9-1

Huckleberry

8 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Where in the world are you getting that the Big 12 is 5th in the power ratings? Sagarin has the Big 12 2nd and Massey has it 3rd.

They started off rated 5th by a number of publications 

Through November Sagarin has the conference at 3rd, not second and Massey has them 5th after the first few weeks - the obvious point is who outside of Texas has the conference beaten OOC?  Big12 is s circular firing squad that has the potential for 8 teams to be tied for 1st is a bunch of wacky stuff happens.  

Pac 12 84.0%
Big 10 69.0%
SEC 68.0%
ACC 61.5%
Big 12 58.6%

29 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Drugs

Have you actually watched Ohio State this year and been impressed? 

Didn't say they couldn't, saying when given the chance they didn't.  

Other than Texas beating Alabama, BYU beating Arkansas, Oklahoma State beating Arizona State (way worse than Washington did), West Virginia beating Pittsburgh, Kansas beating Illinois, and Cincinnati beating Pittsburgh, yes the Big 12 didn't beat other Power 5 conferences when given the chance. Those losses were Texas Tech in a one score game vs top 10 Oregon, Kansas State by a FG against top 15 Missouri, Iowa State in a one score game against second place in its division Iowa, TCU by a FG against Colorado, and Baylor in a one score game vs top 20 Utah. If you ignore the wins and the matchups for the losses, sure, the Big 12 can't win anything vs the other power 5 conferences. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

I think people like to think they right and move goal posts to make their point.

If you think barely beating UofH and TCU is good/bad you are right or wrong. We have two great wins so far: Bama and KState.

Despite a roster that is, overall, the best in the Big12, we aren’t yet ready to dominate crappy teams convincingly  but somehow we are ready to win a CFP?  Honestly this is a down year for the Big12 and our easiest path to a CFP we are likely to have. I would love for us to make the CFP and win. I’d have loved for us to beat OU and once again not just awaiting the outcome of a handful of other games. We are not yet good enough that just winning out gets us in.

I don’t want to be “back.” I want to have year over year dominance. as many have mentioned with recruiting/NIL/portal we are on the right track.

The last few weeks have shown me, though, that we aren’t there yet. 3 barely won games of blown leads have shown me we are not ready yet. Bama showed us what we can certainly be—able to beat anyone.

I have to be patient and trust that what we are building is sound and that we won’t drop 2-3 wtf losses each year. I am impressed that games we absolutely lose last year we have found a way to win this year. That’s progress period.  That’s due to the roster. I just don’t think we are there yet. Which is a shame because as I have said, this appeared to be the  “easiest” path to CFP we are likely to have.

TLDR: that’s too bad .

• Hook 'Em 2

15 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

They started off rated 5th by a number of publications 

Through November Sagarin has the conference at 3rd, not second and Massey has them 5th after the first few weeks - the obvious point is who outside of Texas has the conference beaten OOC?  Big12 is s circular firing squad that has the potential for 8 teams to be tied for 1st is a bunch of wacky stuff happens.  

Pac 12 84.0%
Big 10 69.0%
SEC 68.0%
ACC 61.5%
Big 12 58.6%

No, Sagarin has the Big 12 second. Massey has it third. You are not even reading things correctly 

http://sagarin.com/sports/cfsend.htm

Despite what their conference office would like you to believe, the Big Ten West is part of the Big Ten. 

https://masseyratings.com/cf/fbs/ratings?c=1

Massey has the Big 12 third. Literally don't know what you're looking at. 

• Hook 'Em 3

7 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Have you actually watched Ohio State this year and been impressed? 

Other than Texas beating Alabama, BYU beating Arkansas, Oklahoma State beating Arizona State (way worse than Washington did), West Virginia beating Pittsburgh, Kansas beating Illinois, and Cincinnati beating Pittsburgh, yes the Big 12 didn't beat other Power 5 conferences when given the chance. Those losses were Texas Tech in a one score game vs top 10 Oregon, Kansas State by a FG against top 15 Missouri, Iowa State in a one score game against second place in its division Iowa, TCU by a FG against Colorado, and Baylor in a one score game vs top 20 Utah. If you ignore the wins and the matchups for the losses, sure, the Big 12 can't win anything vs the other power 5 conferences. 

Arkansas is crap.  ASU has always been crap.  IL and Pitt?  Pitt is 2-8.  The losses, all to (at the time) ranked teams

It's also been different things back-to back-weeks.  Against KSU if was (i) terrible tackling on the long TD at the sideline that gave them momentum then (ii) back-to-back turnovers.    Last week, we started mixing in defensive backups with the big lead (while also probably calling less aggressive defense) and it kind of fell apart.  If we just make the tackle on what should have been a 9 yard gain (setting up a 3rd and short) instead of a 50+ yard gain (ending with the Savion hurdle) on their first TD drive, they probably never get back into it.  That was just abysmal execution by virtually our entire secondary.  Then momentum is a weird thing once you lose it.  

Different things yes. But the narrative about the backups is off base.

That Savion play had the ball caught in front of Brooks. Hill and Ford were in. Even Crawford plays a lot including half the snaps versus Bama. That’s not backups. The entire secondary was not really at play either. The LBs were a problem on that play. Two secondary missed opportunities but as I watched it again I don’t feel Crawfords angle was that bad.

TCU shortcomings were different than KSU shortcomings. Part of the Houston problems may have been overcompensating after Gabriel ran for 100. People latch onto shit that’s not totally a repeat issue. Then assume our problems are not the same as 98% of other schools. Yet across the board we’re better than 95+%.

2 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Arkansas is crap.  ASU has always been crap.  IL and Pitt?  Pitt is 2-8.  The losses, all to (at the time) ranked teams

Great. Tell Louisville, one of your two dominant teams in other conferences, that Pitt is crap. Tell Washington that ASU is crap. Tell Florida that Arkansas is crap. There are a lot of "crap" teams. Our crap teams beat their crap teams and held their own versus the good teams. I'm not telling you the Big 12 is the best. I'm telling you that your perception of other conferences is favorably skewed. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Dahobbs said:

Great. Tell Louisville, one of your two dominant teams in other conferences, that Pitt is crap. Tell Washington that ASU is crap. Tell Florida that Arkansas is crap. 

WA beating ASU, but not by as much, tells you nothing

Pitt beat Louisville means as much as OSU beating OU, other than it's their sole loss and they are now ranked in the top 10 with a win over another (at the time) top 10 team and will finish with 10-11 wins

FL is 5-5.  Once good, now mediocre.  One really bad team beating a bad team.  

5 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

held their own versus the good teams

Lost.  You mean lost to the good teams

14 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

WA beating ASU, but not by as much, tells you nothing

Pitt beat Louisville means as much as OSU beating OU, other than it's their sole loss and they are now ranked in the top 10 with a win over another (at the time) top 10 team and will finish with 10-11 wins

FL is 5-5.  Once good, now mediocre.  One really bad team beating a bad team.  

Lost.  You mean lost to the good teams

Yes, you're lost. Whatever. I don't care anymore. 

• Hook 'Em 2

31 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Two secondary missed opportunities but as I watched it again I don’t feel Crawfords angle was that bad.

Maybe I need to watch it again.  Because I thought it was a bad angle but the fact I thought he appeared to pursue at about 3/4 speed after Savion passed him (i.e., complete opposite of the Whittington hustle play) may have clouded my initial reaction of "WTF is he in the game".

1 hour ago, Nicole44 said:

I think people like to think they right and move goal posts to make their point.

If you think barely beating UofH and TCU is good/bad you are right or wrong. We have two great wins so far: Bama and KState.

Despite a roster that is, overall, the best in the Big12, we aren’t yet ready to dominate crappy teams convincingly  but somehow we are ready to win a CFP?  Honestly this is a down year for the Big12 and our easiest path to a CFP we are likely to have. I would love for us to make the CFP and win. I’d have loved for us to beat OU and once again not just awaiting the outcome of a handful of other games. We are not yet good enough that just winning out gets us in.

I don’t want to be “back.” I want to have year over year dominance. as many have mentioned with recruiting/NIL/portal we are on the right track.

The last few weeks have shown me, though, that we aren’t there yet. 3 barely won games of blown leads have shown me we are not ready yet. Bama showed us what we can certainly be—able to beat anyone.

I have to be patient and trust that what we are building is sound and that we won’t drop 2-3 wtf losses each year. I am impressed that games we absolutely lose last year we have found a way to win this year. That’s progress period.  That’s due to the roster. I just don’t think we are there yet. Which is a shame because as I have said, this appeared to be the  “easiest” path to CFP we are likely to have.

What an odd comment

• Haha 1

Maybe I need to watch it again.  Because I thought it was a bad angle but the fact I thought he appeared to pursue at about 3/4 speed after Savion passed him (i.e., complete opposite of the Whittington hustle play) may have clouded my initial reaction of "WTF is he in the game".

I was focused on the angle so maybe he was slow. My actual thought was he was trying to fill the gap between CB and LB. Whatever it was nobody made the play.

1 hour ago, Nicole44 said:

I would believe all this if you hadn't been a sonny dykes stan alllllllllll of last year. It's exactly what they did damn near every game and you reminded us constantly that TCU was having a run of success that we should be able to have. Now that we are doing what they did it's not as cool? Soon there will be a 12 team playoff and the CFP will be easier to get to year in and year out even with multiple losses in a year. Can you point to the 2-3 wtf losses we have this year? At the beginning of the year you thought we would be 9-1 after 10 games and leading the big 12 standings? 

2 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

I would believe all this if you hadn't been a sonny dykes stan alllllllllll of last year. It's exactly what they did damn near every game and you reminded us constantly that TCU was having a run of success that we should be able to have. Now that we are doing what they did it's not as cool? Soon there will be a 12 team playoff and the CFP will be easier to get to year in and year out even with multiple losses in a year. Can you point to the 2-3 wtf losses we have this year? At the beginning of the year you thought we would be 9-1 after 10 games and leading the big 12 standings? 

You are a bigger beating than me and that’s saying something. 

• Haha 5

5 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

If I were you I'd stay away from Rainey Street for a while.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 5

This fan and alumni base deals with success in the strangest way. I’m not immune by any means, but fuck we hate ourselves irrationally, or (if you’re an OB guy), sunshine pump to an aggy level. 

We’re 9-1 with a last minute loss that we should have stopped. We’re better than decent. The rest of college football sucks balls, which has resulted in a log-jam of only decent undefeated teams ahead of us. It happens I guess.

The SEC should be better next year, and Texas should be about the same… but we’d be the 2nd best team in the SEC right this minute. On the right day, we’d be the best team. 

Let’s chill. The roster is young but good. Next year they will be young and good again. Let’s chill. Chillllllll

Edited by Gucci_Suit
Gram
  • Hook 'Em 6

17 minutes ago, Gucci_Suit said:

This fan and alumni base deals with success in the strangest way. I’m not immune by any means, but fuck we hate ourselves irrationally, or (if you’re an OB guy), sunshine pump to an aggy level. 

We’re 9-1 with a last minute loss that we should have stopped. We’re better than decent. The rest of collage football sucks balls, which has resulted in a log-jam of only decent undefeated teams ahead of us. It happens I guess.

The SEC should be better next year, and Texas should be about the same… but we’d be the 2nd best team in the SEC right this minute. On the right day, we’d be the best team. 

Let’s chill. The roster is young but good. Next year they will be young and good again. Let’s chill. Chillllllll

I mostly agree. But until we get past this multi-year stretch of big leads than turn into white-knuckle finishes, I won't blame any fellow Texas fan for being unsure of our prowess. 

• Hook 'Em 3

He's 100% correct. Not that we need to worry about that just yet given what's in front of us on Saturday and the following Friday. Not to forget if we win those two we either get to replay an opponent or get another's last shot at us. But yes, if we win out and Bama wins out, we are suddenly going to lose that special OOC win we had over Bama. Head to head matters until the committee decides it doesn't. They will find every reason to keep us out. "Well Bama was a different team then" or "Texas isn't the same team without Brooks (probably true)"or "look what Bama overcame and then ended up winning the SEC, they have to be in". Oregon may get to avenge their loss to Washington. What we really need is FSU to lose but that's not happening. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, mdmost said:

What we really need is FSU to lose but that's not happening. 

Why not?  FSU has shown themselves to be mortal.  They won't lose this weekend, but I think there's a reasonable likelihood that they lose to Florida or even that they'll be upset by Louisville in the ACC CCG.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Milroe is not the same QB he was at the beginning of the season.  His improvement might be more than any other P5 QB playing today.  

How? The truth is Milroe has played about the same as he did vs us sans one less INT. He is running a little more but not sure that would work vs us. The real difference is we went in there and did what we wanted on offense. The teams Alabama lit up are teams that have allowed other teams to light them up.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

I think he was mistaken.  Rosy Palmer went into the Penile system.

As Jackson Browne wrote - and sang:

But Rosie, you're all right, you wear my ring
When you hold me tight, Rosie, that's my thing
When you turn out the light, I got to hand it to me
Looks like it's me and you again tonight, Rosie

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, FORTY NINE TO ZERO said:

win the big 12 and a new year’s day bowl and i’ll be happy 

If we win CCG and don't make Top 4, it seems likely we'll have some guys who, understandably, skip the bowl game. Especially true if we don't take CCG. That would make a bowl win a lot more difficult, and much more appreciated.

2 hours ago, Pancho said:

This is the same mother fucker who was hoping we would get upset by Kansas state during the game and now he’s “worried” about our legitimate chances to make the CFP?!? The 180 that so many people do is obnoxious, let’s worry about tomorrow then the day after that. Playoffs? Playoffs 

Jim Mora Playoffs GIF

Does anyone think that the committee is waiting to see how badly we beat tech to possibly use that as an excuse to rank us over Oregon if we beat the shit out of them? I could see the committee using a beat down of a team that Oregon barely beat as an excuse to have us jump them. Provided that we win this week, that is. 

10 hours ago, Matagorda said:

Im concerned our only loss is against the only decent quarterback we’ve faced.  Milroe, has improved, but still was pretty weak at the time.  

I may be wrong, but it seems a good quarterback might wear us out. 

Our loss to OU had NOTHING to do with their quarterback. Do you even watch the games, man?

I’d agree with Klatt on the fact the committee likes Oregon a lot. The committee isn’t as high on Georgia. They’ve made that clear through these lame ass CFP Tuesday night specials. Having said that, I also feel that the committee likes us. But our one loss right now doesn’t look as “sexy” as Oregon’s one loss. 

Edited by Nicole44

Just now, Hank_Hill said:

Sick let’s see it

Reminds me of the classic “would you rather lose in the first round of the NCAA basketball tournament or win the NIT”

You can’t win an NCAA title if you go to the NIT and you can’t win the CFP if you don’t make it. A 4 seed still has a shot and I’d rather have the shot 

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

I’d agree with Klatt on the fact the committee likes Oregon a lot. The committee isn’t as high on Georgia. They’ve made that clear through these lame ass CFP Tuesday night specials. Having said that, I also feel that the committee likes us. But our one loss right now doesn’t look as “sexy” as Oregon’s one loss. 

It’s kind of bullshit that Oregon didn’t fall after their last second loss while we did.  

• Hook 'Em 2