Washington vs Michigan, CFP Championship -- Jan. 8th ESPN 6:30p CT

LTtxfan

I’m extremely bummed. While Michigan is probably “better” than Texas, especially since they could pressure Penix and we couldn’t, the stars had aligned for us this year. We had just as good a chance of winning as any of the other playoff teams, and with a couple of breaks, we could have been there. Football teams are too volatile to assume that we will be good next year. Injuries, chemistry, luck, schedule, and lineup changes can cause a completely different outcome next year. The Philadelphia Eagles are a prime example. Everyone assumed they’d be back in the SB this season. They lost their defensive coordinator and just limped into the playoffs, finishing their season at 1-5. We may not have a chance like this for years.

Edited by TreatyOak
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

I’m extremely bummed. While Michigan is probably “better” than Texas, especially since they could pressure Penix and we couldn’t, the stars had aligned for us this year. We had just as good a chance of winning as any of the other playoff teams, and with a couple of breaks, we could have been there. Football teams are too volatile to assume that we will be good next year. Injuries, chemistry, luck, schedule, and lineup changes can cause a completely different outcome next year. The Philadelphia Eagles are a prime example. Everyone assumed they’d be back in the SB this season. They lost their defensive coordinator and just limped into the playoffs, finishing their season at 1-5. We may not have a chance like this for years.

Yep. To be as close as we were and not finish is aggravating as hell

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

From a Washington perspective, Texas was the last in a long line of teams this season that sat stunned at the end of the game and then the week after when the Huskies were barely holding it together, saying “How the fuck did we lose to those guys?” 

Shit, Oregon had to go through it twice.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

Go Blue. I don't like uDubb and their ref-assisted W over us. Lingering bad taste in the mouth. Congrats to Michigan! Hookem Horns for exceeding expectations and winning the last true Big XII championship despite all odds. New year, new conference foes, life's good \m/

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

You’re sure a thin-skinned pussy on a message board. 

Says the guy who throws out Neg Rep for not liking his political team on the football board. Go to Cancun with Ted, you wanker. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, TxTower said:

Correct. Was thinking this before during and after the game last night. Michigan made good use of our game film.

Also have to wonder if Penix didn’t have flash backs to losing to Michigan all those years at Indiana.

He actually beat Michigan at Iowa. 

Other than that...

Was rooting for Washington but the game went about how I expected except for Washington's miscues in the passing game. Several unforced errors there. Michigan probably still wins but more of a game down the stretch.

Kind of a frustrating game for a Texas fan. For one, as already discussed, Michigan employed the game plan Texas should have on offense and stuck with it. For two, Washington dropping off so much over just a week was also frustrating. I get Michigan's a better defense than Texas and the difference between a week vs a month of prep but man, if they had just made one or two of their several offensive errors last night in the Sugar Bowl we're sitting here hungover from Texas's national championship appearance. Oh well. Should have held on to the football.

Ambivalent on Michigan's title. Glad it isn't one of the usual suspects in contemporary CFB but there is an asterisk because of the sign stealing stuff. We will probably never really know how much impact that had. It will be fun to have a non conference game against the defending national champions.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, mdmost said:

We played over our heads for most of the season and had a puncher's chance of getting to this game...where we would also have lost to a superior Michigan team. I'm completely fine with how our season played out. Winning the Big 12 was all I wanted. Most importantly, we finally righted the ship.

The frustrating thing is I am not convinced Texas loses to Michigan. Gun to my head I'd take UM but Texas would have had a much more plausible path to victory than Washington's - which was basically just another ridiculous outing from Penix and their receivers.

1 minute ago, gmr548 said:

The frustrating thing is I am not convinced Texas loses to Michigan. Gun to my head I'd take UM but Texas would have had a much more plausible path to victory than Washington's - which was basically just another ridiculous outing from Penix and their receivers.

This is correct.  Washington was the worst possible matchup for us ex ante, and we would have had an easier go of it against Michigan and obviously Bama.  But our secondary and pass rush are not very good, Penix et al played out of their minds, the refs never called them for anything, and Sark and PK chipped in with some brain farts and we got a close loss.  

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 3

1 hour ago, TreatyOak said:

yup, the stars aligned very well this year with loaded roster - Sweat, Ford, Sorrell, X, Sanders and more .  I really don't like PK, a Manny Diaz esque type who doesn't use talent. We should not have an excuse for a poor pass rush with the talent , or a mediocre secondary.  Re-hire Akina if at all possible. Hire the Michigan DC with massive $$ in his face. Do something to fix and make for a top 3 defense with tight schemes and no gaping holes.  With a tough 2024 schedule, 3 or 4 close losses is possible.  2023 was our year and glad we got in. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, USNALonghorn said:

And 300+ rushing…

Yeah the best rushing game in the playoffs history will definitely cover up the lack of a passing game. 

Holding that offense to 1 touchdown is way better than I expected, but Penix didn't seem that interested last night. The throws he was making vs UT vs the throws he was making last night looked like two different QBs. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 3

6 minutes ago, Juicy said:

Yeah the best rushing game in the playoffs history will definitely cover up the lack of a passing game. 

Holding that offense to 1 touchdown is way better than I expected, but Penix didn't seem that interested last night. The throws he was making vs UT vs the throws he was making last night looked like two different QBs. 

My family was telling me to shut up when I’d chirp “Washington makes that throw/catch against Texas” but it was true. They played like hot ass against Michigan and played like NFL superstars against Texas. Fml. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 4

1 minute ago, immamac said:

My family was telling me to shut up when I’d chirp “Washington makes that throw/catch against Texas” but it was true. They played like hot ass against Michigan and played like NFL superstars against Texas. Fml. 

When they miscommunicated on that first blown coverage, I was like, they got average penix instead of god mode penix. Then they just kept hanging around, hanging around. I never felt nervous, but I hated the game plan after Michigan got up. I was screaming for 1st down play action, and both times they used it it was wide open. Maybe if they dont take those 3-4 1 yard gains on consecutive 1st downs it isnt as open but I think it would have been. 

2 minutes ago, Juicy said:

When they miscommunicated on that first blown coverage, I was like, they got average penix instead of god mode penix. Then they just kept hanging around, hanging around. I never felt nervous, but I hated the game plan after Michigan got up. I was screaming for 1st down play action, and both times they used it it was wide open. Maybe if they dont take those 3-4 1 yard gains on consecutive 1st downs it isnt as open but I think it would have been. 

Harbaugh definitely played "fuck around, find out" for much of the game.  For the life of me, I could not figure out why he didn't use McCarthy's legs in the RPO/Roll Out game to offset the heavy boxes the Huskies were setting up on first down. 

Just now, Bateshorn said:

Harbaugh definitely played "fuck around, find out" for much of the game.  For the life of me, I could not figure out why he didn't use McCarthy's legs in the RPO/Roll Out game to offset the heavy boxes the Huskies were setting up on first down. 

That is a Michigan tradition dating back to Bo Schembechler. They tend ot be conservative and keep games tighter, than they need to be.. 

2 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

All season long they refused to run JJ, I assumed it was part of the plan to keep him healthy, but I don't think they had any called runs for him until after he broke that long scramble on 3rd down.

Having to account for the QB and the RB makes it a lot more difficult, especially when that RB is Blake Corum, Or Donovan Edwards, Or Kaleel Mullings. 

2 hours ago, TreatyOak said:

It was the last “easy” year to win it all for sure. Going forward you have to win a minimum of 3 playoff games to bring the trophy home. 

• Hook 'Em 2

00f99ca7-8942-41fe-b5a7-7162d121463e_tex

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, hornian said:

He actually beat Michigan at Iowa. 

Other than that...

That’s an incredible feat, as he played for Indiana.

3 minutes ago, Helobious said:

It was the last “easy” year to win it all for sure. Going forward you have to win a minimum of 3 playoff games to bring the trophy home. 

True, but the flipside is that helmet teams like Texas could potentially lose a couple in the regular season and still get into the playoffs.  Then make a nice run and bang, you're the NC.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hornian said:

Says the guy who throws out Neg Rep for not liking his political team on the football board. Go to Cancun with Ted, you wanker. 

Has nothing to do with my political team. I have never made a political post here. That bullshit doesn't belong on this board. imma even made a statement about it in his "End of Year" post.

I don't give a fuck who you like or don't like. You have posted here far too long to be polluting the board with that shit.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, immamac said:

This was absolutely true. Off balance throws escaping pressure were perfect and caught through traffic or off of deflections. Every bounce of the ball and ref whistle went their way. 

And we still were one play away 

• Hook 'Em 1

IMG_9751.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

they beat - tOSU, Bama, Washington. that’s a hell of a run and they’re the undisputed national champs 

• Hook 'Em 2

18 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I can't tell you how much I thought about this the past few weeks. If they didn't do it this year I wasn't sure it would ever happen. Penn State and Iowa are just meh, but having to go Penn State, Ohio State, Iowa, Alabama, Washington to close it out was a gauntlet. Beating CFP 10-7-4-2 to win it. 

Doing that across the playoffs instead of a regular season mix, would be insane. Conf champ game (for a bye) then playing 3 top 12 teams if you win, or 4 top 12 if you lose the conf champ, is asking a LOT. I love the idea of expanded playoffs, but it sucks for anyones team's chances of winning it all. 

31 minutes ago, Juicy said:

All season long they refused to run JJ, I assumed it was part of the plan to keep him healthy, but I don't think they had any called runs for him until after he broke that long scramble on 3rd down.

Having to account for the QB and the RB makes it a lot more difficult, especially when that RB is Blake Corum, Or Donovan Edwards, Or Kaleel Mullings. 

Really, just a couple of play action RPO bootlegs with a two layer passing option would have pulled the safeties out of the box, and allowed Michigan to have the big, time killing dagger drive they kept looking for starting 10 minutes into the 2nd quarter.  

But Khaki pants got his title, so what the fuck do I know. Michigan, for better or worse, was definitely the best team in college football this year. 

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

I mean..he's done things, I'll allow it

There’s probably a bunch of walk-ons on the team with nearly identical stats. Some starting O linemen too. Cherry picking team stats doesn’t mean he’s some transcendent QB. He’ll be Greg McElroy or Jake Fromm at the next level but douchier. Stetson Bennett was actually a good QB and got less credit for his team’s success.

Just now, Billy Pilgrim said:

There’s probably a bunch of walk-ons on the team with nearly identical stats. Some starting O linemen too. Cherry picking team stats doesn’t mean he’s some transcendent QB. He’ll be Greg McElroy or Jake Fromm at the next level but douchier. Stetson Bennett was actually a good QB and got less credit for his team’s success.

No, but the discussion was whether he earned the right to flex a little after winning a national championship. My argument was he certainly did enough to enjoy the moment with a little bravado. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

I am a homer, but JJ is the opposite of douchey. He is super humble, all about giving success to everyone else and crediting his team. 

40 minutes ago, Juicy said:

I can't tell you how much I thought about this the past few weeks. If they didn't do it this year I wasn't sure it would ever happen. Penn State and Iowa are just meh, but having to go Penn State, Ohio State, Iowa, Alabama, Washington to close it out was a gauntlet. Beating CFP 10-7-4-2 to win it. 

Doing that across the playoffs instead of a regular season mix, would be insane. Conf champ game (for a bye) then playing 3 top 12 teams if you win, or 4 top 12 if you lose the conf champ, is asking a LOT. I love the idea of expanded playoffs, but it sucks for anyones team's chances of winning it all. 

Great season - can't wait to see all the new clothes my brothers and friends start to wear. 

Timing is everything, and it all lined up and UM took full advantage of this year.
You are right about having to get it this year - because next year includes UT, USC, @Washington (though they will fall hard), Oregon and @OSU). 

But I did want to point out that including Iowa in your year end gaunlet comment is very laughable
(reference their last 2 games they lost by a combined 61-0, their entire season scoring an "impressive" 20 offensive TD's in 14 games, and yet they managed to have a 10 win season)

Edited by Wally Fairway
  • Like 1