2024 Texas Football Coaching and Support Staff Thread

4 hours ago, closetojumping said:

This is even more hilarious. Bjork has 5+ months to be a lamer at ATM, continue to irritate people while recruiting people. 

The other great thing about July 1 is that Smith isn't doing shit at Ohio State from here on out. It's his *earned* thank you tour through the end of baseball season. Bjork coming in playing from behind and being a general idiot is a good move for anyone rooting against Ohio State, which we should all be doing. 

Anyone worried about ATM getting an AD pick right should get off the toilet and stop squatting to pee. They'll probably hire someone "from the inside" just as a reflex from having outsiders not please them. That would be hilarious and long-lasting. 

Also of note, aggy could very well be in the market for a men's basketball coach. They really don't have 5 months to make this hire. 

Just now, Rickylovesweed said:

Also of note, aggy could very well be in the market for a men's basketball coach. They really don't have 5 months to make this hire. 

Texas is going to be hiring a coach too 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 4

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

FIFY, unfortunately.  

You obviously have more insight but it would be interesting if somebody like Bill Donovan is fired. Timing is everything and I think he's likely going to be fired this year by the Bulls. 

If he's available, it would be beyond dumb to not go after him. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, DanTheHorn said:

I was only partially paying attention, but I honestly thought the talk on here about Bjork going to tOSU was a joke.

I didn't know why it was being brought up because I couldn't comprehend any one actually hiring him after the Jimbo, Stoops, to Elko debacle.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

You obviously have more insight but it would be interesting if somebody like Bill Donovan is fired. Timing is everything and I think he's likely going to be fired this year by the Bulls. 

If he's available, it would be beyond dumb to not go after him. 

I wonder if Sean Miller would still be interested. He would be a HR hire, I think.

9 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

I was only partially paying attention, but I honestly thought the talk on here about Bjork going to tOSU was a joke.

I didn't know why it was being brought up because I couldn't comprehend any one actually hiring him after the Jimbo, Stoops, to Elko debacle.

I take his hire as tOSU buying his explanation that no one was letting him do his job and all the dysfunction was caused by other stupid people making these stupid decisions.  Think about it. They would have to believe that these weren’t actions initiated or carried out by him. 
But the best part is that obviously they found it in character for A&M and totally believable. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, CTC2 said:

I take his hire as tOSU buying his explanation that no one was letting him do his job and all the dysfunction was caused by other stupid people making these stupid decisions.  Think about it. They would have to believe that these weren’t actions initiated or carried out by him. 
But the best part is that obviously they found it in character for A&M and totally believable. 

So..…Bjork is not the head of the snake?

Edited by Cairn Horn88

7 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I was bored and went through the coaching staffs for each of the remaining playoff teams.  Listed below are the coaches who seemed like possibilities to me (but I'm an idiot).  They all have some college coaching experience and in the case of one an extensive HS coaching background.  A couple of entries have pretty light resumes but have long NFL careers.

Houston Texans:
Jacques Cesaire DL coach - 5 years at Univ of San Diego as DL coach, 9 years as DE for San Diego Chargers
Rod Wright Asst DL Coach

Green Bay Packers:
Jerry Montgomery DL coach -11 years in college at OU, Michigan, Wyoming.  Last 9 years in NFL

Detroit Lions:
John Scott Jr. DL Coach - First year in Detroit.  Previously coached at Penn St., South Carolina, and Arkansas
Wayne Blair QC - Long time Florida HS head coach, spent last two years coaching DLine in Detroit.  Played at Tulane and CFL

Buffalo Bills:
Marcus West Asst D-Line - Prior to joining Bills in 2022 spent 14 years as college D-Line coach (Charlotte, Minn, Austin Peay)

San Francisco 49ers:
Darryl Tapp Asst D-Line - 12 year NFL veteran.  Coached D-Line at V-Tech for 2 seasons.  Joined 49ers in 2022.

Apparently it could be a guy on a recently fired coaches team as well. Teams control their contracts and rights to interview even if a HC is canned.

1 hour ago, LCHorn said:

If true, seems a little underwhelming when the $9.95 reports have been "a hire on the level of a Bo Davis". 

So if it’s Wright - fine, whatever, hope he kicks some ass - why can’t he pull a Choate?  If he’d agreed to take the job, then he would have had permission from the Texans, right?  If so, then why not announce him asap so that he can begin to make contact w recruits and transfers etc?  I’m honest that I don’t know if the NFL has specific rules on this compared to CFB

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, horny_gunman said:

So if it’s Wright - fine, whatever, hope he kicks some ass - why can’t he pull a Choate?  If he’d agreed to take the job, then he would have had permission from the Texans, right?  If so, then why not announce him asap so that he can begin to make contact w recruits and transfers etc?  I’m honest that I don’t know if the NFL has specific rules on this compared to CFB

Sounds like Bobby Slowik is going to get a HC job. Seems possible all that shuffling on the Texans staff could lead to Rod Wright getting an NFL promotion. 

4 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

Sounds like Bobby Slowik is going to get a HC job. Seems possible all that shuffling on the Texans staff could lead to Rod Wright getting an NFL promotion. 

Makes sense then.  Thank you. I’ll find something else to bide my time until the next transfer then

Kinda doubt the OC maybe getting another job would delay an announcement for an assistant DL coach. That's a lot of what-ifs away from being something relevant. Who knows though.

Interesting side note I just read on his Wiki - after two years as an assistant for the Redskins, Slowik worked as an analyst for PFF for three years before joining the 49ers. 

8 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Kinda doubt the OC maybe getting another job would delay an announcement for an assistant DL coach. That's a lot of what-ifs away from being something relevant. Who knows though.

Interesting side note I just read on his Wiki - after two years as an assistant for the Redskins, Slowik worked as an analyst for PFF for three years before joining the 49ers. 

I’m saying, what if Wright wants to see how it plays out. Who knows, but if it is Wright, I like that’s he’s professional enough to not leak it during a playoff run. He owes it to his current employer. 

Edit: also it seems clear Slowik IS getting a HC job. He’ll probably take guys he trusts to run his defense. 

Edited by Ricky Butler

23 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

The only reason he doesn't get one is if he wants to stay as OC for HOU.

28 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Excited to see the DL hire but I’m more excited to see how we fill out the support staff. I bet that some of those Bama support staffers are going to end up in Austin. Hopefully we can get some of their recruiting and player personnel people too. 

Taking the likeable guy from Saban’s staff continues to pay dividends.

• Hook 'Em 2

31 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

Like most people in the world, one year in Houston is probably enough for a lifetime. 

Most people in the world would probably kill or use their meager life savings on a dangerous land/sea crossing to live in Houston forever.

• Hook 'Em 5

49 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Most people in the world would probably kill or use their meager life savings on a dangerous land/sea crossing to live in Houston forever.

"dangerous land/sea crossing" is an interesting way to describe Hwy 6 to US-290

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Excited to see the DL hire but I’m more excited to see how we fill out the support staff. I bet that some of those Bama support staffers are going to end up in Austin. Hopefully we can get some of their recruiting and player personnel people too. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Prepare your anus 1

It feels like we're not concerned about Nansen leaving anymore as we shouldn't, but this should put a stop to anyone still anxious. Confident Arizona isn't spending ~40% of their assistant coach pool on a DC

• Hook 'Em 4