THE College Football Playoff Rankings Thread [MICH,WASH,TEX,ALA]

texifornia

3 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

one thing Texas has going for it is we prevent potential rematches.

Sort of.  The only potential rematch left on the table with any decent probability is Bama vs. Texas (and the chance of that is still pretty small).  But yeah, the "immediate" rematches we've seen in the past aren't gonna happen this year unless it's total chaos.  tOSU already had their "playoff" game and UGA will have it this weekend.  There's a good chance that tOSU will be ranked above us on Tuesday (and people will lose their minds), but that's pending until champs being determined the following weekend.     

• Hook 'Em 1

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’ll say I’m coming around to the idea that Texas could jump Oregon if - and only if - Alabama beats Georgia. It would be hard to keep Alabama’s body of work out of the top four there and perhaps the increased value of Texas’s win at Bama vaults them over Oregon, who could be the one left holding the bag due to lower SOS.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, bullet said:

Sagarin SOS:

Washington 26

Michigan 55

Georgia 56

FSU 66

Texas 2

Alabama 15

Ohio St. 31

Oregon 52

ESPN's FPI is a total crock.

Either way you cut it, Oregon is a huge outlier among the 1 loss teams 

I am not sure Sagarin is up to date. Michigan looks a low after OSU and PSU in back to back weeks 

26 minutes ago, Jewish Wang said:

To the point about Oregon beating UW and my argument that that could come back to haunt us. Look at this web site. It’s literally the only scenario generator I can find, since 538 stopped doing it, which is shocking. They have their own rankings, which ranks us more favorably, and predict how committee will vote. I have no idea how legitimate this site is and I’m looking for resources. Interestingly, they have Oregon, FSU, Texas and tOSU at 4-7 come Tuesday:

https://playoffpredictor.com/currentPredictedRankings.php

I fooled around with 2 scenarios - both with FSU / Bama losing and UM winning, and 1 each with UW/Oregon winning.  With UW winning, we’re in.  With Oregon winning, we’re out  

image.pngimage.thumb.png.fbc34786eb3aeb66c3fe6ff706ffb9f1.png

You can throw whatever prediction this site makes straight into the garbage. 

garbage.JPG

Edited by Hmbre97
  • Haha 1

Just now, gmr548 said:

I’ll say I’m coming around to the idea that Texas could jump Oregon if - and only if - Alabama beats Georgia. It would be hard to keep Alabama’s body of work out of the top four there and perhaps the increased value of Texas’s win at Bama vaults them over Oregon, who could be the one left holding the bag due to lower SOS.

That has always been my thinking. Texas could still get screwed, but that is best possible resume for Texas. The best possible thing for Texas is multiple undefeated teams lose next weekend 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, 89Horn said:

Look, it really is not that difficult.  A “guideline” is a general recommendation.  It’s not a requirement.  See the clip below from Pirates of the Caribbean for help and understanding. Go to the 25 second mark.

Here are two hypothetical examples of the use of a “guideline” and mandatory, no exceptions criteria.  See if you can figure out which is which.

In making its selection determination -

the committee considers whether a one loss candidate school is its conference champion in comparison to one or more one loss candidate schools that are not their respective conference champions.

compare with

the committee shall select a one loss conference champion candidate school over a one loss non-conference champion candidate school.

I can’t break it down any simpler.

a832080c-9757-4394-b3d9-25955d07bc68_tex

To the point about Oregon beating UW and my argument that that could come back to haunt us. Look at this web site. It’s literally the only scenario generator I can find, since 538 stopped doing it, which is shocking. They have their own rankings, which ranks us more favorably, and predict how committee will vote. I have no idea how legitimate this site is and I’m looking for resources. Interestingly, they have Oregon, FSU, Texas and tOSU at 4-7 come Tuesday:
I fooled around with 2 scenarios - both with FSU / Bama losing and UM winning, and 1 each with UW/Oregon winning.  With UW winning, we’re in.  With Oregon winning, we’re out  

image.thumb.png.327d5f0a769b974d431f0e979a5392ba.pngimage.thumb.png.fbc34786eb3aeb66c3fe6ff706ffb9f1.png

Honestly, if UW-Oregon is another last possession/play type finish with Oregon in the right side of it this time, and the rest of the ganes go as outlined, I do think that is logically consistent from where their rankings are likely to be this week. And yet I think there’s zero chance 12-1 Washington gets in over Texas.

What a dumb sport lol

10 minutes ago, blutow said:

Sort of.  The only potential rematch left on the table with any decent probability is Bama vs. Texas (and the chance of that is still pretty small).  But yeah, the "immediate" rematches we've seen in the past aren't gonna happen this year unless it's total chaos.  tOSU already had their "playoff" game and UGA will have it this weekend.  There's a good chance that tOSU will be ranked above us on Tuesday (and people will lose their minds), but that's pending until champs being determined the following weekend.     

sorry should have said immediate in conf rematches.  yes there is a chance of both Texas and Bama making it but with all the smoke around, well Bama of Sept is not Bama of Dec that rematch shouldn't matter.  Although the Bama miracle to beat Auburn should have ended that discussion.  They are basically the same team.

• Hook 'Em 1

That has always been my thinking. Texas could still get screwed, but that is best possible resume for Texas. The best possible thing for Texas is multiple undefeated teams lose next weekend 

FSU losing is still the path of least resistance for Texas. SEC, Michigan, PAC, Texas. Easy four that no one really argues with. Makes other results basically irrelevant.

18 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

OU dropped below us after they lost to Kansas even though they had the same record as us and won the H2H. Why do you think that is? Perhaps other games matter too? The committee considers a lot of stuff including H2H but it's not always the deciding factor.

I've seen more than one SEC fan say 1-loss 'bama should be ranked higher than 1-loss Texas because their loss was "better".  Think about that for a minute.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

4 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I've seen more than one SEC fan say 1-loss 'bama should be ranked higher than 1-loss Texas because their loss was "better".  Think about that for a minute.

I mean different system but it basically worked for OU.  The world today seems to be a place where one can speak crazy ass illogical things into existence so I guess if I were on that side of the equation why the hell not? 

Should have one upped them and retorted, “but Texas lost to the team that beat the team that beat Bama”
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

I still fully believe that had we scrapped our way to a bunch of narrow B12 wins instead of front-running to big leads and then being on the verge of choke after choke, we'd be more favorably viewed by many people. Other Top 10 teams have had some games that perhaps  looked "guttier" than ours because they scored late to pul out wins. Their performances weren't necessarily better than ours, but their wins seemed more clutch.

I realize 2021 is ancient history, but I wouldn't be shocked if committee members who saw us fade week after week back then think Texas still just isn't good enough to put away mediocre teams. That wouldn't be relevant to this year's squad, of course, but in a close call, Sark and company might not get the benefit of the doubt. 

20 hours ago, Texas Wahoo said:

They explicitly consider injuries. It’s a different committee, but I remember when they left Cincinnati off of the top line in the bball tourney because their best player got injured late, even though they were clearly the best team. 

Kenyon Martin?  If so, that was 23 years ago.

49 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Yea with Georgia and bama and auburn and then throw in rivalry games of ou and aggy I wouldn’t schedule anyone else. If the committee wanted those games and awarded Texas for beating bama by almost 2 tds instead of Oregon impressive last second win over tech then we should schedule those games. But they don’t. 

But a big part of Texas’ argument right now is the OOC win over Bama. If we had played UTSA that weekend on FS1 and beat them easily, do you think our chances of making the playoff as they stand today would be better or worse?

2 minutes ago, tokamak said:

But a big part of Texas’ argument right now is the OOC win over Bama. If we had played UTSA that weekend on FS1 and beat them easily, do you think our chances of making the playoff as they stand today would be better or worse?

we would still have a better SOS than Oregon.  who did Oregon play OOC?

12 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

I still fully believe that had we scrapped our way to a bunch of narrow B12 wins instead of front-running to big leads and then being on the verge of choke after choke, we'd be more favorably viewed by many people.

How many times would you say that happened?

• Hook 'Em 1

What the fuck is this Ohio state ahead of us in the AP shit? Let’s just play them on Jan 1. Shove their faces in their own dookie and be done with it. Fuck the rest of this shit. 

if the committee pulls that crap fuck em. 

Edited by troph

2 hours ago, dcar00 said:

there is and has never been any reason to schedule tough out of conference games.  The poll era and committee's have proven this over and over again.  you just need to make sure you go 3-0 in OOC.  they lie all the time about body of work/SOS

FWIW I hope we continue to play big OOC games. Fuck the playoffs, it makes for more entertainment and helps recruiting. 

1 hour ago, BurgleBro said:

Why do they have Tulane being a thing??? In what world does the best team left out of the playoffs play the 17th ranked team overall???

If we're left out I hope we don't play this like UGA in '18. 

We're 11-1. I refuse to be upset about anything college football related.

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I think it's appropriate to rank losses.  Losing to a shitty team vs. a highly ranked team should play into things, but it's certainly not something that should trump a head to head (and OU is still ranked, so not that bad of a loss in this situation).  

Bama has had more than their fair share of success, but I sort of feel for them if they ended up excluded as a conference champ because they had the balls to schedule a real team OOC instead of a cupcake.  They deserve a playoff spot as an SEC champ with a win over Georgia, but I'd still say Texas is more deserving based on the head to head.  Again, that's why Bama win (and FSU win) is worst case for the committee and why I think a Bama win could drag Texas along with them and leave out champ Oregon or undefeated FSU (who would both also be very deserving as well).  A one-loss team is going to get really fucked next weekend if Bama/FSU/Oregon/Texas/Michigan all win.  It's just a shitty situation with so many deserving teams that all have a pretty good case, but no clear rules dictating who goes.    

Edited by blutow

21 minutes ago, blutow said:

A one-loss team is going to get really fucked next weekend if Bama/FSU/Oregon/Texas/Michigan all win

In that scenario, Texas or Oregon will be out. There is no world where the SEC champ Bama doesn't get in with just one loss. Sure we have the H2H advantage but so did OU against us when they were ranked below after their Kansas loss. The committee will consider the entire body of work, not just h2h and come to the conclusion that the SEC champ deserves to get in before the Big 12 champ.

Edited by UTEE97

1 hour ago, Codaxx said:

It’s true, but encouraging poor scheduling is terrible for College football fans and the game. Here is SOS currently 

undefeated teams:

1. Michigan (sos 36)
2. Washington ( 46)
3. FSU (56)
4. Georgia (59)

1 loss:
5. OSU (6)
6. Texas (13)
7. Bama (31)
8. Oregon (61)

Committee may completely reverse the SOS rankings of 1 loss teams, which is pretty crazy. 

What schedule rankiing is that? Texas SoS is #2 in both Sagarin and Massey. 

In that scenario, Texas or Oregon will be out. There is no world where the SEC champ Bama doesn't get in with just one loss. Sure we have the H2H advantage but so did OU against us when they were ranked below after their Kansas loss. The committee will consider the entire body of work, not just h2h and come to the conclusion that the SEC champ deserves to get in before the Big 12 champ.
Agreed. No way in hell the committee leaves out the SEC no matter what happens. Winner of that game gets in no question. I'd rather Georgia wins so no funny shit with trying to squeeze in both. Bama losing and they are 100% out.

We need Louisville to beat FSU or Iowa to beat Michigan and we are in no doubt. The rest won't matter.
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Jewish Wang said:

The idea that Washington loses and we are behind them (presuming we win) is absurd and you should feel bad for linking that nonsense. 

• Hook 'Em 2

We need to win and Louisville to win.  Like it or not folks gotta wrap their head around our win will be over OSU with their 3 losses, one of them to South Alabama and another to UCF.   If Oregon wins they are beating an undefeated Top 4 Washington and if Bama wins they are beating a Georgia team who last lost in December 2021.  Those closing statements would be really really really hard to ignore.  

Get on the Cardinal Train

image.png.f2f23aab3c02edfe75c81d9c351a7532.png

• Hook 'Em 2

When it’s all said and done the only way we get in 100% is if fsu loses.

Oregon/Wash goes
Controversial but bama/UGA goes
Michigan
FSU/Texas if fsu loses.

No way Ohio state or Washington go since they won’t be conference champs.

We have a chance if bama beats UGA but I don’t trust the committee to pick us in that case.

Basically we’re all Louisville fans. Do us a solid please. We took strong off your hands. It’s the least you can do.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Yeah that site linked previously does not weigh conference championships enough. They got fooled by situations like TCU last year. Number of losses is more important to the committee than a conference championship but if the losses are the same it's almost the most important thing. They got absolutely excoriated over the 2011 title game, etc.

2 hours ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

I think if that happens, Texas goes over Bama. So long as we look dominant against OSU (which we should). There are consequences to losing games and Bama lost to us head to head in their house. We 1000% should go in front of them and the SEC should be blocked out of the playoff. This isn't the ideal scenario, I would much prefer FSU to lose, but if they do not, this is our next best shot. 

To be honest though, Bama looked like steaming shit against Auburn and I expect them to lose by double digits to Georgia. So I think this will all be moot. For us to get in, we are going to need Louisville or Iowa (lol) to win. Full stop.  

Agree FSU loss is our best chance, but I think it’s better to be vying for 2 spots with Bama and UO rather than heads up for one spot with either.   SEC has won the past 2 and like 14 of the past 17 or whatever, it’s hard to imagine them being left out with 2 contenders.  It’s probably more likely they get 2 in than zero, but this year they aren’t getting 2 in unless everyone loses next weekend.  

I think if Bama wins they are in but the committee has trouble with the H2H so they take both because what’s the P2 going to do about it?  Protest?  Not send any future teams to the playoffs?   

• Hook 'Em 2

Spoiler

A team from the Southeastern Conference has won the national championship 13 of the last 17 years, including four consecutive. The list includes five different schools: Alabama (6 times), Auburn, Georgia (2), Florida (2) and LSU(2).

From the BCS to the College Football Playoff, the league has been dominant. On three occasions, both teams in the title game came from the SEC.

In other words, you can’t have a playoff without at least one SEC team.

Can you?

Well, college football’s final season with a four-team playoff — an expansive, 12-team playoff format takes over in 2024 — could create just the kind of chaos that would cause the unthinkable.

Right now two SEC teams are still in reasonable contention for a playoff spot — No. 1 Georgia and No. 8 Alabama. They play each other Saturday in Atlanta for the SEC championship.

ADVERTISEMENT

If Georgia wins, it’s obviously in. The Bulldogs have won the title in each of the last two seasons and are riding a 29-game win streak.

But what if Alabama upsets them?

That would leave 12-1 Georgia and 12-1 Alabama, which would be the official SEC champion.

If the Tide beat the Dawgs, the scenario that could doom the mighty SEC is as such:

Michigan beats Iowa for the Big Ten title.

Washington beats Oregon for the Pac-12 title.

Florida State beats Louisville for the ACC title.

Texas beats Oklahoma State for the Big 12 title.

(Only Washington is considered an underdog.)

Michigan and Washington would be in, leaving two spots for four teams — 13-0 Florida State, 12-1 Texas, 12-1 Alabama and 12-1 Georgia.

Will Nick Saban's Alabama team make the CFP this season? (Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images) (Kevin C. Cox via Getty Images)

Normally, FSU would be a shoo-in as an unbeaten Power Five conference champion. However, the Seminoles lost star quarterback Jordan Travis to injury two weeks ago and needed a big comeback to defeat a 5-7 Florida team on Saturday. If they barely beat Louisville, would the so-called “eye test” come in and haunt FSU?

ADVERTISEMENT

Perhaps. It’s hard to argue that a Travis-less Florida State team is “one of the four best teams in the country,” as the playoff is charged with determining. That said, it seems unfathomable that the playoff committee would keep an undefeated ACC champion out. Doing so would go against everything we’ve seen from the committee’s work the past nine years. At some point, the games have to matter.

So count FSU in. We think.

That leaves the 12-1 Longhorns, who happen to have defeated Alabama, 34-24, in Tuscaloosa back in September. That should give UT an edge over the Crimson Tide — head-to-head should matter, after all.

And since it's Alabama that beats Georgia in this scenario, then the Horns should have an edge over Georgia — we beat the team that beat you. Besides, UT would be a conference champion (one of the criteria considered) and the Bulldogs not.

ADVERTISEMENT

As for resumes, it’s not like the SEC schools have much to lean on. Georgia would own victories over two 10-win teams in Missouri and Ole Miss, plus a top-25 club in Tennessee. But that’s it.

Alabama would have beaten Georgia, Ole Miss and top-15 LSU.

Texas would have victories over Alabama and top-25 teams Oklahoma State and Kansas State. (The Horns wish it was No. 13 Oklahoma that had reached the Big 12 championship game, giving them a higher-ranked opponent and a chance to avenge a 34-30 October loss to the Sooners).

So how could the committee twist the SEC ahead of Texas? Head-to-head isn’t the only factor, but it’s not like the SEC has been dominant this season. This isn’t the usual deep, talented operation.

ADVERTISEMENT

The SEC’s best non-conference victories are the following: Mississippi State over Arizona, Missouri over Kansas State and Kentucky over Louisville. The ACC went 6-4 against the league.

There just isn’t much there.

Georgia and Alabama may be as good as anyone in the country — until Georgia loses, it’s the favorite to win it all. But there isn’t the wiggle room of the past. And as strange, and illegitimate, as it might seem to leave the league out of the playoff, reality awaits.

In 2021, Georgia and Alabama met in the SEC title game. The Crimson Tide won, but both teams were placed in the four-team field. A little over a month later, they met for the national title, with Georgia winning the title and a measure of revenge.

That was the SEC at its best, a complete domination of college football.

Now … we might actually have a playoff without them.

Edited by LonghornSean
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Here’s a nasty scenario to cause Surly hysteria:

Michigan crushes Iowa. FSU wins the ACC. Bama beats Georgia in an ugly, sloppy game. Texas boatraces Okie State but the committee doesn’t care because they’re enamored with the BIG and Oregon/Washington. 

CFP: Michigan, Oregon/Washington winner, FSU, Ohio State

The cruelest irony: Bama plays Texas in a NY6 game.

Improbable? So was 4th and 31

Wish the committee had the balls to say look Oregon two things, Texas is Texas, better ratings and Washington can’t play defense and you know Texas has the better resume. Ok that’s like 5 things. But bottom line Texas resume is good enough and and $$$$$$$.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Jewish Wang said:

You think they really gonna risk UW and Ore playing 3 times ? Eyeballs people. Pacific Northwest? Please no. 

2 minutes ago, Bama Llama said:

Here’s a nasty scenario to cause Surly hysteria:

Michigan crushes Iowa. FSU wins the ACC. Bama beats Georgia in an ugly, sloppy game. Texas boatraces Okie State but the committee doesn’t care because they’re enamored with the BIG and Oregon/Washington. 

CFP: Michigan, Oregon/Washington winner, FSU, Ohio State

The cruelest irony: Bama plays Texas in a NY6 game.

Improbable? So was 4th and 31

Zero chance Ohio State goes ahead of a 1-loss power conference champion, much less two of them.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Jewish Wang said:

I mean, Pac is not getting 2 teams in.  There’s no scenario that happens outside a meteor strike that leaves only Washington and Oregon above sea level.

• Haha 2

If the committee puts Ohio State behind 1 loss Oregon, Bama, and us they would be sending a sign that conference championships matter since those are the teams that have qualified to play for one.

If Ohio State somehow ends up somewhere in the middle of this group then I will concede all the weight I am putting being a conference champ is wrong and maybe a 1 loss non-champ can be in. 

But I suspect Ohio State is going to land at 8 and the bottom of the one loss list. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Bama Llama said:

From your lips to the committee’s ears. Hope you’re right but this bs is so subjective. Weirder, more unjust shit has happened.

We have 9 seasons worth of data that a 1 loss champ > 1 loss non conf or division champ > 2 loss champ 

• Hook 'Em 2

As far as I can remember, a non-champ has never gone in above a 1 loss champ.  And Texas/Bama/Oregon would all be pretty deserving one loss champs if they win out.  For the folks saying a tOSU/UGA/Washington have a shot as a non-champ, I guess anything is possible with the people pulling the strings, but it's never happened.  All the non-champs that have gotten in in the past were over 2 loss teams (which won't come into play this year).  

• immamac changed the title to THE College Football Playoff Rankings Thread [MICH,WASH,TEX,ALA]