ABC -KVUE contract dispute

HillCountryBevo

8 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

And I'm really worried about the user experience.

It's good. The apps (tablet and phone) are by far the best and most user-friendly.

My priorities:

1 - Channel-flipping, especially during football season

They have a "live guide" for flipping. You can organize the channel list to your preference, so you could put all the "football channels" right next to each other. 

2 - Live tv, all local stations plus all the popular cable channels

All the locals are included, as well as all of the "major" channels.  No Ballys or LHN, though.

3 - LHN, while it is still on.  Baseball season is important - will this keep me from cutting until May?

No LHN on YTTV. Borrow a login from a friend maybe, or wait until June.

4 - DVR - I record shows all the time to watch later and enjoy being able to skip through the commercials.

The DVR is unlimited space. If you record a series, it will organize the episodes by season and by episode number.  Only catch is recorded programs expire after 9 months.  This isn't an issue for series and movies that reair, but it does suck for sporting events.

How likely am I to be happy with what I get?

YTTV does have a some drawbacks, but on the whole it's still the best TV provider I've ever used.  Never going back to cable/sat.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

What kind of TV are you watching on? I've never heard anyone complain about YTTV quality before.

Haven't tried it on a TV, just checked it out on a workstation at home this morning.  (Monitor is ~ 24".)

TVs are something like 72" and 48" LED and a 48" plasma, which actually has the best picture.  None are 4K.

13 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Is YTTV the only source?  That video quality sucks.

With all due respect, what the fuck are you talking about? I watch YTTV on 75”:4K capable screens and it looks perfect. 

I see your most recent post. Please watch it on a TV. I think you may have been the one to describe your TVs as “long in the tooth.” Can’t help it if they are old tech. Certainly HD I hope!

Edited by Vito Andolini

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

What are the connectivity options (coax, HDMI, other)?  I need to check the inputs on our biggest screen.  I assume they're all HDMI.

The $9 "Antan" antenna that I got off of Amazon has a coax cable that screws into the "Cable/Antenna" outlet on the back of my TV.  Pretty simple.

1 minute ago, Native Horn said:

The $9 "Antan" antenna that I got off of Amazon has a coax cable that screws into the "Cable/Antenna" outlet on the back of my TV.  Pretty simple.

Yeah, I don't recall seeing a coax connection on our biggest screen but that's probably because I never needed it.  I'll look at lunch and go buy something.

12 hours ago, immamac said:

Is this for real? We watch most of the games that are on OTA on OTA at the tailgate. 4k uncompressed. Highest possible quality you can get is from OTA - how do none of you own a $15 thing that is so awesome. 

you can go get one at Best Buy, Walmart, anywhere that sells tvs really. If you are someone who can’t be bothered to go into a store you can get one from anywhere on the internet. 
https://www.rabbitears.info/searchmap.php

seems to only work on desktop. 

If you are talking about the rectangular device, I had one of those at one point.  I could only get a relative handful of channels compared to what I can pick up now with the HD antenna in the attic.  Had an app that helped set up optimum direction.   Breeze to set up.  Only thing that took effort was getting the cable run down to my cable\ethernet hub and even that was minimal. Only problem I have had was either Spectrum or ATT, for some reason, cut the cable and I had to re-run another.  I discovered that early this fall when DirecTV was squabbling with NBC provider and need an alternative so I could catch Sunday night football.  Like I mentioned, FOX can be a little iffy depending on the weather but that is it. 

tl;dr - So what if I have a HD antenna?  I am old.  Get the fuck off my lawn.

• Like 1

The current dispute is DirecTV vs TEGNA, a media group that owns multiple stations in multiple markets with multiple network affiliations. 

It has nothing to do with Disney or ABC. I believe the NBC affiliate in Waco/Temple/Killeen is also involved as a TEGNA station. 

The streaming vs. cable vs. satellite debate has been hashed out on these threads for years (search “cord cutting”), but I think this is the first time on the Football board. I’ve stood on the table many years for YouTubeTV as the best streaming service (I’ve tried most of them), while others may prefer others. I was a many year DirecTV subscriber before that, because I needed NFL Sunday Ticket to watch Longhorns in the NFL. 

I understand some are limited by their geographic situation, but if you can, dump DirecTV. It is shit and incredibly expensive. 

For DTV users, consider how you watch the service in secondary rooms (bedroom, den, patio, TV-equipped bathroom)… need a DVR or client? Some may now use a Direct associated streaming service, which was finally rolled out. But it can add up to a ridiculous sum. I was paying something in the neighborhood of $230 maybe? And those fucking clients NEVER worked.

With your streaming service, again, mine being YTTV, I watch the same account (it’s $79.01 a month) on all my TVs (they need to be “smart,” which can be accomplished by a $25 Roku or Fire Stick) and I can even watch it on my iPad or phone. I have unlimited DVR, it saves everything for a year, I get most of the channels I need (I use a family member’s old skool cable account to access LHN on the ESPN app) and I don’t really care about Bally (but can access that app, too thru the family member).

Yes, you need a strong internet service/WiFi. You certainly do not need a separate internet signal for your TVs and everything else.

There is a learning curve, maybe a “familiarity curve” is a better way to put it when one moves to streaming. The channel changing is different, it takes a second longer, you don’t punch in channel numbers on a remote. I still find myself scrolling down thru many rows of channels to get where I want. The “Home” section is a nice shortcut, it has a memory of where you’ve been before. But it’s a bit more effort for a superior yet much cheaper alternative.

I agree everyone should have antenna backup, unfortunately my house is either in a gully or the trees block the signals, but I get almost no reception thru an antenna. If you do, then that’s an easy option. I prefer watching things on a DVR so I can rewind or watch later, but antenna obviously can work for KVUE.

• Hook 'Em 1

YouTubeTV isn't an option for Astros fans (there are literally DOZENS of us!). 

The thing with "cutting the cord" is now they all bundle channels just like cable and satellite companies so the cost savings really isn't there for many of us - especially if you need a specific regional sports network (RSN). 

HOWEVER, if the RSNs keep dying then that will tip the scales to streaming if MLB and others just buy the rights back and provide it themselves.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Dog said:

YouTubeTV isn't an option for Astros fans (there are literally DOZENS of us!). 

The thing with "cutting the cord" is now they all bundle channels just like cable and satellite companies so the cost savings really isn't there for many of us - especially if you need a specific regional sports network (RSN). 

HOWEVER, if the RSNs keep dying then that will tip the scales to streaming if MLB and others just buy the rights back and provide it themselves.

FuboTV has Choke City Sports Network or whatever that's called that the Astros games are on.

• Haha 4
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

7 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

FuboTV has Choke City Sports Network or whatever that's called that the Astros games are on.

The major downside to Fubo is it doesn't have one of the channels that the first couple rounds of the MLB playoffs are on.  Can't remember if it's TBS or TNT.

Haven't tried it on a TV, just checked it out on a workstation at home this morning.  (Monitor is ~ 24".)
TVs are something like 72" and 48" LED and a 48" plasma, which actually has the best picture.  None are 4K.
That's your problem. Click on the gear in the lower right corner of the app to adjust the resolution. On a PC it will sometimes default to really low rez. You can adjust accordingly. You won't have to do this on your TVs as it will output to the highest quality available automatically.
  • Hook 'Em 1

If you get a antenna for the Austin area make sure you get one that is VHF and UHF. Fox broadcasts on VHF. the other stations are UHF.
Any antenna will pick up both formats, however to get the VHF signal 99% of the time you will need it to be attached to at least a window. UHF is more forgiving and you can usually put it anywhere inside your house & get a decent signal. Fox7 doesn't deal well with interior obstructions.

One more bit of anecdotal support for YTTV: my wife has not complained once about the UI since we switched from Spectrum cable. She had at least a year's worth of Roku, Apple TV & Spectrum TV app experience so it wasn't cold turkey, but it's very easy to use. Plus being able to organize your lineup & skip all the shit you don't watch is huge. Best feature is definitely multiview for sports.

If you're out in the sticks and somehow have a good cell signal turn your phone into a Hotspot and connect to the internet that way.

Had to set up a lot of people that way during lockdown while they wfh. We use enterprise level att service so you may not have the same experience. 

Edited by MissingInAction
  • Hook 'Em 1

Another option if you don't want to sign up for a new or different service is some Gmail fuckery and a free trial of fubo or yttv. If your Gmail address is surlyasshole@gmail.com, any insertion of periods is ignored by Gmail but appears as a new address to the provider. So

S.urlyasshole or surly.asshole or whatever still comes to your Gmail but looks like a new email address to them. Generate a new virtual number for my credit card and boom,  Bob's your uncle. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, pops said:

Another option if you don't want to sign up for a new or different service is some Gmail fuckery and a free trial of fubo or yttv. If your Gmail address is surlyasshole@gmail.com, any insertion of periods is ignored by Gmail but appears as a new address to the provider. So

S.urlyasshole or surly.asshole or whatever still comes to your Gmail but looks like a new email address to them. Generate a new virtual number for my credit card and boom,  Bob's your uncle. 

Neat

3 hours ago, Armybrat said:

I’ve been paying $293/month for Spectrum since the Obama administration.

(3 DVR boxes, Internet, and landline telephone bundle)

Is that a screw job?

Jim Carrey Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Damn I do not miss those days. Pay $30 a month for T-Mobile home wireless 5G and $13 a month for 2 services with virtually every channel in creation in the English speaking world. 

19 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tegna_Inc.

If the game was on NBC and you were in Buffalo you’d be SOL… but that’d be true for more than just this topic.

Once again, as UTexasFight points out, the beef is between DirecTV and TEGNA, not Disney/ABC. It affects TEGNA owned stations of various affiliations in multiple cities. You would also have a problem watching Survivor on CBS in Fort Smith or Fox’s Family Guy in Hartford or The Voice on NBC in Denver.

19 minutes ago, markstanco said:

So, promoter filed suit in Fed Court in Arkysaw, two years after the alleged act, asking $170,000 (plus unspecified exemplary and punitive damages plus "reasonable" attorney fees) based on allegations unsupported by evidence or testimony. I'm not gonna chase it any further, other than to note that the bar owner is the only accused, and that the audience members are innocent of any wrong-doing, regardless, and the same thing is true of you watching a stream on your internet connection whether it's "legal" or not.

Many years back, I had a business acquaintance who was a super-hotshot EE guy, and built himself a rig to  decode (before someone decided "decrypt" sounded more impressive) signals on his c-band 10-foot dish. It was glorious to watch the feeds when the show cut away on the local channels, live TV was rampant and a lot of things were said and seen on the sat feed that never reached local OTA viewers. 

When he got dragged into court, he argued, successfully, that he hadn't "intercepted" anything, because the signals were intentionally rained down on him from the satellite, and the sat people were in effect in the same position as a newspaper company throwing a paper printed in French on his porch every morning and trying to claim it was illegal for him to read the newspaper without their magic translator box... and he happened to be able to read, write, and speak French fluently. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 2

13 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

So, promoter filed suit in Fed Court in Arkysaw, two years after the alleged act, asking $170,000 (plus unspecified exemplary and punitive damages plus "reasonable" attorney fees) based on allegations unsupported by evidence or testimony. I'm not gonna chase it any further, other than to note that the bar owner is the only accused, and that the audience members are innocent of any wrong-doing, regardless, and the same thing is true of you watching a stream on your internet connection whether it's "legal" or not.

I was topld there was video evidence from inside the bar, but I have no idea.  Not the bar I would go to so didnt care. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Well, with all due respect, I already elaborated on that.  It could be something unique to my feed (bandwidth, etc.).

Go buy a fire stick from Amazon and plug it into one of your bigger TVs. YouTube TV offers a free trial. If it sucks, send it back cancel the trial. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, markstanco said:

I was topld there was video evidence from inside the bar, but I have no idea.  Not the bar I would go to so didnt care. 

Arky side of State St, I believe. Texarkana has always been confusing to me.

Oyster bar in Texarkana is not high on my bucket list, either.

Edited by Tex Long
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

I have Direct, ABC app with a Firestick is working fine for live TV (Kimmel) now. So ESPN3/+ should also be good to go this weekend for those affected. 

I'll post a stream for the P12 game tomorrow night too. 

I just installed the ABC app on my Roku.  The schedule shows games tonight and tomorrow.  It looks like this is an option for me.

anyone that has an IP-addressable tv purchased in the past 5 years 90% has the ESPN tile for the ESPN app already on the home screen

if not search for apps

select it and it will prompt you to authorize using "this device" or "another device"

choose "this device"

enter the email address for your Uverse or DirectTV login

you'll get an email saying "was this you?"

click yes, should authenticate and link all ESPN app access to your tv immediately

does not include +

does include 3

which is what we need to the pac game tonight, our game in the morning, and the sec game tomorrow