Variety: 100 Greatest TV Shows of All Time

Michael Knight

I remember after finishing The Wire thinking "I mean it was good, but it wasn't sex and the city"

Also - they appear to have jumbled together every TV program ever. There are reality shows and game shows on there and 60 minutes gets included. I'm not sure how you're supposed to rank all of that shit together on one list.

• Haha 6

GOT at 21, which is funny because it is sort of embarrassing to admit you were into it now with how bad it ended up.  Not like there is a scientific way to do this, but the nosedive it took erased it from pop culture in a way that makes it seem so much smaller than Letterman at 35 or really most of the ones in the 40s (MTVs Real World, FNL, Star Trek TNG).  Even seems wrong to put it above Roseanne at 69.*

('Roseanne at 69' is the worst thing I've ever typed).

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Also - they appear to have jumbled together every TV program ever. There are reality shows and game shows on there and 60 minutes gets included. I'm not sure how you're supposed to rank all of that shit together on one list.

Dumb list is dumb.  HBO shows should be their own category and cable vs network should be split up, at the very least.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

I get the importance and the impact but I Love Lucy is too simplistic to be the best show of all time. Also Sex and the City at 6 is bullshit

100-Greatest-TV-Shows-V1-2.jpg?w=1920&h=

https://variety.com/lists/greatest-tv-shows-of-all-time/roots/

It doesn't say that I Love Lucy is the best show of all time. It says it is the greatest show of all time. Those are two different things.

Old school Sex and the City is pretty funny. Anything New York City prior to 2001 fascinates me because the city has changed so much since then. Filming on location really helped the show. Samantha is one of the greatest female comedic characters ever created. One of the very few shows my wife and I both enjoy. That said, it has no business being in front of Seinfeld. 

They ruined the franchise with those bullshit movies and the reboot. 

spent 1/3 of their words on The Wire saying this:

This isn’t to say that the politics of “The Wire” match a 2023 viewer’s understanding of the world precisely; these days, there are sitcoms that unpack the racialized truth about police brutality with more detail. 

oh most definitely. i thought that watching Herc, Coliccio, Valchek, and Rawls was illuminating, but man, when Terry got racially profiled by that beat cop on B99? now THAT was some eye opening, hard hitting TV. 🙄 

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Old school Sex and the City is pretty funny. Anything New York City prior to 2001 fascinates me because the city has changed so much since then. Filming on location really helped the show. Samantha is one of the greatest female comedic characters ever created. One of the very few shows my wife and I both enjoy. That said, it has no business being in front of Seinfeld. 

Undefeated.

• Haha 2

I'll just say I started The Wire about 2 weeks ago, for the first time.

I am simultaneously excited by how good it is and disappointed in  how dumb I was to wait so long to start it.

Edited by slorch

20 minutes ago, slorch said:

I'll just say I started The Wire about 2 weeks ago, for the first time.

I am simultaneously excited by how good it is and how dumb I was to wait so long to start it.

I was lucky enough to start The Wire when The Sopranos was exploding and you had to have HBO/the infancy of HBO On Demand. I’d watched The Wire between Sopranos seasons and I got caught up in a hurry. 

Stick with it. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

i’m currently on my 9th or 10th run through of the wire, probably my fifth time through it in the last ~3 years. there’s so much to unpack that i keep understanding more/discovering new things every time i watch. it is easily the best show i’ve ever seen, even with the drop off on season five. just totally enthralling.

On 12/21/2023 at 7:00 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

comedy central season 2 episode 9 GIF by Workaholics

Succession sucks ass and checks in at 13.  A good handful of those on the list were so fucking great I've never heard of them.

No Three's Company? Married With Children? Family Ties? Star Trek?

LOLz.

7 hours ago, slorch said:

Succession sucks ass and checks in at 13.  A good handful of those on the list were so fucking great I've never heard of them.

LOLz.

I didn’t look at the entire list, but stuff like this has the intended effect of getting people to click on the article and then discuss and critique the list for shows that belong/do not belong. Pretty standard stuff. I saw a couple of older shows on there I did not recognize, but maybe they were big for that generation of people who watched them. 

9 hours ago, slorch said:

LOLz.

John from Cincinnati? 

I'm sure that by the time the compiler(s) of this list were done, they were throwing anything they could find into it, ready to move on to the next puff piece. Ratings seemed pretty ridiculous. Happy Days at 87, Wonder Years at 72.

Too bad hey didn't mention Dream On, the HBO sex comedy. Completely original, great humor and drop dead gorgeous naked babes (including a young Catherine Bell) 

The Loves of Dobie Gillis not included??? Rome??? Lisa Kudrow had a three season run with Web Therapy - hilarious. House MD - Awesome. Speaking of Hugh Laurie - nice psycho drama Chance. Didn't see Angie Tribeca. Notable. Rome and the Tudors - both well done, character-rich dramas. If they're gonna do animation - How about the Bugs Bunny Show. Bullwinkle and Rocky - iconic. Flintstones. Happy Days at 87? Gunsmoke, Bonanza, Have Gun Will Travel, Maverick. And what about the Rockford Files, for Christ Sakes? Eight or Nine seasons. James Garner. Rupaul, Jeez.

Was Justified on that list? Fuck that was a great series. Anyway, my two cents.

• Hook 'Em 1

With the way things are going -- primarily the absurd amount of things produced now (yes, this includes anything on a screen, all content) -- I think tv has seen its best days, and like a person/unlike certain mediums, will never return to them. Succession was probably the last ambitious, high-quality show ever made in America. Yeah, you'll still be able to list off tons of good things now and going forward -- "What about The White Lotus? What about One Piece? What about Hacks? -- and though I've only seen the bookends of that list, you just cannot create something with the potential to be great, with a good amount of risk baked in from the beginning like Mad Men, in this era of media. It's time to accept that more Americans than ever (seemingly of all ages, actually) primarily want comfort from their media, and though there's nothing wrong with this at all, you ofc lose all ambition when the market caters to this.