Cats. Amiright? Ours is pissing in random places

HiggyBaby

First off, don’t get a cat. If you’re thinking about it, step back, re-assess, and consider giving your daughter up for adoption just for asking for one. If you do have a cat or three, why is our 11 year old female suddenly pissing by our living room chair on the complete opposite side of the house? She literally seeks out this chair, squats, and lays a river on the floor by it. Then goes about her business. I have an appointment with the vet but before I go spend all that money just to have them tell me she needs pills, what says the Surly cat people? PS she does use her litter box on the usual so ….

2 hours ago, HiggyBaby said:

First off, don’t get a cat. If you’re thinking about it, step back, re-assess, and consider giving your daughter up for adoption just for asking for one. If you do have a cat or three, why is our 11 year old female suddenly pissing by our living room chair on the complete opposite side of the house? She literally seeks out this chair, squats, and lays a river on the floor by it. Then goes about her business. I have an appointment with the vet but before I go spend all that money just to have them tell me she needs pills, what says the Surly cat people? PS she does use her litter box on the usual so ….

I think cats can do that when they are hyperthyroid.  Older cats get it pretty routinely.  Lost much weight recently?

Easily controlled with pills.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

UTI’s also make them do stuff like that. We had one that was going under a bed and we didn’t know it for a while. Cat went outside after that, bedroom got all new carpet and pads. Cat was older and lived out it’s days in the garage.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Make sure the cat isn't diabetic. My former cat had diabetes and he would pee outside the box all the time. He was trying to tell me he was in pain. I had to give him injections every day until the day he died. I loved that cat.  He was a great fluffy orange fur ball. RIP Bevo.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

12 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

I think cats can do that when they are hyperthyroid.  Older cats get it pretty routinely.  Lost much weight recently?

Easily controlled with pills.

This would be my first guess. Had a cat that would pace, lost weight, had its coat get shabby, and would pee/poo outside the litterbox (not every time). It was always a bit of a anxious cat and we thought it was because we got a second cat and he wasn't adjusting.

Turns out dude was trying to tell us something was wrong. Turns out it was hyperthyroid and now he's better than he ever was. His personality has even changed to where he is not scared of anything anymore. He was never like that before. Used to be skittish of anyone that wasn't us.

F the haters. Cats are awesome. The bigger and lazier, the better.

One of the most fortuitous things to ever happen to me is marrying a woman who is extremely allergic to cats.

My wife is like the dog whisperer. Dogs love her. She relates to them better than people. Better yet, she hates cats with extreme hate. And doesnt really trust cat people.
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Texzilla58 said:

My wife is like the dog whisperer. Dogs love her. She relates to them better than people. Better yet, she hates cats with extreme hate. And doesnt really trust cat people.

Yeah, Hemingway and Churchill can suck it.

UTI’s also make them do stuff like that. We had one that was going under a bed and we didn’t know it for a while. Cat went outside after that, bedroom got all new carpet and pads. Cat was older and lived out it’s days in the garage.

This is the initial diagnosis. They gave her a couple of shots including an antibiotic and anti-inflammatory. If it continues, further bloodwork.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 11/3/2023 at 1:21 PM, Texzilla58 said:

She sounds smart better keep her.  How does she feel about bicyclists?

You can solve this problem by having your cat live outside. I have two cats and they piss wherever they want. 
We bring them into the laundry room when really cold with some kitty litter food and water.

This. I’m semi allergic and its fine. People think having a cat means letting it roll around on you and your shit all day. Leave them out and let them hunt, you’d be surprised how many rodents and snakes are on your property. These people are also typically millennial parents with peanut allergies and labradoodles

No knock on peanut allergies but you get the point. No apologies for doodles tho

3 hours ago, Bevo said:

Our cat is extremely finicky and only eats dry food. It has a UTI. How do I give it antibiotics?

Ask the vet? I imagine you'll have to grind it up, mix with water, and then syringe down the throat. 

9 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Ask the vet? I imagine you'll have to grind it up, mix with water, and then syringe down the throat. 

That sounds terrible. Maybe I can create tiny tuna fish balls since that seems to be one of the few non-dry items that she eats.

5 hours ago, ballrific said:

This. I’m semi allergic and its fine. People think having a cat means letting it roll around on you and your shit all day. Leave them out and let them hunt, you’d be surprised how many rodents and snakes are on your property. These people are also typically millennial parents with peanut allergies and labradoodles

No knock on peanut allergies but you get the point. No apologies for doodles thoemoji1.png

Yes. We live just outside of Austin on 6 acres and the cats do their jobs Wrt rodents and sneks.

The whole property is game fenced so they can hunt without fear of stray dogs and other varmints. Although, the occasional fox sneaks in along with skunks, opossums, etc.

When they are not hunting or othwise lounging around they like to hang out in the garage and knock shit off of the shelves.

I used to hate cats. Am allergic to them. Never liked their personality. Have always been a dog person. BUT, then I discovered they are rodent terminators. I love my neighborhood cats that patrol the perimeter of my house, assassinating threats, protecting me from evil. They are so awesome. 

40 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I used to hate cats. Am allergic to them. Never liked their personality. Have always been a dog person. BUT, then I discovered they are rodent terminators. I love my neighborhood cats that patrol the perimeter of my house, assassinating threats, protecting me from evil. They are so awesome. 

Same, except we had one show up during snowpocalypse and just never left. Now we have an outdoor cat that does come inside sometimes when it is really hot or cold and was already litterbox trained. We tried for months to find the owner but I think it got dumped and just found us. Either way, he is a murdering bastard. Everything you can think of is found dead or tortured within an inch of its life around my house by that murder kitty. Had to get rid of the bird feeders but I will take that tradeoff over the rats that had found a home in my storage shed. Haven't seen a rat in over a year.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...
No update yet? Don't go pulling a submart now.

Full blood work. No obvious issues. She has expanded her peeing around the house now. Vet has her on anxiety meds to no avail. Taking her back in next week to discuss putting her down unless the vet has any other ideas. Sucks but she’s destroying the house

Man I wish things like this were simple but we just sent her on her way across the rainbow bridge. She was down a pound in just the last 10 days with worsening symptoms. Doc theorizes a possible form of cancer but we didn’t opt to spring for additional testing. No point really. Hug your pets, even the pain in the ass ones.

• Like 4

On 11/14/2023 at 12:07 PM, Bevo said:

That sounds terrible. Maybe I can create tiny tuna fish balls since that seems to be one of the few non-dry items that she eats.

One good way to "pill" a cat is to mix the meds with butter.  Smear the mixture on the cat, but not on a paw or tail, s/he'll just sling it off.  But make sure it's somewhere they can reach.  They'll lick it off.

54 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

One good way to "pill" a cat is to mix the meds with butter.  Smear the mixture on the cat, but not on a paw or tail, s/he'll just sling it off.  But make sure it's somewhere they can reach.  They'll lick it off.

Thanks. We have been sprinkling it on her food which has worked, but your way seems better.

1 minute ago, Bevo said:

Thanks. We have been sprinkling it on her food which has worked, but your way seems better.

We have kind of "fraidy" cat that gets nervous when you put two hands on him (as if to pick him up, stuff him in a box and take him to the vet).  So, he has never liked being given a pill and will eat around a pill in hamburger meat or whatever you put it in, and will not touch food that has had the powder mixed in with it.

Smearing butter on him works.

But, he's also pretty smart and knows or seems to understand that medications make him feel better and has mostly relented to having a pill poked in the side of his mouth every day (hyperthyroid).  That took several days/weeks of attempts.

There are also these things called "Greenies" that are a dry cat treat with a hollow in them.  One of the things Gizmo skillfully eats leaving the pill.

• Like 1

Ours is the same way, but has been good with the food. We tried a urinary tract friendly cat food that she liked but it didn't get rid of the infection. So my wife took a 500mg PCN and split it into 10 parts - 50mg each - and sprinkled it on the dry cat food. The cat didn't eat it at first but after a day she relented. It isn't very accurate dosing though because it is dependent on how much PCN gets on the food and how much of the food she eats. OTOH, the cat doesn't seem to have problems peeing anymore and has stopped peeing in random places, so the medicine has worked. Probably 3 days left before we stop.

• Hook 'Em 1