Joe Biden 2024 thread - Dark Brandon Strikes Again

StassneyHorn

it's a tough thing to build a GOTV on.  memories of something that they've had the opportunity to whitewash for four years.  biden helps zero.  the only thing in D's favor is the passing of time.  2016 was 8 years ago.  a person's voting life if 60ish years.  that means 13% of folks that voted for him in 2016 aren't around any more.  6% of those from 2020.  just literally different humans selecting who to vote for.  and since the trump coalition was weighted toward olds, that helps biden.  the bad news is that there is general sliding, with fewer identifying as D and more identifying as R in recent times, which i think more than makes up for those deaths.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1078383/political-party-identification-in-the-us/

14 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

But that's not enough.  And he's old.

I guess I have to vote for the psychotic liar who promises to rule as a vindictive dictator.  I have no choice in the matter.

Well to be fair, he will only act as a dictator on day one. Because that's what dictators are famous for, giving up their power voluntarily. 

LOL Kennedy is not getting 17%

It's not happening.  People are truly, 100%, doing anything to convince themselves it won't be Trump-Biden.  Taking that out in polls. 

• Hook 'Em 5

21 hours ago, Voldemort86 said:

This is what some repubs are saying now that it looks like Trump will get the nomination.
now, you will have a vast cohort of first time voters who were 10 years old when Trump took office. anyone think those are going to vote Trump by a majority!?!

I desperately wanted this to be incorrect but this will be true of at least some 18 year old voters. Not really a "massive cohort" but really the point is I feel old as fuck.

23 hours ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Not to "Well, AKshully" this, but this seems to be the best case scenario, jumping the gun. 

From what I read what actually happened was the White House proposed a few options (from $3 ranging to $7 and $14) as teh upper limits banks can charge for OD's and is seeking input for the right amount and it's not established yet.

Regardless, if it's $3 or $14, banks are going to fight hard as they make billions on the $35 it is now.

I hope it's $0.

Leaders in Davos already assuming Trump wins the election.

But in a twist, that's actually good news for Biden, because apparently these vampires always get it wrong and the opposite usually happens.

From NYT:https://www.nytimes.com/section/business/dealbook

The Davos consensus on the presidential election

Publicly, the global business leaders who gathered at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, haven’t wanted to predict the winner of the upcoming U.S. presidential election. The closest they’ve come? Referring to it as a “geopolitical risk.”

But talk to executives privately, and they’re more explicit: They expect Donald Trump to win and while many are worried about that, they are also resigned to it.

The predictions of a Trump victory came in different forms. Many pointed to the headlines and the mood in the U.S. One senior banker told DealBook that you only had to look at the polls to figure out that Trump was on track to win.

Jamie Dimon of JPMorgan Chase also got a lot of attention for his comments. In an interview with Andrew on CNBC, he didn’t predict that Trump would win, but suggested that dismissing the former president and his supporters would be a mistake.

“Just take a step back and be honest,” Dimon said, listing the things that he thought Trump got at least partially right: NATO, immigration, the economy, China and more. “He wasn’t wrong about some of these critical issues, and that’s why they’re voting for him,” he said.

“I think this negative talk about MAGA will hurt [President] Biden’s campaign,” he added.

That said, the Davos crowd often gets things wrong. A common critique of those who attend the forum is that they are a contra-indicator of what’s to come, so their expectations could bode well for Biden or for Trump’s Republican rivals. “Trump is already the president at Davos — which is a good thing because the Davos consensus is usually wrong,” Alex Soros, the son of George Soros, said on a panel.

A little history: The Davos consensus was that Hillary Clinton would beat Trump in 2016. And in 2020, the prevailing view was that there were few risks to the economy … as the pandemic began to explode.

Edited by BeardIP

Just stopping in to thank Joe Biden for assembling the world’s greatest economy ever seen, as S&P 500 closes at an all time high today. Unemployment at 3.7. Wages outgrowing inflation.

it just means more. Light a candle.

image.thumb.jpeg.389da51685bc1bc83380e1e62cd31699.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3
  • Drool 1

On 1/17/2024 at 10:40 AM, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

it's a tough thing to build a GOTV on.  memories of something that they've had the opportunity to whitewash for four years.  biden helps zero.  the only thing in D's favor is the passing of time. 

Abortion.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

GOP looking desperately for any sign that the economy is going into the shitter. They probably won’t find one.  Inflation is supposed to go down this year. Jobless claims report yesterday was the lowest in 16 months. Consumer sentiment has jumped massively the last 2 months.

• Like 1

On 1/17/2024 at 2:53 PM, Js1 said:

LOL Kennedy is not getting 17%

It's not happening.  People are truly, 100%, doing anything to convince themselves it won't be Trump-Biden.  Taking that out in polls. 

I really dont get it either. My “centrist” buddy is like this. Sends me texts about Nikki Haley and others, saying how they might have a chance at beating Trump. And then how it’s Dems to blame for not “playing the border issue right”, so Rs will win the general. 

It’s this bizarro idea that the GOP is nuts, but somehow that’s the Democrat’s fault. 

22 hours ago, BeardIP said:

Leaders in Davos already assuming Trump wins the election.

But in a twist, that's actually good news for Biden, because apparently these vampires always get it wrong and the opposite usually happens.

From NYT:https://www.nytimes.com/section/business/dealbook

A little history: The Davos consensus was that Hillary Clinton would beat Trump in 2016. And in 2020, the prevailing view was that there were few risks to the economy … as the pandemic began to explode.

Well it’s a good thing we look to these thought wizards as financial leaders. 

On 1/19/2024 at 3:51 PM, nbmishoid said:

Every interview shows or tells of some person who swears the economy sucks vs the trump years.  Depressing the willful ignorance.

Actually, the vibecession is over. People are now happy with the vibes of the economy. https://fortune.com/2024/01/19/is-economy-good-vibecession-consumer-sentiment-inflation-feelings/

So Iran and its proxies are ramping up attacks on American forces in Iraq, complete with Iranian ballistic missiles being used against an American base

https://www.cnn.com/2024/01/20/politics/al-asad-air-base-iraq-us-personnel-injured/index.html

And it’s on top of Iran and Pakistan exchanging missile strikes.

It’s like Iran wants to help Biden.  I know Republicans privately won’t give a shit about American troops being injured because a Dem is in the White House,  but there’s probably going to be a resolution coming up in Congress soon and they’ll have to publicly support the troops.

8 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

So Iran and its proxies are ramping up attacks on American forces in Iraq, complete with Iranian ballistic missiles being used against an American base

https://www.cnn.com/2024/01/20/politics/al-asad-air-base-iraq-us-personnel-injured/index.html

And it’s on top of Iran and Pakistan exchanging missile strikes.

It’s like Iran wants to help Biden.  I know Republicans privately won’t give a shit about American troops being injured because a Dem is in the White House,  but there’s probably going to be a resolution coming up in Congress soon and they’ll have to publicly support the troops.

Yeah it seems like this shit is really escalating. Awesome. Fun stuff. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/19/2024 at 3:51 PM, nbmishoid said:

Every interview shows or tells of some person who swears the economy sucks vs the trump years.  Depressing the willful ignorance.

Consumer sentiment just took the biggest two-month upward jump in my lifetime.

There's still a ways to go for people's perception to catch up to reality, there are of course legitimate structural economic issues to address, and the economy needs to hold up for 10 more months... But with all those caveats that's probably the best news the Biden 2024campaign has received to date.

1 minute ago, gmr548 said:

Consumer sentiment just took the biggest two-month upward jump in my lifetime.

There's still a ways to go for people's perception to catch up to reality, there are of course legitimate structural economic issues to address, and the economy needs to hold up for 10 more months... But with all those caveats that's probably the best news the Biden 2024campaign has received to date.

Biden and Dems are likely to have a complete landslide win in 2024.

• strong economy
  • divided Rs
  • wedge issue(s) motivating D and people switching tickets
  • olds dying off
  • corp money not wanting Donald

2 minutes ago, wackawacka said:

• strong economy
  • divided Rs
  • olds dying off

We'll see. There's a path to victory and I certainly think the presumption that it will be Trump is very premature. 10 months is an eternity though and there is a real antipathy to Biden, justified or not.

Honestly it'll probably come down to a five figure margin across a couple different states as the past two have. Any time you're talking about margins that narrow at the tipping point it is basically a toss up.

Edited by gmr548
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

32 minutes ago, wackawacka said:

• strong economy
  • divided Rs
  • olds dying off

I hope you're right, but there's a shit-ton of international chaos being sown, which is, I think, the biggest wildcard in this game.

No telling how voters will respond to one message being engagement/help our allies and the other being retreat/isolationism.

• Russia --> Ukraine/Europe
  • Iran/Hamas/Houthis --> Israel/Global Trade
  • North Korea --> South Korea/Japan
  • China --> Taiwan/South China Sea
  • Venezuela --> Guyana

Just saw CNN saying Biden is having trouble in Michigan polls. (Don’t know if true)

But it was astounding hearing them list of the things Biden has done for Michigan (unions, jobs, infrastructure) as opposed to Trump who accomplished jack and shit, yet they were supposedly leaning towards Trump. Leopard Eating Faces party indeed. 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

Ain't no landslide anything. If there wasn't a landslide after four years of the other guy, there won't be one now.

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

We'll see. There's a path to victory and I certainly think the presumption that it will be Trump is very premature. 10 months is an eternity though and there is a real antipathy to Biden, justified or not.

Honestly it'll probably come down to a five figure margin across a couple different states as the past two have. Any time you're talking about margins that narrow at the tipping point it is basically a toss up.

What pisses me off even more is that if dotard dies within the next 10 months, I think it would actually help usher in whatever R took his place as the nominee.  You'd have his insane base that would probably vote R to avenge him or something and then all the disaffected "former" Rs that are just itching for any excuse to yank that R lever again.  Dems would still turn out, but I just think the R voters are more full of piss and vinegar than Ds in general, because they are crazier.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, bolverk said:

I hope you're right, but there's a shit-ton of international chaos being sown, which is, I think, the biggest wildcard in this game.

No telling how voters will respond to one message being engagement/help our allies and the other being retreat/isolationism.

• Russia --> Ukraine/Europe
  • Iran/Hamas/Houthis --> Israel/Global Trade
  • North Korea --> South Korea/Japan
  • China --> Taiwan/South China Sea
  • Venezuela --> Guyana

most voters don't care about int'l conflict imo.

as will and has been about the economy and their pocket book

2 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

What pisses me off even more is that if dotard dies within the next 10 months, I think it would actually help usher in whatever R took his place as the nominee.  You'd have his insane base that would probably vote R to avenge him or something and then all the disaffected "former" Rs that are just itching for any excuse to yank that R lever again.  Dems would still turn out, but I just think the R voters are more full of piss and vinegar than Ds in general, because they are crazier.

The simulation will not allow for Trump to die.

He's what drives engagement / distracts us from our cryo-battery existence to supply our machine overlords the sweet, sweet energy that they need.

I imagine it's Terminator with no John Connor meets the Matrix with no Neo.

All the dystopia, no story arc, no archetypical hero, and nothing but Bill Murray's winter prediction in Groundhog's Day.

• Rage+1 1

9 hours ago, bolverk said:

The good news is that Trump is telling his supporters that the election is rigged against him, so there’s a a chance some will believe him and stay home.

And some of MAGA are fixated on RFK Jr.

8 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Nikki Haley would have a shot at beating Biden.  The never-Trumpers would jump on her being the candidate, and enough moderates/fence-sitters and MAGA would feel like “anybody but 100 year-old Biden” to pull the lever in the voting booth.  

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Nikki Haley would have a shot at beating Biden.  The never-Trumpers would jump on her being the candidate, and enough moderates/fence-sitters and MAGA would feel like “anybody but 100 year-old Biden” to pull the lever in the voting booth.  

right but all the maga crazies won’t turn out. shit, if haley beat trump (she won’t) they’d probably vote for biden to avenge him.

they’re gonna have to square that issue at some point. 

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

9 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Yep, I have a friend who is exactly this.  He won't outright say it, but he is exactly "anybody but 100 year-old Biden".  I think his real reasoning is taxes.

7 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

right but all the maga crazies won’t turn out. shit, if haley beat trump (she won’t) they’d probably vote for biden to avenge him.

And here is what people like him don't seem to understand.  It's dotard or no one because the the maga base will stay home if it's anyone else and the Rs will lose badly.  They made their bed, now they must lie in it.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

1 minute ago, Biff Tannen said:

And here is what people like him don't seem to understand.  It's dotard or no one because the the maga base will stay home if it's anyone else and the Rs will lose badly.  They made their bed, now they must lie in it.

Quite the conundrum.  Trump couldn't win in 2020 with MAGA turning out in record numbers (many of whom hadn't voted in 2016 showed up). and MAGA could push any (R) over the finish line, and Nikki could pull in a shitload of people who don't care for Trump or Biden, but MAGA will only support Trump.

And toss in abortion to the mix.

7 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

i'm not nearly as sunny as you guys are.  everything was saying biden +4 and 5 in 2020, things like +7 and +8 in Michigan, WI, MN, and we got a nail biter.  now it's all trump +1.

The majority of the public is not interested in the 2024 race yet, so there is no reason for Biden to hype all of the positives with his administration. You also have to thread the needle in saying what a great job you did while not alienating voters who are not thriving.

The main message out there right now is how Biden has ruined America but they never have any accurate facts.

• immamac changed the title to Joe Biden 2024 thread - Dark Brandon Strikes Again