.png

4 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Motherfucker, there is luck involved in every baseball game.  About 4 of Seager’s pop outs to shortstop in the ALCS would have been home runs had he not missed the ball by 1/8th an inch.  Yordan hits a HR against Bradford instead of a fly out of Leody doesn’t make the play of a lifetime.   

fucking luck is about 1/3 of the game in baseball.  

Edited by Trey3216
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

29 minutes ago, TejasPedro said:

2 things

Geico commercial: Why would it be a strike on Jr. for eating popcorn? Does he have diverticulitis? I can see the strike for a big salad. The leaf kicking, I loose my shit every time. 

Adolis García is that a roid injury?

We don’t know what you’re talking about.

🙈🙉🙊

1 hour ago, WBT said:

Nelson has looked good.  Maybe the sneks should have started their starting pitcher.  I hate bullpen games as a strategy.

It existed before then, but the Rays rode that strategy to the World Series in 2020 so it really took off league wide after that. 

3 seasons later, teams are starting to realize that there’s a big difference between doing it in a 60 game season with expanded pitching rosters and doing it in a 162 game season with normal rosters. Analytics are bearing out that it’s not a great strategy and it hurts your bullpen later in the year.