2023 World Series: Rangers vs Diamondbacks

Sir Ulrich

I've had to self talk my enthusiasm down.  Adolis basically is the pic we've been posting in the stros hate thread.  But he can't be counted on that forever.  Maybe he's Babe Ruth, but odds are against it.  You've got to prep yourself for some ordinary 5 for 30 line from him for this series.  If that's the case, it'll be a tough series.  If he continues what he's been doing, we win handily with some double digit scores in there.

9 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

Anyone with ESPN+ want to copy paste this?  I'm allergic to paying them money.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/38735152/2023-world-series-player-ranking-rangers-diamondbacks

Spoiler

The Texas Rangers and Arizona Diamondbacks didn't clinch playoff spots until the final weekend of the regular season -- and now they're meeting in the 2023 World Series.

But just because this is a surprising matchup doesn't mean there aren't stars on both sides, so let's look at the top players taking the field starting with Friday's Game 1 in Arlington.

Here's how we're looking at both rosters for the sake of this exercise: If MLB embraced fantasy draft mechanics and had the Rangers and Diamondbacks re-draft their teams for the World Series, which players would go first?

Given how sample sizes and projections work in baseball, you'd generally rather have the best overall player than one who is hot right now -- but recent performance is a clear factor and usually serves as a tiebreaker.

Now, let's rank all 52 players in this World Series -- from a group of elite sluggers to the backups for both squads.

Elite players

1. Corey Seager, SS, Rangers
Seager is a superstar who just had his best regular season by posting 6.1 fWAR and hitting 69% better than league average. He is performing even better than that in the postseason this year, hitting 102% above league average. He's also a lefty hitter and average defensive shortstop: the complete package.

2. Corbin Carroll, RF, Diamondbacks
Corbin narrowly misses out on the top spot in a rookie season for the ages. He posted 6.0 WAR, contributing in all phases with his electric, plus-plus tools producing 25 homers, 54 stolen bases and a .285 batting average. Carroll also blew away the league in FanGraphs' baserunning metric, encompassing all actions on the basepaths, at least doubling the runs produced of all but three players in the league.

3. Adolis Garcia, RF, Rangers
Garcia was a tools-heavy washed-out prospect to start the 2021 season. He's posted 3.0, 3.6 and 4.8 WAR in the three seasons since then and has been red-hot this postseason, hitting 95% above league average. He's also an above average defender in right field. Garcia's never hit over .250 and has some swing-and-miss to his game, but that's not an issue until it is.

4. Ketel Marte, 2B, Diamondbacks
Marte won NLCS MVP and has had one of the best overall postseason performances, right there with this top tier of position players. He also performed well this regular season, playing an average second base (while also backing up shortstop and center field) and hitting 25 homers.

5. Marcus Semien, 2B, Rangers
Semien was a tricky evaluation early in his career, topping 3.0 WAR only one time in his 20s. In his 30s, he posted 6.3, 4.0 and 6.3 WAR seasons and picked up a seven year, $175 million deal along the way. He hasn't been that good in the postseason in terms of impact but has grinded out solid at-bats and could turn it on at any time.

6. Zac Gallen, RHP, Diamondbacks
Gallen will get some NL Cy Young votes due to his standout regular season, above average by nearly every measure. He's been a notch worse in terms of outcomes this postseason, but I'd count on a bounce-back.

Very good players

7. Josh Jung, 3B, Rangers
Jung missed six weeks with a broken thumb but was on pace to post a three-win rookie season if he stayed healthy all year. He's been solid in the postseason, hitting 38% above league average and providing solid defense at the hot corner.

8. Evan Carter, LF, Rangers
Carter was the highest "I don't know who that is" draft pick in recent memory, going in the second round in the 2020 draft out of high school despite not being on any public rankings on draft day and not being turned in by a number of teams. He flew through the minors, debuting late this season and performing excellently -- buoyed by top-tier pitch selection and center field-caliber defense -- in 23 regular season games and 12 postseason ones.

9. Nate Eovaldi, RHP, Rangers
Eovaldi is a proven playoff performer, with 69 innings at a 2.87 ERA and comparable peripherals. He was good again this season but has picked it up a notch in the postseason, as has been true for his career.

10. Jonah Heim, C, Rangers
Heim was acquired from Oakland right after his big league debut and has grown into one of the better catchers in baseball. He's a standout framer and an above-average overall defender who produces average power at the plate. Heim doesn't hit for much average and has been just OK at the plate in the postseason, but he has solid at-bats.

11. Gabriel Moreno, C, Diamondbacks
Moreno was acquired in the winter from Toronto along with Lourdes Gurriel Jr. in exchange for Daulton Varsho, a trade that's been solid for both teams, but I'd wager Arizona will win this deal in the long-term thanks to Moreno. He's an excellent hitter, defender and athlete, who also has strong at-bats and enough power to keep pitchers honest.

12. Paul Sewald, RHP, Diamondbacks
Sewald was acquired from Seattle at the trade deadline for three prospects and has been a postseason revelation as Arizona's closer. He had a pretty middling career until 2021, his age-31 season, when his flat-approach-angle fastball became a true weapon.

13. Jordan Montgomery, LHP, Rangers
Montgomery has average velocity for a lefty starter at 93.4 mph, but the movement profile makes it play more like a pitch-to-contact pitch. He relies on a deceptive curveball as his go-to pitch, throwing it 22% of the time. This sort of approach tends to play a bit worse in the playoffs (i.e. more balls in play means more left to luck than power/strikeout pitchers), but he's a solid No. 2 starter for a playoff club.

14. Merrill Kelly, RHP, Diamondbacks
Kelly has a lot of similarities to Montgomery as a solid-not-spectacular veteran starter with ordinary velocity that relies more on guile and offspeed pitches than power.

15. Christian Walker, 1B, Diamondbacks
On the other end of the power spectrum, Walker has hit 70 homers over the last two seasons, largely hitting cleanup for Arizona.

16. Mitch Garver, C, Rangers
Garver is a mostly-DH who is also the backup catcher, but his standout skill is at the plate rather than behind it. He has plus power and draws some walks, which has been working this season. He hit 38% above league average in the regular season and is 45% above in the postseason.

17. Kevin Ginkel, RHP, Diamondbacks
Ginkel functions as the setup man for Sewald, giving Arizona the clear top two relievers in this series, which could be a key factor.

18. Brandon Pfaadt, RHP, Diamondbacks
Pfaadt was a hyped rookie who was terrible to start the season and was optioned to Triple-A, but he found his stride late, looking like a solid mid-rotation type as the regular season ended. He's been excellent in the postseason, which may be a springboard for a breakout 2024 campaign.

19. Leody Taveras, CF, Rangers
Taveras, who turned 25 in September, is a longtime standout prospect who just got his feet under him as a solid everyday player this season. He's average to a bit above average in all phases: hitting, hitting for power, defending in center field and baserunning.

20. Max Scherzer, RHP, Rangers
Scherzer was good this season but not up to his usual fantastic standard. He also hasn't been that good in his two playoff appearances, but I'm not ready to count him out just yet.

Solid players

21. Geraldo Perdomo, SS, Diamondbacks
Perdomo is a strong runner, baserunner and defender with a good approach at the plate but hits for fringy average and power, though he's hit two homers this postseason.

22. Alek Thomas, CF, Diamondbacks
Thomas was a well-regarded Top-100 prospect who's been a bit disappointing at the plate in the big leagues so far, but he's caught fire in the postseason, hitting four homers. He's a plus runner and plus defender in center field who may grow into his above-average offensive potential.

23. Lourdes Gurriel Jr., LF, Diamondbacks
Gurriel is set to become a free agent this winter coming off of a career-high 2.1 WAR and 24 homers in the regular season, though he's been a bit worse than that in the postseason thus far.

24. Nathaniel Lowe, 1B, Rangers
Lowe finished ice cold with a .539 OPS in 29 games in September/October but rebounded a bit with a .698 OPS in the postseason. His strikeout rate has been a worry late in the season, but he's been a reliably above-average hitter his whole big league career.

25. Tommy Pham, DH, Diamondbacks
Pham is a journeyman corner outfielder Arizona acquired from the Mets at the deadline this season. He drastically underperformed his expected stats (i.e. had bad luck on batted-ball outcomes) and hasn't been that good in the postseason thus far.

26. Aroldis Chapman, LHP, Rangers
He still sits in the upper-90s, tickles triple digits and has pitched in some huge moments throughout his career. But he has been a rollercoaster to watch this postseason.

27. Evan Longoria, 3B, Diamondbacks
Longoria will get some Hall of Fame votes when his time comes on the ballot and is still a useful player at age 38, with above-average power and average defense at the hot corner.

28. Andrew Heaney, LHP, Rangers
Heaney finished the season on a cold streak and is now the fourth starter who may function as more of a long reliever in this series.

29. Jon Gray, RHP, Rangers
Gray also finished the regular season on a cold streak, eventually going on the IL with a forearm issue. He returned in the ALCS to throw one inning and could be more of a factor in the World Series.

30. Jose Leclerc, RHP, Rangers
Leclerc and Chapman have both been an adventure this season, but still form the backend of the Texas pen.

31. Josh Sborz, RHP, Rangers
Sborz has been pretty good this year, but not the lockdown type you've seen from Arizona and Philadelphia late in games.

32. Robbie Grossman, LF, Rangers
Grossman platoons with Evan Carter and is a solid fourth outfielder.

33. Emmanuel Rivera, 3B, Diamondbacks
Rivera platoons as a third baseman but still hasn't quite had that big league breakout season yet.

34. Will Smith, LHP, Rangers
Smith is a 34-year-old veteran lefty reliever with playoff experience who throws a lot of sliders, slotting behind Chapman among lefties in the Texas bullpen.

Role players

35. Ryan Thompson, RHP, Diamondbacks
Thompson is another sinker/slider righty reliever for Arizona but sits 90-94 mph from a sidearm slot that creates the sink for an extreme groundball rate.

36. Miguel Castro, RHP, Diamondbacks
Castro is a hard-throwing (96-98 mph) sinker/slider reliever with below-average command.

37. Martin Perez, LHP, Rangers
38. Dane Dunning, RHP, Rangers
Perez and Dunning made a combined 46 regular season starts for the Rangers this season but are exactly the kind of innings-eating types who often get squeezed out of a playoff staff. Both are in the middle/long relief role but are behind Gray and Heaney in the pecking order. Perez gets the nod over Dunning by being a lefty.

39. Joe Mantiply, LHP, Diamondbacks
Mantiply is a sinker/slider lefty reliever who sits around 90 mph. He also opened one playoff game for Arizona this postseason.

40. Travis Jankowski, CF, Rangers
Jankowski is a solid fourth outfielder who offers standout defense and good at-bats but limited power.

41. Pavin Smith, RF, Diamondbacks
Smith is a solid lefty bench bat who can play first or either outfield corner.

42. Andrew Saalfrank, LHP, Diamondbacks
Saalfrank made his big league debut in September as a 25-year-old and now has made eight playoff appearances, buoyed by a solid sinker.

43. Chris Stratton, RHP, Rangers
Stratton was acquired from St. Louis at the deadline with Montgomery and is a solid righty middle reliever who often gets squeezed out of innings given the set playoff relief roles.

44. Slade Cecconi, RHP, Diamondbacks
As a prospect, Cecconi would occasionally give a front-of-the-rotation look, with an upper-90s heater and plus slider, but he debuted this year as more of a back-end starter with solid average raw stuff and will be a utility arm in this series.

45. Kyle Nelson, LHP, Diamondbacks
Nelson is a solid lefty reliever who throws a lot of sliders.

46. Jordan Lawlar, SS, Diamondbacks
The 21-year-old Lawlar is one of the top prospects in baseball as a plus runner and defender at shortstop with 20-plus homer upside. He made his big league debut late in the season. He's basically just a defensive replacement for this series, but could be an All-Star one day.

47. Cody Bradford, LHP, Rangers
Bradford is a finesse lefty who was used in a spot-start/swing role for the Rangers this season. His breaking ball is his worst pitch, so he's more of a long reliever than a matchup lefty reliever.

48. Josh Smith, 2B, Rangers
Smith was acquired from the Yankees in the Joey Gallo deal. He is a solid second base/left field option with a strong hit tool and good approach, but he lacks impact.

49. Ryne Nelson, RHP, Diamondbacks
Nelson had some positive buzz leading into his rookie season but was merely a fine fifth starter who's now in a long relief role.

50. Jose Herrera, C, Diamondbacks
Herrera is a patient, underpowered backup catcher.

51. Luis Frias, RHP, Diamondbacks
The rookie righty throws almost entirely mid-90s fastballs with below-average command.

52. Austin Hedges, C, Rangers
The veteran defense-first catcher is behind Heim and Garver and hasn't registered an at-bat this postseason.

9 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

yeah.  just content they're obligated to pump out.  they cut the good stuff with so much baby formula it hardly makes you feel anything, but even a slight buzz is something.

i did creed karaoke last night.  never done that before.  still riding high.  one more day!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have this sneaking suspicion whoever wins game 1 wins the series.  The Rangers have taken the first game in every series and have not lost a Montgomery/Eovaldi start in the first two games of any of the three thus far.  Going in to the Max Scherzer experience tied 1-1 or worse down 0-2 would be pretty foreboding.  

Also hope Heim is ready.  The Dbacks clearly got their small ball on.  

Edited by Surly Bevo

On 10/25/2023 at 11:24 AM, Pato del Muerto said:

I think the day off was crucial in getting right mentally. ‘11 didn’t have that.  Same applies to the time between Seattle and tampa. 

Having Bochy as the manager was just as crucial.

5 hours ago, Scraps said:
7 hours ago, Helobious said:
First WS since 2016 without the Astros or dodgers. All is right in the world. 

Don't forget 14th straight one without the Yankees

Maybe once the Rangers and Astros get to 10 combined since 2009 the Yankees will make it back. 

• Like 1

On 10/26/2023 at 9:02 AM, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

I've had to self talk my enthusiasm down.  Adolis basically is the pic we've been posting in the stros hate thread.  But he can't be counted on that forever.  Maybe he's Babe Ruth, but odds are against it.  You've got to prep yourself for some ordinary 5 for 30 line from him for this series.  If that's the case, it'll be a tough series.  If he continues what he's been doing, we win handily with some double digit scores in there.

Great teams aren't one trick ponies, and neither are the Rangers.  Adolis is hardly the only big thumper in the lineup.

All players get hotter'n'hell and cool off again.  Who's the next guy up and will they do it in the next 2 weeks?

Just now, slorch said:

Great teams aren't one trick ponies, and neither are the Rangers.  Adolis is hardly the only big thumper in the lineup.

All players get hotter'n'hell and cool off again.  Who's the next guy up and will they do it in the next 2 weeks?

My prediction: Seager

On 10/25/2023 at 10:00 AM, Vic Mackey said:

I was kind of content with 2010. The magical ride was fun. Striking out A-Rod at the Ballpark to get to our first ever WS. Our bats went cold all series against SF.

2011 was the complete opposite, though. WS was an expectation, not a wishful goal. The rollercoaster of game 6 was unlike anything I've experienced in my sports history. Go up 3 in the later innings, David Freese in the 9th after one strike away. But then follow that back up to go up 2 runs from Josh Hamilton.  HE completely erased the Freese-Cruz play. Then blow it again very next half inning and lose in the 11th. Being one strike away twice. I was drunk as hell for the end of that game. I think I sat on the nasty ass bar floor in disbelief when it ended. 

This year would erase that for me and I would forever be happy. Mavs got their redemption in 2011 from the 2006 meltdown. Need the Rangers to do the same.

This will go a long way to erasing that, but it’ll never totally go away. The worst professional team loss of my lifetime. Like the ‘08 Tech loss. It is the defining snatching defeat from the jaws of victory moment for me. 

• Like 1

This will go a long way to erasing that, but it’ll never totally go away. The worst professional team loss of my lifetime. Like the ‘08 Tech loss. It is the defining snatching defeat from the jaws of victory moment for me. 
Yeah for sure. It's just easier to deal with it if you have a World Series win to fall back on. 2006 for Mavs is more bearable to deal with since they got redemption in 2011. Granted theirs was only 5 years later, so less time to stew on it than the 12 years it took the Rangers to get back for a shot at redemption.

I would finally be able to bury that deeper if the Rangers can win it all this year.