Week 12, 2023; Texas Tech at Texas

Wulaw Horn

12 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

In October and November Texas has one 14+ point win, BYU. Houston, K State, TCU, and Iowa State all got within the 13.5 points. And of course there is the OU loss. Put a 3-6 point adjustment on those as needed for site of the game and only Iowa State changes. Texas just isn’t winning games by large margins and I wouldn’t touch a line that suggests they will, particularly in an emotionally charged game like this.

Results at home: 27 point win against Rice, 21 point win against Wyoming, 26 point win against Kansas, 29 point win vs BYU, and 3 point win vs K-State. 

The only non-blowout at home was K-State. A top 15ish team against a back-up QB. 

The comparable games, at home, are Kansas and Wyoming. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed
  • Hook 'Em 8

1 hour ago, Grande Mart said:

Not that it will probably matter if it comes down to us and Oregon for the 4th playoff spot, since the committee will probably ignore this fact,  but tech is a common opponent, so it would behoove us to beat the shit out of them since it was a close game between them and Oregon.

This is a great point that hasn’t been mentioned very often. 

If our chances at the CFP come down to an Oregon v. Texas argument, both our scores against Tech as a common opponent will be a huge factor to sway the argument.

We just need to win by more than 8 points, but I would prefer winning by 20-30 just to be safe. 

• Hook 'Em 5

I don't think Tech will be as hyped up for this game as some think.  Their expectations coming into this season were that this game would be a deciding factor in who goes to the championship game.   After some terrible coaching followed by tons of QB injuries, they're thrilled (and surprised) to be bowl-eligible as of yesterday.  This will be a letdown game, of a sort, for them. The Longhorns will roll over them with ease and the game will be over by early in the third.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

I don't think Tech will be as hyped up for this game as some think.  Their expectations coming into this season were that this game would be a deciding factor in who goes to the championship game.   After some terrible coaching followed by tons of QB injuries, they're thrilled (and surprised) to be bowl-eligible as of yesterday.  This will be a letdown game, of a sort, for them. The Longhorns will roll over them with ease and the game will be over by early in the third.

I'm glad they found a way to beat UCF or else they would be playing for a bowl game against us. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I'm glad they found a way to beat UCF or else they would be playing for a bowl game against us. 

Exactly.  That would be a scenario where I could see some weird voodoo coming into play.  At this stage, I think they took a big sigh of relief last night and won't be nearly as excited for the game on Friday.  Even the fan base is deflated after the heightened expectations coming into the season.  And honestly, they were a decent offensive coordinator away from having a great season, making this game a much more important one for both teams.  It took him about half the year to realize he had a future NFL stud running back on the team that the offense should run through.  It was bizarre to watch, but that's what they get for insisting on hiring an air raid coordinator.

EDIT TO ADD: Their interior D-line in no joke at all, and will cause some issues on Friday, but this year's Tech team just hasn't put it together offensively to be a real threat in this game.  They have a second-string QB with a gunslinger mentality but without the skills to back it up.  Their o-line can run block but are terrible in pass protection.  Receiving corp is the worst they've had since Mike Leach stepped foot on campus.  No separation, ever.  The larger issue is the OC isn't experienced enough to make adjustments based on situational football.  He's just barely out of diapers and the only mentor he had was Kingsbury (lol).

Edited by Samson's Wig

17 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

I don't totally agree with this, but I do think that if Texas gets an early lead Tech will fold fast. 

• Drool 1

1 hour ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

We will get out to a 27 to 7 lead, inexplicably allow them to score two touchdowns to lead 27 to 21, then they will recover an onside kick, kick a field goal, it will be 27 to 24, Surly will be convulsing with weeping and wailing, then we will score to touchdowns to ice it 41-24. If you will it, it is no dream, dude.

How about we just blow their doors off and win 48-10?

• Hook 'Em 6

1 hour ago, Samson's Wig said:

The have earned a bowl game already too which helps lower their strong desire to win. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Only the second night game of the year.  Pretty perfect low 50's football weather.  Lots of beer if you can afford it, which I think y'all can because the lowest ticket right now is around $200.  A Jumbotron that might be audible in Waco.  Cannons and livestock and fireworks.  Longhorn Band playing the hits you know you love.  Cheerleaders and pom girls and a giant Texas flag.  Over the top, unnecessary, extra crap dreamed up last summer by folks who overproduce these things who have access to an infinite budget for such stuff.
The final Big XII game at DKR.  Texas founded the SWC and has been playing in the SWC or the SWC/Big 8 merger since 1914.  This is the last one in Austin.  A win puts Texas in the Big XII championship game with a chance at a NY6 bowl or possible playoff spot.  A win gives Texas their first 11 win season since the dark times began.
If you're not excited about this one after beating Iowa St, TCU, Kansas St, BYU and so on ... well .... get it together!  If the crowd isn't bringing it like the 1990 UH game, something is wrong with you people.  

Quoting because it was well said.
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Samson's Wig said:

I don't think Tech will be as hyped up for this game as some think.  Their expectations coming into this season were that this game would be a deciding factor in who goes to the championship game.   

I disagree... This is tech's Superbowl

Just remember on the same night Yormark told tech fans that we got Texas out of the B12 a year early... and told Joey to take care of business in Austin on Thanksgiving,  McGuire also trash talked Texas.

McGuire, without naming the schools, referred to OU and UT as "these so-called bluebloods — and I really question that. One of them's really good in Olympic sports."

McGuire credited Yormark with thinking outside the box and stabilizing the Big 12.

"I know he has a plan to close the gap," McGuire said, "but part of my job is to close it even faster. He said it: Part of my job is to make that team in burnt orange — if that's really a color — if that team leaves, then make sure that they're going to a conference that they can no longer compete in this conference with teams that are in this conference."

"There is an opportunity to put the Red Raiders at the forefront of this conference," McGuire said, "and I don't want to wait 'til 2024 when it's a new conference. It's more important to do it in 2023 when those old two are still here so they can understand exactly who runs the Big 12."

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Just remember on the same night Yormark told tech fans that we got Texas out of the B12 a year early... and told Joey to take care of business in Austin on Thanksgiving,  McGuire also trash talked Texas.

McGuire, without naming the schools, referred to OU and UT as "these so-called bluebloods — and I really question that. One of them's really good in Olympic sports."

McGuire credited Yormark with thinking outside the box and stabilizing the Big 12.

"I know he has a plan to close the gap," McGuire said, "but part of my job is to close it even faster. He said it: Part of my job is to make that team in burnt orange — if that's really a color — if that team leaves, then make sure that they're going to a conference that they can no longer compete in this conference with teams that are in this conference."

"There is an opportunity to put the Red Raiders at the forefront of this conference," McGuire said, "and I don't want to wait 'til 2024 when it's a new conference. It's more important to do it in 2023 when those old two are still here so they can understand exactly who runs the Big 12."

dave chappelle hate GIF

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

As the epicenter of college football increasingly narrows to the geography of the SEC and the Big Ten, the Red Raiders need the annual game against UT to drive visibility, the attractiveness of the schedule, ticket sales, credibility in the major polls and recruiting boosts.

Exactly. 

8 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Is UT scared to keep alive its Texas Tech football rivalry? | Williams (lubbockonline.com)

Is UT scared to keep alive its Texas Tech football rivalry? | Don Williams, Lubbock Avalanche-Journal

A bunch of entertaining football games are coming up, as always, the week of Thanksgiving. Many will factor into conference races, but not all.

You have Georgia-Georgia Tech, Florida-Florida State, South Carolina-Clemson, Kentucky-Louisville, all non-conference games scheduled at the end of the regular season.

Maybe someday in the not-too-distant future, you can add Texas Tech football playing Texas to the list of rivalry games between non-conference opponents. All it would take is for the Longhorns to lose a little hubris. UT athletics director Chris Del Conte told the Avalanche-Journal last year he's OK with playing non-conference games against other Texas schools.

What he meant was, he's OK with playing other Texas schools the Longhorns don't perceive as a threat. They've played Rice three times in recent years, and they have UT-El Paso and UT-San Antonio scheduled in alternating seasons out through 2031.

UT leads the series with Tech 54-18. Not that risky a proposition for the burnt orange, right?

The Red Raiders won last year's game, though. And when the Texas A&M-Texas series went dormant a decade ago, Tech athletics director Kirby Hocutt eagerly obliged Texas' wish to keep playing an annual Thanksgiving game. The Red Raiders, playing Texas in Austin on Thanksgiving or the day after in 2013, 2015, 2017 and 2019, took advantage of high-visibility TV windows and won two of those games.

That's all it takes for Texas to not want to play the Red Raiders any longer than they have to.

Texas Tech officials have made it clear they'll put the Red Raiders up against the Longhorns as non-conference opponents any time, any place, the sooner, the better.

The Tech-Texas game this coming Friday night will be the last between the two football programs for the foreseeable future with Texas heading off to the Southeastern Conference at the end of the school year.

As the epicenter of college football increasingly narrows to the geography of the SEC and the Big Ten, the Red Raiders need the annual game against UT to drive visibility, the attractiveness of the schedule, ticket sales, credibility in the major polls and recruiting boosts.

Not only games against UT. We've focused on Tech's desire to continuing playing the Longhorns, but playing Texas A&M every year would be even better. Renewing that series, with its evenness, with all its close games and fantastic finishes, would be just as meaningful.

Back to the Tech-Texas discussion, though. In days gone by, universities would serve up games most attractive to their fans, without regard to the potential danger of losing. In some places, they still do, as we noted at the top.

South Carolina and Clemson have faced each other continuously since 1909, as non-conference opponents since 1971. Georgia and Georgia Tech have played continuously since 1925, as non-conference opponents since 1964.

Florida and Florida State have squared off every year since 1958, all in non-conference. Kentucky and Louisville have met each year since 1994, also all as non-conference foes.

Each of the above series, during the time frames mentioned, was interrupted only by the COVID-19 outbreak in 2020.

Virginia and Virginia Tech have played Atlantic Coast Conference games since 2004, but their many meetings between 1937 and 2003 were as non-conference opponents. Texas A&M and LSU have met 57 times, 45 as non-conference rivals. West Virginia and Penn State have met 60 times, not once in a conference game.

It's clear in that context there's nothing to keep Texas or Texas A&M from playing li'l ol' Texas Tech.

It'd be good for the programs, good for the fans and good for UT brass to come down off their high horse.

What a moron. He compares Texas vs Tech to classic sports rivalries when Tech is just an afterthought for Texas. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Is UT scared to keep alive its Texas Tech football rivalry? | Williams (lubbockonline.com)

Is UT scared to keep alive its Texas Tech football rivalry? | Don Williams, Lubbock Avalanche-Journal

A bunch of entertaining football games are coming up, as always, the week of Thanksgiving. Many will factor into conference races, but not all.

You have Georgia-Georgia Tech, Florida-Florida State, South Carolina-Clemson, Kentucky-Louisville, all non-conference games scheduled at the end of the regular season.

Maybe someday in the not-too-distant future, you can add Texas Tech football playing Texas to the list of rivalry games between non-conference opponents. All it would take is for the Longhorns to lose a little hubris. UT athletics director Chris Del Conte told the Avalanche-Journal last year he's OK with playing non-conference games against other Texas schools.

What he meant was, he's OK with playing other Texas schools the Longhorns don't perceive as a threat. They've played Rice three times in recent years, and they have UT-El Paso and UT-San Antonio scheduled in alternating seasons out through 2031.

UT leads the series with Tech 54-18. Not that risky a proposition for the burnt orange, right?

The Red Raiders won last year's game, though. And when the Texas A&M-Texas series went dormant a decade ago, Tech athletics director Kirby Hocutt eagerly obliged Texas' wish to keep playing an annual Thanksgiving game. The Red Raiders, playing Texas in Austin on Thanksgiving or the day after in 2013, 2015, 2017 and 2019, took advantage of high-visibility TV windows and won two of those games.

That's all it takes for Texas to not want to play the Red Raiders any longer than they have to.

Texas Tech officials have made it clear they'll put the Red Raiders up against the Longhorns as non-conference opponents any time, any place, the sooner, the better.

The Tech-Texas game this coming Friday night will be the last between the two football programs for the foreseeable future with Texas heading off to the Southeastern Conference at the end of the school year.

Not only games against UT. We've focused on Tech's desire to continuing playing the Longhorns, but playing Texas A&M every year would be even better. Renewing that series, with its evenness, with all its close games and fantastic finishes, would be just as meaningful.

Back to the Tech-Texas discussion, though. In days gone by, universities would serve up games most attractive to their fans, without regard to the potential danger of losing. In some places, they still do, as we noted at the top.

South Carolina and Clemson have faced each other continuously since 1909, as non-conference opponents since 1971. Georgia and Georgia Tech have played continuously since 1925, as non-conference opponents since 1964.

Florida and Florida State have squared off every year since 1958, all in non-conference. Kentucky and Louisville have met each year since 1994, also all as non-conference foes.

Each of the above series, during the time frames mentioned, was interrupted only by the COVID-19 outbreak in 2020.

Virginia and Virginia Tech have played Atlantic Coast Conference games since 2004, but their many meetings between 1937 and 2003 were as non-conference opponents. Texas A&M and LSU have met 57 times, 45 as non-conference rivals. West Virginia and Penn State have met 60 times, not once in a conference game.

It's clear in that context there's nothing to keep Texas or Texas A&M from playing li'l ol' Texas Tech.

It'd be good for the programs, good for the fans and good for UT brass to come down off their high horse.

Hah. Fuck you bitter little shithead. In no way, shape or form is it good Texas to keep playing this game. Also it’s not a rivalry. A rivalry should imply a degree of closeness in overall record or program. 

This game does nothing for Texas and after all the shit the pissant HC for Tech said I hope we never play Tech again. 

For Friday team needs to prep for Tech going for it on 4th down a lot, onside kicks, fake punts, Pop passes etc 

Edited by BrazilHorn
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

This needs to be on every wall of our locker room. Fuck tceh and yormark (is that even a real name?)

12 hours ago, mwaadeeb said:

Goddamn are we due for a complete game.

Definitely. Although I have to say, I finally got around to watching the condensed version of the ISU game (couldn't catch it live) and honestly came away from it thinking Texas played pretty well overall. Obviously some things you'd like back but it was the best full game of football Texas has played in several weeks. ISU is simply better than I gave them credit for. Becht can play - now some of that is the continued poor pass defense from Texas's part but he did have several nice throws. Yes there were touchdowns called back but Texas didn't make the debilitating, self-defeating mistakes that is has been making in recent weeks. If anything I felt a 10-point score line was probably a little misleading. It did not ever feel like ISU was going to be able to score enough to win.

To me this really feels like a no grey area game. I fully expect Tech to come out extremely aggressive and play their best game of the year. Either Texas prepares for that, matches the energy, and smokes them; or they don't and things spiral into a loss. We'll see if any lessons were learned form the OU game.

12 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Results at home: 27 point win against Rice, 21 point win against Wyoming, 26 point win against Kansas, 29 point win vs BYU, and 3 point win vs K-State. 

The only non-blowout at home was K-State. A top 15ish team against a back-up QB. 

The comparable games, at home, are Kansas and Wyoming. 

If you want to ignore the past two months of football then I agree there's nothing to debate. Don't really know what to say there. Wyoming also tied the game at 10 at the end of Q3 and Kansas trotted out a backup QB who had zero game prep after the starter was a last minute scratch.

• Hook 'Em 1

We have more history and similarities with Rice. Keep the UT-Rice rivalry alive!

4 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

If you want to ignore the past two months of football then I agree there's nothing to debate. Don't really know what to say there. 

In the last 2 months, 4/6 games have been on a neutral field or on the road. That's the point. It's almost like closer games happen on the road/neutral field as opposed to home games (which is why the spread also adjusts). 

• Hook 'Em 1

Joey can talk all he wants, he’s a new coach for Tech.  What’s being overlooked here is the fact that Tech had a strong losing tradition.  Every time they get close to going anywhere, they always fuck it up and lose.  They’re not going to roll into DKR and leave with a win.

• Hook 'Em 1

ISU mouthed off and gave this team incentive. The bullshit on the field after last year's game and Yormacks bitchassedeness is plenty incentive for Texas to kick the living shit out of Tech. 

Fuck Tech. Beat their ass and never have to play them again, ever. Treat them like we treat UofH. It will be a glorious night.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Longboard Horn said:

We're not scared. We literally gain nothing from playing them. 

Hall of Famer Norm Van Brocklin coached, among others, the Atlanta Falcons after his NFL career ended. At that time the fledgling AFL was trying hard to get games with the established NFL teams for legitimacy-by-association purposes. Atlanta refused to schedule any AFL teams. When Van Brocklin was asked why, he replied, "Three reasons: If you win big, you were supposed to; if they play you close, it's a moral victory for them; if they beat you, you gotta' get out of town." 

12 hours ago, Samson's Wig said:

That's not how Tech (or aggy) is wired. They don't have letdown games against Texas. Unfortunately for them, being motivated usually isn't enough to win in Austin.

• Pancho locked this topic
  • Pancho unlocked this topic