Texas opens as a 5 point favorite v Washington in the CFP Sugar Bowl

TexasMan

23 minutes ago, Hondo said:

I don't like how our secondary matches up against Penix, Odunze, and the other WRs.

I'm all in, LFG, and all that...but I wouldn't make a big bet on that line.

This, and heck, unless we just freaking crater, I’ll be thrilled with just being there. 

My opinion is that Washington’s offensive strength matches up well (for them) with our defensive weakness.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Keys to winning this game

1. Jump out to an early lead
2. Don't allow Washington any sort of running game.
3. Pressure Penix into bad throws

All 3 are doable, the last one most important. If Penix has time he can pick apart any secondary in the country, and ours has been shaky at times to say the least.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

Just now, ousux said:

Keys to winning this game

1. Jump out to an early lead
2. Don't allow Washington any sort of running game.
3. Pressure Penix into bad throws

All 3 are doable, the last one most important. If Penix has time he can pick apart any secondary in the country, and ours has been shaky at times to say the least.

I say play heavy umbrella coverage and hope our line can stop their run game. I’d take those odds. 

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

This, and heck, unless we just freaking crater, I’ll be thrilled with just being there. 

My opinion is that Washington’s offensive strength matches up well (for them) with our defensive weakness.

Yep.

If we can get past Washington, I like how we match up against Michigan or Alabama/McCarthy or Milroe.

I'm wondering if the way we can contain Washington's passing attack is by doing what inferior teams have done to us ... 3 safeties across the top.

Our run defense is stout enough we should be able to dedicate a 3rd dude across the top without losing all that much.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Don’t like that line, think it will come down. 
btw the huskies I talked to still hold a little bit of a grudge over sark ditching them for usc. 

That's the fans, I doubt the team or the current coaches give a shit what happened a decade ago.

5 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Had a month to game plan last year, didn't he?

I wouldn't use that as a comparison. 

Texas didn't have its top 2 backs (Roschon and Bijan) which meant Texas was playing a bunch of inexperienced players, best WR Worthy had a broken hand, and of course no AD was on the roster. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, ATXbronco said:

We're playing either Alabama or Michigan in the championship game!

This is going to be so amazing.  And we've already got tape & prep for Alabama.

image.thumb.png.78ad2456ed7fb6e6f9739a6678b1ad3c.png

I'm sure Harbaugh has plenty of tape of our sidelines.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Had a month to game plan last year, didn't he?

He was very clear treating that as practice for Ewers and the passing game first and trying to win second. He threw the ball 47 times vs 18 runs. Kielan Robinson led Texas in carries and rushing with 8/27. Texas also left points on the field via drops and bad throws.

I think Washington being a tough matchup for the Texas D carries over from last year, but the situation when Texas has the ball is quite different now.

12 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Penix averaged 5.3 yards per pass attempt against us last year, and his production this year is heavily skewed by racking up huge numbers against garbage OOC teams and the worst PAC 12 teams.  Before the Oregon game, he had just played two bad games in a row against Washington State and Oregon State.  

I’m not saying it’s a cakewalk, but Washington’s offense against good teams is not anything special.  It’s not like having to play Joe Burrow, Jamar Chase and Justin Jefferson.  We lost last year because we had zero rushing offense (and players sitting out), and we let them pop a big run.  They didn’t carve up our secondary, and we are a much, much better team this year in every way except for RB (which, again, Bijan and Roschon didn’t even play against them anyway).

I watched the Pac 12 championship game against Oregon.  Did you?

18 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Penix averaged 5.3 yards per pass attempt against us last year, and his production this year is heavily skewed by racking up huge numbers against garbage OOC teams and the worst PAC 12 teams.  Before the Oregon game, he had just played two bad games in a row against Washington State and Oregon State.  

I’m not saying it’s a cakewalk, but Washington’s offense against good teams is not anything special.  It’s not like having to play Joe Burrow, Jamar Chase and Justin Jefferson.  We lost last year because we had zero rushing offense (and players sitting out), and we let them pop a big run.  They didn’t carve up our secondary, and we are a much, much better team this year in every way except for RB (which, again, Bijan and Roschon didn’t even play against them anyway).

And we dropped touchdown passes. 

Edited by Gucci_Suit

28 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Had to check the header because I thought this was a Helobious post.

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Haha 1