Game of Thrones Season 8 (NO BOOKSPOILERS) thread

dad

17 minutes ago, Sleepygrad said:

So the Stark kids, one of which is an all knowing psychic and another one is an assassin, finally find out who betrayed their father and kicked off the entire war and they’re NOT going to kill him?

Not every death is going to have some poetic justice to it. How should Little Finger have been killed?

Doesn't really matter because we got what we got.  That being said, the way it was done was dumb as shit.

Littlefinger has proven over and over to be a master manipulator.  He set up the overthrow of Bobby B.   He set up the entire war between the North/Lannisters.  He set up the murder of Joffery.  And then he got the people he just screwed over to give him land and titles and juice with the people who matter.  He worms his way into and takes over one of the biggest factions in Westeros and their giant army.  Oh, and he managed to make himself the richest dude in the seven kingdoms at the same time. 

So this guy, as badass as he is, has zero inkling of the danger he's in at Winterfell?  He sells Sansa off to the Boltons to get raped and tortured and just thinks she's cool with it?  Even though she has said to his face over and over she clearly ain't cool with it?  He technically runs the Eerie, but he knows Bronze Yohn hates his ass and likes Sansa.  So he should know he's never getting any backing there.  He has zero leverage over Sansa anymore.  And then like the conspiracy video shows, Bran basically straight up lets him know he's on to him with the whole "Chaos is a laddah!" line.  Our evil genius instead ignores all this to play Sansa against Arya.  And Sansa straight up tells him Arya is a stone-cold killer.  Not just a killer.  A killer who never fails/has magical assassin powers. 

Season 1-4 Littlefinger would have never found himself in that situation in the first place.  But if he did, he'd have bailed before we ever got to that council scene. 

If I had to come up with a better ending for him it would probably involve him realizing Sansa isn't under his control anymore, turning on her, denying her the Vale forces to save Jon, Sansa/Jon somehow getting out of that scrape anyway, and then Arya or Sansa tracking him down after he's used the Vale forces to basically make himself the ruler of central Westeros.  The Freys have been wiped out.  The Tullys are toast.  No one really controls all that territory.  Harrenhal is there and Lord of Harrenhal is the title he was given anyway from the Lannisters.  Hell, you could even rope Nymeria and the wolves who are roaming that area into the plot.  

I just think his end was sloppily done and didn't line up with who the character was.  Of course, that has been the case with a lot of characters since D&D had to take over from George.  Tyrion becoming a moron being one of the more glaring examples. 

And you say not every death is going to have some poetic justice to it, but that's clearly what D&D were going for with Littlefinger's death.  "Hah!  See!  Littlefinger got outwitted by Sansa!"  It was just done badly and kinda fell flat on its face.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SpiralOut said:

Oh, and he managed to make himself the richest dude in the seven kingdoms at the same time. 

littlefinger had more money than anyone in westeros?  I don’t remember that at all. 

unless you mean robin arryn’s money.  I know he sold lots of pussy but that wouldn’t buy him a castle. 

Edited by futureman

Just now, futureman said:

littlefinger had more money than anyone in westeros?  I don’t remember that at all. 

Easy to forget since it was all the way back in Season 1. 

He was Master of Coin.  He had brothels set up all over.  He was able to backstab Ned by paying off the Gold Cloaks.  When Tyrion takes over he mentions how Littlefinger had the magical ability to rub coins together and make more appear, etc.

Remember, Littlefinger was a nobody heir from the most minor of minor houses.  The reason Bobby B and the Lannisters kept him around was because he kept coming up with money for all their extravagant spending.  He uses his economic skills to become Master of Coin, sit on the Small Council, and then start pitting the important people against each other and gaining influence for himself. 

2 minutes ago, SpiralOut said:

He was Master of Coin.  He had brothels set up all over.  He was able to backstab Ned by paying off the Gold Cloaks.  When Tyrion takes over he mentions how Littlefinger had the magical ability to rub coins together and make more appear, etc.

Remember, Littlefinger was a nobody heir from the most minor of minor houses.  The reason Bobby B and the Lannisters kept him around was because he kept coming up with money for all their extravagant spending.  He uses his economic skills to become Master of Coin, sit on the Small Council, and then start pitting the important people against each other and gaining influence for himself. 

all that may be true but it just makes him a shrewd CFO who is lining his pockets a bit.  but the CFO of microsoft shines bill gates’ shoes.

17 minutes ago, SpiralOut said:

Doesn't really matter because we got what we got.  That being said, the way it was done was dumb as shit.

Littlefinger has proven over and over to be a master manipulator.  He set up the overthrow of Bobby B.   He set up the entire war between the North/Lannisters.  He set up the murder of Joffery.  And then he got the people he just screwed over to give him land and titles and juice with the people who matter.  He worms his way into and takes over one of the biggest factions in Westeros and their giant army.  Oh, and he managed to make himself the richest dude in the seven kingdoms at the same time. 

So this guy, as badass as he is, has zero inkling of the danger he's in at Winterfell?  He sells Sansa off to the Boltons to get raped and tortured and just thinks she's cool with it?  Even though she has said to his face over and over she clearly ain't cool with it?  He technically runs the Eerie, but he knows Bronze Yohn hates his ass and likes Sansa.  So he should know he's never getting any backing there.  He has zero leverage over Sansa anymore.  And then like the conspiracy video shows, Bran basically straight up lets him know he's on to him with the whole "Chaos is a laddah!" line.  Our evil genius instead ignores all this to play Sansa against Arya.  And Sansa straight up tells him Arya is a stone-cold killer.  Not just a killer.  A killer who never fails/has magical assassin powers. 

Season 1-4 Littlefinger would have never found himself in that situation in the first place.  But if he did, he'd have bailed before we ever got to that council scene. 

If I had to come up with a better ending for him it would probably involve him realizing Sansa isn't under his control anymore, turning on her, denying her the Vale forces to save Jon, Sansa/Jon somehow getting out of that scrape anyway, and then Arya or Sansa tracking him down after he's used the Vale forces to basically make himself the ruler of central Westeros.  The Freys have been wiped out.  The Tullys are toast.  No one really controls all that territory.  Harrenhal is there and Lord of Harrenhal is the title he was given anyway from the Lannisters.  Hell, you could even rope Nymeria and the wolves who are roaming that area into the plot.  

I just think his end was sloppily done and didn't line up with who the character was.  Of course, that has been the case with a lot of characters since D&D had to take over from George.  Tyrion becoming a moron being one of the more glaring examples. 

And you say not every death is going to have some poetic justice to it, but that's clearly what D&D were going for with Littlefinger's death.  "Hah!  See!  Littlefinger got outwitted by Sansa!"  It was just done badly and kinda fell flat on its face.

Show us again on the doll where you want to touch Littlefinger.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Show us again on the doll where you want to touch Littlefinger.

Same place your mother touched me last night!

Holy shit, I didn't know we weren't allowed to have slightly negative opinions of the direction of the show.  It's like, just my opinion, man.  If you guys love it, great.  I still love tons of stuff about the show.  Just thought that part was handled badly. 

Edited by SpiralOut

24 minutes ago, SpiralOut said:

Tyrion said he was borrowing that magic money from the Lannisters and the Iron Bank.  He had money, but he definitely wasn't the richest man in Westeros.

Edited by TriStone

Meh.  The living are still bickering over first kingdom problems while the dead stay singularly focused on their goal to kill errbody.  There is no outcome to this series that makes sense except the dead win, the Night King sits on the iron throne, and Jon, Dany, Tyrion, Cercei and everyone else reanimate as white walkers to close things out with a sudden musical ending singing Monty Python's "Always Look at the Bright Side of Life."

10 hours ago, SpiralOut said:

Same.

Benioff and Weiss can't write anything that good.  And they're out of time anyway.  Littlefinger was a loose end that needed to be tied up before we got to the Zombies v. Dragons stuff.  So they (clumsily) got rid of him.

Shame, too, since the character deserved a better send off.  But I imagine we're going to be seeing a lot of that in these final few episodes.  Lots of characters are going to get the axe in unsatisfying ways because we're speeding along to the end and there's no time to give them their due.

IDK, I really enjoyed Littlefinger's groveling and begging for his life.  Satisfied me, anyway. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SpiralOut said:

Why would a master manipulator ever feel that he couldn't weasel his way out of any situation?  You said it yourself.  He's a badass, and he knows it.  Why should he worry?  A random line from a conversation in the Littlefinger's past is supposed to suddenly make him understand the extent of Bran's abilities?  Even if he knew that Bran was now the Three Eyed Raven, how would he know what that means?  No one fully understands it.  Not Littlefinger, not Sansa, not Sam, not even Bran....okay maybe the Night King does.     

Bran's abilities should also lay to rest any theories that the person who died wasn't actually Littlefinger.  On top of that, someone else in a Littlefinger mask would not have reacted that way.  They would have had to know about all the shit from his past that was mentioned, and they certainly would not have been so desperate if they were expecting to die.  

Littlefinger's death was deserved, satisfying, and plausible for what we have been shown.  Sorry he's gone, but unless you are a ginger with a vagina and Tully blood, you aren't his type anyway. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Sleepygrad said:

So the Stark kids, one of which is an all knowing psychic and another one is an assassin, finally find out who betrayed their father and kicked off the entire war and they’re NOT going to kill him?

Not every death is going to have some poetic justice to it. How should Little Finger have been killed?

Whores... or the moon door.

3 hours ago, idigTexas said:

Why would a master manipulator ever feel that he couldn't weasel his way out of any situation?  You said it yourself.  He's a badass, and he knows it.  Why should he worry?  A random line from a conversation in the Littlefinger's past is supposed to suddenly make him understand the extent of Bran's abilities?  Even if he knew that Bran was now the Three Eyed Raven, how would he know what that means?  No one fully understands it.  Not Littlefinger, not Sansa, not Sam, not even Bran....okay maybe the Night King does.     

Bran's abilities should also lay to rest any theories that the person who died wasn't actually Littlefinger.  On top of that, someone else in a Littlefinger mask would not have reacted that way.  They would have had to know about all the shit from his past that was mentioned, and they certainly would not have been so desperate if they were expecting to die.  

Littlefinger's death was deserved, satisfying, and plausible for what we have been shown.  Sorry he's gone, but unless you are a ginger with a vagina and Tully blood, you aren't his type anyway. 

You're a master manipulator who is phenomenal at working people, their motivations, and things that aren't outside the scope of human politicking, etc.  Then you find out dragons are real, zombie dead people are real, the kid you had stabbed with your own dagger is now a crazy prophet seer who is quoting your own evil lines back to you, and your protege's sister who you're trying to fuck around with is a top-level assassin and you're not gonna worry?  Not even a little bit? 

Honestly, I think part of the reason that whole plot line doesn't sit well with me is because of how goofily done they tried to set up the tension.  The whole Sansa v. Arya thing where Arya is telling Sansa she wonders what it would be like to take her face and be Lady of Winterfell is just awkward.  Whole thing just felt off to me.

Again though, Littlefinger had to go.  The show has no time for anything else.  So in that context, eh, it's fine. 

Edited by SpiralOut

12 hours ago, SpiralOut said:

Didn’t he just borrow all of the money? Isn’t that what Tyrion discovered when they made him Master of Coin?

Honestly, I think part of the reason that whole plot line doesn't sit well with me is because of how goofily done they tried to set up the tension.  The whole Sansa v. Arya thing where Arya is telling Sansa she wonders what it would be like to take her face and be Lady of Winterfell is just awkward.  Whole thing just felt off to me.

This was just misdirection for the audience and didn’t make sense for the plot. I’ll give you that.

I do like how the stark kids, except Sansa, get close to each other from time to time but can never reunite. At this time, I don’t see how any of their journeys can have an impact on the war. 

Also as an aside, all I can think about maester pycelle is dick van dyke in Mary poppins. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

Given that spiral that Umber was nailed to, and that the White Walkers have employed before, it'll be hilarious if all the Night King wants is to find the remaining Children of the Forest and have his revenge by ass raping them to death with an ice prick, then head back home.

What a collective "Well, shit" that would be from the wildlings/northmen/Dany/Jon/etc.  "We could have just stayed out of the way and gone about our business.  Fuck."

8 minutes ago, Augustus said:

Given that spiral that Umber was nailed to, and that the White Walkers have employed before, it'll be hilarious if all the Night King wants is to find the remaining Children of the Forest and have his revenge by ass raping them to death with an ice prick, then head back home.

What a collective "Well, shit" that would be from the wildlings/northmen/Dany/Jon/etc.  "We could have just stayed out of the way and gone about our business.  Fuck."

So...a Penn State episode?

So the new episode leaked. Some people saying it’s one of the best non battle episodes(obviously not a spoiler as it’s been clear for months that’s episode 3)of the show. Could be just hype.

I enjoyed it. But when do I not?

Yep. I watched and enjoyed it but the people who didn’t like last week probably won’t like this one either.
  • Like 1

All the bar watch parties evaporated except two. I’m still wary of watching at home cause of the lag issues y’all mentioned so it’s either the straight bar about a twenty min walk away or the gay bar down the block. Both had drink specials. So I called both to double check they were still showing it and the straight bar said they were only doing an after party and to come hungry. Wtf?!! Gay bar it is. Not much turn out yet but drink specials good... hope it’s a good episode!

All the bar watch parties evaporated except two. I’m still wary of watching at home cause of the lag issues y’all mentioned so it’s either the straight bar about a twenty min walk away or the gay bar down the block. Both had drink specials. So I called both to double check they were still showing it and the straight bar said they were only doing an after party and to come hungry. Wtf?!! Gay bar it is. Not much turn out yet but drink specials good... hope it’s a good episode!

I watched it right at 8pm last week on HBO Go/Amazon Prime with little to no lag. Even when it did lag it wasn’t very noticeable.
  • Like 1

• immamac changed the title to Game of Thrones Season 8 (NO BOOKSPOILERS) thread