2024 NFL Playoffs - Wild Card Weekend

TrashMaster G

I was laughing when he gave the TD ball to the lady, most presumably his wife.  " He probably had one at the other endzone too..."

9 hours ago, AbeFroman said:

6 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

The point is that they should have put at least a retractable roof on a stadium in upstate New York, regardless of what the weather is like today. Honestly even with a roof I think the game would have been postponed due to the severity of this storm, but it's stupid to expect teams that far north to be able to host games consistently in the middle of winter. The field will probably be really shitty on Monday, so it could be a hazard for players too. It's an easily avoidable problem for a multi-billion dollar League. 

3 hours ago, DigDug said:

They can use that excuse this week, but to build a new multi-billion dollar stadium in that climate without a retractable roof is beyond moronic.  Of course, this is the same group that thinks jumping on tables is cool so what can you expect

I really don't get any of these posts/tweets. Today's game was postponed because of the inability of anyone to travel to the stadium safely, that's it. It has nothing to do with the conditions inside the stadium, which would be something that the teams/fans would contend with.

If travel was safe, then the game would have been played in these conditions and that is what that region wants.

There have been a lot of other posts about "well tomorrow won't be much better" - actually, it will be more manageable if you understand the area and how winter is contended with up here.

First take a look at the weather report:

The snow will break for about 10-12 hours around lunchtime. And then it will resume around 10 PM and through the rest of the week. The bigger thing is that the wave tonight won't have that wind with it.

The key is that break, that is when the road crews will start in earnest to get the city moving again. They will spend all day today getting the road cleared and salted. The salted part is the important part because that really can't be done until the wind breaks, which will be later today. Once the snow starts again tonight, the city will keep the plows running continuous until the snow is done. That will keep the city up and running.

Anyway, I would expect a packed house come Monday. I would venture that the team/city/state have figured out when it will be safe to have people at the stadium to clear the stadium. - my guess is around 6-7PM to have people clear the stands.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Retractable roofs are dumb as shit.  They rarely if ever even open them. Just cut the bullshit. 

There's been a ton of opportunities at Jerry World to have that shit open (with perfect weather outside, e.g. Big 12 championship this year)...and the bastards don't open the roof. What's the point.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

The point is that they should have put at least a retractable roof on a stadium in upstate New York, regardless of what the weather is like today. Honestly even with a roof I think the game would have been postponed due to the severity of this storm, but it's stupid to expect teams that far north to be able to host games consistently in the middle of winter. The field will probably be really shitty on Monday, so it could be a hazard for players too. It's an easily avoidable problem for a multi-billion dollar League. 

Again the issue is not the field of play. The issue is they’re in the middle of a major storm/state of emergency 

You can’t pull hundreds of cops, firefighters, EMTs, snowplows, etc. away from that major storm.And all those people are necessary to host a major event for 100,000 people 

A roof doesn’t change that in any way 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

I really don't get any of these posts/tweets. Today's game was postponed because of the inability of anyone to travel to the stadium safely, that's it. It has nothing to do with the conditions inside the stadium, which would be something that the teams/fans would contend with.

If travel was safe, then the game would have been played in these conditions and that is what that region wants.

There have been a lot of other posts about "well tomorrow won't be much better" - actually, it will be more manageable if you understand the area and how winter is contended with up here.

The snow will break for about 10-12 hours around lunchtime. And then it will resume around 10 PM and through the rest of the week. The bigger thing is that the wave tonight won't have that wind with it.

The key is that break, that is when the road crews will start in earnest to get the city moving again. They will spend all day today getting the road cleared and salted. The salted part is the important part because that really can't be done until the wind breaks, which will be later today. Once the snow starts again tonight, the city will keep the plows running continuous until the snow is done. That will keep the city up and running.

Anyway, I would expect a packed house come Monday. I would venture that the team/city/state have figured out when it will be safe to have people at the stadium to clear the stadium. - my guess is around 6-7PM to have people clear the stands.

It sucks, but they should play the game in Detroit. 

Found this list on the googles…

NFL games postponed or canceled due to extreme weather

1989 - 49ers vs Patriots: The game had to be moved to Stanford University due to damage at Candlestick Park from the Loma Prieta earthquake

1992 - Patriots vs Dolphins: The opening day game was rescheduled to Oct. 18 due to Hurricane Andrew.

2003 - Chargers vs Dolphins: The Monday Night Football game had to be played in Tempe, Arizona due to the conditions in San Diego from the Cedar Fire.

2004 - Bengals vs Buccaneers: The preseason game was postponed two days until August 16 due to Hurricane Charley.

2004 - Titans vs Dolphins: The opening day game had to be rescheduled due to Hurricane Ivan

2004 - Steelers vs Dolphins: The September 25 was moved from 1 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. due to Hurricane Jeanne.

2005 - Chiefs vs Dolphins: The Oct. 23 game was moved up two days due to Hurricane Wilma.

2008- Texans vs Ravens: The game was postponed due to Hurricane Ike. As a result of the change, the Texans game against the Bengals had to be moved forward from Nov. 9 to Oct. 26.

2010 - Vikings vs Giants: Due to a snow storm in Minnesota and damage to the Metrodome, the game was played in Detroit. Due to the same situation, the Vikings had to move their game against the Bears to the University of Minnesota campus.

2010 - Vikings vs Eagles: The Sunday Night Football game was postponed to Tuesday because of a snowstorm in Philadelphia.

2014 - Jets vs Bills: The Nov. 23 game had to be be moved to Detroit and was played on Nov. 24 also due to a snowstorm in Buffalo.

2017: Cowboys vs Texans: The Governor’s Cup preseason game was canceled due to Hurricane Harvey.

2017: Dolphins vs Buccaneers: The Nov. 10 game had to be rescheduled to a week later because of Hurricane Irma.

2021: Cardinals vs Saints: The preseason game was canceled due to Hurricane Ida.

2021: Saints vs Packers: The season opener was moved to Jacksonville Florida due to damage caused from Hurricane Ida.

2022: Browns vs Buffalo: The Nov. 20 game was moved to Ford Field in Detroit due to a severe winter storm in Buffalo. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Underdog said:

1989 - 49ers vs Patriots: The game had to be moved to Stanford University due to damage at Candlestick Park from the Loma Prieta earthquake

1992 - Patriots vs Dolphins: The opening day game was rescheduled to Oct. 18 due to Hurricane Andrew.

2003 - Chargers vs Dolphins: The Monday Night Football game had to be played in Tempe, Arizona due to the conditions in San Diego from the Cedar Fire.

2004 - Bengals vs Buccaneers: The preseason game was postponed two days until August 16 due to Hurricane Charley.

2004 - Titans vs Dolphins: The opening day game had to be rescheduled due to Hurricane Ivan

2004 - Steelers vs Dolphins: The September 25 was moved from 1 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. due to Hurricane Jeanne.

2005 - Chiefs vs Dolphins: The Oct. 23 game was moved up two days due to Hurricane Wilma.

2008- Texans vs Ravens: The game was postponed due to Hurricane Ike. As a result of the change, the Texans game against the Bengals had to be moved forward from Nov. 9 to Oct. 26.

2010 - Vikings vs Giants: Due to a snow storm in Minnesota and damage to the Metrodome, the game was played in Detroit. Due to the same situation, the Vikings had to move their game against the Bears to the University of Minnesota campus.

2010 - Vikings vs Eagles: The Sunday Night Football game was postponed to Tuesday because of a snowstorm in Philadelphia.

2014 - Jets vs Bills: The Nov. 23 game had to be be moved to Detroit and was played on Nov. 24 also due to a snowstorm in Buffalo.

2017: Cowboys vs Texans: The Governor’s Cup preseason game was canceled due to Hurricane Harvey.

2017: Dolphins vs Buccaneers: The Nov. 10 game had to be rescheduled to a week later because of Hurricane Irma.

2021: Cardinals vs Saints: The preseason game was canceled due to Hurricane Ida.

2021: Saints vs Packers: The season opener was moved to Jacksonville Florida due to damage caused from Hurricane Ida.

2022: Browns vs Buffalo: The Nov. 20 game was moved to Ford Field in Detroit due to a severe winter storm in Buffalo. 

I see a lot more hurricanes than snowstorms being an issue on that list. 

Maybe we should force those teams to relocate. 

</sarcasm>

4 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

The Bills don't have heaters under their field either, so the field is going to be frozen on Monday when they play. I don't know if you ever lived up north, but I grew up in northern Ohio and playing soccer during a freeze with or without snow was awful. Cleats don't work the same when the ground is frozen, the dirt is stodgy, the grass freezes and gets crunchy, everyone runs at 3/4 speed because you can't trust your footing. It fucking blows, and the quality of the sport is greatly diminished. I understand that people like the "elements" for whatever reasons, but I think it gives you a shitty product on the field, as we saw last night in the Chiefs/Dolphins game. It's fine for some random bowl game nobody cares about, but it sucks for a playoff game that actually matters. 

• Hook 'Em 1

52 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

The Bills don't have heaters under their field either, so the field is going to be frozen on Monday when they play. I don't know if you ever lived up north, but I grew up in northern Ohio and playing soccer during a freeze with or without snow was awful. Cleats don't work the same when the ground is frozen, the dirt is stodgy, the grass freezes and gets crunchy, everyone runs at 3/4 speed because you can't trust your footing. It fucking blows, and the quality of the sport is greatly diminished. I understand that people like the "elements" for whatever reasons, but I think it gives you a shitty product on the field, as we saw last night in the Chiefs/Dolphins game. It's fine for some random bowl game nobody cares about, but it sucks for a playoff game that actually matters. 

I live in Boston, we’re currently in Vermont looking at this

IMG_5334.thumb.jpeg.713f390893b7a5b69ed4b4fe606f4b10.jpeg

That’s all snow. I know what this weather is  

The Bills have picked their stadium and field and get it. They will be fine. Thats their home field advantage. The game will be fine. And given the weather in Buffalo since the new year, I’m pretty sure their field has been frozen a while. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

So like 12 guys showed up, and most of them are drunk.

I refuse to shovel my own driveway anymore unless it’s a push shovel. Fans will be standing on snow piled seats

When there is a big snow i make sure to park two cars on one side of the driveway that way i don’t have to shovel that side.

4 hours ago, Underdog said:

I get why it's on the list and it makes sense to be on it, but a bit funny to see an earthquake on a list of weather-related games. I missed that day in meteorology school.

4 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

Now that I know Buffalo has snow removal chutes for the stadium, I want nothing more than for the Bills to leave those in place for all home games. Bills mafia would probably lose 5 or 6 soldiers a game, but the footage would be epic. I gotta figure at least one viking funeral per game. 

Edited by Blotto
  • Haha 1

If I were the refereee, I would start off by throwing a flag on the Lions for wearing such ugly uniforms when they had excellent uniforms in the past. 

Unfortunately, I would turn around and throw the same flag on the Rams, so the penalties would offset. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1