2024 Texas Football Coaching and Support Staff Thread

RaysBoomBoomRoom

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Those two guys are like binary mouthbreathing pulsars, constantly dueling and repelling in a circle of perverted incompetence always trying to seem first and informed. 

This is amazing.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Sure, sure, let's go get an NFL DC to come back to college and coach our DL. Very cool, very reasonable. 

*failed DC.  So really it is just convincing a successful and highly compensated NFL d line coach who hasn’t coached college in 10+ years to come down and cater to the whims of teenagers.  Slam dunk imo 

58 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Not everything is as rational as your lawyerly thought process wishes to make it. Mike Stoops was part of Steve Sarkisian's staff and on his way to Texas when booster, social media, and forum outcry became so overwhelming that CDC and Sarkisian were forced to seek counsel and get religion. You may find that absurd but shit like that happens everyday and it's not always a problem. Stoops would have been a disaster at Texas on every level and those mean, oft-maligned big money know-nothings and their lowly Internet denizen cousins got it right by bullying the new guy and his boss out of a horrible decision. 

You're choosing to be oblivious (and wrong) here if you, or anyone else, want to read that and dismiss it.

If I'm being honest, I like that Sark was willing to change his position when he learned that everyone who cares about the program disagreed with him. I get that a lot of successful HCs are "my way or the highway" types, but that just doesn't seem like Sark's style. Not that he won't stick to his guns when he knows he's right, but it's good that he's willing to acknowledge he may occasionally be wrong. That was especially true in year 0. 

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

Oh, that Stoops.  I was referring to the Mark Stoops to aggy debacle.  But yes, with Mike Stoops, I doubt the Texas fans' reaction to hiring a Stoops was what swayed Sark.

Yeah, see follow up post.  Same answer.

done adam sandler GIF

4 hours ago, immamac said:

You can be a dick all you want here, why would you go somewhere just to poop in the Cheerios? The sites serve 2 different and complimentary purposes. It’s already getting about as much traffic as hornsports and it’s not even been launched for 4 days. 

dumb question:

what site y'all talking about?

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Nahlin needs the attention and needs to be "breaking" something, much like his clown arch villain, Geoff Ketchum.

Those two guys are like binary mouthbreathing pulsars, constantly dueling and repelling in a circle of perverted incompetence always trying to seem first and informed. 

This is a quagmire.

... it looks like the Typsy Gypsy rises again from the landfill ashes of Recruitocosm, like a deformed and bastardized phoenix.

Outstanding... 

The content of the article doesn’t have DeMeco shine a positive light on the DL coaching, so I’m not sure how Rod Wright escapes that scrutiny. But maybe Ryans thinks he’s the answer, and the “resources” they’ll invest will be players and not necessarily new coaches.

At least one assistant coach on the Texans’ staff won’t be returning for the 2024 season.

The Texans will let defensive line coach Jacques Cesaire’s contract expire, a person with knowledge of the decision said Tuesday. He won’t return for his third season and will explore other options, a source added.

Cesaire was one of the holdovers from Lovie Smith’s staff. He joined the Texans in 2022 after spending two seasons as the assistant defensive line coach in Buffalo. His contract was up after this season.

The Texans set a franchise record for sacks (46) in 2023. They were also sixth-best in the NFL against the run. But they struggled two of the past three weeks.

In Saturday’s divisional playoff loss to Baltimore, the Ravens ran for 229 yards and two touchdowns against them. It was the second time in three weeks that the Texans allowed 200 yards rushing.

Head coach DeMeco Ryans said one of his priorities this offseason is to improve the defensive line.

“The front, again, is everything for me, and we’ll invest a ton of resources into the front,” Ryans said Monday. “If you want to play good defense, your front has to be elite, and that’s what I envision us playing: elite defensive football.

“And we have to get better there — and to get better there — you have to invest the resources there up front, so that’s what we’ll do. That’s where our focus is heading into the offseason is to make sure our front gives us an opportunity to win some games.”

1 minute ago, MirrOlure said:

Think he has the rèsumè to get hired as an NFL DLine Coach????

Did Harbaugh have the resume to be the Head Coach in Baltimore?

Rod is the assistant DL coach now... maybe he impressed DeMeco.

2 hours ago, South Austin said:

spacer.png

Well, of course, we can go with obtuse as well, I guess.

35 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Wonder if Wright might be in line for a promotion

8 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

That article did not read like a team ready to promote someone on the current staff. 

I'm willing to bet that the guy Ryans recruited into the apprenticeship role is the guy he looks to now that he's removed his boss. I'll be surprised if Wright doesn't get the job. 

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Well, of course, we can go with obtuse as well, I guess.

I'm willing to bet that the guy Ryans recruited into the apprenticeship role is the guy he looks to now that he's removed his boss. I'll be surprised if Wright doesn't get the job. 

The article did point out the sack total as a high point... wasn't Rod working primarily with the DE's, or was that just at The U?

Edited by DixonHur

51 minutes ago, sith_horn said:

Kind of odd that their DL seemed to perform well all season long, then came up short the last couple of weeks.

always weird in sports from sportscasters and fans about a position not doing well all of a sudden. THEY WERE PLAYING BETTER TEAMS. I think he wants to hire rod tho 

2 hours ago, DixonHur said:

Did Harbaugh have the resume to be the Head Coach in Baltimore?

Rod is the assistant DL coach now... maybe he impressed DeMeco.

It was a joke (perhaps a tad too subtle) aimed at a poster way upthread who was questioning Rod Wright's resume.....

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Hookem10 said:

always weird in sports from sportscasters and fans about a position not doing well all of a sudden. THEY WERE PLAYING BETTER TEAMS. I think he wants to hire rod tho 

Certainly a possibility. Not going to watch any NFL to find out. Could have been scouted better, outmatched man-to-man or maybe just a poor defensive plan in those games. I guess my point in making the statement was, not sure one could infer from the failure whether the position coach(es) were to blame for the sudden change.

1 hour ago, BornAndRaised said:

Bobby's comments on the DL coach search from over on OTF. Also mentioned that its possible the Michigan DL coach goes with Harbaugh if he does dip to the NFL.

Hide contents

image.thumb.png.ebbe06fde764962e58e9c4a62eff335e.png

Asst. D-Line coach for the Lions: Cameron Davis - Prior to the Lions was a DL coach at Lamar University for a couple of years.  Spent a season as a Grad Asst at A&M.

https://www.detroitlions.com/team/coaches-roster/cameron-davis

Previously posted this - but these were the playoff teams coaches that I thought were realistic/reasonable.  I didn't include Davis because his resume is extremely light (but so was Chris Jackson's, so what the fuck do I know).

Houston Texans:
Jacques Cesaire DL coach - 5 years at Univ of San Diego as DL coach, 9 years as DE for San Diego Chargers
Rod Wright Asst DL Coach

Green Bay Packers:
Jerry Montgomery DL coach -11 years in college at OU, Michigan, Wyoming.  Last 9 years in NFL

Detroit Lions:
John Scott Jr. DL Coach - First year in Detroit.  Previously coached at Penn St., South Carolina, and Arkansas
Wayne Blair QC - Long time Florida HS head coach, spent last two years coaching DLine in Detroit.  Played at Tulane and CFL

Buffalo Bills:
Marcus West Asst D-Line - Prior to joining Bills in 2022 spent 14 years as college D-Line coach (Charlotte, Minn, Austin Peay)

San Francisco 49ers:
Darryl Tapp Asst D-Line - 12 year NFL veteran.  Coached D-Line at V-Tech for 2 seasons.  Joined 49ers in 2022.

9 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Asst. D-Line coach for the Lions: Cameron Davis - Prior to the Lions was a DL coach at Lamar University for a couple of years.  Spent a season as a Grad Asst at A&M.

https://www.detroitlions.com/team/coaches-roster/cameron-davis

Previously posted this - but these were the playoff teams coaches that I thought were realistic/reasonable.  I didn't include Davis because his resume is extremely light (but so was Chris Jackson's, so what the fuck do I know).

Houston Texans:
Jacques Cesaire DL coach - 5 years at Univ of San Diego as DL coach, 9 years as DE for San Diego Chargers
Rod Wright Asst DL Coach

Green Bay Packers:
Jerry Montgomery DL coach -11 years in college at OU, Michigan, Wyoming.  Last 9 years in NFL

Detroit Lions:
John Scott Jr. DL Coach - First year in Detroit.  Previously coached at Penn St., South Carolina, and Arkansas
Wayne Blair QC - Long time Florida HS head coach, spent last two years coaching DLine in Detroit.  Played at Tulane and CFL

Buffalo Bills:
Marcus West Asst D-Line - Prior to joining Bills in 2022 spent 14 years as college D-Line coach (Charlotte, Minn, Austin Peay)

San Francisco 49ers:
Darryl Tapp Asst D-Line - 12 year NFL veteran.  Coached D-Line at V-Tech for 2 seasons.  Joined 49ers in 2022.

The one I thought was a little interesting (who knows if attainable) when researching a response to @SydneyCarton yesterday was Austin Clark with the Dolphins.

Daryl Tapp with the 49’s and AC Carter with the Rams both had interesting resumes but not necessarily superior to Rod Wright’s.  

31 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

There's the name for the Surly flag football team.

Wait... do we dare form a real flag football team and compete?  CTJ is practically Xavier Worthy on the amateur level.  Who knows what kind of other talent we have in this place...

Edited by RabidM

I draw the line at Barry switzer in an analyst role, that happens I’m out. Of course sark learned the quick way stoops bros are no fucking way. It’s been that way since the fucking freedom bowl. We don’t eat bags of dicks, they do, some of us may suck them but that’s different. There is a world of difference between a cocksucker and a cockgobbler. Trust sark, now that he knows stoops is a cockgobbler.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4