2024 Texas Football Coaching and Support Staff Thread

RaysBoomBoomRoom

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Since Rod Wright isn't hired yet....I'm going to unrealistically assume our new DL coach is one of the 4-5 teams in the AFC/NFC championship games lol

John Scott Jr makes the most sense right now

5 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

Yeah, I don't think it gets more obvious than that. 

I don't know how much weight you can put into that, but I hope it's Rod.  Loved him as player and think he has a chance to do really well at Texas for a long time.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Since Rod Wright isn't hired yet....I'm going to unrealistically assume our new DL coach is one of the 4-5 teams in the AFC/NFC championship games lol

Is Mike MacDonald good enough for the job?

9 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Here are candidates

Anthony Weaver - AHC/Defensive Line(Baltimore)
Kris Kocurek - Defensive Line(49ers)
John Scott Jr - Defensive Line(Lions)
Eric Washington - AHC/Defensive Line(Bills) OR Marcus West - Assistant Defensive Line(Bills)
OR
Joe Cullen - Defensive Line(Bills) OR Terry Bradden - Defensive Line(Bills)

😂

Bobby may have slipped just now(timestamped)

Well, there it is gif 

We should probably hear an announcement by tomorrow at the latest if that is the case. 

12 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Here are candidates

Anthony Weaver - AHC/Defensive Line(Baltimore)
Kris Kocurek - Defensive Line(49ers)
John Scott Jr - Defensive Line(Lions)
Eric Washington - AHC/Defensive Line(Bills) OR Marcus West - Assistant Defensive Line(Bills)
OR
Joe Cullen - Defensive Line(Bills) OR Terry Bradden - Defensive Line(Bills)

😂

Bobby may have slipped just now(timestamped)

I had Dr. Gary Kocurek in geology at UT. All signs point to yes?

https://www.jsg.utexas.edu/researcher/gary_kocurek/

• Hook 'Em 3

IT on a new analyst. Timu was an assistant DL coach with the Chargers this year

We believe John Timu is on staff as an analyst. We heard a name 'close' to his over the weekend but the recruits we talked to were struggling to remember it accurately. Timu makes sense. He was recruited to Washington by Johnny Nansen.

Before joining the coaching ranks, Timu played three NFL seasons (2015-17) for the Chicago Bears, appearing in 29 career games and making nine starts at linebacker. In a 2015 win at Tampa Bay, he had six tackles and recovered two fumbles, becoming the first Bears defender to record multiple fumble recoveries in a single game since 2012. After being waived during final roster cuts prior to the 2018 season, Timu signed with the Salt Lake Stallions of the Alliance of American Football in early 2019.

Timu was a three-year starting linebacker at Washington, earning honorable mention All-Pac-12 recognition following his senior season in 2014. That year, he led the Huskies with 108 total tackles, while adding 10 passes defensed and two interceptions, including one he returned 63 yards for a touchdown.

• Hook 'Em 7

29 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

We believe John Timu is on staff as an analyst. We heard a name 'close' to his over the weekend but the recruits we talked to were struggling to remember it accurately. Timu makes sense. He was recruited to Washington by Johnny Nansen.

Before joining the coaching ranks, Timu played three NFL seasons (2015-17) for the Chicago Bears, appearing in 29 career games and making nine starts at linebacker. In a 2015 win at Tampa Bay, he had six tackles and recovered two fumbles, becoming the first Bears defender to record multiple fumble recoveries in a single game since 2012. After being waived during final roster cuts prior to the 2018 season, Timu signed with the Salt Lake Stallions of the Alliance of American Football in early 2019.

Timu was a three-year starting linebacker at Washington, earning honorable mention All-Pac-12 recognition following his senior season in 2014. That year, he led the Huskies with 108 total tackles, while adding 10 passes defensed and two interceptions, including one he returned 63 yards for a touchdown.

Fuck. Yes. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

Timu would have also played for PK his senior year at UW, and would have been a GA under PK at UW for two year as well after his playing career ended. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, ClubWhatever said:

So he was offered it.

I will not confirm or deny sark has offered me the position of chief liaison to surly for $2.5m per year, with a $treefiddy buyout clause. 

Edited by troph

5 minutes ago, SamMan said:

Totally. Hiring a guy who was drafted by Nick Saban, coached by Dan Quinn, worked under Bo Davis for three years, has eight years of experience coaching the position in college, has recruited the state of Texas extensively, most recently coached in college at the University of Miami, is currently on staff in the NFL for a team that played exceptional defense this year, and happens to be a former all-American DT at UT…is too big of a risk.

giphy.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Go look at Davis’ resume before Saban hired him at Bama.

LSU as a grad assistant and then assistant coach at North Shore-I mean, if we trying to Moneyball this shit we’d have to agree that’s really good clay as a starting point.  Moreover he wasn’t hired to coach the DL, he was hired by Saban to be an assistant strength and conditioning coach (which was probably a way to skirt the rules on assistant count as I’m sure he was assisting with the position).  

Plus that gave him three years under Saban, learning from the best program builder of all time before he was fully responsible for a position group.  

Rod, by contrast, has a resume of being just an ordinary Joe working for primarily offensive minded head coaches.  

Samuel L Jackson Reaction GIF by Coming to America

13 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

LSU as a grad assistant and then assistant coach at North Shore-I mean, if we trying to Moneyball this shit we’d have to agree that’s really good clay as a starting point.  Moreover he wasn’t hired to coach the DL, he was hired by Saban to be an assistant strength and conditioning coach (which was probably a way to skirt the rules on assistant count as I’m sure he was assisting with the position).  

Plus that gave him three years under Saban, learning from the best program builder of all time before he was fully responsible for a position group.  

Rod, by contrast, has a resume of being just an ordinary Joe working for primarily offensive minded head coaches.  

Is this a bit?

Edited by Chili dog
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

18 minutes ago, SamMan said:

Totally. Hiring a guy who was drafted by Nick Saban, coached by Dan Quinn, worked under Bo Davis for three years, has eight years of experience coaching the position in college, has recruited the state of Texas extensively, most recently coached in college at the University of Miami, is currently on staff in the NFL for a team that played exceptional defense this year, and happens to be a former all-American DT at UT…is too big of a risk.

Stephen Colbert Murder GIF by The Late Show With Stephen Colbert

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

Even for Satya, this is truly impressive mental gymnastics. So you are saying that Bo Davis being an assistant stength coach and assistant High School coach is somehow better than Wright's resume at the same point in his career?  

• Haha 2

Take it FWIW but here is a tidbit from Jason Suchomel a few days ago: 

While there continues to be smoke that Houston Texans assistant defensive line coach and former Texas All-American Rod Wright could become the new Texas defensive line coach, one source in the Texans organization was surprised by the suggestion when I asked about him on Thursday, although he was highly complimentary. "New Texas DL coach? We haven’t heard anything at all but we’re locked in on B’More," the source said. "If so, awesome get!! He’s been instrumental for these guys this year. EXTREMELY VALUABLE. Today, when they were going through walkthrough, he was leading the group…which is pretty awesome for a “defensive assistant”. The players and DeMeco can’t say enough about him. Great communicator and a major reason why our run defense/overall play has improved greatly."

• Hook 'Em 9

1 minute ago, Vertigo said:

Even for Satya, this is truly impressive mental gymnastics. So you are saying that Bo Davis being an assistant stength coach and assistant High School coach is somehow better than Wright's resume at the same point in his career?  

Yes--I think it's a better resume through that point.  You could also make the comparison that Bo Davis, 13 years into his career, had established a reputation has a high caliber DL coach with 6 years at the main guy at either Alabama or Texas.

Rod, by contrast, has one year at Miami and this year with the Texans that might be comparable in terms of responsibility or a resume builder.  That's just not the same level of success. 

2 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

Yes--I think it's a better resume through that point.  You could also make the comparison that Bo Davis, 13 years into his career, had established a reputation has a high caliber DL coach with 6 years at the main guy at either Alabama or Texas.

Rod, by contrast, has one year at Miami and this year with the Texans that might be comparable in terms of responsibility or a resume builder.  That's just not the same level of success. 

So tell us all, who are comparable coaching talents with similar levels of success in college football to Bo Davis? First we'll take some names, and then we'll examine how realistic any of them are for Texas to hire at this point.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

So tell us all, who are comparable coaching talents with similar levels of success in college football to Bo Davis? First we'll take some names, and then we'll examine how realistic any of them are for Texas to hire at this point.

Spoiler

spacer.png

• Haha 7

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Are you trying to make a point predicated on an impossible knowledge of who might be available for Texas?  If Rod is the hire are you taking it on faith that anyone with a better resume might have been unrealistic?  Was that your position when Sarkisian wanted to hire Mike Stoops? (presumably)

Look, I'm not going to pretend I know who is a good coach and why, beyond what I see on paper--that's not my profession and after hiring a bunch of folks in the past few years I don't feel entirely confident on why one worked and another didn't.

That said, I would look for traits--apprenticing under good coaches, particularly at high profile, peer level programs even in a junior capacity.  Maybe doing time at Sam and UTSA is a great training ground but it's also redolent of the Gideon hire and I'm skeptical on that one, too. 

Tashard Choice and Chris Jackson have both been homerun recruiters and well-regarded position coaches at a young age and with similar resumes.  We've got enough name brand experience up front with PK and Nansen.  I think Rod would be great to bring home to the 40.    

• Hook 'Em 6

The idea isn't for everyone to post there all the time, that site has a specific purpose and it's for clarification not talking shit that's what this site is for. it's why there is a seamless integration between the 2 that will improve over time.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Prepare your anus 2