Game of Thrones Season 8 (NO BOOKSPOILERS) thread

dad

We all knew how it would end.  Hell, Bran was #1 in the Vegas betting pools.  We knew Jon would kill Dragon lady because she was crazy.  

The scene at the end of them trying to figure out how to run a government was fitting.  That's kind of what the show was always about.

I'm just going to pretend that the series ended on a cliffhanger with Drogon flying away towards the horizon after melting the iron throne.

The remainder of the episode was the worst television relative to expectations I have personally experienced.  

Ok. With the war over and the queen dead, why don’t the Dothraki and unsullied just go home before getting justice? They weren’t from around kings landing, nobody killed the queen and claimed control. There isn’t anyone to direct them beyond the seven kingdoms. Jobs done. Enjoy peace. They fought for the queen. She gone.

It’s not fair? Fuck you. It’s war. Nothing has been fair. Go home.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Yep. I was hoping the white walkers would wipe out Westeros for a while.  Westeros went from being asshole characters who were well written to shitty written characters. 

King Bran is the dumbest thing ever. But it probably made sense in the writers heads. A lot of women were upset that Dany was turned into the mad queen and that the patriarchy was gonna win. So they get together and think "who is more disenfranchised than women?" Disabled people. Let's do that. Bran's the only possibility, nobody else?  Too late to write in a new character? Fuck it, let's do it anyway.  King Bran."

imgur

So they built up Jon to be a great swordsman, and he literally didn't have a single meaningful fight in a season full of war. Putting him on a dragon at Winterfell was utterly pointless. Greyworm vs. Jon was right there for them. It made plenty of sense, and two characters we generally like fighting each other has been pretty damn memorable in the past (Brienne and the Hound). I guess it made TOO much sense.

Also, the Unsullied take his sword when he's going to visit a prisoner that they're going to execute anyway, but he gets to keep his weapons visiting the queen alone on a day when her Hand has already turned on her. Not great, Bob.

• Like 3

So Grey Worm is going to Naarth. Do they know about the butterfly disease or is that a book thing?  I only learned about it when I googled Naarth to make sure it was Misandi’s home. If he knows about it it means he’s ending the unsullied. . 

Edited by TexasEd

9 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

So they built up Jon to be a great swordsman, and he literally didn't have a single meaningful fight in a season full of war. Putting him on a dragon at Winterfell was utterly pointless. Greyworm vs. Jon was right there for them. It made plenty of sense, and two characters we generally like fighting each other has been pretty damn memorable in the past (Brienne and the Hound). I guess it made TOO much sense.

Also, the Unsullied take his sword when he's going to visit a prisoner that they're going to execute anyway, but he gets to keep his weapons visiting the queen alone on a day when her Hand has already turned on her. Not great, Bob.

Greyworm vs JOhn would've been epic.  

Jon's visit to the queen was unauthorized, btw.  He just found her.  

Again, I'm gonna say Bran, you're a real asshole.  The council is going to be concerned about the unsullied?  GMAB.  

8 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Tyrion should have put a knife in her at the top of the steps. Then get dealt. Sacrifice for the Relm.

So the guy who did the least to help the realm was really just playing chess to get the Throne?  Because he k ew what was coming and he let it go down. “Make it be “their” decision”.  Fucking long game asshole. 

Was ok until the murder, went Mel brooks after that. 

There were gay guys dancing at the end?

12 minutes ago, TexasEd said:

So Grey Worm is going to Naarth. Do they know about the butterfly disease or is that a book thing?  I only learned about it when I googled Naarth to make sure it was Misandi’s home. If he knows about it it means he’s ending the unsullied. . 

*Naath

Jon is headed Naarth.

20 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Also, the Unsullied take his sword when he's going to visit a prisoner that they're going to execute anyway, but he gets to keep his weapons visiting the queen alone on a day when her Hand has already turned on her.

This really bothered me.

14 minutes ago, Barry_McCokiner said:

Jon's visit to the queen was unauthorized, btw.  He just found her. 

"Hey Daenerys, you just dropped your mixtape on an entire city, but not everyone is a fan.  Maybe we should turn on the ADT?"

"Nah, it's fine."

• Like 2

Just now, HenryJames said:

"Hey Daenerys, you just dropped your mixtape on an entire city, but not everyone is a fan.  Maybe we should turn on the ADT?"

"Nah, it's fine."

Right, she is just walking around with no security?

Bran: you guys stay here and argue about how to rebuild our future. I'm gonna go "search" for Drogon.

Fuck you, Bran. Get your fucking feet dirty. Get down in the mud and do some day-to-day work you pointless shithead.

And leave Drogon the fuck alone. The last thing he needs is a milquetoast character living for free in his head. Or is finding Drogon a euphemism for pulling one off?

8 hours ago, dad said:

Damn Jon just stays getting fucked over. The motherfucker died for everyone and this is how he is repaid?!

In front of the council, Jon shoulda grabbed No Worm's sword, slice him in half and told the rest of them "Fuck you. No fucking Night Watch for me. Been there done that. I'm gonna go have some fucking fun and get laid."

In front of the council, Jon shoulda grabbed No Worm's sword, slice him in half and told the rest of them "Fuck you. No fucking Night Watch for me. Been there done that. I'm gonna go have some fucking fun and get laid."

Aye

9 minutes ago, d2o said:

Right, she is just walking around with no security?

What, are you suggesting that there should be some sort of protection to guard the queen?   Some kind of Queen's guard of knights who are sworn to protect her at all costs, which would have prevented armed people from just walking up on her?   Nah, that would be crazy. 

•Bran went from, "I can't be the Lord of Winterfell; i'll never be the Lord of anything", to "lulz, i was planning to be king this whole time fagets!" in two or three episodes, making everything we've ever known about the 3ER no longer actually true

worst. season. ever. 

Lmao. Exactly.

I could have maybe been OK with the endings had it not been rushed. Took all this time to get here and in 2 episodes all is decided in KL and character motivations just flipped switches. Such a mess and waste of great character stories...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the people saying arya didnt use her powers...she took out all of the Frey's with faceless men skills

And the Nightking...sure it wasnt done well but her training is what allowed her to pull it off
So we saw her use her ninja skills once 4 years ago.... after watching 10 episodes of her developing them
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

so the supposed ending that leaked last week that everyone would hate . . . was that actually what happened?

Yes.  It's actually been out for weeks, and the predictions for the previous episodes have been increasingly spot on, so it was clear by last week this is how it would end.

Edited by Bateshorn

Dany's last second proposal to Jon was the standard marriage pact: "We'll do it together... as long as we do things my way... If not, you're gonna have to listen to me screeching around the castle day in day out about what a worthless shit you are."

Jon saw his future and had no choice but to take her out.

Grey worm was never more than the producers' PC entry. They couldn't kill him off. He never did shit.

• Like 3

Mr Snow.  We would all like to thank you for your hard work, dedication, and dying.  On behalf of Westeros and the rest of senior management, we would like to offer you a sizable tract of land, a large number of scruffy workers, and a big dog with one ear.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Has anyone figured out why 1) the nights watch is still a thing and 2) why there's a gate at the wall after it was blown open? 

The Wall was blown open at Eastwatch, not Castle Black. But yeah, no idea why the Night's Watch is still a thing. Gotta send bastards and criminals somewhere I guess.

26 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

What, are you suggesting that there should be some sort of protection to guard the queen?   Some kind of Queen's guard of knights who are sworn to protect her at all costs, which would have prevented armed people from just walking up on her?   Nah, that would be crazy. 

I get this part at least.  Before entering the chamber, didn't Jon pass both a large contingent of guards and Drogon himself.  Nobody else could get that close to her.  

• Like 1

So we saw her use her ninja skills once 4 years ago.... after watching 10 episodes of her developing them
Im not defending the BS they pulled rushing to the end...just saying she did get to use her skills

Yeah we woulda loved for her to kill cersei/dani with a face but we got this lame crap

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

The Wall was blown open at Eastwatch, not Castle Black. But yeah, no idea why the Night's Watch is still a thing. Gotta send bastards and criminals somewhere I guess.

Like what are they defending against? Does the Night King have a son? 

6 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Has anyone figured out why 1) the nights watch is still a thing and 2) why there's a gate at the wall after it was blown open? 

The Free Folk probably wanted a gate as much as anyone.   The wall is a well defined limit of the domain of the kings/queens in the south.  They don’t want a bunch of knee-benders from the south traipsing about on eco-tourism.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, 6th Street said:

Like what are they defending against? Does the Night King have a son? 

They aren't defending against anything now.  The nights watch was effectively a prison sentence where the entire kingdom sent their unwanted.  The unwanted still exists so the nights watch does as well.

• immamac changed the title to Game of Thrones Season 8 (NO BOOKSPOILERS) thread