Week 9, 2023: Kansas State @ Texas

Wulaw Horn

4 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Never seen a team get more hype from beating 3-5 Tech, 4-4 TCU, and 3-5 Houston.

The last 2 being at home. Lost at Mizzou and at Ok State (2 teams with a pulse they faced)

Not saying it means we win, bc every game is different. But to act like KSU is some undefeated juggernaut destroying teams on the road is just flat wrong 

The line (Texas -5/5.5) sounds right

Edited by Js1

16 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Texas -5.5 per CBS Sports

kstate ranked #25, okie lite just missed at #26, jayhawks #22

F9oDhogXgAEjegK?format=jpg&name=900x900

OTHERS RECEIVING VOTES:

Oklahoma St. 77, North Carolina 54, Liberty 47, Fresno St. 16, Miami 11, Arizona 6, Toledo 3, Rutgers 2.

Edited by LTtxfan

3 minutes ago, ryskey said:

image.thumb.png.091241bd963ee132bc36ee9702daf762.png

Crazy their 5 game win streak includes 2 games during our prime era (06/07) and a decent 2012 (9-4) and our 6 game win streak includes some of our worst teams (2017, 2021) outside of the Strong years 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Their coach doesn't really play that card.  He's just a solid coach who teaches blocking and tackling and attacking the opponents weakness. 

Must be why he’s never beaten Texas - 3 point loss, 38 point loss, 5 point loss, 7 point loss 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Crazy their 5 game win streak includes 2 games during our prime era (06/07) and a decent 2012 (9-4) and our 6 game win streak includes some of our worst teams (2017, 2021) outside of the Strong years 

Also the 06/07 was with Prince ruining what Synder built. Those were bad KSU teams. Twas weird. 
chris Simms had a really gutty win against them.  

Edited by Wulaw Horn

6 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Also the 06/07 was with Prince ruining what Synder built. Those were bad KSU teams. Twas weird. 

I’d say our KSU Big 12 rivalry has been weird as hell and very swingy and I’m going to miss it. One time I would be okay with playing down the road in the non-conference. 

• Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

The 02 win @ KSU is one of the most underrated wins of that era.  That was a really good KSU team.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Native Horn said:

If you're planning on going to the game, I suggest you get there by 11:00.

But, your point is taken.

I mean fuck when are we going to get a home night game this shit is garbage every home kick is early. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Styles make fights, and we have matched up well with Kansas State’s style of play the last 6 years. They want to win in the trenches and we match up well there. They are also undersized on the DL which is why we have run it down their throat the last two years. Their best LB is out for the season and they haven’t played an offense that can test them on that since he went down.

Howard or Johnson don’t scare you throwing the ball and none of their skill guys are going to get behind the defense consistently. It’s all about containing the running game and having an answer for the 3-3-5.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

This is going to be a tough game.  I listened to some Siriux XM this morning and discussion was can Texas beat KSU with MM at QB.  That is going to be the narrative all week for sure.   I do like that everyone in the country will talk about Texas being on "upset alert" all week.  I feel like we tend to play better under those circumstances.  
Do we have any kind of post game injury report for the D?
No injuries per Bobby/Gerry this am on the live stream.
  • Hook 'Em 5

7 minutes ago, Mother mopar said:
6 hours ago, Skipper said:
This is going to be a tough game.  I listened to some Siriux XM this morning and discussion was can Texas beat KSU with MM at QB.  That is going to be the narrative all week for sure.   I do like that everyone in the country will talk about Texas being on "upset alert" all week.  I feel like we tend to play better under those circumstances.  
Do we have any kind of post game injury report for the D?

No injuries per Bobby/Gerry this am on the live stream.

Seeing Jett Bush and Alfred Collins playing without any noticeable limitations was very gruntling.

• Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

I seem to remember a game in bitch apple, in the rain, where Corey Redding earned his stripes.

Simms was throwing and Shon Mitchell was running?

Probably a fever dream during the humidity yesterday.

Pretty sure Shon took handoffs from some combo of James Brown and maybe Shea Morenz.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Styles make fights, and we have matched up well with Kansas State’s style of play the last 6 years. They want to win in the trenches and we match up well there. They are also undersized on the DL which is why we have run it down their throat the last two years. Their best LB is out for the season and they haven’t played an offense that can test them on that since he went down.

Howard or Johnson don’t scare you throwing the ball and none of their skill guys are going to get behind the defense consistently. It’s all about containing the running game and having an answer for the 3-3-5.

Oh you lined up in 3-3-5?

Here's a delay/draw play run right up your ass for 8 yards every play. 

Oh you are bringing the heat?

Here's an RPO slant to AD for 25 yds. 

On defense there needs to be a sense of urgency taking away the fucking ball again. 

Anthony Hill has been a beast and Ford has been quietly just stacking up tackles. We need Finkley and Sorrel to feast. 

• Hook 'Em 2

The last 2 being at home. Lost at Mizzou and at Ok State (2 teams with a pulse they faced)
Not saying it means we win, bc every game is different. But to act like KSU is some undefeated juggernaut destroying teams on the road is just flat wrong 
The line (Texas -5/5.5) sounds right

They definitely aren’t. They are a pretty good team who seems to have gotten things right and look more like what was expected of them preseason after changing up the QB dynamic. I don’t think their defense is anything to write home about but their offense will present a lot of problems for Texas with the QB run game.

I’d feel better if Ewers were healthy but alas, here we are. It wouldn’t surprise me if Texas win but they are going to have to play and call a cleaner game than they have since Alabama.

KSU is 1-2 on the road and were losing 21-17 at Tech until Tech’s third team QB threw picks on three straight possessions.

Good thing Texas isn’t starting an extremely inexperienced backup who put the ball in danger several times in his first start, right?
Except those other games weren't their Superbowl.

I don’t know if they do that in the same way Tech or Houston or whoever does, but look at their schedule. Going back to the preseason the expectation is that this would be a very important game for determining how the top of the conference standings shake out. I’m sure their staff has had it circled. It also stood out for the Texas side but I don’t know that there is a lot left to roll out in terms of new wrinkles between having already played Alabama and OU and losing Ewers.
  • Hook 'Em 2

14 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

That 2002 game was intense.  Roy was hurt. We did very little on offense.  Marcus Tubbs blocked a field goal attempt late where K State was attempting to tie it.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Good thing Texas isn’t starting an extremely inexperienced backup who put the ball in danger several times in his first start, right?

That's right,  we're starting a Qb that has never lost a college game as a starter.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, texifornia said:

It's the Big XII Fox tie in, they put their prestige game at noon ET. Stops being an issue next year.

I honestly can’t wait. The Fox Big Noon game is the worst broadcast of the weekend - it always goes long, there are a ridiculous amount of commercials, and the timing is always a pain in the ass to get ready for. 

53 minutes ago, GabrielsHorn said:

I honestly can’t wait. The Fox Big Noon game is the worst broadcast of the weekend - it always goes long, there are a ridiculous amount of commercials, and the timing is always a pain in the ass to get ready for. 

yeah for those going, Kickoff wont be until 11:20, they milk the transition from the set to the announcers back to the studio for forever.

Edited by jdhorn92

1 hour ago, jdhorn92 said:

yeah for those going, Kickoff wont be until 11:20, they milk the transition from the set to the announcers back to the studio for forever.

loathe the Fox broadcasts.  

Just fucking start the game on time, not 15-20 minutes later so you can fit in more commercials. 

On 10/29/2023 at 2:29 PM, gmr548 said:

-5 was the number I saw. I figured it would be better 3 and 7. I think it’s too generous given the QB situation. 

Vegas doesn't think K-State is a world-beater. 

They've played 2 P5 teams over .500 and lost both games. The hype they've built in the last 3 weeks is against 3-5 Tech (a game they might have lost if not for Tech's 3rd string QB), 4-4 TCU, and 3-5 Houston. 

2/3 of those were at home too. I can see why Vegas isn't a believer. 

1 hour ago, jdhorn92 said:

This explains why Fox starts their second game at 3:00 rather than 2:30 like the other channels.

• Hook 'Em 1