Fire Rodney Terry

MuellerHorn

8 hours ago, Reality Check said:

This.

It's the next generation of people who thought Dean Smith would leave UNC to replace Weltlich, or that Jay Smith would depart Villanova to take over for Penders. They ignore basketball until football is over and then demand we somehow win the Big 12 every year en route to the Elite Eight. 

We're on track for 20 wins and a No. 8-10 seed in the NCAA Tournament in a rebuilding year that's further been saddled with Kadin Shedrick's injury That means we're getting fewer than 18 minutes per game from one of our only two players over 6-6.

But yeah -- losing at Kansas like we have in all but two seasons since 1996 is somehow the barometer to determine Rodney Terry's tenure should be over at Texas. Whatever, man. Whatever. 

Even money says we get to 20 wins in the regular season. But people will still bitch when we lose to Houston in Kansas City and to UConn or Purdue in the Round of 32.

Twenty wins with the non conference schedule we played isn’t much to brag about. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Reality Check said:

Seeing as we're playing two teams we've beaten (Baylor at home, Oklahoma on the road) in addition to a home game against an Oklahoma State team that's 12-15, 4-10 I'd be happy to take your cash. 
And that's excluding Tuesday's game at a team that's 3-5 in its last eight including losses to UCF, Cincinnati and TCU. 

Go back and watch blOU vs okie lite yesterday.  If either plays in Austin like they did yesterday, they will likely beat Texas.

I'm concerned that Texas ends up with only 7 wins in conference regular season.  Texas is regressing...

Edited by LTtxfan
messed up

Seeing as we're playing two teams we've beaten (Baylor at home, Oklahoma on the road) in addition to a home game against an Oklahoma State team that's 12-15, 4-10 I'd be happy to take your cash. 
And that's excluding Tuesday's game at a team that's 3-5 in its last eight including losses to UCF, Cincinnati and TCU. 

If you think we are beating Baylor in Waco, I have some oceanfront property in Nebraska I would like to sell to you.  

• Haha 4

You're banking that Texas finishes 1-4 with losses at home to Oklahoma State AND Oklahoma in addition to losing in the 8-9 or 7-10 game in Kansas City? 
Because that's the only way this team isn't making the tournament. 

What's sad is that after reading this, Texas getting only one more home win and a first round loss in the Big 12 tournament seems pretty likely.

After doing the math 😋, that's a 1-4 finish and good possibility of missing the NCAA tournament.

giphy.gif

12 hours ago, Reality Check said:

This.

It's the next generation of people who thought Dean Smith would leave UNC to replace Weltlich, or that Jay Smith would depart Villanova to take over for Penders. They ignore basketball until football is over and then demand we somehow win the Big 12 every year en route to the Elite Eight. 

We're on track for 20 wins and a No. 8-10 seed in the NCAA Tournament in a rebuilding year that's further been saddled with Kadin Shedrick's injury That means we're getting fewer than 18 minutes per game from one of our only two players over 6-6.

But yeah -- losing at Kansas like we have in all but two seasons since 1996 is somehow the barometer to determine Rodney Terry's tenure should be over at Texas. Whatever, man. Whatever. 

Even money says we get to 20 wins in the regular season. But people will still bitch when we lose to Houston in Kansas City and to UConn or Purdue in the Round of 32.

I haven't seen this kind of excuse-making after a blowout loss since this one.

Rebuilding year? Rebuilding on what? On what basis do you have hope for the future?

17 hours ago, CTC2 said:

I must have missed that post. Is it the mess that RT created or some mythical mess created by someone else?

It was a mess left by Beard. He put little effort into HS recruiting last season outside of Johnson, Holland, and Stojakovic and had a team that was going to be losing most of the experienced players. Terry's biggest mistake was bringing back Hunter and Mitchell.

6 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

It was a mess left by Beard. He put little effort into HS recruiting last season outside of Johnson, Holland, and Stojakovic and had a team that was going to be losing most of the experienced players. Terry's biggest mistake was bringing back Hunter and Mitchell.

Is this satire? Did i miss the blue font? You are joking right?

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Thanks. Just as I thought. Blaming everything other than the right thing.  Amazing what people will convince themselves of to avoid acknowledging they made a mistake. 

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, TexArcher said:

You know who else is 3-5 in their last 8...?

Read carefully: 

Though to address your point, Texas' last five losses have been to ranked teams, three of which were on the road.
Texas Tech, on the other hand, is no longer a ranked team.  

•  

3 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Go back and watch blOU vs okie lite yesterday.  If either plays in Austin like they did yesterday, they will likely beat Texas.

I'm concerned that Texas ends up with only 7 wins in conference regular season.  Texas is regressing...

If Texas plays like it did vs. Kansas State and West Virginia and at Baylor and at Oklahoma, they will likely beat Oklahoma State and Oklahoma.
I'm not sure how "regressing" is being 2-2 in the last four games -- including the biggest blowout of the conference season against a team we lost on the road to -- with road losses to a pair of Top 6 teams.

49 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

It was a mess left by Beard. He put little effort into HS recruiting last season outside of Johnson, Holland, and Stojakovic and had a team that was going to be losing most of the experienced players.

Uh Huh Yes GIF

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Pancho said:

We aren’t beating tech and Baylor on the road. 

So yes, we will finish 2-2 or possibly 1-3. That is not out of the realm of possibility. And losing the first game in KC also has a higher probability than most care to admit. It’s going to be dicey down the stretch.

What I worry about now is team morale.

Same here; I didn’t see a lack of effort last night, but the body language once shit started going south had the “here we fucking go again” look to me…

9 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

There’s not a lack of effort in terms of a bunch of guys obviously checking out and saying, “Fuck this shit!”.   But there has been a season long lack of intensity on defense, especially compared to what you see from coaches like Beard and Barnes that demand defensive effort above all else.

The collection of guards on the team are simply not as big and athletic as a whole as we are used to seeing around here since the 90s.  So, there are some limitations.  But this could still be a much better defensive team than it is.  Weaver, Mitchell, Cunningham, Disu,  Shedrick, and Hunter could all be somewhere between adequate to very good defenders if the team was cohesive and played hard on defense.  

It’s not like Houston, Virginia and Tennessee have great defenses because they’ve got a bunch of 6’9” athletic freaks who are going to be All Defense in the NBA.  They just try harder and play more disciplined on defense because the coaches won’t tolerate anything less.  

What's weird is Terry was an assistant for Barnes and Beard, and … I guess he thought he should adopt all the other stuff instead of the defining trait of their programs?    I take it his role was the “good cop” assistant and recruiter? 

i’ve wondered the same thing about RT seemingly forgetting everything that his former HC’s were all about. it’s quite strange and hard to explain. wanna feel even worse about it? Rob Lanier currently has SMU eight spots behind us in kenpom, where his team stats and rankings show that he did not forget the fundamental tenets of his mentor’s philosophies:

IMG_9344.thumb.jpeg.777d0e1010580b106941500cfa4a31a2.jpeg

smu is 6th in country in offensive rebounding, they’ve got green all up and down the defensive column, i mean they even suck at FTs! that’s a Barnes disciple if i’ve ever seen one. and one who may actually be a better HC than the guy we’ve currently got. 😡 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Rage+1 2

2 hours ago, Reality Check said:

If Texas plays like it did vs. Kansas State and West Virginia and at Baylor and at Oklahoma, they will likely beat Oklahoma State and Oklahoma.
I'm not sure how "regressing" is being 2-2 in the last four games -- including the biggest blowout of the conference season against a team we lost on the road to -- with road losses to a pair of Top 6 teams.

we played them at home you dipshit

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, Reality Check said:

This.

This is a poster who needs to take his own user name. 

This is just a bit and right??

You are honestly going to ride this RT bullshit like it's a good thing until he gets fired after next season??

Good Luck... 

but I expect that Texas will be looking for a new Men's Head Basketball Coach very soon...

2 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

cross posted:

This is the only game in Texas’s history where EVERY SINGLE player on the opposing team (that shot the ball at least once) shot AT LEAST 50% or better

holy fuck

But, but that was because of the mess CB left.

32 minutes ago, Herpa Derpa said:

I will keep demanding Red Auerbach until I'm heard!

I mean Red wouldn't want to deal with recruiting and playin school, I'm thinking Wooden knows the college game a bit better if I had a choice.

Aside from the absolute certainty that Texas will not win another game this year -- or maybe if they get really lucky end up beating Oklahoma State at home on Saturday -- the other thing I love about this forum is that these are the number of 20-win seasons Texas coaches have had dating back 50 years: 

Abe Lemons: 2 in six seasons (26, 21)
Bob Weltlich: 0 in six seasons (closest was 19-14 in '85-'86)
Tom Penders: 7 in 10 seasons (26, 25, 24, 23, 23, 23, 21)
Rick Barnes: 15 in 17 seasons (31, 30, 28, 26, 25, 25, 25, 24, 24, 24, 23, 22, 20, 20, 20)  
Shaka Smart: 2 in six seasons (21, 20)
Chris Beard: 1.5 in 1.5 seasons (22)
Rodney Terry: 0.5 in one season; currently 17-10 with at least five games to go (29 total wins including Beard's 7-1 start)
TOTAL: 28 in 47 seasons

So suddenly we're absolutely confident that we should be tossing a coach out the door -- before the end of his first full season and in the wake of an Elite Eight run? 
I must have missed where Texas became Kansas, North Carolina or Duke and is entitled to reach the Sweet 16 more years than they don't.

• Haha 1

Excellence is required at Texas.  If you want mediocre take your energy some where else.

Using past mediocrity at Texas as your argument,  and that we as Texas basketball fans are expecting/demanding too much from RT is total bullshit.

Texas Basketball fans deserve better than the current shit that being put on the court right now.  Fuck the past.  I saw TJ Ford get us to a Final 4, BMW get us to an Elite 8, and last year Texas was a whisker away from another Final 4.  Getting to at least a Sweet 16 should fuckin' be the expectation every year at Texas!!!  🤘

• Hook 'Em 5

Missing the tournament isn't acceptable. There's 68 teams in the fucker.

The record right now is only part of the story. It's how this team is built and how sloppy and inconsistent it plays. Abmas should be able to fill an AJ Abrams role and not be the number 1 scoring threat on the team. Shedrick is 3rd center off the bench level and Onyema isn't P5 level. Cunningham is great as a few minutes a night emergency big but shouldn't be a rotational big. Mitchell is just too one trick pony and can't shoot. And worst of all Hunter is a complete disaster which causes a hole at the most important position on the court. 

How many last second game winners has Abmas hit against lesser competition like Louisville this year? 3 right? That's some late game heroics away from being a 14 win team in late February 

• Hook 'Em 1

Please name all the great schools that got to the Sweet 16 every year in the last 20 years, last 10 years, last 5 years. This is Bill Self's 21st season at KU, and he's barely over .500 at that expectation.

Beard was fired in disgrace after beating up his finace. In his 3 chances to sign HS players, he brought in exactly one player that stayed more than a single season with the program.

Tyson 5-star that left after a semester.

Morris - 5-star that assaulted a female friend before he stepped foot on campus, left after a season and raped a woman while at KU.

Mitchell - 5-star athlete with little basketball skill, sounds familar to the previous coach.

Anamewke - 3-star that was a late addition that has been a program player, but probably not good enough to ever get significant minutes.

Johnson - 4/5-star that didn't have the grades nor the desire to go to college.

Holland - 5-star that decided he'd rather piss his draft stock down his leg than go to college.

So after a season in which Texas made the Elite 8 for the 1st time in 20+ years, Texas was looking at a roster with 2 returning players, a 6th year SR glue guy and a low-star player with little upside. Great job by the previous coach to lay a strong fondation for the next guy.

In Terry's two chances to bring in HS talent. He has signed

Johnson - 4-star guard that he flipped from KU

Pryor - 4-star forward that he got to recalssify and agreed to RS.

Johnson - 5-star wing that will likely so up on campus and there is a chance he's as good as Walter is for Baylor this year.

Scott - 4-star guard that has a very good outside shot.

Codie - 4-star forward that Kelvin Sampson wanted badly.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Missing the tournament isn't acceptable. There's 68 teams in the fucker.

The record right now is only part of the story. It's how this team is built and how sloppy and inconsistent it plays. Abmas should be able to fill an AJ Abrams role and not be the number 1 scoring threat on the team. Shedrick is 3rd center off the bench level and Onyema isn't P5 level. Cunningham is great as a few minutes a night emergency big but shouldn't be a rotational big. Mitchell is just too one trick pony and can't shoot. And worst of all Hunter is a complete disaster which causes a hole at the most important position on the court. 

How many last second game winners has Abmas hit against lesser competition like Louisville this year? 3 right? That's some late game heroics away from being a 14 win team in late February 

Texas is also a few missed FTs or mitchell's dunks away from having 2-3 more wins if you want to play the what-if game. We all expected Hunter and Mitchell to take the next step, but neither are capable. Any other coach besides Terry and everyone on this board is saying give the guy a chance to fix the mess left by Beard.

What mess left by Beard? Beard had a team put together and coached well enough to win the big 12 tournament title and get to the elite 8 last year even after he was gone during the season. Beard was poised to bring in 3 top recruits and most likely would have been much more successful in the portal like he was the previous off-seasons. Terry couldn't retain the recruits, built an off balanced team through portal acquisitions, and coached this new team in a way where they're regressing and playing sloppy/ poorly on defense in late February. 

• Hook 'Em 2

My wanting Rodney Terry fired has nothing to do with how many wins we have and everything to do with how this team plays. They just clearly aren't well coached. They are inconsistent as fuck. They underachieve. I don't need to look at the box score to understand that this team isn't getting better as the season wears on.

Edited by Pam Cummings
  • Hook 'Em 3

This has been such a weird situation. The collective response last April was basically "Congrats Rodney! You earned the job! Now we're of course going to be firing him in two or three years, but he sure did earn it!". Like I doubt anyone even considered the possibility that Rodney might be here for 10-15 years. 

• Hook 'Em 2

15 hours ago, Reality Check said:

Aside from the absolute certainty that Texas will not win another game this year -- or maybe if they get really lucky end up beating Oklahoma State at home on Saturday -- the other thing I love about this forum is that these are the number of 20-win seasons Texas coaches have had dating back 50 years: 

Abe Lemons: 2 in six seasons (26, 21)
Bob Weltlich: 0 in six seasons (closest was 19-14 in '85-'86)
Tom Penders: 7 in 10 seasons (26, 25, 24, 23, 23, 23, 21)
Rick Barnes: 15 in 17 seasons (31, 30, 28, 26, 25, 25, 25, 24, 24, 24, 23, 22, 20, 20, 20)  
Chris Beard: 1.5 in 1.5 seasons (22)
Rodney Terry: 0.5 in one season; currently 17-10 with at least five games to go (29 total wins including Beard's 7-1 start)
TOTAL: 28 in 47 seasons

So suddenly we're absolutely confident that we should be tossing a coach out the door -- before the end of his first full season and in the wake of an Elite Eight run? 
I must have missed where Texas became Kansas, North Carolina or Duke and is entitled to reach the Sweet 16 more years than they don't.

D53412A2-8C86-449B-B93D-7CDC3DE9D4E6.gif.9baf1a38a26d51b6ace8ba313e31abbd.gif

• Haha 3

15 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Excellence is required at Texas.  If you want mediocre take your energy some where else.

Since when is a No. 27 ranking in RPI mediocrity? 
You guys are bound and determined to put a toe tag on this team and send Rodney Terry to the unemployment line when we're not even to March yet. It's borderline sociopathic. 

8 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

So Rick Barnes has his team at 4 and Shaka has his team at 5.

Well that's just great.

The same geniuses demanding Terry's ouster here were on previous boards demanding both be fired; Shaka certainly didn't do anything to justify staying but pushing Barnes out was just plain stupid. (Cue the baseless "both Texas and Barnes needed a change" platitude.)

10 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

So Rick Barnes has his team at 4 and Shaka has his team at 5.

Well that's just great.

one of terry’s firmer UT assistant buddies (rob lanier) has SMU at no.44 in his second year as HC (Texas is only 8 spots ahead at no.36) and his team actually has an identifiable ethos and play style. so that feels good to know.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Reality Check said:

The same geniuses demanding Terry's ouster here were on previous boards demanding both be fired; Shaka certainly didn't do anything to justify staying but pushing Barnes out was just plain stupid. (Cue the baseless "both Texas and Barnes needed a change" platitude.)

The worst part is, we had our guy.

angry mark cuban GIF

• Like 1

i posted that chart here earlier this year that showed that Texas is one of the most volatile teams in the country, prone to both giving up as well as going 10-0 (or more) runs. we saw it in the miami game last year, and it’s never really stopped. there’s no stability, nothing you can count on from this team game to game, or even tv timeout to tv timeout. we have no foundation, and RT has no identity. so many people here posting about how “we have no way to know what next year’s team will look like”, as if there’s any combination of available players we could sign where it would matter. as long as RT is in charge we’re spinning out wheels, it’s that simple.

• Hook 'Em 3